Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What types of fragrance advertising do you consider affect your decision to buy

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Print advertising

17 15.04%
  • Television advertising

7 6.19%
  • Store Counter advertising materials

9 7.96%
  • Use of a 'face' / celebrity to front the fragrance

4 3.54%
  • Internet advertising

13 11.50%
  • None of the above

81 71.68%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What types of fragrance advertising do you consider affect your decision to buy fragrances

I'm interested in your comments too.
    Last edited by Grant; 21st January 2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: What types of fragrance advertising do you consider effect your decision to buy fragrances

I voted None of the above. Advertising plays no role in what I choose to buy.

I completely ignore fragrance advertising. I get information about fragrances primarily from Basenotes and other internet resources, as well as helpful shop employees. Ultimately I make my own choices based on first hand sniffing.

I don't read magazines or watch television programs which contain fragrance ads, couldn't care less what some actor or musician or model thinks, and am basically oblivious to internet ads.

Default Re: What types of fragrance advertising do you consider effect your decision to buy fragrances

I also voted none of the above, out of sheer angst for the fact that 90% of advertised frags are pure BS! they're the companies with money to boast and no love and warmth to host, If I want to find my holy grail, I either use Basenotes (Because it's a legit review site) and I'll squander through every shop, samples and online stores until I find my best bet, I sample,sample,sample and sample because the true beauty of individuality is what you fancy and no one else!

- Balava!
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

My thoughts are same as noggs.

As much as I like to believe I am immune to advertisements I am sure I am not. However, I am not as exposed to perfume advertisements as most people: I don't watch TV, I use ad-block online, perfumes are not advertised in the magazines I read, and I avoid retailers where advertising is common (department stores, etc).

Hmmm, Same I am not immune though I sure as hell fight!
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Blog Entries

Default Re: What types of fragrance advertising do you consider affect your decision to buy fragrances

I voted, 'use of a face celebrity.' I have to admit that attaching a famous name to a fragrance makes me more skeptical and less likely to buy.

Default Re: What types of fragrance advertising do you consider affect your decision to buy fragrances

Reviews, word of mouth, and samples are the only things that influence my decision to buy.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

I agree with what's been posted above. Nothing influences me, apart from my mood and what I feel like wearing at that moment. Same with clothes and accessories. I go my own way and just follow the trends because I shop at regular stores (what they have is what I get).

Concluding: the less a fragrance is advertised (the more unknown it is) the more I want it. Just because nobody else will smell like I do. Again, same with clothing and accessories. I'm an anti-trend person.

Sur la Plage

None of the above - I let my nose make the decision.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Alrighty then,

"I'm ubuandibeme, and I'm an advertisers dream come true!"

Yep, I'm a sucker for an attention getting ad. Good looking model, interesting scene, celebrity - maybe, catchy tune, clever and unique theme, nice looking bottle and or packaging...any and all of the above will get me to TRY a fragrance. As for a purchase? Well, that's all about the juice!

Isn't Serge Lutens a celebrity?

Advertising can make me aware of fragrances I hadn't heard of, but I trust reviews, word of mouth and my nose.

I love perfume ads for the imagery, and I do think they work for someone who isn't a savvy fragrance shopper; there's a high probability that they will reach for a familiar bottle at the dept store.

Turin and Sanchez, what else...?
    I listen to 10 or 20% of those BN members I had a chance of getting to know better via reviews and posts or their ability to see beauty beyond their own borders.
    Last edited by narcus; 21st January 2010 at 06:42 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I should also make mention of another tidbit that catches my attention:

If a frag is advertised as "the first" "the only" "the last" "the highest quality" or the perfumers' name and/or inspiration is attached to the ad, I'm very likely to seek out a sample. The more history/facts about the scent that is published, the more interest is created. Just MHO!

Most of the fragrances I wear don't have advertising budgets. That said, I love vintage, illustrated Guerlain ads, I wish someone would do an ad campaign using fabulous illustrations again. The one thing that influences my curiosity is magazine editorial reviews, I love when a magazine like The Financial Times How To Spend It covers niche.

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    Reviews, word of mouth, and samples are the only things that influence my decision to buy.
    +1.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I voted None of the Above.

The last ad I can recall actually interesting me in a perfume house was an ad for some Annick Goutal or other, back in the early 1990s, in Victoria magazine. The ad had an attractive image suited to the magazine's readership and caught my eye as I had not heard of Annick Goutal before.

What influences me to try a perfume is reading reviews and (especially) discussions about a fragrance on BN and blogs.
    What influences me to buy is sampling. I've learned that blind buys don't work for me.

as a graphic designer (still student.. finishing) I'd say printing advertisement. I always look at those large posters on trainstations etc. but the biggest one will be the bottle.. a good bottle almost asks me to buy, haha.
    unico grande amore.

Advertising does not affect me in any important way. Reading reviews from people who KNOW, whether it's a blog, Turin & Sanchez, or a fellow BN'er is what leads me to sample and purchase.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

In order of importance:

1. Basenoters' reviews and comments, especially from those whose noses seem to have been in agreement with mine in past buys.

2. What I smell and like in the real world. Testers in brick and mortar stores, scent I like on people and they identify when asked, samples I acquire as extras from Basenotes For Sale and Swap Threads purchase, trades and outright Basenoter generosity.
    Last edited by kbe; 21st January 2010 at 08:03 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

To be honest, of course advertising plays a part. It tells me a lot about the fragrance and which demographic it is aimed at. Almost always, it rules the fragrance out for me, but some low level internet advertising may catch my attention.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Print advertising has provided my income for decades, but as a consumer of goods, I'm all about research and reviews.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Institution

A half naked, hunky male model will sure get me to sit up and take notice of a scent...but to actually buy it? No. None of the above.

Hi Grant,

I'll always look at the advertising - probably because I see so little of it. On television in this country I could count 3 advertisements for fragrance in the past 6 months. I read only one magazine regularly (Vanity Fair International Edition) - where the fragrance advertisements are directed to women for the most part. The weekend supplements from the broadsheet newspapers don't carry fragrance advertisements. The in-store displays can catch the eye, but have no further effect. I go to the cinema (almost) every week, and I don't see fragrance advertisements there.

Advertising has no influence on my decision to purchase at all. With the exception of TdH I can't recall seeing any advertising for any fragrance in my wardrobe. And I'd bought the TdH long before I saw any advertisement.

I think the role of advertising in this market is really to raise awareness - for all the new fragrances 'launched' onto the market there's barely a ripple in the pond.

What does influence my decision to purchase? What I look for is information - I want to know the fragrance pyramid. I look for reviews - how does someone else describe this fragrance? Most importantly, what do I think it smells like? The advice of a knowledgeable sales assistant. Sampling, sampling, sampling.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 21st January 2010 at 10:56 PM.

As most have said above, none of the choices affect my decision. It never had but especially now that I'm more experienced, only BN and such reviews and news, Internet research, and smapling affect my decision.

I have to say that celebrity involvement is almost guaranteed to repel me. Store advertising doesn't do much either mostly because I avoid the counters in order to avoid fake and uninformed salespersons (no offense to those who are truly professionals but I rarely come across them).

However, I enjoy print ads and video presentations tremendously. But they have to be a little more elaborate and meaningful like some of the old Caron photos and the Chanel No. 5 movies--great but don't influence my purchase.
    RM

Quote Originally Posted by Lessa View Post
    Advertising does not affect me in any important way. Reading reviews from people who KNOW, whether it's a blog, Turin & Sanchez, or a fellow BN'er is what leads me to sample and purchase.
    Ditto this.

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    I voted, 'use of a face celebrity.' I have to admit that attaching a famous name to a fragrance makes me more skeptical and less likely to buy.
    And this. :-)

Interesting poll!

If stores' counter-top testers are considered a form of advertising, then they are certainly the most effective form of advertising. The first stage of getting me to buy a fragrance is allowing me to smell it.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 22nd January 2010 at 02:36 AM.

The advertising of any fragrance puts me off right away . The fragrance should speak for itsself

Print / TV ads have never led me to something I own.
    Reviews - LT & TS, Basenotes and one or two other sites are what have influenced a decision to try something.
    Editorial - I ordered GIT in the late 90s after reading about it in GQ and I guess some of the blogs I look at (via basenotes) would count as editorial content when pre-release news comes out and there's an expectant buzz underway.
    Possibly internet advertising if I notice a new release on the Luckyscent / AZL homepage - "online point of sale" right?

I vote none of the above. I'm never swayed by advertising when it comes to fragrance. Besides, so many of the print ads I see for fragrance are laughably ridiculous. If anything, they dissuade me from the advertised fragrance instead of winning me over.

Basenotes Plus

Advertising has a tendancy to irritate me especially if it involves some "celebrity" or other. The sort of stuff that is plugged mercilessly is usually complete garbage anyway (Hugo Element, 1 Million - I rest my case). BN, sampling and my own nose have always served me well enough.
    Answer - None of the above.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 22nd January 2010 at 09:20 PM.

"None of the above"

I am swayed by reading articles about people I like or respect and hearing them describe a perfume they love as an experience- that can spur me on. Seeing a beautiful countertop or window display and lovely pretty bottles- also a weak spot for me. Cap it all off with reading rave reviews- I'm opening my wallet

I would never a buy a fragrance based on ads alone (I might buy a scent without testing it, but not without reading descriptions/ articles/ critiques about it, some kind of notes list is also a must), but print ads might make me curious to test the fragrance if they appeal to me.

The thing is, most often they don't, because the current trend of using celebs as "faces" for frags puts me off instantly...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Institution

I voted for internet and print advertising . These are what I come across daily I guess and subliminally work on my soft brain .
    However, more word of mouth on Basenotes and reviews on perfume blogs influence me.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

The question should really be what advertising affects your decision to try a fragrance - as that's really its goal, at least in regards to the scent-savvy people out there like us BNers.

With that in mind, the bottle, the name of the fragrance, and the general aura it projects (gothic, nature-oriented, etc) definitely does affect my interest in the scent and hence may make me interested in trying it. The ads for Terre d'Hermes and Fahrenheit 32 were both excellent (and did influence me to try F32, although I hated it!). Further, notes listings can get me very very interested in a scent (or the opposite, of course!).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

I'm not fussed by any of the above forms of advertising. If I don't like the way the fragrance smells there's no way in hell that a famous face or a fancy television ad is going to persuade me to choose otherwise.

I'm not immune to advertising. A tasteful print ad or TV commercial can lead to a higher likelihood of me testing the fragrance sometime in the future. Tasteless advertising has the opposite effect. But advertising does never directly lead to buying.
    Last edited by jpkunst; 23rd January 2010 at 08:45 AM.
    Jan Pieter

None of the above. I don't watch TV or read print publications, at least not ones that would have perfume ads. I don't look at online advertising, even if it moves. I learn about fragrances from BaseNotes, another forum, and perfume blogs. Presumably a fragrance has to be advertised before it gets mentioned or reviewed in these venues, so I suppose I am indirectly influenced by all kinds of advertising.

If a fragrance sounds interesting, I'll send off for a sample. If I love the sample, I might buy a larger decant, but this category is probably less than 5% of what I try. I don't do full bottles of anything because they're so #$@^&*+ expensive, and there's so much I'd rather sample.

A celebrity name and face associated with a perfume is a real turn-off for me. I'd have to read a lot of glowing reviews by credible noses before even bringing myself to sniff it on the rare occasion when I'm in Sephora.

Another vote for none of the above. I go by reviews on blogs and sites, have no interest in the celebs paid you push fragrances.
    DONNA

Make it something like this:

Alain Delon: Iquitos (1987)
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 24th January 2010 at 10:44 PM.

Although I selected "none of the above," I will investigate further when the ad includes favorable, detailed comments from a perfumista I respect ... and then I go to Basenotes for member comments. My nose is the final authority, of course, but I have purchased based on the above.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Sure, I have learnt a lot as a Basenoter. But I'm exposed to ads as much as the next person so it would be absurd of me to say I'm immune to any of them. Unless you live under a rock, I believe ads do affect many of us, either consciously or subconsciously, positively or negatively. While ads do not directly influence my perfume purchasing decision, clever ads can and do intrigue me enough to at least sample the fragrance. Isn't this fundamentally the first step in any perfume buying consideration?

Definitely not immune and a good ad might put something on my radar, but then only to investigate further. Descriptions on here and fragrance blogs definitely influence my purchasing/sampling, but I am a sucker for editorial and journalistic descriptions of scents, which I hope are not part of the marketing machine. Case in point, that New Yorker piece on Ellena and the making of Un Jardin sur le Nil sparked my interest, but I liked the scent for it's own merits.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

An inspiring, non-commercial and mainly non-marketing (so actually neutral towards the aspect whether I am going to be a buyer or not) with a soft-spoken, extremely cultured niche frag store SA with a nearly endless resource of fragrance knowledge and/or fragrance trivia can work miracles on me and my state of mind, though nearly crippling setbacks of my bank account (wisely and voluptuously squandered )

NONE OF THE ABOVE! I too use Basenotes to read about the fragrance, then I go to smell it and if I like it, I purchase it like many others.

I actually voted "Print Advert" but this would not be the present, this would be when I was younger.

Ads featuring Carole Bouquet for Chanel. Jerry Hall for YSL Opium. The wide-brimmed hat featured so prominently in the Ivoire de Balmain ads. The ads from the 80's were the best. They really gave life to the scents, they made you want to become part of "that" world.

One like this;

Perfection!
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

None. I think most fragrance advertising is unbearably silly.

I pay attention to the blogs and perfume forums in making buying decisions.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Generally, none, although some actively put me off. But on the whole I don't like being patronized, I don't like being lied to, and I certainly don't like being told what sort of man I will be if I buy X. I know what sort of man I am, and I've never come across one in a fragrance ad that I'd prefer to be. (Most of them I'd run a mile from.)

According to the Habit Rouge drivel, I am, today, a man who:

"... is intimately aware of his powers of seduction and the only thing that ruffles his perfect outward appearance is the faint glimmer of uncontrollable passion that smoulders deep in his eyes.

He advances boldly with an allure of rare sophistication that borders on the limits of insolence.

He likes to think that his perfume should resemble him, be his double, his alter ego.

It has to be simple, and yet totally exceptional, just like himself."

Yes. It's me! I am JUST like that! Deluded. Insincere. Crushingly insecure. Gullible. And somehow, indefinably vulgar. Yes. That's me okay.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by bargepole View Post
    "... is intimately aware of his powers of seduction and the only thing that ruffles his perfect outward appearance is the faint glimmer of uncontrollable passion that smoulders deep in his eyes.

He advances boldly with an allure of rare sophistication that borders on the limits of insolence.

He likes to think that his perfume should resemble him, be his double, his alter ego.

It has to be simple, and yet totally exceptional, just like himself."
    I'd rather hear the screech of nails on a chalkboard then read such cheesy ad copies... about Habit Rouge at that. LOL.

I'm not so naive as to pretend that advertising exerts no influence over me. However, I'm probably more likely to be positively influenced whenever I'm not aware I'm being marketed to - obvious attempts are generally off-putting.

In the poll, I checked: Store Counter, Use of a 'face' / celebrity and Internet advertising, for different reasons. Use of a celebrity to peddle wares annoys me on so many levels that my desire to test/buy the product goes south almost immediately. So I'm influenced, sure. I don't own a tv, nor do I see many printed publications that would feature fragrance ads. So internet (through the filter of BN and blogs) is my main exposure to advertising. After that, stores. Again, it's likely that I'm only very aware of advertising that annoys me.

I'm probably susceptible to word-of-mouth and/or subtle shilling/hyping. Mild snob appeal helps. Context/internet ad placement helps (I'd be more inclined to click an ad on Now Smell This than on xxxParfumeKittyxxx34's blog).
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

This topic is, of course, making me think about how the 3 Basenotes fragrances will be advertised. Will there be advertising other than on Basenotes itself? Perhaps on fragrance blogs that accept ads? Maybe an interview on Sniffapalooza?
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 27th January 2010 at 04:39 PM.

"What types of fragrance advertising do you consider affect your decision to buy fragrances?"

Notes.

'Doesn't matter if they're printed on something a tree died to make, or printed via photons from a monitor, or babbled from the lips of a talking celebrity head. If I look back thru all the purchases I've made, I've nearly always made one based on what I heard was inside.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    Notes.
    And so I guess that's why Basenotes and Basenotes members have been my biggest source of "advertising" ever!
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

I voted for 'none of the above,' but in actuality I'm sort of influenced by all of the above. I echo ECaruthers's sentiments exactly, I'm trying to get over that, as well! I really dislike television fume ads, I always have. Most the visions marketers have for their fumes are shallow, to me. I'm so not into the over-glamorized, over-sexed, half naked models thing. Some of the tv ads are just plain bizarre. Print ads are better if they feature a smelly strip. This is why I seldom became interested in any fume. Before BN, there were two department store fumes over the course of, like, five or six years that really knocked my socks off. That's why I was so stoked to find the Perfumed Court and you all. I think names influence me more, now. I loved the obscureness of No. 22; Alien just sounded right up my alley. Notes do to an extent, but I'm finding there is no real rhyme or reason to what my favorites are. I do prefer gourmands, animalics, and tropical florals, but my very favorite is none of those.

Aren't I just such a help!

Blog Entries

I voted "none of the above" because I purchase fragrance based on being an informed consumer. Advertising attempts to have you identify with love, femininity or sophisticated male concept identification via a celebrity endorsement that gets attention and sells product. I am enticed to look into a fragrance based on what house that produces it and then if it meets with my preferences.

I voted "non of the above".

I can appreciate a nice paper ad, and sometimes I see an ad I haven't seen before which evokes my curiosity, but never enough to buy. Word of mouth, reviews and my own curiosity gets me sampling, but I won't by unless I like the stuff, not depending on ads and other people's opinions.

Print ads; primarily the old-style illustrations and some of the better ones you see these days make me intrigued enough to sample the fragrance sometimes. I am quite a visual person so it's pleasing to see a good print ad. The only two perfumes I remember actually buying based on ads are Gold and Alien - both had scent-infused pads in a magazine that allowed me to apply the product, then go to a shop to try and then buy.

When celebrity names and faces are used in advertising I am usually fairly put off (depends on the celebrity of course - I certainly don't mind Audreu Tautou's Chanel ads!).

TV ads of fragrance are mostly annoying.

Basenotes reviews and discussions are my biggest buying-enablers for sure.

I am somewhat of a sucker for a cool bottle, but that's not an option here. That's still vastly outweighed by the juice, though.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    Make it something like this:

Alain Delon: Iquitos (1987)
    I was going to say that 'No form of fragrance advertisement makes me want to go & purchase or even try a fragrance' but this Iquitos ad is intriguing. This one for sure makes me want to give another try (probably the 7th or the 8th) to my Iquitos. Therefore I think, sub consciously an intriguing ad can work on my mind, not to buy blind but alteast try it out.

The whole point of advertising a product is to sell it: I won't go out and buy a fragrance based on what I've seen on a T.V. ad or whatever but when a fragrance advert is always on T.V. it will make me more and more curious which probably a good thing because it makes me more want to research that particular fragrance. Celebrities advertising fragrances can work either way. For some if they see their 'idol' advertising a fragrance it'll make them want to buy regardless even if they've never smelt the fragrance because for the simple reason it's their idol advertising it. I have no problem with celebrities advertising fragrances... it certainly won't make me want to buy it straight away but it might make me interested for the simple fact this celebrity is advertising it and I like to see what all the fuss is about.

The key is for companies is to match the fragance with their advertising... too many times have I seen a very impressive fragrance ad only to be let down when I actually smell it, the most recent fragrance for me which has produced amazing success with the ad and with the fragrance itself is probably 1 Million.

I think I'll stick with reading reviews and trying before I buy but I wlecome fragrance ad's because some are made so well and it gets me curious.