Code of Conduct

Default Beard Styling Help

Hi Basenotes,

I'm 28 and have just grown my first beard after years of being clean shaven lol.

Some people like my beard and think it makes me look manly and sexy. Other people just didn't like the beard on me without articulating why--I asked for constructive criticism but naysayers were shy. I find the development of these too camps exciting as I have always played it safe with my personal style.

I tried looking for beard styling and shaping videos online and couldn't find any good ones. I want a beard that has a little style to it but not too trendy or over the top.

I know this is vague, but I am a newbie in this department. Any videos or sites online that could help me style and shape my beard? I've got the necessary tools at hand.

I'm willing to experiment. Worst case scenario is I try something and then clean shave it off lol.

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me out. Cheers.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Beard Styling Help

Find a barber who knows a thing or two about cutting, trimming and/or shaping beards and let him do it. I have rocked a beard for about the last 3-4 years and I couldn't have done it without the help of my barber, Manny. It's just too hard and too detailed oriented for me to do myself.

And for what it's worth: I also have people who LOVED my beard when I grew it and also HATED it. I stopped trying to please both camps (when I would shave it certain people would be happy and certain people would be upset...WTF?) and just wear it because I LIKE IT.

I think most guys with beards, if they wear it with confidence and they don't shave it into stupid, silly designs, look HOT. But that's just me.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd January 2010 at 04:26 PM.

I also wear a beard Xephon.
    I wore it for years in what I called a short "centurion style", and didn't allow it to grow too long.
    After a while I tired of the constant shaping and wore it "au naturale", but didnt like to let it get too bushy. This was not only an aesthetic consideration, but also because it got extremely itchy and annoying if left untamed.

When I wanted a change, I simply googled beards (image search) and found some celeb styles I wanted to try.
    I began shaping them a little differently until I found a shape that suited me. I would grow it fully during the week and trim on a friday evening. If I didn't particularly like what I saw by the end of the weekend, I would be clean-shaven again for work on Monday. Fortunately I can grow a beard out again in about 4-5 days, so it was never too much of a drama changing it.

Nowadays I wear a style that I found online and shaped myself and Im very pleased with it. (see avatar).
    With a simple beard trimmer (with detachable shield), and a disposable razor you can achieve wonders
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 22nd January 2010 at 05:03 PM.

Since we are on the topic of beards here, I've always really enjoyed this style, on others that is...

But then again, I do enjoy the classic gentlemanly look on none other than Sir Connery himself...

I posted some interesting beard info (for laughs) on the forum, and this is the only one I located in the archives. First of all, to look attractive, one must have the facial hair to pull it off. Some men just don't have the right growth to look well. There are many sites on how to cultivate an attractive beard.

Almost everything you want to know about beards:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/238...e-hirsute-male
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thanks Mike.

I like the idea of two factions warring over my beard. I wear it mostly for myself but I do get a little thrill when I receive a compliment. When people tell me they dont like my beard I think it actually grows faster as an act of defiance.

I have a good barber but he doesn't do beards and doesnt know of anyone who is skilled at shaping them.

Anyone know of a good barber in the Boston area who is a beard master. It's a reach but maybe I will get lucky.

That's a hot style you've got there. Looks very versatile and dashing. You rogue!

It's great that you can style your facial hair yourself.

I can keep my beard well trimmed, clean looking, and soft. However, I don't dare try my hand at detail work because my hands are very shakey. I hope this will change when I become more confident and adventurous.

I've googled beards too and found some very interesting and attractive styles. When I see these styles I sometimes lose confidence and doubt that I could "pull off" the style. I also wonder what shape my face is and what beard suits it best.

I've been trying to become more fashionable after years of being t-shirt and jeans, so I'm very cautious with my fashion explorations. Yet I want change!
    Last edited by Xephon23; 23rd January 2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: EDIT: I wonder how short I should keep my beard trimmed. My trimmer has different settings. If I cut it short is frisky.

I'm envious of you guys. As a guy of Chinese descent I can only dream of styling my beard. I'm 27 and I can't even grow Orlando Bloom's style of beard. Any tips to get my facial hair growing ?
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Xephon, if it isn't too personal - have you a face pic somewhere on the net that we can see? You are right when you say that much of how a style will look is very dependant on your face shape - and texture/thickness/colour of your hair as well.
    I may be able to advise better and send you some links to styles if I see what we're dealing with. (You don't have to post photos here - I invite you to PM me if you would prefer).

Hi Dimitri,

Thanks for the offer! I will try to have a new pic taken sometime this week and will send it to your basenotes inbox. I appreciate your attention and advice.

Cheers,
    Xephon

Look forward to it Xeph!

Quote Originally Posted by Xephon23 View Post
    Hi Basenotes,

I'm 28 and have just grown my first beard after years of being clean shaven lol.

Some people like my beard and think it makes me look manly and sexy. Other people just didn't like the beard on me without articulating why--I asked for constructive criticism but naysayers were shy. I find the development of these too camps exciting as I have always played it safe with my personal style.

I tried looking for beard styling and shaping videos online and couldn't find any good ones. I want a beard that has a little style to it but not too trendy or over the top.

I know this is vague, but I am a newbie in this department. Any videos or sites online that could help me style and shape my beard? I've got the necessary tools at hand.

I'm willing to experiment. Worst case scenario is I try something and then clean shave it off lol.

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me out. Cheers.
    Xephon, best wishes on finding a good barber. Don't get too discouraged about the beard and growth. Much of it is testosterone/genetics. Just as some men go bald and have to deal with it--or some women have a small bosom--you have to do with (to use a card metaphor) "the hand you were dealt."
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hi again Basenoters. I've got a question. The skin under my beard has become dry and itchy. When I use facial moisturizer my beard looks greasy for a while. Are there any products (hopefully inexpensive lol) that moisturize the face and also condition the beard without leaving unattractive residue in the beard?

Thanks from a fashion nooob.

Hi again Basenoters. I've got a question. The skin under my beard has become dry and itchy. When I use facial moisturizer my beard looks greasy for a while. Are there any products (hopefully inexpensive lol) that moisturize the face and also condition the beard without leaving unattractive residue in the beard?

Thanks from a fashion noob.

Xephon23 - you might want to try a beard shampoo/conditioner product - I use Beardsley shampoo and conditioner on mine. They're specially formulated to not irritate the skin underneath, and they make my beard feel good. I got mine at ebarbershop.com, but undoubtedly other places/sites also carry it.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Xephon23 View Post

Thanks from a fashion noob.
    I agree with the above post.

Same thing happened to me, when I grew a beard. So, every couple of days this is what I do: I wash my bear with dandruff shampoo, which alleviates itchy, dry, flaky skin. Then after I rinse it off, i put conditioner on my beard (hair conditioner) and rinse that off. This should take care of it for you.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I wash my bear with dandruff shampoo, which alleviates itchy, dry, flaky skin.
    Does he fit in the tub?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I wash my bear ...
    I was on the same page as Joe here Thats some slip Mike!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I was on the same page as Joe here Thats some slip Mike!
    The question is if it is an animal or a big hairy gay man......
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    The question is if it is an animal or a big hairy gay man......
    Well, I wasn't thinking Paddington.
    (Unless by some twist of fate, there happens a big hairy gay man out there, named Paddington).

Basenotes Institution

LOL (giggle)

Washing bears and washing beards in the shower...it's all good. (wink)
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 27th January 2010 at 04:38 PM.

Hahaha. Thanks for the suggestions.

Xephon I have two suggestions for you to go get your beard styled at. The gentleman's Lounge on Newbury St. and State Street Barbers in the South end. If you bring in a pic of astyle you like the stylists at both places will do you right. I have used both of them and I've worn a beard for over 30 years now.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Hi Somerville Metro Man,

Thanks for the local recommendations! I have heard of these barber shops but never had the chance to try them. When I go it will be just for the beard trim--I'm loyal to my barber haha.
    I dont know what beard style would work best for my face, so I will eave it up to the experts. I imagine it must feel great to have the beard groomed professionally. It must look and feel great.