Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Tobacco Fragrances Question

I am interested in trying / buying some fragrances that have tobacco notes in them, but have always shyed away from them because I am allergic to tobacco. Do these fragrances actually contain tobacco or is it some combination of other ingrediants that give a tobacco smell? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tobacco Fragrances Question

I seriously doubt any scents actually contain tobacco. I think if they did, at least in the US, there would have to be a Surgeons General warning on the bottle, like with cigarettes. I would think spraying tobacco juice might have the same effect as chewing tobacco and you'd get a slight "nicotine high" when your skin absorbs it. I think that would cause some controversy with a lot of potential customers. I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

I believe when a scent lists "tobacco" as a note, the tobacco is a perfumery accord that resembles tobacco, not actual tobacco oils. I hope someone else can chime in in, case I'm wrong about this.
    Last edited by shamu1; 23rd January 2010 at 12:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Polo Green! A must!!
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Many tobacco scents will be synthetic, but some will also contain the heavenly tobacco absolute. I have some of it in my lab and it's a heavenly sweet/hay/slightly floral scent which is reminiscent of loose tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by Balavassassin View Post
    Polo Green! A must!!
    i hate this scent!

Try in order:

> Versace the Dreamer
    > Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme

Both have tobacco notes, with the former being a lighter version of the other IMO. Some BNers say the drydown is different from each other, but I just don't get to the drydown of The Dreamer enough to notice (I own both Btw, and prefer the latter).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately it may be quite common to have tobacco absolute in the juice since it is not a very expensive absolute. But maybe you can do some test spraying on your inner arm and see if you react to them.

Michael for Men (Michael Kors) is a pretty nice tobacco and very sexy.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heparfumerie View Post
    Michael for Men (Michael Kors) is a pretty nice tobacco and very sexy.
    I agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You may try V pour Homme by Valentino. There is definitely a tobacco note in this lovely long-lasting frag, although tobacco is not officially listed in its notes.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Versace's The Dreamer.

Post Thanks / Like

Luckily, tobacco absolute is a very powerful scent and only a small amount is necessary to give a strong tobacco note. Are you allergic primarily to the smoke, or do you break out in hives if you touch the leaves?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Luckily, tobacco absolute is a very powerful scent and only a small amount is necessary to give a strong tobacco note. Are you allergic primarily to the smoke, or do you break out in hives if you touch the leaves?
    I don't know about touching the leaves, but the smoke literally makes me ill with a bad headache, burning sinuses, and a very good chance to develop a sinus infection. My mother used to get ill just from standing in line at the grocery store when the ciarettes were all near the checkout line. I'm not quite as allergic as she is, though, but my allergy has progressed as I have gotten older. I used to be able to hang out in very smokey bars in Tijuana when I was younger and not get sick. Now, my sinuses start burning before I even smell the cigarettes, sometimes. Pot smoke, no allergies. Wish they could just legalize that and outlaw cigarettes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Toad View Post
    ...Pot smoke, no allergies. Wish they could just legalize that and outlaw cigarettes.

Don't forget to try a few of my favorite. A good everyday tobacco fragrance to me is Burberry London for Men.

A really good fragrance that highlights tobacco is Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Cuba. A bit more pricey, but really well made. Longevity is nuts. Over 12 hours for sure on my dry skin.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Post Thanks / Like

Don't try to light it. It's flammable.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya, Toad. Sounds like dreadful things to experience because of the allergy. Surely it's not worth wearing anything that CERTAINLY brings those things about.

I think it's hard for any and all of us here to say if it's the smell that an edt will make that'll cause the reactions. I'd say hit a fragrance counter for, or order a sample/decant of, a test shot of a very strongly tobacco scent. Surfacing's suggestion of SMN's Acqua di Cuba is a good one to try, but so is Miller Harris's Feuilles de Tabac, a deep straight tobacco wonder in my mind.

Try a shot, walk around with it for a few hours or if you can for a day, and see if it kicks you in the nose the wrong way. Then you'll know for sure.

Man, tobacco scents can be fantastic though. I'd sure feel for anyone who had to steer clear of them in edts.
    Best!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about you're allergies Toad. I love Polo (original)