Code of Conduct

Thread: Flankers!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flankers!

Haven't found a thread talking about flankers in general. If so, please excuse me...

I was wondering which flankers do you enjoy better than the originals and which flankers do you wish never were created...

I am testing now Coco Mademoiselle, and although it's not bad at all, I wish more people realized that the star of the show is really the original Coco, which seems to be considered as a "granny scent"...

On the contrary, I pretty much enjoy, for instance, Black Orchid Voile de Fleur. I think it's a pretty neat addition to the original Black Orchid and a completely different scent. I own both and, although not keen on flankers, I'm pretty much delighted with them.

I also had the chance of sniffing (why didn't I purchase it!!) Cabotine Sensuelle, which was a rather persistent scent full of body and sensuality. Having not tried Cabotine (shame on me, I know), I don't know how they differ or compare, though.

So, your thoughts? Would love to read them!
    Last edited by Baldufita; 24th January 2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: can't type anymore!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Flankers!

Two flankers I like better than the originals are Dior Midnight Poison and Givenchy Organza Indecence.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

For me - Hypnotic Poison and I really enjoyed Shalimar Black Mystery . I read they re arranged the notes but it just smelt like Shalimar to me.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Sometimes flankers are ok, sometimes they read like "We are too lazy to create a new scent and want to capitalize on the commercial success of Eau de ________ by using the name and bottle with a slightly changed scent with a slightly different name & bottle colour". Sometimes they are a win but I like to see more creativity...

*feels cynical today*

Post Thanks / Like

Although I really love both and am probably in the minority, I do think Youth Dew Amber Nude is slightly more appealing to me than the original. I really dig the chocolate notes.

Hate Habit Rouge edt. Love the newer edp. Different frag imo, not just concentration issue.

I prefer Concentree d'Orange Vert to EdOV (ditto on concentration).

I like Polo Modern Reserve better than Polo. And Double Black trumps Black.

Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir beats Bvlgari PH.

I totally agree with Baldufita on Coco vs. Coco Mad. CM is a pretty frag (Angel-lite), but Coco is spectacular! Then again, I like Kelly Caleche better than Caleche.

Love Gucci PH, not a fan of Gucci PH II. Love Gucci edp, hate the pink Gucci II.

Pure White Linen tops White Linen.

Eclat d'Arpege is not fit to share the name with the original.

Neither Insolence nor My Insolence do anything for me.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Antaeusintheair View Post
    Although I really love both and am probably in the minority, I do think Youth Dew Amber Nude is slightly more appealing to me than the original. I really dig the chocolate notes.

Then again, I like Kelly Caleche better than Caleche.

Pure White Linen tops White Linen.

Why is that I agree with EVERYTHING you just said there????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Baldufita View Post

On the contrary, I pretty much enjoy, for instance, Black Orchid Voile de Fleur. I think it's a pretty neat addition to the original Black Orchid and a completely different scent. I own both and, although not keen on flankers, I'm pretty much delighted with them.
    I totally agree with you on Black Orchid & Voile de Fleur. I really enjoy both of them in their own rights.

Also, I love my Coco Mademoiselle and my Coco, they're stunning in different ways.

Insolence and My Insolence makes me feel sick to my stomach...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Two flankers I like better than the originals are Dior Midnight Poison and Givenchy Organza Indecence.
    Totally agree.
    On the other hand Organza First Light is inferior to the original. so is no. 5 eau Première, imo.

I liked White Linen Breeze (nothing to do with the Pure White..), but I think it´s been discontinued.
    Oh - I also like Tendre Poison best of all the Poisons.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Post Thanks / Like

Like any other fragrance, flankers can be hit or miss. I really try to judge them on their own merits, but comparison seems unavoidable in a few cases.

Chanel's Coco is a favorite, yet I can't stand Coco Mademoiselle. In regards to Youth Dew, I thought I was in the minority because I much prefer the original to YD Amber Nude. And although Guerlain's L'Instant Magic has a lot of fans, to me it's nothing special. But I think the original L'Instant de Guerlain is divine! I also prefer the originals to the flankers in the cases of First by Van Cleef and Arpels, Angel, and YSL's Paris and Opium.

On the other hand, Hermes Rouge is one of my favorites for fall and winter, and its flanker, Rouge Eau Delicate is a perfect interpretation for the warmer months. It maintains the original character of Rouge, but adds a few complimentary notes that just work, so it's not just a lighter version but a wonderful and worthwhile addition to the family.

Then there are a few cases where I prefer the flanker. Estee Lauder's Pleasures is okay and I like and wear it, but I adore the juicy strawberry note of Pleasures Delight. And I also like Pure White Linen (and even Pure White Linen Pink Coral) better than White Linen.

I had to LOL at some of the answers b/c I totally agree. I hate Insolence and My Insolence equally. So I'm no help with that one. I can't tolerate Coco Mlle, either. To me it smells like fingernail polish remover spilled in a hot car on a sunny day. Ugh.

However, I honestly like No 5 Eau Premiere as much as or even better than the original No 5. EP is a flanker worthy of the original.

I also like Mistouko Fleur de Lotus. I'd like to own a full bottle one day, I think it's so good. It, too, is a flanker worthy of the original.

Post Thanks / Like

Opium Fleur de Shanghai over Opium.

Kenzo Flower Oriental over Kenzo Flower.

Kenzo Amour Indian Holi over Amour.

No 5 Eau Premiere over No 5

Any Poison flanker has to be more tolerable than the original...

Pure White Linen over White Linen (absolutely!)

Oh, I bet there's loads!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 24th January 2010 at 09:26 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I love Tom Ford Black Orchid Volie de Fleur, hate Black Orchid.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy: Black Orchid and it's flanker, Voile de Fleur; YSL Cinema and Cinema Festival d'ete, Samsara and Samsara Shine and Un Air de Samsara.

I also love the original Theorema and both her sisters- Leggero and Esprit D'ete.

I prefer Gres' Cabotine Rose to Cabotine, and Coco to Coco Mlle.