Code of Conduct

Thread: Mark Buxton

Default Mark Buxton

I don't remember hearing great things about Mark Buxton's line, but I'm starting to truly appreciate his work. I loved his fragrance for Biehl, I think it was mb03? And now really really like Black Angel from his own line. I'm curious if anyone else has gotten a chance to try out any of the Mark Buxton fragrance line. Any of them worth testing. And I made this thread just to appreciate all of his fragrances in general. What are your favorites?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: Mark Buxton Appreciation

Oh man, I want to sample Black Angel SO bad. It's at the top of my sampling list. What's it like? Is it anything like a woodier, spicier Reflection Man? By the notes I was thinking it might be.

What a list of notes. Lily of the valley, rosemary, orris, guaic, coriander, jasmine... ah!
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 24th January 2010 at 02:02 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Mark Buxton Appreciation

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Oh man, I want to sample Black Angel SO bad. It's at the top of my sampling list. What's it like? Is it anything like a woodier, spicier Reflection Man? By the notes I was thinking it might be.

What a list of notes. Lily of the valley, rosemary, orris, guaic, coriander, jasmine... ah!
    SOS, please do sample it, really I absolutely love it. But those notes are 100% misleading. It smells NOTHING like Reflection Man. The rosemary, which if I'm not mistaken can have a sort of minty affect, is so far in the background, but with a nose to wrist test you can get something slightly bracing, so I'm assuming it's the rosemary. Now, I've never smelled guaic, but I'd imagine, it's a big player here, because I get primarily ginger and patchouli with woods. Now, I'm the leader of the ginger hate club, I loathe it in Envy for Men and L'Homme, but like it here and LOVE it in Five O'Clock Au Gingembre. Take that for what you will, this leans more towards the Oriental realm than Reflection Man.

Edit: I also love the whole matching colors with the fragrance thing. I think it's a brilliant concept, and for the record, the color chose for Black Angel, Indigo and Black, works perfectly. It's dark and mysterious.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 24th January 2010 at 02:15 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: Mark Buxton

I really, really love that line, and I think I even open a thread talking about it like 18 months back or so.
    Was the first niche house I discovered without being brought to it by BN.

Around midnight is awesome, smells like a way more enhanced mb03 to me. The notes are similar, the smell better.
    Black Angel is very nice as well, so are hot leather and english breakfast.
    I might actually dig up my old samples and give some of them another go tonight.

Hot Leather = Cuir Amethyste

well..im sure you knew MB was the man behind many of Comme des Garcons creations. also, his contribution to designer releases have gone un-noticed too; i presume.. for eg. Paco Rabbanes XS Extreme Girl - i keep bringing up this scent as an eg.. this ones as niche as it gets.

Basenotes Institution

I haven't smelled any of his own line of fragrances. I must admit, the Turin review of Black Angel ('Cheap-smelling Egoiste') scared me off a bit. I keep putting off testing them, until I have the time and the concentration to give them my attention.

I love Buxton's work for Comme des Garcons and other lines - my absolute favorite of his, is the original Comme des Garcons Eau de Parfum. Plus that limited edition scent that he did for Colette, Curated By Colette, was brilliant. Nonetheless, some of his more recent work has been hit-and-miss for me. The one he did for Six Scents was quite boring...and that Kapsule Light by Karl Lagerfeld was the same.

I want to like his new stuff. More than likely, I just need to lower my expectations (like I did with the Maison Kurkdjian range).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th January 2010 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I haven't smelled any of his own line of fragrances. I must admit, the Turin review of Black Angel ('Cheap-smelling Egoiste') scared me off a bit. I keep putting off testing them, until I have the time and the concentration to give them my attention.

I love Buxton's work for Comme des Garcons and other lines - my absolute favorite of his, is the original Comme des Garcons Eau de Parfum. Plus that limited edition scent that he did for Colette, Curated By Colette, was brilliant. Nonetheless, some of his more recent work has been hit-and-miss for me. The one he did for Six Scents was quite boring...and that Kapsule Light by Karl Lagerfeld was the same.

I want to like his new stuff. More than likely, I just need to lower my expectations (like I did with the Maison Kurkdjian range).
    Mike, regarding the Egoiste comparison, that's one of the most bizarre comparisons I've ever heard. Where's the rose? Where's the sandalwood? This is all about smooth, sweet woods and ginger.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Mike, regarding the Egoiste comparison, that's one of the most bizarre comparisons I've ever heard. Where's the rose? Where's the sandalwood? This is all about smooth, sweet woods and ginger.
    Cool - I feel much more confident testing it now based upon your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I think he probably meant Egoiste Platinum. So far, I have found the line solid, but nothing very original, and definitely not worth the price tag.
    Last edited by Asha; 25th January 2010 at 04:50 AM.

I have no I dea how exactly I stumbled back into this thread (mtgprox mentioned it ) but this needs to be bumped.
    Great house.
    Discuss!
    Smellin good

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Hot Leather = Cuir Amethyste
    Totally agree. Cuir Amethyste is the first fragrance that came to mind when I sniffed Hot Leather.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Gandini 1896 Teak Wood, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Terre d'Hermes parfum, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Helmut Lang EDP, Bond No.9 I Love NY Equality, Acqua di Parma Intensa Oud and Slumberhouse Jeke

I wore Hot Leather the other day. It was OK. Not as much leather (or suede) as I was hoping for, especially with a name like that.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

I've tried most of them and own the bottle of Nameless. Underrated considering how much crap like Le Male and Mugler (pick one) get talked about.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝