Code of Conduct

Default Osmanthus - a revelation

Over the weekend, I stayed with a friend who served osmanthus-flavoured green tea. No, actually it was green tea with dried osmanthus blossoms mixed in, the equivalent of jasmine tea. It was scrumptious. I suddenly totally got the apricot comparison: it tasted subtly of dried apricots or tutti frutti. Combined with a grounding smoky, bitter green tea, that was bliss in a cup. That tea's aroma could have been easily bottled and sold as a perfume!

Remind me to not dismiss florals out of hand, in the future.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Default Re: Osmanthus - a revelation

Is not it wonderful how things happen? Just a cup of tea might turn an unacceptable for you note into just your .... cup of tea!

What's your plan of action in terms of trying osmanthus fragrances now? (First and foremost, I would recommend an older Balenciaga Michelle, for starters).

Oh yes it is beautiful! Thank you for the rec of Balenciaga Michelle...that is one I have not tried.

I love the much-maligned Nuit de Cellophane, and, Osmanthus Interdite- although the latter was more tea than floral to my nose. I have heard a lot about Evening Edged in Gold but have never tried it....seem to recall osmanthus being mentioned with regards to J'Adore but I cannot find anywhere that lists it as having it as a note.

Can we talk about other osmanthus perfumes?
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 25th January 2010 at 12:54 PM.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Tea and Osmanthus = PdE Osmanthus Interdite. For less tea and more Osmanthus, TDC Osmanthus is great but short lived. Another tea + Osmanthus fragrance is Hermes Osmanthe Yunnan--that one is much smoother than the PdE, but is extremely fleeting.

Asha has covered my top three osmanthus recs!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

So far I haven't run into a single osmanthus scent I would have liked but that tea sounds very lovely indeed.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I grew up with Sweet Olive trees (that's what we call Osmanthus in Louisiana, along with Tea Olives) in our yard, and they're all over the French Quarter in New Orleans. They bloom intermittently throughout the year (winter and summer) and the fragrance in the air is, of course, luscious and intoxicating. And strangely (because it seems so strong) their perfume is all about the sillage. You can have a hard time detecting the fragrance when actually sniffing the small blossoms, but stand back a ways and wait a moment - there it is!

Now I know this is probably going to sound crazy, but I actually bought Gucci Rush the first time I smelled it because it smelled like home. It had just been released and I had never heard of it so I didn't have any preconceived ideas about it, but it so precisely duplicates the scent of Sweet Olives in bloom that I figured it was deliberate. (Btw - the SA told me I was wrong - it's a gardenia scent, see.)

Well, reading some reviews of it make me think I'm not entirely crazy. There are several mentions of a phantom peach note, at least (there are quite a few varieties of Osmanthus fragrans and their fragrances might vary a bit, but they all seem to have a very similar apricot or peachiness about them, or so I've read.) But granted, I've never seen or heard another comparison to the Sweet Olive. However, without any prompting, my fiance completely validated my notion the first time I wore it around him. He said, "What smells like the French Quarter?" Yes!! I was thrilled! But just to make sure we were thinking of the same thing I said, "I don't know - the coffee has chicory?" to which he responded, "No - it smell like Sweet Olive trees." Ha! I'm not alone!!

Now, I've never smelled any of the Osmanthus scents you all have mentioned (but I'm taking notes and will definitely investigate further) so I have no idea how the Osmanthus I perceive in Rush would compare to them. But I would assume they'd all be a bit more subtle. Rush is opulent, loud and potent - much more so than the tree. I would call it monster Osmanthus. I don't wear it very often - it's mainly about summoning warm memories for me. But when I do, I apply with extreme caution, something I'm not used to doing but learned the hard way. When applied very judiciously, I really can't imagine a better substitute for the Sweet Olive fragrance I know and love.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 12th March 2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: correction...better late than never.

Blog Entries

Osmanthus is the central feature to Patou 1000 (mille). It makes for an outstanding floral experience. The EDP is lovely and if you ever have the chance, the extrait in the jade green bottle is a creamy delight!

Osmanthe Yunnan deserves all the high praise it receives. Do seek it out.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Osmanthus is the central feature to Patou 1000 (mille). It makes for an outstanding floral experience. The EDP is lovely and if you ever have the chance, the extrait in the jade green bottle is a creamy delight!
    Yes! Patou 1000 is the one I was trying to recall. Hm. I really need to get a bottle of this, it's been years since I owned it. Any recs for formula ie edt, edp or parfum?
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Blog Entries

The EDP is preferred but it is HTF, worth it though.

Go smell The Different Company Osmanthus. That is a soliflore with the spotlight on real osmanthus absolute. Absolutely stunning and realistic.

Basenotes Institution

I love the smell of a blooming osmanthus bush - just lovely.

I have yet to find a scent that replicates it exactly. However I remember smelling a very unique and natural smelling osmanthus note in the middle notes of a gourmand fragrance - and it totally worked: Private Collection: Un Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale

Evangeline, I know exactly what you mean about sweet olives/osmanthus in S. La. This is where I live today, and the sweet olive is one of my very favorite smells. We have a sweet olive in front, and it blooms almost year round. I had no idea that Gucci Rush features osmanthus so prominently. Thanks for the rec.

And as far as osmanthus tea goes----it sounds delightful. What a wonderful thread this is.

Another one to try is Parfum de Nicolai's Fig Tea.

This one is not a niche, but I really enjoy the Victoria's Secret Orange Blossom. It is a nice floral/grapefruit top note and underneath osmanthus. My husband really likes it on me. (Poor soul, he also has to put up with me wearing Boudoir, Cuir Ottoman, or anything else I douse myself with... LOL!)

Oh, and don't get me started on jasmine tea (swoon) at all! I use a variety that makes it seem like I am drinking perfume! (They are called tea pearls, and I discussed this in the home scent forum.)

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/comm...ZZZ&rfnbr=6691
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    What's your plan of action in terms of trying osmanthus fragrances now? (First and foremost, I would recommend an older Balenciaga Michelle, for starters).
    Oh, there isn't much of a plan. I'll see which fall in my lap, I guess - I was just surprised and happy to have "got" the note!

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    So far I haven't run into a single osmanthus scent I would have liked but that tea sounds very lovely indeed.
    So far, I haven't found one either. Who knows though, this might just set off a new appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I love the smell of a blooming osmanthus bush - just lovely.
    Never smelled the real thing, but I sure would love to now!

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Oh, and don't get me started on jasmine tea (swoon) at all! I use a variety that makes it seem like I am drinking perfume! (They are called tea pearls, and I discussed this in the home scent forum.)
    Ooh, I had those jasmine pearls once. Very yummy.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Osmanthus is beautiful ...

I am a big 1000 fan. The EdT is very wearable for everyday, work situations. I am also lucky enough to have the parfum. It's creamy and beautiful. Its violet note also stands out as particularly lovely.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

There are lots of osmanthus bushes in Tokyo. I agree that Rush has a strong undertone of osmanthus. I think I noticed it in Diptyque Eau de Tarocco as well.

Oh, I forgot CK One. Osmanthus is just about the whole thing, as far as I can tell.

Acqua di Stresa, inspired by the holiday spot on the Lago Maggiore, has a lot of osmanthus, because it grows in the area. It's a lovely cologna I'd definitely recommend.

Basenotes Plus

I adore osmanthus fragrances. My absolute favorite is Ormonde Jayne's Osmanthus. I get lots of compliments every single time I wear it.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

That tea sounds wonderful! My favorite osmanthus fragrances, so far, are the TDC Osmanthus and Hermes Osmanthe Yunnan. I have not smelled the plant.

I think TDC's is fairly close to the flower but it's a little clean and soapy to some. Ineke's Evening Edged in Gold does have a very soft natural smelling Osmanthus note. SL's Daim Blond smells like osmanthus with suede. Liking this note doesn't necessarily mean you'll suddenly love florals though - it smells far more apricot-fruity than floral.

has no one mentioned Keiko Mecheri Osmanthus? It's beautiful and actually lasts.

I love TDC's Osmanthus, although I didn't initially. At first it smelled of coconut so I dismissed it. Then one day it just happened. Don't ya just love when that happens...

Blog Entries

Only yesterday I read that VS Lace (Orange Flower) (a.k.a. Parfums Intîmes Lace) has an osmanthus note.

Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    has no one mentioned Keiko Mecheri Osmanthus? It's beautiful and actually lasts.
    I agree that this is beautiful, but it doesn't smell like real osmanthus to me. The florals seem a bit too white and bright - I think it lacks the mellow honeyed quality of actual Sweet Olives in bloom....the ones I grew up with, at any rate. It's a gorgeous floral, though.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 18th February 2010 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    I adore osmanthus fragrances. My absolute favorite is Ormonde Jayne's Osmanthus. I get lots of compliments every single time I wear it.
    Me too. I haven't sampled many Osmanthus scents, but this one is a definite compliment getter and I really seem to like it

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    (First and foremost, I would recommend an older Balenciaga Michelle, for starters).
    OH! OH! I bought a used bottle of Michelle on Ebay, and although used is no guarantee of it being old, the bottle was rather banged up (well loved?), so perhaps I have unknowingly hit the osmanthus lottery.....And I have not tested it yet.....

(races off to dig it out of cupboard for full testing)

Edited to add; YEAHHHH this stuff is nice
    Last edited by knit at nite; 3rd March 2010 at 06:24 AM.

osmanthus tea is lovely indeed. green tea with a golden flavor. i didn't have some for two years, my supplier did not have any last year. she is a russian tea-master and buys everything herself (mostly) in china. thanks for reminding me, i will visit her soon to aks her about it!

I love osmanthus perfumes and many have already been mentioned. I want to add "Kinmokasei" by Ayala Moriel, a natural perfume that truly smells like osmanthus with its dried apricot-tea scent. Absolutely evokes the tree in full bloom!

Thank you Evangeline for the remembrance of the scent of tea olive - we have plenty of it here in South Carolina too and it is wonderful! Very evocative post!
    (Wearing Nuit de Cellophane, btw!)

reine

Hi , Veuve!

I haven't tried a lot of osmanthus frags but I know these two well:

I find TDCs Osmanthus too sweet and soapy. I don't get any apricot. The fragrance kind of burns out my nose, though, after a few minutes, so who knows what notes I'm missing.

Osmanthe Yunnan is heavenly. Apricot? yes Like dried apricot for savory dishes. Tea? yes.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 8th March 2010 at 11:54 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

nostalgie, osmanthe yunnan must be the name of a particular tea. real or fantasy, i wouldn't know. i know yunnan as a black (they call it red) tea from the yunnan province in china.
    it's good that this thread keep popping up. must not forget. get osmanthus tea.

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    nostalgie, osmanthe yunnan must be the name of a particular tea. real or fantasy, i wouldn't know. i know yunnan as a black (they call it red) tea from the yunnan province in china.
    Yes, Ellena says it was inspired by a trip to the Forbidden City. Osmanthus flower and tea are listed as separate ingredients in the press for the fragrance--so osmanthus plus tea rather than osmanthus tea.
    Must try the tea!
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 9th March 2010 at 05:15 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Nice to see a thread on Osmanthus. I sought out TDC Osmanthus & Osmanthe Yunnan after reading The Guide and love them both - I have bought bottles for two friends who really enjoy them. Then, living in HK as I do, I started paying attention at restaurants. One of my favourite spots serves Oolong Osmanthus Tea, which is beautiful - light green tea and the osmanthus gives it a slightly creamy after-taste. I have also found osmanthus in three desserts so far - and it works beautifully - my son thought it was hilarious watching me pick little petals out of one dish with my chopsticks last summer and then nodding and saying 'yeh, Ellena really nailed it . . .'

Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    Yes, I am sampling this today. While very pretty, it smells like Datura Noir to me. I am very new to this, so I have a lot to learn.

My Osmanthus is in full bloom right now, it is downright HEAVENLY! I am eager to try some of the recs here...

Last edited by *bloomy*; 23rd March 2010 at 03:31 PM.

Oops, sorry for the HUGE pic.

Also, I know that there are several different plant varieties of Osmanthus, I wonder if they smell slightly different from each other? Mine is a very large shrub (taller than me) and only blooms once a year.

Wow - that must smell gorgeous, bloomy! The osmanthus I grew up with in Louisiana aren't nearly as blossom-laden, even in full bloom, and the flowers are small - much smaller than the leaves, but they're intensely fragrant and bloom on and off throughout the year but predominantly in Winter (I'm sure climate dictates some differences.) As I said further up the thread, we Southerners call them Sweet Olive (or Tea Olive) trees, although they're shrubs which can be pruned into a tree, like lilacs.

Here's a good pic of the variety I know -

Last edited by Evangeline; 23rd March 2010 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    Amsterdam, hm? Simon Levelt?

The pictures are very pretty, btw. Wish I could smell an actual blossom.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 23rd March 2010 at 06:01 PM.

Douglas Adams

Hey, thanks for the Osmanthus pics!! Finally know what it looks like!
    +1 on the OJ Osmanthus...it's one of the most happy(yeah,really!it munches aways all your bad moods!)frags I know..my sample's almost empty. It starts off pretty acid and citrusy, and gets all golden-floral..great for spring-summer.Plus, pretty good longevity (at least on me, on a friend of mine, it lasts like 5 minutes (says she.....but she's a osmanthus-anosmic I believe!).
    Osmanthe Yunnan is really good too, lots of tea notes..but that one is totally fleeting, as somebody already said.

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Amsterdam, hm? Simon Levelt?
    i am more often than not disappointed with their products. the best place -by great distance- in amsterdam is a tiny tea house on the zeedijk. it's on the right side of the street if you are coming from central station. everything they sell is truly excellent. it can get quite a bit more expensive than simon levelt, but their quality is on a very different level too. the lady who owns the store buys everything herself directly in china. she is a tea master and teacher, most of her staff are volunteers who study with her. they are always very friendly. you can purchase packs of tea, some very nice but expensive tea-ware, or get a complete traditional tea ceremony.