Code of Conduct

Question Aquatics, what are the best

Given that Spring is just around the bend (in the U.S. at least) what are some good aquatic or Spring style fragrences, what are your favorites? What are some uncommon fragrences that are aquatic, etc. SCENT LIFE IS IMPORTANT

Dependent

Default Re: Aquatics, what are the best

Hi joshorama! Welcome to Basenotes.

There are a LOT of aquatics out there, but here are some that are outstanding to me:

Bvlgari Aqua (Great Scent life/longevity)
    Creed Erolfa (Average Scent life/longevity)
    Creed Millesime Imperial (Average Scent life/longevity)

Used to be a huge fan of:

L'eau D'Issey Pour homme (Great Scent life/longevity)
    Clinique Happy for Men (Poor Scent life/longevity)

Hope this helps and you get to sample them.
    Last edited by MFJ; 25th January 2010 at 07:53 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome aboard joshorama !!.
    I'll second Matt's recommendations and will also add Hugh Parsons Blue to any list of "must try" aquatics. Great subtle aroma and decent longevity. Relatively uncommon too.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 25th January 2010 at 09:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes.

I'll second Matt's recommendations of Bvlgari Aqva and L'Eau D'Issey. I'll add Versace Pour Homme, L'eau par Kenzo. Also, not aquatics, but some great fresh scents are Mugler Cologne and Gendarme.

Hi and welcome. Just to give you some guidance on aquatics in general, there are two basic types:

"Marine" Aquatics...have a very oceanic smell, and tend to come across as somewhat bitter to me:
    -Bulgari Aqua
    -L'Eau d'Issey PH
    -Creed Erolfa
    -Kenzo Pour Homme

"Freshwater" aquatics...are more reminiscent of a stream or a pond with grasses and flowers nearby:
    -L'Eau par Kenzo (bad longevity)
    -Aqua de Loewe
    -212 Men

And then there are some hybrids (IMO), like Acqua di Gio, Creed Millesime Imperial, YSL Live Jazz

I prefer the latter categories (not the hard-edged marines), but you should sample for yourself!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    YSL Live Jazz
    Now how did I see that coming?

OP, please try doing a search. This topic gets covered literally every few DAYS. Try not to be so lazy huh?
    PS - Welcome
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Now how did I see that coming?
    I always have to be careful about recommending Live Jazz!

I actually don't even own it anymore, but I do think it's good stuff - need to reacquire it. I adopted it as my name because:

1) I like jazz music and used to play jazz trumpet
    2) There was a bottle of Live Jazz in front of me when I decided to quit lurking and join
    3) I wasn't feeling creative
    4) I didn't expect to be here 3 years later, using the same name!

Too late to change it now!!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 26th January 2010 at 09:06 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

It is very easy to try out the popular aquatic perfumes, because they are available in almost every store. I tried most of them, but the only one that I tolerate is the original, old version of Captain Molyneux. It is a different kind of aquatic. It smells like a rusty, salty pier. It is not fresh and ozonic like the usual aquatics.

The only problem is that the current version of Captain Molyneux was deeply reformulated, and became a bad copy of polo green. You should buy it only if you find the dark blue, old bottle.

Wow you guys don't mess around thanks a lot for all your posts and suggestions ... What an overwhelming response

Even if my answer come late, you might also like to consider Boss Elements Aqua by Hugo Boss and Aqua di Roma by Laura Biagiotti

My favorite aquatic is by far Chrome by Azzaro. Ken_Russel, how does Acqua di Roma compare to the original?

My current favourite is Davidoff Silver Shadow Altitude. Nothing really unique about this one but it's pretty well made.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

The best I've tried is Creed's MI

Amouage,Ciel- handsdowns the best.

Is Chez Bond considered an aquatic?
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 3rd February 2010 at 05:20 AM.

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Is Chez Bond considered an aquatic?
    If you consider Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed aquatic, then yes.

These three similar scents are more commonly categorized as a fresh aromatic fougere. I do not consider any of them as aquatic.
    Last edited by DocmanCC; 3rd February 2010 at 07:15 AM.

Ahhh, Thanks DocmanCC. I think I was thinking of Wall Street, not Chez Bond. I always mix those two up in my head.
    And yes, I do tend to lump various fresh aromatics into the aquatic category by accident.