Code of Conduct

Question Help!- Giorgio Beverly Hills

I was at the local drugstore and stopped to scoff at their fragrance selection ( Yeah, 'cause I'm a perfume snob after reading from Basenotes, don'tcha know!) I saw something that reminded me of my childhood in the 80's. That familiar yellow and white striped box containing Giorgio. I saw the price... $14.99. I decided to hold off on buying until I read some of the reviews and got a few opinions ( After all, that 15 bucks could be part of a down payment on the tax of the cap off a bottle of Amouage)

Is this the same juice of yesteryear that you couldn't help but seeing EVERYWHERE? Is it still any good? Was it ever good? Worth the 15 bucks? I guess the box would look good in my collection if nothing else...

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Help!- Giorgio Beverly Hills

It has recently been released - and IMO the new juice is just as good as the old juice. I think it is a great buy.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

this is just as good or better than many or most niches !!
    go try some

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    go try some
    Not a surprising statement from a man with a bottle of Kouros in his avatar. I'll have to head back there tomorrow. They are having a buy one, get one half off sale too. Just have to find something else there I like, don't have, and can't get way cheaper online.
    Last edited by Handsome Toad; 26th January 2010 at 03:21 AM.

go try some
    Giorgio For Men is better than most niches - MUCH better!!

Fans of this potion have Elizabeth Arden Co. to thank for resurrecting this baby, as well as many other great powerhouse scents that would have been left to die otherwise (e.g., Z-14, Sung Homme, Bijan Men, etc.). Also, they haven't screwed with the formulas either.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Really... maybe I'll just buy 2 bottles for $22.50 and wear the hell out of it! I am always looking for cheap ( but good ) fragrances so I don't use up the pricier / hard to find / and discontinued stuff I have.

wear it wisely or it will wear you
    i would go with no more than 4 hits & twice a week at the very most !
    enjoy

SALES

I agree with Dimitrios on the 2 times a week - the stuff is so strong I find I get olfactory fatigue if I wear it two days in a row. I need to spread it out a bit.

On the other hand, I tend to go with 7 sprays!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Agreed!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Giorgio for Men is a great choice, I wore it daily for more than twenty years.

The reformulation is superb. It is still my favorite fragrance.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

wear it wisely or it will wear you
    i would go with no more than 4 hits & twice a week at the very most !
    enjoy
    Good Advice. I couldn't agree more.

for this price i would buy the all stock of giorgio!! this is an amazing stuff.

I just got back with a bottle... unfortunately the buy 1 get one half off sale didn't apply to this. Oh well. Still a bargain at twice that price. I have to agree that it is pretty good stuff and that 4 oz. bottle will last a while. I'll pick up another one next time I'm down that way, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Giorgio for Men is a great choice, I wore it daily for more than twenty years.

The reformulation is superb. It is still my favorite fragrance.
    Now that is dedication! Most Basenoters' #1 scent seems to change almost weekly.

Can anyone think of a similar fragrance to this one?
    I'd really like to get it, but I'm againts buying blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius32 View Post
    I am against uninformed blind buys as well. I would make an exception in this case, however, as I never found a suitable replacement.

Here is a thread I started early in my Basenotes journey before Giorgio for Men was resurrected:
    Replacing Giorgio for Men (R.I.P.)

(shamu1, this thread should help explain my obsession!)

In a PM, another member suggested Lauder for Men which actually came closest in 'feel' to Giorgio for Men.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 28th January 2010 at 02:39 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I agree that I can't think of a particular scent that smells a lot like it. The best way I can describe it to my nose is that it has a very prominent moss base note, which I can smell throughout its duration and for me is its definining note. It is obviously an '80's scent, but not outdated. The mossiness is mixed with a very heavy and sweet amber or honey note, with a good deal of patchouli to give the whole scent some spiciness. To me, Giorgio is very heavy, herbal and sweet. The moss dominates for me. The closest scents I can think of would be either Eau de Monsieur (Annick Goutal) or Gianfranco Ferre Man, mainly because of their strong moss notes, but even those are quite different from Giorgio. Giorgio is much stronger and long lasting than either of those. Giorgio For Men has sillage like no other scent, as well as 12+ hours of longevity.

That's what Giorgio smells like to me, though other people may find its other notes to be more prominent than what I've described. It's truly a beautiful scent.
    Last edited by shamu1; 28th January 2010 at 01:59 AM.

Sitting alongside Giorgio on the Aroma chart area , are Moods by Krizia & another little known one called Roccobarocco .
    I have Moods & is not like Giorgio .
    Roccobarocco is extremely hard to find so i cant comment on that one .

SALES

Don't hesitate for a minute. Snatch it up right away, man! Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills is as nice a powerhouse oriental as you will ever own. It is unique....and absolutely wonderful!!!

I use to love this and if I catch a bottle at that price, I'll probably snag one as well. I think this is a classic and should be sold in department stores once again with the full range.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Sur la Plage

I just saw the 4 oz bottles in Marshalls for $19.99.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I bought this again (retail therapy after a crap day) yesterday. $12.99 for a 4 OZ bottle at Ross. It is so nice! Powerful stuff! How refreshing. I can actually smell my cologne and it appears to be holding up very well.

Just a classy...OPULENT is the word that keeps coming to mind. Jaipur Homme EDP is another one in this vein, though they smell nothing alike.

AromiErotici

You cannot beat this patchouli bomb for the money. It's always been a good scent....and it still is. Great pickup for the fall-winter rotation.

I recently smelled it and the patchouli in it bothered me. I smelled strong too!
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I recently smelled it and the patchouli in it bothered me. I smelled strong too!
    The use one good spray to the chest. It dies down after 10 minutes and becomes a very nice masculine.

Smells very nice from a distance, but up close is a no-go for me; very chemical smelling, up close. As I'm the type who always sprays a fragrance on my arms, and am a constant arm sniffer, this guy just doesn't work out. I'll take Escada pH over this any day, lighter, yet still that powerhouse smell, and very similar smell to Giorgio, but without the harsh chemicals!

Nice perfume in the 80ies spirit ..
    It looks like Givenchy Gentleman

Giorgio is amazing so is Giorgio VIP. I was wearing it so much that I got tired of it and had to park it, super cheap price you guys can buy it for !!!!
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Indeed wonderful frag
    I own the VIP version
    I will probably go for the normal edt soon as well
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

fountain

it's excellent just like the old days

The voice of reason needs to talk here - Giorgio for men is very dated and has the cologne / aftershave smell. I feel that men's fragrances have come a long way since this citrus/patchouli/oakmoss. I personally have no need to go back in time and wear this.

I always felt that Giorgio for men was a rushed hastily marked men's counterpart and lacked the though involved that went into the women's version. Even today the original women's version is still wearable for ladies.

The only redemption for men is Red and Wings.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    The voice of reason needs to talk here - Giorgio for men is very dated and has the cologne / aftershave smell. I feel that men's fragrances have come a long way since this citrus/patchouli/oakmoss. I personally have no need to go back in time and wear this.

I always felt that Giorgio for men was a rushed hastily marked men's counterpart and lacked the though involved that went into the women's version. Even today the original women's version is still wearable for ladies.

The only redemption for men is Red and Wings.
    Dated isn't always a bad thing...except if a person can't pull off a particular scent. Apparently, this is the wrong choice for you....and your endorsements are the wrong ones for me. After all.......how boring would it be if EVERYONE loved ( and wore) the same juice consistently?

I don't get it. I used to love this scent but since the reformulation came out all I get is a powdery smell.

Is anyone else smelling the same thing?

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I don't get it. I used to love this scent but since the reformulation came out all I get is a powdery smell.

No. It's still a patchouli bomb to me.

I could have gotten a fake but for the price it's going for it doesn't make sense.

I put it on and I was like "yes" that's it but then it went really soapy on me and smelled like every other green soapy cologne I've tried recently. Could it be that the chemical reformulation has this affect on fragrances ?

Can a fragrance made with real herbs and quality ingredients still come out soapy ?

AromiErotici

It comes off on me as a woody patchouli scent. Tonka in the base accord could be a tad powdery to some, but I don't get lavender in this......and that is all I could think that would cause a predominant soap note.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Tonka in the base accord could be a tad powdery to some, but I don't get lavender in this......and that is all I could think that would cause a predominant soap note.
    Please educate me:

Is that imminent of any fragrance with lavender and tonka notes in it? Do you know of other notes that have the same soapy affect? Those would be good ones for me to avoid

I used por un homme by caron for years which also has a high lavender content. The dry down on me was almost pure musk. Why do you think that happened? My skin type seems to really soak up musk for some reason.

Thanks you for your tips....interesting discussion I've wondered about for quiet some time.

AromiErotici

For me, lavender can become soapy, very soapy or almost caustic smelling depending upon how much. Some renditions I like and some not so much.

I cannot remember ever getting a lavender note in Giorgio and when I hear about a "soapiness", I normally attribute that to lavender.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    For me, lavender can become soapy, very soapy or almost caustic smelling depending upon how much. Some renditions I like and some not so much.

I cannot remember ever getting a lavender note in Giorgio and when I hear about a "soapiness", I normally attribute that to lavender.
    On another GBH thread a member complained about a synthetic oakmoss dry down which he didn't smell with the original. Compared to true oakmoss would that leave a soapy smell or do synthetics in general leave a non pleasant residue?

Do imitation fragrances leave a specific odor behind ?

I always said I would go back to this fragrance if it was ever re issued and guess what...it's killing me that I am not as accepting of it as I was in the past. This used to be IT for me.
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 31st July 2011 at 09:27 PM.

Not me...classic 80s sandalwood/patchouli combo ala Santos de Cartier Concentre and Versace L'Homme.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Not me...classic 80s sandalwood/patchouli combo ala Santos de Cartier Concentre and Versace L'Homme.
    Agreed. All three smell different, but the structure is classic 80's.

On another GBH thread a member complained about a synthetic oakmoss dry down which he didn't smell with the original. Compared to true oakmoss would that leave a soapy smell or do synthetics in general leave a non pleasant residue?

Do imitation fragrances leave a specific odor behind ?

I always said I would go back to this fragrance if it was ever re issued and guess what...it's killing me that I am not as accepting of it as I was in the past. This used to be IT for me.
    I never recall getting the soap note from legit oakmoss and I have more than a few classic masculines that have that note in spades. Maybe others do? I can't answer that one. Moss simply smells like moss to me.

I don't have the original Giorgio to compare, so for all I know, you may have something there. I do however have the reformulation and I like it.

Interesting because frangratica.com or whatever it is lists "aldehydes" as the first ingredient in GBH. Once I did a google search I found that several aldehydes leave a soapy smell. Some people actually like the smell.

After reading that it has to be the reason I don't like it. The soapy smell reminds me of way too many other scents...therefore nothing unique to me about owning Giorgio BH.

I am however considering Givenchy Por Monsieur since members have listed it's similarities to GBH. I've tried it before and really liked it but I think I had longevity issues with it.

The dry down is VERY similar to Boucheron Pour Homme.

AromiErotici

Krizia Moods Uomo is a close kin to Giorgio. I would replace Moods in my wardrobe were it for not already having Giorgio.

Quote Originally Posted by farno View Post
    The dry down is VERY similar to Boucheron Pour Homme.
    I actually tried the boucheron eau de parfum for men $125 this week at bloomingdales. It was interesting and worth taking a second look at. I wasn't floored by the dry down but it was respectable enough.

There definitely is some floral notes to it and it is a tad spicey.

I am however considering Givenchy Pour Monsieur since members have listed it's similarities to GBH. I've tried it before and really liked it but I think I had longevity issues with it.
    Much better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Much better IMO.
    ....but reformulated into a more tame/mild version of the original according to some basenoters.

Dependent

Reviving this thread as I finally picked up a bottle of this one at Ross and sprayed it on my arm about an hour ago. I'm very relieved that the amber is not overly sweet, first off. Secondly, I'm rather surprised that this one gets so much love on BN, as the opening is truly brutal -- a very bitter, challenging medicinal-patchouli blast that lasts 10-15 minutes on the skin. Whew! I don't mind it but it is certainly not mainstream anymore! I did a search and read through some threads about it after reading reviews mentioning the "orange-cinnamon" opening ... uh, more like industrial chemical patchouli! I assumed it must be a reformulation f-up, but the consensus seems to be that it might have lost a slight edge of potency but remains relatively true to its 80s formula. I'm finding it quite intriguing with its honey-patchouli accord ... now I see where Ungaro I and Bois 1920 Extreme got their inspiration.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 11th February 2012 at 06:05 AM.

Sound Scents

I love the scent from opening to close and have been wearing it for over 20 years. The re-release is just as good as the original, IMO. Giorgio for Men is potent to be sure, but never bitter, on my skin at least. From a "bang for your buck" perspective it is my favorite in my collection.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

That's a pretty accurate description of how I remember it in the 80s. It also reminds me of why I never want to smell it again. I do enjoy Bois 1920 Extreme, but I don't get that haze of patchouli scented insecticide from it. I don't know if that impression of Giorgio comes from bitter synthetics or bitter memories. I do actually remember the For Women version smelling pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Reviving this thread as I finally picked up a bottle of this one at Ross and sprayed it on my arm about an hour ago. I'm very relieved that the amber is not overly sweet, first off. Secondly, I'm rather surprised that this one gets so much love on BN, as the opening is truly brutal -- a very bitter, challenging medicinal-patchouli blast that lasts 10-15 minutes on the skin. Whew! I don't mind it but it is certainly not mainstream anymore! I did a search and read through some threads about it after reading reviews mentioning the "orange-cinnamon" opening ... uh, more like industrial chemical patchouli! I assumed it must be a reformulation f-up, but the consensus seems to be that it might have lost a slight edge of potency but remains relatively true to its 80s formula. I'm finding it quite intriguing with its honey-patchouli accord ... now I see where Ungaro I and Bois 1920 Extreme got their inspiration.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    That's a pretty accurate description of how I remember it in the 80s. It also reminds me of why I never want to smell it again. I do enjoy Bois 1920 Extreme, but I don't get that haze of patchouli scented insecticide from it. I don't know if that impression of Giorgio comes from bitter synthetics or bitter memories. I do actually remember the For Women version smelling pretty good.
    Nope, it's not your memories clouding the picture. This guy is very bitter. He also features some very synthetic metallic amber. I can tell I'll have to take some time with this one to figure out whether he's a good match. Quite challenging and old school. But at least he has the good manners not to force any crude birch tar "leather" into the picture.

Birch tar is your kryptonite, MonkeyBars. Synthetic oud is mine. (I'm having a little trouble with the Harrods Oud because of the latter.)

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    Birch tar is your kryptonite, MonkeyBars.
    So nice to feel understood :sniff:

Synthetic oud is mine. (I'm having a little trouble with the Harrods Oud because of the latter.)
    My friend, for once I actually believe the perfume company when they claim their product has a real natural essence in it . . . this one matches up to my experience of the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    My friend, for once I actually believe the perfume company when they claim their product has a real natural essence in it . . . this one matches up to my experience of the real deal.
    It's the Givaudan-manufactured oud aromachemical. I would bet my bottle on it. I'm hypersensitive to it.

(Try smelling a By Killian oud scent and then the Bond No. 9. You will notice the oud note is identical.)

...I bought it, used it once and sold it again: it was not bad, but there are so many better...!

I am however considering Givenchy Por Monsieur since members have listed it's similarities to GBH. I've tried it before and really liked it but I think I had longevity issues with it.
    The Givenchy that most people think GBH is similar to is Gentleman.

Gentleman is a patchouli bomb, and so is GBH. GBH opens with a Bernard Chant style dose of Aldehydes (think the opening of JHL but toned down) which you dont like and I'm sure is what gives it the "aftershave/cologne smell" mentioned earlier, and Gentleman does not have this, it goes straight into the Patch, cinnamon and florals. GBH is sweeter than Gentleman, Fragrantica mentions it has a honey note but you would be hard pushed to spot it. The Honey is really obvious in GBH. The other big difference is that Gentleman pairs the Patchouli with a Leather note in the base, whereas GBH pairs it with Oakmoss.

Shamu s description is pretty much the way I perceive GBH as well.