Code of Conduct

Default Any essential oils that I can use to make a white musk?

Hi! I love white musk, but I'm trying to stick to natural ingredients as opposed to aromachemicals...BUT what can I use to make a white musk? I'm at a loss...maybe there is nothing? thanks so much!

Patti

Default Re: Any essential oils that I can use to make a white musk?

Quote Originally Posted by PattiMcW View Post
    Hi! I love white musk, but I'm trying to stick to natural ingredients as opposed to aromachemicals...BUT what can I use to make a white musk? I'm at a loss...maybe there is nothing? thanks so much!

Patti
    I'm afraid there is nothing, as musks are synthetics. Unless you can illegally find some endangered species musk deer balls? :S

White musk is always (mainly) synthetic. There are natural substances that can contribute to a good musk fragrance, but besides musk from the musk glands of the musk deer the main musk fragrance has to come from synthetics.
    White musk means that it is a mixture of musk and white flowers. White flower fragrances are also usualy made mostly from synthetics, though it is possible to use only naturals here. Of course that limits your choise, but it is possible.

Ambrette seed (Abelmoschus moschatus (Malvaceae)) would provide the musk component. Very dear, though - roughly $60 a ml for top quality from the Himalaya region.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

You can emulate white musks with some of the following notes

helichrysum (also known as immortelle. The essential oil of this smells a bit like dry hay/lemon/white musk, especially as it dries down. The absolute of immortelle smells much different - more like maple syrup!)

opoponax

ambrette

If you want to add some dirtier musk elements, add a tiny bit of one or more of the following:

valerian root essential oil (funky with a coniferous topnote) or valerian root C02 extraction (funkier, with a funk smell throughout)
    costus (have not used this as it's IFRA restricted but is supposed to smell musky/wet dog-ish)
    cepes absolute (this is the absolute of a mushroom. Smells earthy, mushroomy, and kind of like dirt)
    patchouli or spikenard
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

no way!!!!! haha. I love animals waaaaaaay too much - this is my problem - i don't want to use synthetics, but i don't want to use anything animals based either. i was hoping for an essential oil w/ a musky smell. oh well!!

Besides the essential oils and absolutes mentioned you could think of angelica root oil and a bit of cade, but it wil not be alike the white musks you buy in the store.

I agree, you can use any of the materials mentioned above for a sexy or even 'animalistic' or dark touch. However to me white musk has an uplifting light effect in a perfume and the above materials will probably ground or even 'darken' your scent. It mainly depends on what you are hoping to achieve with that perfume?
    Last edited by Irina; 27th January 2010 at 11:33 AM.