Code of Conduct

Default Habit Rouge Variations

I am interested in sampling some of this highly rated stuff - but am a little confused by the variations out there.

Can someone confirm that there is a distinct:

-EdT
    -EdC
    -EdP

or are two of the above, in fact, the same? and which is the 'beau cavalier' (i believe i have seen references to something named Beau Cavalier). I have been looking at theperfumedcourt for samples but do not see the EdP, so I am curious if there really is a different variation called EdP?

any summary of the differences across these would also be helpful! thanks

Default Re: Habit Rouge Variations

The Habit Rouge world is confusing...

There is currently edt, edp and extrait of Habit Rouge (besides aftershave). "Beau Cavalier" is simply the regular edp in a limited edition packaging.
    There is also a flanker: Habit Rouge Sport

Discontinued: Habit Rouge edc, Habit Rouge Légère (edt), Habit Rouge Dry (edc)

I'm sure others may correct me or fill in any gaps...

Read scentemental's review of the EdC, EdT, EdP, & Légère versions of HR in the directory. It should give you a clearer picture of the differences of each.

extremely helpful - thanks guys!

is the original EdC (and the EdP) widely available or available online? I seem to find the EdT mostly, which based on the reviews I think I am least partial to

The edc was recently discontinued, so it shouldn't be hard to find online. The edp might be tricky to locate, depending on where you live. If you're in the US, try visiting/calling a Guerlain boutique.

the EdP (although harder to source) is still in production?

Quote Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
    I am interested in sampling some of this highly rated stuff - but am a little confused by the variations out there.

Can someone confirm that there is a distinct:

-EdT
    -EdC
    -EdP

or are two of the above, in fact, the same? and which is the 'beau cavalier' (i believe i have seen references to something named Beau Cavalier). I have been looking at theperfumedcourt for samples but do not see the EdP, so I am curious if there really is a different variation called EdP?

any summary of the differences across these would also be helpful! thanks
    As tott and Mr. Guerlain our resident expert on Guerlain says, the HR EDP (in the red leather) is identical to the Beau Cavalier which is not available now. The EDC I have is vintage and is a little lighter than the EDP in both strength and smell, as would be expected. The EDC seems a little more citrusy and lighter than the EDP... which apparently has a little Oud in its base.

I quite like both the EDP and the EDC. I had a modern EDT that I sold when I acquired the vintage EDC. I found the modern EDT both "too close" to the EDP and a little "harsher"... FWIW.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

I have the modern EdT and I actually find it quite close to the stuff I wore in the late 80s. The EdP is a new creation as is the extrait and like Actiasluna stated, contain aoud in the base, making it a very different animal than it was.

ah, i did not realize that the EdP was a more recent innovation.

is the EdC that is around now, the same as the 'vintage' EdC or was there a reformulation? Do people just refer to the 'original' EdC to differentiate from the newer EdT/EdP or is it to differentiate from some reformulated EdC that is also out there?

sorry for the very basic questions!

The EDP is similar to the EDT. I find the current EDT pleasant with a lovely leather/citrus/vanilla.

The EDP is richer with the oud. Try to sample this if you can.

The parfum is marvelously warm and rich. I understand the parfum will be re-released (yet for an outrageous price) and unnumbered unlike the original release.
    Last edited by Primrose; 11th October 2010 at 05:28 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I have the modern EdT and I actually find it quite close to the stuff I wore in the late 80s. The EdP is a new creation as is the extrait and like Actiasluna stated, contain aoud in the base, making it a very different animal than it was.
    I have the modern Edt, but while is quite close, there`s something missing that made the old edt richer. It`s like the have amped the citrus opening, giving more emphasis on a lemon accord. I also detect a kind of roothy iris accord on this one too that i didn`t detected on the original edt. What i most miss is a coumarinic vanilla accord that was cleaned in the recent version. While i hate the opening of the old one, i miss that gorgeous base that is not the same on the recent one.

And does anybody knows if the Habit Rouge Legere and Habit Rouge Light are the same thing? I remember that i saw Guerlain launch in one year Habit Rouge Legere and then launch on the next year habit rouge light, but i`m not sure about this.

Not to go too far off topic, but I have heard people compare Habit Rouge to Musc Ravageur. I really dislike HR so I'm not the person to comment on this, but would be interested in hearing from people who are expert with both frags.

**Note: I screwed up. I've been reading so many reviews lately I managed to confuse Musc Ravageur with Old Spice as the frag that gets compared to Habit Rouge. Comments?**
    Last edited by blondex199667; 11th October 2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: screw-up

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    And does anybody knows if the Habit Rouge Legere and Habit Rouge Light are the same thing? I remember that i saw Guerlain launch in one year Habit Rouge Legere and then launch on the next year habit rouge light, but i`m not sure about this.
    The word "legere" means "light" in French, so I would presume they are the same.

The old Shalimar Eau Legere (now discontinued, sadly) is now Eau de Shalimar. It was sold as Shalimar Light.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    Not to go too far off topic, but I have heard people compare Habit Rouge to Musc Ravageur. I really dislike HR so I'm not the person to comment on this, but would be interested in hearing from people who are expert with both frags.
    I find MR much closer to Shalimar. I'm going out on a limb here, and more off topic, but I find Habit Rouge and Kouros to be cousins. The orange note they both share links them in my mind.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
    ah, i did not realize that the EdP was a more recent innovation.

is the EdC that is around now, the same as the 'vintage' EdC or was there a reformulation? Do people just refer to the 'original' EdC to differentiate from the newer EdT/EdP or is it to differentiate from some reformulated EdC that is also out there?

sorry for the very basic questions!
    No, there is vintage Eau de Cologne and current Eau de Cologne. It has been reformulated, so they smell slightly different. Of course, if you are not familiar with wearing HR for a long time, you might be very satisfied with the current juice. If I were you, I would search Ebay out for the vintage juice. Read some old threads on HR and you'll be able to learn how to differentiate the old bottles (box style, cap color, etc).

I prefer vintage EdC, vintage EdT, EdP and the l'Extrait (which is perfume). I do not enjoy the Sport. The Dry is just OK, but not really worth seeking out discontinued vintage bottles of. I didn't like the Legere (Light) when I tried it a year-or-so but I hope to try it again soon. I have never smelled the After Shave. I do not enjoy the current EdC or EdT - they are a bit too flat and radiant for my tastes.

Oh and BTW, the shower gel is great!

Good luck ufboy73.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Same thing

Do you think today`s EDT and EDP are so different that it`s worth to own both??

I love my Habit Rouge. I have the EdP.

I usu. go for the EDP in the winter (it has the addition of agarwood/oud) and the EDT in the summer.

All versions are wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Do you think today`s EDT and EDP are so different that it`s worth to own both??
    http://monsieurguerlain2.blogspot.co...bit-rouge.html

Thank you!

Blog Entries

I purchased two bottles of the limited edition Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier, which is absolutely marvelous. Words cannot express the beauty of this fragrance. It is like the tears of Angels in a bottle.

The EDP is the best IMO.

Basenotes Institution

Since my comments above, I was gifted a bottle of Habit Rouge Light and I love it! It has a place right beside my vintage EdC for the upcoming warmer weather.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle