Code of Conduct

Default Making a Pipe tobacco cologne

Folks, would it be possible to create a Pipe Tobacco cologne by simply immersing pipe tobacco into perfumer's alcohol for a long time, and then filtering the solution? In case you think it would work, what other ingredient (oil) could I add as a fixative? I would like the cologne to last a very long time....

Default Re: Making a Pipe tobacco cologne

Yes you could make a tincture. It probably doesn't need a fixative, tobacco absolute is used as fixative. I don't think I would like to wear the fragrance of only tobacco, but you can give it a try.

It's because good pipe tobacco is already kind of complex. My cavendish has vanilla and chocolate and other notes together with the tobacco!

Post Thanks / Like

interesting ! ... herbal ointments are made this way with pure alcohol .
    I also agree with you , many tobacco blends smell incredible .
    Here in Australia we have many imported brands that smell brilliant , some are , Bank , Port Royal & McBarren .
    Billy Budd have you smelt or smoked a pipe tobacco calle4d Cherry Cavendish ?
    cheers

Never thought of tincturing pipe blends, but now I'll try as I love those too, they are so complex. I wonder what kind of perfume/flavor materials are used for such blends, I'd like to try and make some myself from scratch... I did some tobacco abs blends with gourmand touches but they're never near as complex as the existing pipe blends.

Post Thanks / Like

You should be careful with tobacco tincture, it may catch the scent, but also the nicotine. Even wearing small amounts may have the same effect as wearing a nicotine patch or worse.

I advise you to use denicotinized tobacco absolute and then add other absolutes or EOs to mimic the scent of fine pipe tobacco. I must say it's a great idea! When you have caught the scent of Caledonian Highland Cream No10 by Petersen, please send me a bottle. I'll pay.

I`m also experimenting with Tobacco tincture right now.I`ve done a batch of the green leaf(freshly picked) as well as some dried leaf.I tinctured the green leaf for 14 days in pure ethyl alcohol.It has initially what I would call a green "tobaccoish" aroma on the skin. The dried leaf is still being tinctured.

The way things are Billy Bud,I`m not sure that I want to tincture any of my pipe tobacco..LOL

Yes Dimitrios, I tried the cherry cavendish and the black cavendish. I think that some pipe tobaccos are as good as fragrances. They are delicious, warm and complex. I will try to make my tinctures and use them as cologne. I don't mind if my skin absorbs a little bit of nicotine, as long as it is not a significant dose. I quit smoking a long time ago, but I still love the smells.

I have to experiment.

Post Thanks / Like

Billy Budd, I really ask you to please be careful, as people have suffered severe poisoning from just getting tobacco water on their hands when used as a bug spray on plants. I warn you because tobacco really is a very, very poisonous plant. The poisons are actually less active when the plant is smoked than when eaten or absorbed through the skin. (E.g. Eating two cigarettes is normally a deadly dose). A nicotine patch is enough to make a non smoker nauseous, and your tincture may be even stronger than that.

I do love to hear you're making your own tinctures, being wild and experimenting, but I also feel I need to warn you of possible dangers, as it may not be a question of just getting a little nicotine in your system.

I sincerely wish you good luck with your project and please keep that CHC No10 in mind. Have you per chance ever smelled it?

Iez, I did some research on my own and you are absolutely right. Nicotine is easily absorbed by the skin. I will try the denicotinized product...
    I've never tried the Petersen tobacco, is it very good? What are the main notes?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice thread ,, seems like its the same old dilemna as Colonel Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken !
    Only 11 herbs & spices in that but it hasn't been unlocked .
    I wonder how many aromatics go into pipe tobbacco ? then are they pure or synthetic ?
    I found a pipe smokers & cigar lovers website some years ago when i started a thread re: chery pipe tobacco .
    I'll revisit it & see if the D.I.Y section reveals anything .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Post Thanks / Like

Some tobacco flavoring formulas in Poucher's 'Perfumes, Cosmetics and Soaps' list coumarin, heliotropin, vanillin, sweet orange oil, nutmeg, tonka bean, and rhodinyl valerianate. I'd be surprised if blenders are using only natural materials nowaday. Interesting thread, everyone. I miss smoking my pipe, though I have to admit the tobacco always smells better when someone else is doing the smoking. My favorite aromatic: Mac Baren Vanilla Cream, smells delicious!
    Last edited by joxer96; 1st February 2010 at 04:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Would Make A Fine Tincture! Though as others said would be extremely bitter and savory! I guess maybe with some bayside rum could be a fine cologne...Oh and musk with patchouli and Oakmoss!..Man, sounds good!
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

Pipe Tobacco has a myriad of flavorings and aromatics mixed in, creating all of those fragrances that you experience. I addition, it has many other chems mixed in with it to keep it moist, like Propylene Glycol, which is NOT something that you want to get into your system. I just would strongly recommend against using prepackaged tobacco in perfumery. You *may* just *May* be able to find tobacco without any added chems and flavors, but boy, it will be extremely difficult to do so, as I HAVE looked around, and not really found any sources

Working with Tobacco, and making fragrances, I would just recommend starting from scratch and making your own blend, rather than relying on someone else's brew, and I'd recommend the absolute as your base, and then there are a few synths for usage as well.

Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Try adding this to your blend but easy on the amount. Choya Loban is made by traditional destructive distillation of Styrax Benzoin. It has a sharply diffusive and smoky aroma underscored with the benzoin aroma and distinct leather notes.

Choya Loban is a specialty oil for use in natural perfumery. Please note: Choya Loban is very strong and should be used with a gentle touch. Our Choya Loban is made from Benzoin resin which cannot be steam (or hydro) distilled into a (normal) essential oil. Rather, the destructive distillation technique breaks apart the chemical bonds and creates a dark colored liquid oil - rather than a true essential oil. While Choya Loban does not have that pleasant of an aroma on its own, it is very useful in small amounts for adding a smokey/leathery note to natural perfume blends and base accords.
    you can get it here: http://www.edenbotanicals.com

I just ordered it and now they are sold out but I can't wait to try it....also Cognac is wonderful. I use Jojoba oil only with EO.

Post Thanks / Like

Nature's gift also carrries Choya Loban. No affiliation.

Here is a link to their page which has good information about the oil...

http://www.naturesgift.com/essential/Choya-Loban.htm

I agree, just a tiny bit is all you need. It is strong stuff.

After reading this thread, I am so grateful for my Tobacco Leaf Absolute.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to read this:

http://www.leffingwell.com/tob2.htm

Also check the references at the end of the article

Immortelle / Helychrysum has a dry tobacco quality to its scent. It might make a good basic tobacco base to which you could add nuances.

Post Thanks / Like

+1

I recently purchased immortelle absolute, and thought the same.

Quote Originally Posted by tourmaline View Post
    Immortelle / Helychrysum has a dry tobacco quality to its scent. It might make a good basic tobacco base to which you could add nuances.