Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fresh Scent. Lasts 12 hours. Under $40 for a 3.4 bottle. Please help!

I didn't want to bother you guys with a fresh scent question, but I'm seriously stumped. I checked the archives and people recommend Geir and Creeds...in case some of you don't know, I'm a cheapskate.

I prefer citrus but aquatic is okay, too. Classes are starting soon, and I want a fresh scent that lasts 12 hours.

Here are some I have with which I'm dissatisfied:

1. Issey and Acqua and Aqva (too sour/salty)
    2. Rive Gauche (great, but people don't notice it after 2 hours)
    3. Chrome and Cool Water (good longevity but way too synthetic)
    4. 212 Men (nice, but I want something less green)
    5. Monsieur Balmain (Beautiful, but the lemony top becomes too formal with the wood)
    6. Burberry Summer (way too sweet)

I'll greatly appreciate any help.

Edit: LIVE JAZZ ROCKS! Thank you for helping me find it!

Last edited by Spray; 24th February 2010 at 05:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fresh Scent. 12 hours. Under 40 dollars for a 3.4 bottle. Please help!

High quality fresh scents that don't have a huge synthetic component to them are not going to be very long-lasting. You may want to bring some with you to refresh throughout the day.

Having said that, do you want citrus, green, aquatic,...???

Do you like Eau Sauvage, CERRUTI 1881??
    Last edited by mrclmind; 27th January 2010 at 03:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fresh Scent. 12 hours. Under 40 dollars for a 3.4 bottle. Please help!

I love citrus. Aquatic is okay. I don't want something green. I didn't like the dirty notes in Sauvage and Kouros. I don't know Cerruti or 1881. I'll check out their review pages. Thanks.
    Last edited by Spray; 27th January 2010 at 04:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cerruti and 1881 seem too green from the reviews I've read. Thanks for the lead, though.

Post Thanks / Like

OK if you like citrus, you may have a hard time getting the longevity you desire. For aquatics, you may want to look toward Bulgari Aqua.

Have you tried regular Bulgari pour Homme?

How about Boucheron pour Homme?
    Last edited by mrclmind; 27th January 2010 at 04:08 AM.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

CK One or Hugo XY.

Post Thanks / Like

Aqua de Geo?

Post Thanks / Like

I thought you wrote "Cerruti and 1881". So I checked out Cerruti by Cerruti and 1881 by Cerruti. I have Aqva - it's too sour/salty for what I want right now. Boucheron is actually my first basenotes blind buy. One supporter's review was so great that I thought it was exactly what I wanted. I shelled out 50 for the EDP! Now I have my 40 dollar shield so I don't get my wallet and heart broken again. Luckily it sold on eBay three days later. It turned out to be incredibly soapy/powdery - like something for more mature gentlemen.

I've heard about the original Bvlgari. I'll give it a sniff at Sephora or Perfumania tomorrow.
    Last edited by Spray; 27th January 2010 at 03:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    CK One or Hugo XY.
    CK1 smells kind of like Chrome, which I already have. Hugo XY sounds interesting I'll check out the reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Aqua de Geo?
    I have it - it's too sour for my tastes now.

Save your money if you can't decide.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't go just by reviews....I'd go to a good fragrance counter and smell for yourself. You may miss out on a fragrance you really like, because you didn't smell for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

one word: Live Jazz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    one word: Live Jazz
    Love it. You may like "Jazz" too.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't go just by reviews....I'd go to a good fragrance counter and smell for yourself. You may miss out on a fragrance you really like, because you didn't smell for yourself.
    I get so overwhelmed at fragrance stores. Last year, I almost bought Chanel Allure because of the incredible top notes! I'm so happy I decided to go home and see how it developed. It was just average.

I've found my best strategy is to go in with two scents in mind. I'm going to try the original Bvlgari pour Homme you recommended on one wrist and something else on the other.
    Last edited by Spray; 27th January 2010 at 04:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Try one of the Jazz scents from YSL. They're both very good.

Post Thanks / Like

I love both YSL scents I have (Opium and Rive). Maybe I should keep it in the family. I don't know where to test either Jazz.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Save your money if you can't decide.
    LOL - You're damn right! I'll just wear my John Varvatos if I can't find what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by Spray; 27th January 2010 at 04:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my favorite fresh scents are:

Gendarme
    Colonia Assoluta
    L' Essence de Declaration
    CdG Peppermint

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Yes try both Jazzes, I think both are great as well. I would have also recommended Bvlgari Pour Homme, but it doesn't exactly last very long on me. I get more freshness and longevity from Bvlgari Extreme Pour homme, but I find the grapefruit note a little too citrusy, a little sharp and stays on too long for my liking on the whole. Still Bvlgari Pour homme is a good one, albeit more a skin scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my favorite fresh scents are:

Gendarme
    Colonia Assoluta
    L' Essence de Declaration
    CdG Peppermint
    Buzzlepuff, how do you say "expensive" in French?
    Thanks for the Gendarme recommendation, I just saw it for 40 on Amazon.
    Last edited by Spray; 27th January 2010 at 04:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Yes try both Jazzes, I think both are great as well. I would have also recommended Bvlgari Pour Homme, but it doesn't exactly last very long on me. I get more freshness and longevity from Bvlgari Extreme Pour homme, but I find the grapefruit note a little too citrusy, a little sharp and stays on too long for my liking on the whole. Still Bvlgari Pour homme is a good one, albeit more a skin scent.
    I get nervous whenever I see "skin scent". I love it when random people get a whiff, not just the one I'm with. I'll be sure to test the Extreme version as well.
    Last edited by Spray; 27th January 2010 at 04:43 AM.

Adidas Sport Field. Your wallet will thank you !

Versace PH without question.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Adidas Sport Field. Your wallet will thank you !
    LOL $6 wow. I never thought I'd stoop so low. Does it last long?
    Last edited by Spray; 27th January 2010 at 04:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Test it yourself. Different fragrances react differently on different people

Fresh scents often start out nice and loud and settle down to skin scents fairly rapidly. This is especially true if the freshness is mainly citrus, and there are few synthetic elements adding to the longevity. There are some exceptions obviously. Most of us who like great citrus scents understand that we will have to reapply more frequently.

BTW, have you tried Concentre Orange Verte by Hermes? (You probably won't find it for under $40, but you should test it).
    Last edited by mrclmind; 27th January 2010 at 04:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    That bottle is so sexy! Thanks for the recommendation.

Post Thanks / Like

Test it yourself. Different fragrances react differently on different people

Fresh scents often start out nice and loud and settle down to skin scents fairly rapidly. This is especially true if the freshness is mainly citrus, and there are few synthetic elements adding to the longevity. There are some exceptions obviously. Most of us who like great citrus scents understand that we will have to reapply more frequently.

BTW, have you tried Concentre Orange Verte by Hermes? (You probably won't find it for under $40, but you should test it).
    I tried the original Orange Verte at Sephora. It smells great, but reapplying isn't for me. I just saw the Concentre on "sale" for $88 down from 124. That thing better be made by THE Hermes himself. I'll be honest, 2 years ago I spent over $100 on Arancia di Capri. Thank God for Sephora's return policy. That stuff lasted less than 2 hours on my skin.
    Last edited by Spray; 27th January 2010 at 05:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

But he doesn't like synthetics... This one is pretty synthetic if you ask me.... Allure Sport is less synthetic and similar to my nose.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 27th January 2010 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    That bottle is so sexy! Thanks for the recommendation.
    Versace PH is like the older, more mature brother to AdG. It is in some ways simultaneously sweeter and woodier. There is a wonderful cedar note in the heart and also a dry oud note in the dry down alongside some ambergris and mineral notes along with a smattering of sweet tonka. The heart is full of clary sage and some slightly sweet floral notes (neroli for sure) that make it smell something like the taste you'd have in your mouth if you ate an orange sweet tart while drinking some 7-Up. The opening is a wonderful citrus blast. The whole thing lasts inordinately long on me. Once as I was coming to bed my girlfriend asked if I had just put some more on as she thought it seemed rather strong and it had been at least 7 hours since application - a mere two spritzes.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the original Orange Verte at Sephora. It smells great, but reapplying isn't for me. I just saw the Concentre on "sale" for $88 down from 124. That thing better be made by THE Hermes himself. I'll be honest, 2 years ago I spent over $100 on Arancia di Capri. Thank God for Sephora's return policy. That stuff lasted less than 2 hours on my skin.
    The concentre lasts longer. You may have to go for a synthetic like Vesace PH, if reapplying is out of the question.

Very nice, but he doesn't like synthetics... This one is pretty synthetic if you ask me.... Allure Sport is less synthetic and similar to my nose.
    True, it does come across as a bit synthetic in the drydown. That's the one thing that keeps it from being a 5 star frag in my estimation. I do think it quite natural smelling before that - the sage note, especially, is quite accurately rendered.

In that case, Hugo XY may be a better choice as it doesn't have quite the longevity yet doesn't smell quite as synthetic or 'harsh' in the drydown.

I still think Versace PH is worth checking out as i find it much less synthetic smelling than Chrome or Cool Water (and I find Rive Gauche - which spray finds to be wonderful - for instance, more synthetic smelling by far). Chrome especially is very harsh, thin and metallic, while Versace PH is much more 'full-bodied'.

edit: I also think Versace PH is far more all-purpose than most fresh scents. It's light enough to be used on the hottest of days yet has enough body to be satisfying in the winter, something that can't be said for the comparitively cooler/thinner composition of Hugo XY, Chrome, etc.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 27th January 2010 at 05:05 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

But he doesn't like synthetics... This one is pretty synthetic if you ask me.... Allure Sport is less synthetic and similar to my nose.
    I guess I have only dealt with synthetics. I just think that Cool Water and Chrome are over-the-top synthetic.

Post Thanks / Like

True, it does come across as a bit synthetic in the drydown. That's the one thing that keeps it from being a 5 star frag in my estimation. I do think it quite natural smelling before that - the sage note, especially, is quite accurately rendered.

In that case, Hugo XY may be a better choice as it doesn't have quite the longevity yet doesn't smell quite as synthetic or 'harsh' in the drydown.

I still think Versace PH is worth checking out as i find it much less synthetic smelling than Chrome or Cool Water (and I find Rive Gauche - which spray finds to be wonderful - for instance, more synthetic smelling by far). Chrome especially is very harsh, thin and metallic, while Versace PH is much more 'full-bodied'.
    Very good suggestion over all.

Post Thanks / Like

You may try F By Ferragamo Pour Homme. It opens with very fresh and light fruity (not too sweet)topnote and turns to smooth and light spicy drydown. Its longevity is very good on my skin.

Another one that comes to mind is Dali's Le Roy Soleil. It's a sort of bitter orange, grapefruit, rosewood and geranium fragrance that dries down to a gentle cedar note. There is a certain bitterness that runs throughout though, so you may find it too sour (it's actually more bitter than sour, and not really salty - the scent is more bitter/sweet). Longevity and projection are very good.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

Versace PH is like the older, more mature brother to AdG. It is in some ways simultaneously sweeter and woodier. There is a wonderful cedar note in the heart and also a dry oud note in the dry down alongside some ambergris and mineral notes along with a smattering of sweet tonka. The heart is full of clary sage and some slightly sweet floral notes (neroli for sure) that make it smell something like the taste you'd have in your mouth if you ate an orange sweet tart while drinking some 7-Up. The opening is a wonderful citrus blast. The whole thing lasts inordinately long on me. Once as I was coming to bed my girlfriend asked if I had just put some more on as she thought it seemed rather strong and it had been at least 7 hours since application - a mere two spritzes.
    That was beautiful! But now I'm scared because I hate ADG sour note (same goes for Issey).

Well, if extreme longevity wasn't a concern I'd have a number of other recommendations, but as is, it's sort of a hard category to fill given the limitations!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

I like this one too. Not as easy to find in major dept. stores as the Versace though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post
    You may try F By Ferragamo Pour Homme. It opens with very fresh and light fruity (not too sweet)topnote and turns to smooth and light spicy drydown. Its longevity is very good on my skin.
    Is your skin harsh towards longevity? I can spray Opium three times to the neck and still tame it to normal sillage/longevity. Rive Gauche becomes baby powder in an hour.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like Guerlain Homme for a fresh scent more than most of the other modern ones out there, but I'm in the minority here.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if extreme longevity wasn't a concern I'd have a number of other recommendations, but as is, it's sort of a hard category to fill given the limitations!
    I know, right! I've been so stumped for a month... I had to ask you guys for help. I really appreciate all of your recommendations! I wouldn't have thought of most of these. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like Guerlain Homme for a fresh scent more than most of the other modern ones out there, but I'm in the minority here.
    What does the majority say?

Post Thanks / Like

read the reviews. I think it's absolutely flawless personally.

It's another good fresh scent with body and an interesting development. I should revisit it as I recently realized I've overcome some chemical sensitivities. When I last tested Guerlain Homme the powdery/woody base was EXTREMELY strong on me, but I have a feeling that may be due to the chemical sensitivity which also made some other scents unbearably loud/piercing/shrill - scents that now smell normal and balanced to me.

If that issues clears up, I think I could love this one.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 27th January 2010 at 05:15 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

lol

Post Thanks / Like

It's another good fresh scent with body and an interesting development. I should revisit it as I recently realized I've overcome some chemical sensitivities. When I last tested Guerlain Homme the powdery/woody base was EXTREMELY strong on me, but I have a feeling that may be due to the chemical sensitivity which also made some other scents unbearably loud/piercing/shrill - scents that now smell normal and balanced to me.

How did you feel about Boucheron pour Homme? I found it to be a Powderbomb.

Post Thanks / Like

You might also like the latest Hanae Mori

Post Thanks / Like

Your review was great. I can't wait to try Guerlain Homme. (Guerlainade lol)

Post Thanks / Like

What's so interesting about this one is that on me, it stays very fresh into the drydown. On my SO, the Guerlainade is what is present almost immediately. He was wearing it the other day, and I asked him if he was wearing Cologne du 68. All I could smell was the Guerlainade.

Post Thanks / Like

You might also like the latest Hanae Mori
    HM looks like a gourmand (vanilla/chocolate).
    I know Opium and John Varvatos aren't gourmands, but that's as sweet as I'll go. I smelled Rochas and Angel and they smelled like cotton candy.

Post Thanks / Like

MonkeyManMatt described "Guerlainade" as the following:

I smell it strongly in Heritage.
    Kind of sour at first, like an acidic vanilla with civet. Adds a great "ancient" dimension to their stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... my wires must be crossed. I just tried a newer release today that was very fresh, and I thought it was from Hanae Mori. But I could be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the great recommendations (and I learned a few new things about perfumery). I wouldn't have found them without you! I can't wait for the morning to read the posts that are written while I sleep!

Post Thanks / Like

On me, the Guerlainade in Guerlain Homme is very subdued. It is their house accord. It is a tonka/vanilla/iris accord that has been keeping them in business for a very long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Is your skin harsh towards longevity? I can spray Opium three times to the neck and still tame it to normal sillage/longevity. Rive Gauche becomes baby powder in an hour.
    I can’t say that my skin harsh towards longevity. But I have to admit that I have a heavy hand in general (5-6 sprays) and when it happens to apply a very light cologne such as Eau Sauvage or R&G’s Extra Vieille, I tend to make 10-15 sprays…..or more!

Joop! Jump?

Post Thanks / Like

Second the Live Jazz suggestions - not many summer frags as good as this out there. Love the mint / grapefruit combo, however sometimes the cilantro ruins it and other times it doesnt.
    Not quite under 40$ but lemony fresh - Chanel Allure homme edition Blanche. Why not save a bit more and get something you really like though?
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Guerlain Homme Intense.

You may also try Valentino's V pour Homme.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Just curious, why is Live Jazz so cheap?