Code of Conduct
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Irritating questions asked at perfume stores...

"Are you looking to buy for yourself or...?"

Why does it really matter who I buy it for? It still sells for the same price, doesn't it?

"What kind of scents are you looking for? Fresh...?"

No. I'm actually looking for a masculine in a classic chypre structure, one with perhaps a little more depth and excellent sillage. Can you help?

These are hypothetical responses of course. Most of the time I usually smile and play along, or act 'dumb'. Yeah, I know. I try hard not to be such a grouch but its hard sometimes.... They usually leave me alone to browse after that. Any other irritating questions you've heard at the stores?
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 27th January 2010 at 05:39 PM.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Irritating questions asked at perfume stores...

Both these open ended questions are posed just to engage you.

Aside for the occasional SA who regurgitates INCORRECT information, I am often more irritated at what I overhear the CUSTOMER saying... often their self-appreciating sense of aloofness is just, embarrassing!

Let's face it - perfume geeks like us are still the 'underground' of perfume buyers worldwide. I am hopeful that one day we'll be a little bit larger in number; a little more widespread, but for the time being at least, don't take it personally when a SA is just trying to talk to you and do their job. Most of the general public doesn't know about perfume categories, what osmanthus or cedar or oud or indole smell like; most have a vague idea of "sweet" or "fresh" or "what's on offer?" or "what's new?" or "nothing strong, please" and you have to ask gentle, basic questions to get anywhere at all.

So these types of questions aren't designed to piss perfume geeks off even though that's what they end up doing.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm now a perfume geek.. Damn you, Basenotes!

But I agree with Dmitri and Nukapai, that's why I usually smile and play along. I know those questions are the 'standard routine' questions. But allow me to clarify. It's more of the way they ask those questions and the body language (the way they hover over you), like they can't wait for you to make your mind up, take a decision, buy some perfumes and get the hell out. I just wish they would just smile and say, "Please take your time, help yourself. I'll be here if you need any help, ok?" and then stand aside.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 27th January 2010 at 05:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Once, a SA asked me if I'm not too young- I was over 20 back then- for a certain frag, thinking that my biological age automatically disqualifies me from buying a classic, yet unaware of the fact that far more elderly peers of mine actually prefer more youthful frags than me.

Well, hovering over customers never makes them feel comfortable. That's just poor sales technique.

"Just how many colognes do you own?"

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    "Please take your time, help yourself. I'll be here if you need any help, ok?" and then stand aside.
    This is the technique that gets me more sales.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty
    LOL.

I love when people tell me they have "loads" of perfume. They usually mean 5 bottles, which by most peoples standards is a lot... but not by ours

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm now a perfume geek.. Damn you, Basenotes!

But I agree with Dmitri and Nukapai, that's why I usually smile and play along. I know those questions are the 'standard routine' questions. But allow me to clarify. It's more of the way they ask those questions and the body language (the way they hover over you), like they can't wait for you to make your mind up, take a decision, buy some perfumes and get the hell out. I just wish they would just smile and say, "Please take your time, help yourself. I'll be here if you need any help, ok?" and then stand aside.
    Absolutely understand. I cannot stand being followed around the perfume section like I am going to steal something. SAs and I have done the goose chase right around all the perfume counters here ( currently in Asia ) - I couldn't lose them ,stuck like glue to my behind - actually I walked here and there really quickly to try and wind them up abit .They followed me so closely it was hilarious.
    Maybe I looked abit dubious ...............
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 27th January 2010 at 10:29 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I feel the same way but I totally understand. Basically they're trying to be helpful and point you in the right direction by asking what kind of a person you're looking for or if there's a certain type of fragrance at a high level you had in mind.

I usually just say, "I've got a few ideas in mind and I'll just smell around and let you know if I need anything. Thanks."
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I know these questions...."What do you wear now?" (I'm thinking, what day is it? What time of day? We have SOTD, SOTE, sometimes scent of the afternoon for Pete's sake!) "What kinds of fragrances do you like?" "Oh a semi woody oriental in cooler temperatures and sometimes a nice, crisp dry wood; definitely not classic soft floral and absolutely not a rich floral oriental." Usually their eyes glaze over by this time.

Most SA's will ask me to try the latest whatever they are pushing, so I just ask them what the notes are in it. 9 times out of 10 they can't tell me, so I say, "No thank you." (Unless I want to try it, of course.)

I like the SA's who ask me if I want to smell anything particular because usually I do.
    "Mom.now the kitten smells like Chamade!"

LOL! Perfume geeks, indeed!

I think it's all in the marketing and sales of perfume. Sephora, for instance, has little brochures called "fragrance finders," where the prospective perfume buyer is asked things like, "Do you like relaxing at the oceanside?" or "Are you fun and flirty?" (These questions are for women) and also, "Do you prefer a rich, hearty steak?" or "Which movie do you prefer: drama, thriller or comedy?" (These are for men.) There are then recommended fragrance categories with samples of the "types" from which to make your choice.

This, of course, is useless for the perfume geek...

So--I believe the questions Diamondflame finds so odd and unusual are just opening questions from an SA to engage the propective buyer into shopping for a scent.

No. I'm actually looking for a masculine in a classic chypre structure, one with perhaps a little more depth and excellent sillage. Can you help?

What is the response to this on the average...from the average SA?

(I am still getting over looking for Prada L'Eau Ambree and the SA saying, "We only have the Prada Milano." (Pointing to the boxes of Infusion d'Iris.)
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th January 2010 at 11:01 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    LOL!
    SA saying, "We only have the Prada Milano." (Pointing to the boxes of Infusion d'Iris.)
    I saw this box at Sephora's, Primrose. It made me think of your posts & laugh.
    Classic!
    "Mom.now the kitten smells like Chamade!"

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

(I am still getting over looking for Prada L'Eau Ambree and the SA saying, "We only have the Prada Milano." (Pointing to the boxes of Infusion d'Iris.)
    I was told they had Prada Milano also - but it was in reference to Prada Infusion d'Homme.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

All of this is bringing back the horror of working at Sephora and other Cosmetic positions I had.

I always hated the "training" sessions. This is where they would play games with us, as if we were 10 years old, and we needed to try and come up with great open ended "conversation starters".

My goodness I hated working in the cosmetic/fragrance/beauty world so much!!!

I was always the "I will be right over here, if you have any questions." type of Sales Associate. Which everyone in management/corporate hated. Even when "I" was the manager, the "powers that be" would tell me; "You need to be more pro-active(aggressive) in approaching clients, you need to set the proper tone for the staff."
    Oh yes, we needed to be shark-like and hunt the clients as if they were prey; I think not.

Well, this will be another month of "therapy" to get me through the flashbacks from retail hell.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 28th January 2010 at 03:03 AM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    I always hated the "training" sessions. This is where they would play games with us, as if we were 10 years old, and we needed to try and come up with great open ended "conversation starters".
    I recoil when SAs are too pushy and intimate and try to engage you in a kind of personal conversation. This is what they're often taught at their trainings, usually based on US pop psychology and retail ideas. This can be practically offensive to customers from other cultures (and maybe in the US as well). Companies should try to realise this.

I've translated some internal handbooks/training sessions for a couple of different companies, and most of those teach US sales tactics that would make potential customers over here uneasy, defensive and reluctant to buy anything.
    Last edited by tott; 28th January 2010 at 04:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind the open-ended questions too much, although I usually can't think of any decent answers on the spot. The hovering DOES bother me sometimes. I had one horrible experience when I was browsing with a friend and the SA from the first counter literally followed us all around the floor from counter to counter informing all the other SAs that we were "only looking." If we had been planning to buy before, we certainly weren't going to after that. Maybe she was just having a bad day.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

LMAO. Prada Milano! Kinda cute though...

What is the response to this on the average...from the average SA?
    My guess would be this: "Huh?"

I have never asked that question and probably never will, not unless I feel confident in the SA's ability to tackle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Actually, I feel the same way but I totally understand. Basically they're trying to be helpful and point you in the right direction by asking what kind of a person you're looking for or if there's a certain type of fragrance at a high level you had in mind.

I usually just say, "I've got a few ideas in mind and I'll just smell around and let you know if I need anything. Thanks."
    Smooth reply. That's typically the kind of response I give, though perhaps not as eloquently put.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I recoil when SAs are too pushy and intimate and try to engage you in a kind of personal conversation. This is what they're often taught at their trainings, usually based on US pop psychology and retail ideas. This can be practically offensive to customers from other cultures (and maybe in the US as well). Companies should try to realise this.
    Excellent point. Aggressive sales tactics tend to turn off many Asians though they seem to be a little more receptive when the SAs are Caucasians.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 28th January 2010 at 05:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'll buck the trend and just say "Aw, they're just trying to do their jobs. And they have no idea what to do with us perfume geeks."

That being said, one that I've heard more than once that really ticks me off:

Oh no, sir. That one's for women.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I too hate the "Are you looking to buy for yourself or...?" question. Most of the time I reply that I'm looking for myself which usually gets a strange look from the SA. My guess is that in small country towns people only buy fragrances as gifts.

Another question that gets on my nerves, "Do you realise this is the body lotion not the perfume?". Well yes, I'm perfectly aware of that, 'body lotion' is clearly printed on the box.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest guys..I don't really care what they ask me, It's there job. They're obligated to be persistent and cognizant. So I guess like the rest of ya'll here, out of courtesy I respond amiably! As long as I get my answer I'm happy

Cheers and take care all!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Post Thanks / Like

I just wish they would just smile and say, "Please take your time, help yourself. I'll be here if you need any help, ok?" and then stand aside.
    Amen Diamond! Amen!! I always feel a bit weary when the SA's hover over me!
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

May I respectfully suggest assuming that an unfamiliar SA is human until she/he proves otherwise? Maybe even have your own ice breaking question ready. I always hope the SA knows more about what's on her particular counter than I do. And I might want to ask for a sample.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Omg, rogalal. I got that so often, everytime I pick a female fragrance to sample. "But that's for women..."
    I have to lie and tell them I'm looking to buy for my girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    May I respectfully suggest assuming that an unfamiliar SA is human until she/he proves otherwise? Maybe even have your own ice breaking question ready. I always hope the SA knows more about what's on her particular counter than I do. And I might want to ask for a sample.
    Hope springs eternal, of course. And product knowledge is something anyone would expect from the SAs.
    Unfortunately, 1 out of 3 times the interaction goes something like this:-

Me: "OK. So what you think of this perfume?"
    SA: ??? (looks confused)
    Me: Is it fresh, or sweet, or woodsy, smoky...?
    SA: (stares at the box, trying to find the answer)
    Me: It's ok. Do you have a sample?
    SA: No.
    Me: How about a tester?
    SA: (looks around, unable to find one)
    Me: How about you open this box and let me sample some?
    SA: Uh, hang on, let me check with the manager.

Seriously, I probably need to have some valiums on standby...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 28th January 2010 at 07:38 PM.

the most priceless comment ever was from a Guerlain SA when i wanted to test Shalimar: "noooo! that smells like old lady! may i recommend insolence instead?"

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    I'll buck the trend and just say "Aw, they're just trying to do their jobs. And they have no idea what to do with us perfume geeks."

That being said, one that I've heard more than once that really ticks me off:

Oh no, sir. That one's for women.
    When I try men's stuff in the US - I get no problems .
    Here in Asia- when I sprayed myself with Dior Homme- the SAs were horrified ....
    " But it's for men, it's a men's cologne, it's a men's perfume ,for men " ...
    "Thank you , I got the picture ,honey . " But I LIKE it, I will try it and I may buy it for me ."
    *shock ,horror * Psst. " something wrong with that lady "

*LOL*
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 29th January 2010 at 03:47 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Not irritating per se, but I always get the "You again?" "Oh man he's going to go through every single thing and possibly mess up the displays.". I've been known to spend 3-4 hours in some shops, my last 2 visits to a certain shop, I'd spent close to 5 hours digging. I am *not* exaggerating. Though I *always* buy something (usually much more than 1) each time. I can't ever remember when I haven't left with something. I am just glad in my case, these shop keepers/staff now know to just leave me by myself, as it works best for me, and them.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Not irritating per se, but I always get the "You again?" "Oh man he's going to go through every single thing and possibly mess up the displays.". I've been known to spend 3-4 hours in some shops, my last 2 visits to a certain shop, I'd spent close to 5 hours digging. I am *not* exaggerating. Though I *always* buy something (usually much more than 1) each time. I can't ever remember when I haven't left with something. I am just glad in my case, these shop keepers/staff now know to just leave me by myself, as it works best for me, and them.
    LOL. Yup. The staff members at Jasina has wised up to me by now. The longer I spend at their store the more I tend to spend once I'm done... And both parties end up happy. A win-win situation for all concerned.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

^ DF, imagine a local BN gathering, and we went there all at once for a sniffaton(doesn't mean we need to spend)... hmmmm.... very messy..

Why does it really matter who I buy it for? It still sells for the same price, doesn't it?

"What kind of scents are you looking for? Fresh...?"

These are hypothetical responses of course. Most of the time I usually smile and play along, or act 'dumb'. Yeah, I know. I try hard not to be such a grouch but its hard sometimes.... They usually leave me alone to browse after that. Any other irritating questions you've heard at the stores?
    Sounds like you are shopping at the wrong store. I don't go to the Hyundai dealer looking for a Mercedes.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Maestro View Post
    Sounds like you are shopping at the wrong store. I don't go to the Hyundai dealer looking for a Mercedes.
    LOL. Indeed.

lol, I have hilarious relationships with SA's.

I find it amusing when some less experienced SA's get freaked out at the fact that I know more about fragrances than them and that will sometimes lead to interesting conversations because they're intrigued as to why I know so much about fragrances. There are some SA's who will piss me off because they will litterally stalk me around the whole fragrance department keep watching me as if I'm going to steal something! It is very annoying at times but that doesn't happen very often aanymore because most of the SA's know who I am and will usually let me get on with things because they probably realise I'm not thier 'average' customer haha but I'll always go to some of the experienced and knowledgable SA's if I need help on a particular fragrance or if I would like to hear their advice on something.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I never get asked, always TOLD, "this is just in, it's very popular, it's very FRESH!" and my blood pressure skyrockets every time.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asingleman View Post
    I never get asked, always TOLD, "this is just in, it's very popular, it's very FRESH!" and my blood pressure skyrockets every time.
    Haha! How true! And sometimes I can't help wondering - do I smell 'unwashed' or something? *LOL*

I've heard a funny chat once:

-Voglio un profumo per favore... (I want a perfume, please)
    -per voi o per qualcun altro?... (for you of for somebody else?)
    -Per mia madre (for my mother)
    -A...attendere... (wait)

... and she comes with 3 perfume testers, very expensive perfumes, nothing less than 300 euros.

And the guy, surprised: -E, signora! Ho detto PER MIA MADRE, non per ragazza !!! (hey, lady, I said for my mother, not for a gal)

The funnyest chat I ever heard in a perfume store.

P.S.-excuse my italian, I don;t speak it too well, but I thought it sounded funnier how I heard it.
    Last edited by w3pearl; 11th February 2010 at 12:55 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL. That is indeed hilarious, w3pearl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Personally, I love that question. I'll say "somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 bottles" and suddenly they're a lot more willing to leave me to my own devices in terms of sampling.
    I refuse to sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    Personally, I love that question. I'll say "somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 bottles" and suddenly they're a lot more willing to leave me to my own devices in terms of sampling.
    how smart! I must copy your answer next time when I am asked.

I had an interesting conversation with a SA sometime ago. I was testing Chinatown when she asked me where I heard about it. I said I heard from Luca Turin and I came to try it because it was rated 5 star in the Guide. She looked lost, but after few seconds she said:
    "I know a lot about fragrance as well. This one (Chinatown) is quite strong. Have you tried Light Blue?"
    Last edited by j_mysscent; 16th February 2010 at 09:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

DF, those questions are pretty much the norm moments after entering the store or counter. I usually just smile and say "I'm just browsing". I was testing out the new Aramis Cool Blend just now and the male SA was shocked that I had on Aramis (1965) because He always associated that frag with middle age balding men. The funniest thing an SA ever said to me was that the 24M symbol at the bottom of frag boxes indicated the water resistant level of the frag..I kid u not. Incidentally I was holding a box of Cool Water when I asked the question. It sounded very much funnier in Cantonese/Madarin. The SA also had this deadpan serious look when she said it. That really cheered up my day ! LOL
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's more of the way they ask those questions and the body language (the way they hover over you), like they can't wait for you to make your mind up, take a decision, buy some perfumes and get the hell out. I just wish they would just smile and say, "Please take your time, help yourself. I'll be here if you need any help, ok?" and then stand aside.
    I have the same wish .... i end up buying samples and fragarnces online....

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    ^ DF, imagine a local BN gathering, and we went there all at once for a sniffaton(doesn't mean we need to spend)... hmmmm.... very messy..
    I think a bunch of Basenoters together in a scent shop or at a perfume counter would be most SAs worst nightmare! LOL! Seiously, I concur with Brielle that hovering is the worst sales technique. And I *don't* want to buy within seconds of spraying the scent. I had one Jo Malone SA spray a little strip of paper and ask within moment while the scent was still wet on the paper, "Which types of scents do you enjoy?" BTW, I *never* buy based on a paper strip. The proof is on the skin. If the SA will not spray on my skin or pony up a sample vial, he has lost a sale. BTW, I find *no* longevity at all in Jo Malone scents. Interesting concept in the prettiest, spare department store displays, though. (The recent D&G releases are rocking this spare "niche" bottle aesthetic.)
    Last edited by Primrose; 17th February 2010 at 01:30 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a bunch of Basenoters together in a scent shop or at a perfume counter would be most SAs worst nightmare!
    Actually I've been on outings with SoCal Basenotes and I think the SAs at Lucky Scent quite enjoyed it. But they are more knowledgeable than most frag SAs imo. Another group sniff is coming up at another location and we'll see how that goes.

I agree. Sometimes it really gets irritating especially when they hover over you. But I do understand them. They were ordered and trained to do that to provide the "best customer service" possible and others overdo it. Let's face it, people who don't know much about fragrances welcome these kinds of help. So, I don't think that they are doing bad.

I agree. Sometimes it really gets irritating especially when they hover over you. But I do understand them. They were ordered and trained to do that to provide the "best customer service" possible and others overdo it. Let's face it, people who don't know much about fragrances welcome these kinds of help. So, I don't think that they are doing bad.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    The funniest thing an SA ever said to me was that the 24M symbol at the bottom of frag boxes indicated the water resistant level of the frag..
    Seriously?! Or was he just pulling your leg? Who does his perfume-sniffing underwater..? LOL. But kudos to you for rocking out Aramis. It's an awesome frag.

I think a bunch of Basenoters together in a scent shop or at a perfume counter would be most SAs worst nightmare! LOL! \
    Not necessarily. That's the cue for them to take their meal breaks. Just let the store owner man the cash registers. I know quite a few BN'ers who shop for fragrances like they do with groceries...with baskets/trolleys!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeGoddess View Post
    I understand they're just doing their job. But the more experienced SAs will know when to butt in with recommendations and when to step aside. I'm still waiting for an SA to point a fragrance newbie to www.basenotes.net.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Actually I've been on outings with SoCal Basenotes and I think the SAs at Lucky Scent quite enjoyed it. But they are more knowledgeable than most frag SAs imo. Another group sniff is coming up at another location and we'll see how that goes.
    Lucky Scent, to say the least, is not just any store selling perfumes. In fact, I am sure they make a bundle off perfume nuts like us, and the SAs at Scent Bar meet the level of the customers' expertise! LOL! I am impressed when one can discourse on the products and answer questions intelligently rather than a blank stare.

Lucky Scent and the brick and mortar store are excellent in customer service.

I refer to the expertise of *most* SAs such as one finds at "some* department stores and some Sephora stores. I laud the SA selling scent who knows his/her product.
    Last edited by Primrose; 17th February 2010 at 05:48 PM.

oh ya, I often get this, followed by "Excuse me, that one you trying is for guys."

In my experience, the SAs are the ones who think I'm asking them irritating questions...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...bluewillow.gif"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift;
    that's why they call it the present."

I understand they're just doing their job. But the more experienced SAs will know when to butt in with recommendations and when to step aside. I'm still waiting for an SA to point a fragrance newbie to www.basenotes.net.

haha! You got a point there!
    Last edited by PerfumeGoddess; 18th February 2010 at 04:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still waiting for an SA to point a fragrance newbie to www.basenotes.net.
    No joke, I've directed a few SA's here myself actually. I start listing off notes and they look at me like "huh?", so I used to ask them if they know basenotes, but then they started looking for a brochure on the frag, so now I tell them there's a big online community of fragrance lovers and a huge directory with reviews... if they're still interested I keep talking, otherwise I just shrug my shoulders, smell the strip, and walk away to pretend to go try smell something else.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 18th February 2010 at 04:59 PM.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

I once had a real nice SA though, who just sprayed some on the card for me and let me test it, no questions, nothing, she didn't said any crap that I already knew (like it's FRESH or it's for summer)

But like you, I hate those stupid questions like ''What kind of scents are you looking for?''

Should we expect SA at perfume counters to have general knowledge like knowing niche perfumers like Malle, Kilian, Nasomatto etc ? I get a blank stare and get told " never heard of "em", when i ask for them......
    Last edited by mattie; 18th February 2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

I once had a bottle of Calandre grabbed out of my hand and was told rather abruptly "that's for women!"

On the whole I don't find SAs a problem, but I usually tell them I'm just looking and they leave me alone. Usually, I just make a beeline for the bottle I am interested in before the SA spots me anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

Me too. But that will never happen, because they're usually selling off a "push list."

I don't want to be rude, and I can't stand hovering, so I avoid perfume counters.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Quote Originally Posted by sean-dt View Post
    I once had a bottle of Calandre grabbed out of my hand and was told rather abruptly "that's for women!"

Now, that's rude! It's no longer customer service..

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeGoddess View Post
    Now, that's rude! It's no longer customer service..
    nah its normal here. While i was asking to test Un Apres Jardin de Mousson, the SA said "no thats for women!" and pushed me to try the prada scents instead.

i had to go to another counter where the SA would be less dumb.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asingleman View Post
    Me too!

I always get lessons like "perfume always smells different from person to person", "perfume smells slightly different on paper than on skin", "you should never try more than three scents at a time" AND the most common: "perfume changes when its been on your skin for a while, so it wont smell just the same as when you first applied it. Keep that in mind, please!"

I must look completely lost when entering a perfume store...
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan