Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default does Basenotes have the power?? Yes it does!!

There's been so much discussion about limited releases such as Creed Windsor and Aramis Havana that it's occurred to me that Basenotes is, I'm sure, such an influential site that surely if we pulled together and contacted the relevant Houses to ask for a greater distribution of these and possibly other limited and hard to get frags we might achieve something?? What do you all think?? Is it something we could achieve?? I say yes!

Default Re: does Basenotes have the power?? Yes it does!!

I used to be optimistic about similar prospects, but not so anymore.

It would be difficult to pull together 100 basenoters to lobby strongly for anything, so I don't see it as likely affecting a house of any size.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 27th January 2010 at 06:47 PM.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Blog Entries

I'm with you in spirit.
    Windsor should've been an addition to the permanent collection.
    But perhaps Creed has even better green/floral/woody scent to add to the permanent collection!?
    Haven't tried the re-issue of Havana.

Dependent

Well Havana has been re-issued. Maybe the folks at Aramis have been lurking on BN.

As for your proposition, I would definitely be in favor! I'd so much love to see stuff like Punjab, Patou Pour Homme and various others hit the counters!

How do you think we could actually go about this?
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Why not? And I mean it in all honesty, without any ironic or any "conspiracy theory"-approach, that the
    marketing/sales/distribution/public relation staff of at least part of major frag retailers may have employees on their payroll solely for the purpose of observing, centralizing and assessing the consumer behavior of us Basenoters. This, knowing full well that this data might lead to profits both regarding their currently regular business activity including frags still in production, as well as more individual, customized and riskier businessactivity involving niche/limited-edition or discontinued/vintage formulations

Blog Entries

Best way to influence the industry lurkers is to be truthful, compelling, and of equally discriminating taste in your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I'm with you in spirit.
    Windsor should've been an addition to the permanent collection.
    But perhaps Creed has even better green/floral/woody scent to add to the permanent collection!?
    Haven't tried the re-issue of Havana.
    Dont forget ZZtops interview with Erwin Creed a while back. in it he states that they know that people are requesting Feuille Verte to come back and that he and Olivier were discussing bringing something similar to the permanent collection so I wouldn't doubt the constant discussions and requests have pushed them to make or release something like Feuille Verte in the next year or two. We will have to cross our fingers and see.

I wouldn't give up hope on Windsor, Creed needs a new hit and this one could surely cross over like the Millésimes did. But perhaps it's just too expensive to produce? I'd certainly consider buying a 2.5 oz. bottle of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I wouldn't give up hope on Windsor, Creed needs a new hit and this one could surely cross over like the Millésimes did. But perhaps it's just too expensive to produce? I'd certainly consider buying a 2.5 oz. bottle of it.
    I think the rose note would likely suffer if it was reintroduced as a less expensive millesime, but a combo synth/natural rose with enough old-cheap-labdanum-resin, and enough ionones/etc could help that.

The one facet on Windsor which could be improved/extended with cheaper synthetics is the top.
    On skin, Windsor turns into rose/cedar quickly, the topnotes simply don't last like the very similar top-mid-notes of Prelude to Love. It's a shame, as applying on fabric allows this beautifully fresh top end to shine as it should.

And yes, a little extra millesime-crossover tonka/ambergris under it wouldn't hurt imo.

We, are but a mere drop in the bucket of a fragrance house's concerns. I would venture to say that if you were to e-mail,call, or write a fragrance house, and explain that you, and your business partner's are interested in the prospect of the possibility of perhaps ordering 500,400,300 or whatever case's of a fragrance of your's that has been recently discontinued you might, and I say might get their attention. Beyond that I don't think they give a Rat's ass about our love of any certain fragrance.I could be totally off base here, but this is how I view the business world.You know my view of fragrances, as being witness to my being here.My view's, and the view's of perfume house's differ greatly understandably. Just my $0.02 worth.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

a drop in the bucket is an apt metaphor I'm afraid

I recall reading in the directory that a fragrance was indeed brought back via Basenotes. I can't remember what the heck it was, now.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I recall reading in the directory that a fragrance was indeed brought back via Basenotes. I can't remember what the heck it was, now.
    New West by Aramis maybe?
    But then,all the lights were turned to the newly relaunched Havana...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

The only power we have is Kenzo Power!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by discovolante View Post
    New West by Aramis maybe?
    But then,all the lights were turned to the newly relaunched Havana...
    Amen!We should all send Givenchy a thank you card.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

This is an excellent idea. I would be very happy if greats like patou pour homme, feuille verte and other missing gems are brought back for some of us who missed out in the first place or those who want to purchase bottles again. If it could be organised properly and orderly then I'm all for it.
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 28th January 2010 at 01:03 PM.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Well Hell! If you guys start a petition I'll sure as hell join!!

Bring on the subjugation! Anarchy!! ...Or a nice E-mail.

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Basenotes Plus

Sadly "No it Doesn't" would probably have to be my response.
    I have emalied Procter and Gamble a few times regarding PPH and the replies I had have all been variations of the same theme. ie - "thanks for the enquiry but basically we are not interested and won't be doing anything"
    Scentsitivity's skepticism on how many people we could drum up is also likely to be another factor. I would be more than happy to participate myself but fear it would ultimately be a lost cause.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 28th January 2010 at 11:36 AM.

I'd like to think it would work, but like Jon Rodgers I fear it wouldn't. Something, anything, needs to be done about the lack of UK distribution for the Havana re-release - despite three e-mails, I've had nothing back from Estee Lauder to explain. It seems crazy to me that this is the one Aramis scent that people want most, yet it seems to be the one which is most difficult to get. Crazy.

hmm maybe we could get guerlain to revive djedi for good...

I have often wondered if folks at perfume houses peruse these forums and relay messages to the powers that be.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Quote Originally Posted by wooznib View Post
    I have often wondered if folks at perfume houses peruse these forums and relay messages to the powers that be.
    maybe when they're really cash strapped i guess, that their marketing ppl will take a peekie or two..

Lightbulb Re: does Basenotes have the power?? Yes it does!!

you guy's on here are strange fruit. everything physical on this planet has a beginning & ending. you cant always get what you want, when you want it, in unlimited quantity. hense limited edition, some things are better in limited numbers. it makes them increase & hold their value. so get while the getting is good, & feel special that you possessed "it".
    instead of trying to hold on for dear life forever! its just material possessions people!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: does Basenotes have the power?? Yes it does!!

I applaud scentsableguy's suggestion. This subject has been raised before and always with the same doom and gloom fear of inevitable failure. Here in the U.S. has so much changed that we do not remember how extraordinary and revolutionary the concept of the creation of this nation was. While many said it could not be done more said it could and made it happen. It appears that this concept becomes more rare in society every year. Complacency and fear would make it easy pick'ns for corporations, fragrance or otherwise, to dictate to us. The quality of the deed is largely in the attempt, born out of passion. So, I applaud you scentsableguy and would gladly join in a good faith on the ramparts of an effort for consumer advocacy. Let the revolution begin here. A fellow Base Noter who has worked in the industry and knows the ins and outs would likely make a good point person.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 28th January 2010 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I applaud scentsableguy's suggestion. This subject has been raised before and always with the same doom and gloom fear of inevitable failure. Here in the U.S. has so much changed that we do not remember how extraordinary and revolutionary the concept of the creation of this nation was. While many said it could not be done more said it could and made it happen. It appears that this concept becomes more rare in society every year. Complacency and fear would make it easy pick'ns for corporations, fragrance or otherwise, to dictate to us. The quality of the deed is largely in the attempt, born out of passion. So, I applaud you scentsableguy and would gladly join in a good faith on the ramparts of an effort for consumer advocacy. Let the revolution begin here. A fellow Base Noter who has worked in the industry and knows the ins and outs would likely make a good point person.
    N Tesla..thank you for those great words...
    Having read all the various replies and re reading my original post (which on reflection I don't think I actually worded very well...)
    My concept would be not that various Basenoters themselves would write/email/call etc the Houses, rather that Basenotes ITSELF would perhaps write an "open letter"which would be posted here, and perhaps taken up by others-to the fragrance houses. If they thought the fragrance community en masse was insisting upon some sort of change to their distribution policies, it might, just MIGHT give them pause for thought? I guess though, that would be up to Grant to decide upon however.....
    Last edited by scentsableguy; 28th January 2010 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
    ............ everything physical on this planet has a beginning & ending. you cant always get what you want, when you want it, in unlimited quantity. hense limited edition, some things are better in limited numbers. it makes them increase & hold their value. so get while the getting is good, & feel special that you possessed "it".instead of trying to hold on for dear life forever!............

you guy's on here are strange fruit. everything physical on this planet has a beginning & ending. you cant always get what you want, when you want it, in unlimited quantity. hense limited edition, some things are better in limited numbers. it makes them increase & hold their value. so get while the getting is good, & feel special that you possessed "it".
    instead of trying to hold on for dear life forever! its just material possessions people!
    My sentiments (nearly) exactly.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Blog Entries

Art is the physical manifestation of human creativity which is intellectual. To say that art and intellect has a beginning and an end and that no physical representation should continue for future generations to enjoy is akin to not preserving the Mona Lisa for future generations. Fragrance is an artistic medium using chemical, natural and synthetic, substances to paint an olfactory work of art. Fragrance, by it's nature is a consumed art form, thus the need for replenishment in it's precise formula. There is good art and great art. While fragrance formulas are the property of those who own them, isn't it good business sense to please your patrons by responding to their desires? The preservation of great art , which takes on a life of it's own, deserves preservation. When we are cold and in our graves what have we left for those who come after us but the best of us, our art, law and body of learning. The resurrection of Havana is a perfect example of the industry responding it it's patrons and likely in part to the discussions here on Base Notes.

Your posts quote.

"you guy's on here are strange fruit. everything physical on this planet has a beginning & ending. you cant always get what you want, when you want it, in unlimited quantity. hense limited edition, some things are better in limited numbers. it makes them increase & hold their value. so get while the getting is good, & feel special that you possessed "it".
    instead of trying to hold on for dear life forever! its just material possessions people!"

Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 29th January 2010 at 04:23 AM.

Dependent

You have a point. BUT there are some stuff that I want to try before I die, and that I may NEVER ever get to because of limited supply and/or excessive hoarding. Yes they are material possessions, the bottle, the juice inside. So is that lunch-box that holds my daily need for sandwiches. I could just survive on Manna each day, but I PREFER to have sandwiches.

You do realise this is a fragrance forum, where passion for, and excitement about scents attainable or not, isn't all that STRANGE.

If fragrance were a mere "material possession" to me, I think I would have stopped this obsession a long time ago. Maybe in future, BUT NOT anytime soon.

Last edited by MFJ; 29th January 2010 at 06:43 AM.
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Art is the physical manifestation of human creativity which is intellectual. To say that art and intellect has a beginning and an end and that no physical representation should continue for future generations to enjoy is akin to not preserving the Mona Lisa for future generations. Fragrance is an artistic medium using chemical, natural and synthetic, substances to paint an olfactory work of art. Fragrance, by it's nature is a consumed art form, thus the need for replenishment in it's precise formula. There is good art and great art. While fragrance formulas are the property of those who own them, isn't it good business sense to please your patrons by responding to their desires? The preservation of great art , which takes on a life of it's own, deserves preservation. When we are cold and in our graves what have we left for those who come after us but the best of us, our art, law and body of learning. The resurrection of Havana is a perfect example of the industry responding it it's patrons and likely in part to the discussions here on Base Notes.
    Any claim that perfume is actually an art form is highly debatable, as I have previously argued in other threads. Perfume may the the product of the creative mind but that does not automatically give it the status of "art." Likewise perfume may produce an aesthetic experience but that is not sufficient for it to be called "art." Even together, these two conditions are not sufficient for perfume to be regarded as art.

Furthermore even if it could be argued that perfume is art then your analogy between fragrance and the Mona Lisa is faulty. The differences between the Mona Lisa and perfume are so vast (for instance, one is a singular, irreproducible work vs while the other is a created en masse for public consumption) that any claim made of one cannot be made of the other.
    Last edited by surreality; 30th January 2010 at 02:13 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant