Code of Conduct

Default Smelled the new Balenciaga today!

The one with Charlotte Gainsbourg in the ads. Neiman's had a tester but no stock in yet. Very impressed with the bottle and box - a return to old-style elegance, no flash, a bit severe in its black and white graphics, but very lovely.

The scent smelled from the bottle and on a test strip was a little violet-heavy for me, but there was a certain something about it that made me test it on skin as well. I have it on my arm right now. The opening was indeed violets, but green, rain-washed violets - no pastilles or confections. After a few minutes it got very tiny and shy on me, and I was discouraged. But I should have known better - 20 minutes later I sniffed again and was floored. The violet/orris notes are more subdued, the green has blossomed and its sharp little points have ripened into curves. There's a slight, teasing, "buttery" note in here - what could it be? Green butter, like sorrel cooked down soft and delicious. I'm going to be reaching for my wallet as soon as bottles are circulating.

Default Re: Smelled the new Balenciaga today!

Thanks for the review. This will immediately go in my "to try" list.
    Evenstar

Hillaire

Oh, My!
    Thanks for that description. Is the fragrance also a bit of a re-visiting of the past? Or just the bottle?

I cannot wait, this is possibly my favorite line! Do we know when it will be in stock, officially, before I run to Nieman's!?

(hehe! so even on BN there are at least a few people influenced by advertisement.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Oh, My!
    Thanks for that description. Is the fragrance also a bit of a re-visiting of the past? Or just the bottle?

I cannot wait, this is possibly my favorite line! Do we know when it will be in stock, officially, before I run to Nieman's!?
    The fragrance does have more in common with classic perfumery than most new releases. In fact, it has echos of the classic Balenciagas. I think if you are a Le Dix lover, you might fall hard for this one. Also, I get the feeling that lovers of "1000" by Patou could get a charge too - it's not as dark and deep as 1000, but definitely has a kinship.

Wow. Thanks for the preview. This sounds wonderful. If it has sprung from the loins of classic perfumery, then it may be right up my alley. Something to look forward to. Great preview, BTW.

Basenotes Institution

Joining the club here - adding it to my' to try 'list.............
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Thanks, all.

My contact at NM said that she expects an in-store shipment sometime next week. Fortunately for me, though not fortunate for my weeping wallet, I work close enough to the local Neiman's that a lunchtime walk-through is quite do-able. Will report back next week.

Note on longevity - that little sample spritz on my arm lasted a good five hours and there were faint traces when I checked in the middle of the night (I'm not the only one, am I, who sniffs their wrist/arm when stumbling to the commode at 3:00 a.m.?).
    Last edited by Jardanel; 29th January 2010 at 03:42 PM.

I am so excited about this. I hope it will not be a letdown, oh I hope it will live up to my expectations. I will have to call Neimans and find out when it will be there. Oh so excited.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    The fragrance does have more in common with classic perfumery than most new releases. In fact, it has echos of the classic Balenciagas. I think if you are a Le Dix lover, you might fall hard for this one. Also, I get the feeling that lovers of "1000" by Patou could get a charge too - it's not as dark and deep as 1000, but definitely has a kinship.
    WOW, Thank you, my heart is beating a little faster. I was hoping it was an aldehydic floral, as Cialenga and Michelle as well as Le Dix are such faves. In fact Cialenga is already 1000-esque to my nose. I can't wait.

Oh, cripes. If this ranks alongside Le Dix and 1000, then I am certain I will love this!

Limited Edition at Harvey Nichols here, for the moment ... Can't wait for it to hit the provinces.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Sounds lovely--thanks for the heads up!
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    (I'm not the only one, am I, who sniffs their wrist/arm when stumbling to the commode at 3:00 a.m.?).
    Nope!

Hillaire

Oh, I went to my Niemans for a preview, and they informed me that since they are not a "large" store, they won't be carrying it!! SOB!!
    So the perfumed court it will be!

OK, you've made me want to try this. I love Le Dix, so will probably love this one, too.

Basenotes Institution

Has anyone smelled this?

The NYT blog The Moment ran a short article about the scent here: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...teractive.html

I tried it last month in the Frankfurt Airport Duty Free shop, I was soooo surprised and suspicious that I saw it there, especially before it even made it into the high-end US stores. That said, I thought it smelled like a bland, Sephora ready fragrance. I really wanted to like it, Nicolas Ghesquière is such an innovative force in the fashion world, I was hoping for the equivalent of Hedi Slimane's influence on Dior Homme, but I felt it was just another D&G Light Blue-type thingy. Beyond its violet note, it doesn't hold a candle to Le Dix.
    I hope I can be proved wrong, but I think the formula is a real bird song: cheap, cheap, cheap.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 4th March 2010 at 01:56 PM.

Sur la Plage

I tried it at Neimans. I was not impressed with it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I tried it when StylinLA and I went to Neiman's a couple weeks ago. I thought it was ok--I think it needs some space because it is too subtle to be judged after a 3-hour sniffing blitz (which is about where I was that day). On first impression, though, I thought Tom Ford's Violet Noir had more promise. Balenciaga Paris has a Miss Dior Cherie vibe to me...

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for the link Mike !

I love the bottle and I would love to try this out...........thank goodness there is no pink pepper or fruit in sight..............

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Thanks for the link Mike !

I love the bottle and I would love to try this out...........thank goodness there is no pink pepper or fruit in sight..............
    Oh there's fruit alright! I tried it in London and I got a lot a pretty big synthetic fruit accord...not as big as some recent designer releases, but still

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Oh there's fruit alright! I tried it in London and I got a lot a pretty big synthetic fruit accord...not as big as some recent designer releases, but still
    Oh ! Oh well- fruit is not as bad as the ubiquitous pink pepper ...............

Sniffed it on Saturday and got samples yesterday.
    It is bland but harmless. Not sure if describing a fragrance as harmless is classed as an insult? LOL Did did not grab me but it also did not make me want to scrub it off. Nice but harmless.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Sniffed it on Saturday and got samples yesterday.
    It is bland but harmless. Not sure if describing a fragrance as harmless is classed as an insult? LOL Did did not grab me but it also did not make me want to scrub it off. Nice but harmless.
    Oh dear...' harmless' is not 'wow material ' ....it's supposed to be a violet chypre - what do you think,Donna ? Does it live up to that and does it last ?

'

I was underwhelmed. It is pretty, but really it doesn't even begin to compare to Le Dix. Even the violet note is somewaht 'meh', to my mind. It's fair to say that the bottle is beautiful, and this is an elegant and very pleasant scent. But I'd sooner see Balenciaga bring Le Dix back to the public's consciousness than them lauch this somewhat unremarkable novelty ...
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Plus

Scent, this doen't have any fruit notes listed in it at all. From the Balenciaga website: "A Chypre Violet with the green, fresh signature of the flower and its leaves, blender into a precious harmony of pure woods •" Of course everyone's nose is different.

OsMoz has the note pyramid listed too, no fruit at all. Notes are: "top notes Pepper, Green Notes, heart note Violet, Floral Notes
    base note, Woodsy Notes,, Powdery Notes, Musks" from OsMoz website.

I tried this on my skin and loved it. It's soft and sophisticated but reasserts itself long after application. A very sophisticated scent along the same ilk of Prada Infusion d'Iris. A step up for Id'I, in my opinion. I don't know, however if it's different enough for me to own both. I need to try it again.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Scent, this doen't have any fruit notes listed in it at all. From the Balenciaga website: "A Chypre Violet with the green, fresh signature of the flower and its leaves, blender into a precious harmony of pure woods •" Of course everyone's nose is different.

OsMoz has the note pyramid listed too, no fruit at all. Notes are: "top notes Pepper, Green Notes, heart note Violet, Floral Notes
    base note, Woodsy Notes,, Powdery Notes, Musks" from OsMoz website.

I tried this on my skin and loved it. It's soft and sophisticated but reasserts itself long after application. A very sophisticated scent along the same ilk of Prada Infusion d'Iris. A step up for Id'I, in my opinion. I don't know, however if it's different enough for me to own both. I need to try it again.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it RHM ! I guess I'm very sensitive to fruit as it the tiniest bit of fruit is ready to ruin a fragrance altogether for me. But after the initial "generic" (read Prada) fruity blast, it did somehow veer off into the mildly acceptable. I guess all the hype that it's a homage to Le Dix and whatnot, is what caused my expectactions to soar.

Basenotes Plus

@Scent...I know what you mean. I become scentitized to a particular note sometimes and it seems like I smell it everywhere. Fruity notes, especially peach (but not white peach for some reason) really makes me ....well.....not so good.

I like this Ballenciaga. The price point sure is nice. But I need to do a side by side testing with the Prada Infusion d'Iris to see if I "need" to add it to my collection for the Spring.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Eleanore

I ordered a bottle of this from Holt Renfrew and they said that I could return it if I didn't like it. I returned it. It is a hard fragrance to hate because there's nothing there. Very bland and flat. A great dissapointment after all the hoopla in the fashion magazines.

Oh dear...' harmless' is not 'wow material ' ....it's supposed to be a violet chypre - what do you think,Donna ? Does it live up to that and does it last ?

'
    OK I actually gave it a full try last night. I can see the connection to Infusion d'Iris which I own. But then add sweet, sweet, sweet violets vamped up on steroids in and that is Balenciga. It took a good 30 minutes plus for the violet to soften down a little. Strangely it still was not a scrubber with all the sweetness. I am going to add Pretty in with the harmless now.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

Pretty harmless or pretty and harmless ,Donna ?

Thanks for the info,Donna . I love violets and I will go ahead and try this when I get home ....

One thing I will say in favour of this scent is its longevity: while a 'light' scent (to my nose), it goes on and on, and has the very enjoyable characteristic of even seeming to become a little stronger as it progresses.

Still sticking to my Le Dix, though.

Pretty harmless or pretty and harmless ,Donna ?

Thanks for the info,Donna . I love violets and I will go ahead and try this when I get home ....
    Pretty and harmless. Doubt you will offend anyone wearing it it doesn't have the power to have people complain about what you are wearing.
    DONNA

I have to remind myself that, besides Le Dix, Balenciaga hasn't every really been a profound house for perfumes, has it?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Pretty and harmless. Doubt you will offend anyone wearing it it doesn't have the power to have people complain about what you are wearing.
    Hmmm..... I do wonder if they put that in many fragrance briefs these days - " make sure it doesn't overpower or offend people nearby "
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 5th March 2010 at 10:10 PM.

Interesting! I will try this, though I think that Ormonde Woman is probably my violet of choice.

I think Cristobal is also good.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I have to remind myself that, besides Le Dix, Balenciaga hasn't every really been a profound house for perfumes, has it?
    I disagree so much! In fact, of all the oldies, I think Le Dix is the most feeble. Cialenga was as good as Calandre. Quadrille! Oh my a plummy wonder, better than Femme Rochas by far!
    Prelude was an absolutely perfect Oriental and has a perfect warm amber heart!
    Cristobal was one of my favorite ever Orientals, so deep and heady!
    Rumba is an all time great, too.
    And I even enjoy the fruity musky ambery sex appeal of the Talismans!