Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Pino Silvestre Information !

It's hard to believe this one does not have ANY Pine at all

It is amazing, especially since there is the pine-dominant name and pinecone bottle shape. It seems odd to me that there is no pine in it, but I have written to the company and they assure me that the fragrance pyramid is exactly as they describe it. For some reason, the LACK of pine does not seem to strike them as odd. (I would have tossed a molecule of pine in it, just to put it in the pyramid list...)
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I agree that this is amazing.
    The pamphlet lists "twelve natural oils that compose Pino Silvestre."
    Bergmot, Lemon, Bigarade (3)
    Lavender, Thyme, Clary Sage, Juniper, Clove (5)
    Moss, Cedar, Sandalwood, Amber (4)

Well, the bottle is a pine cone, and the impression is of pine. So props to them for the way they've done that.
    I suppose that the juniper and lavender are key elements for that. They have a resinous, pine-y aspect.
    After all, there aren't any pine forests near Venice (where the scent is made)!
    Perhaps it's "memory of..." or "Imagining Pine"... I can see how the ingredients could conjure up a pine-like impression. (Much like Yatagan convinces me I'm back on the high plains of Colorado wandering through sage and juniper and rabbitbrush.) Interesting.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Perhaps it's "memory of..." or "Imagining Pine"... I can see how the ingredients could conjure up a pine-like impression. (Much like Yatagan convinces me I'm back on the high plains of Colorado wandering through sage and juniper and rabbitbrush.) Interesting.
    Whether it resembles pine or is actual pine, it's all the same for me. Though I was surprised to learn that there was no pine in Pino, it has not prevented me from continuing to love this scent. As long as my brain thinks it's smelling pine, I'm a happy guy.

That press kit is fantastic! Love all of the psychological and philosophical sentiments. They've really meditated a lot on Pino-Silvestre. I'm enjoying my first wearing right now.

Thanks for this odysseusm !
    I have always been a big fan of Pino Sylvestre. For many years it was a staple winter favourite of mine in Berlin, where the temperature can plummet to minus 20 centigrade. This fragrance kept me warm during these unbearable temeratures and kept my spirits up.
    Interestingly, now that I live in the south of France I get to visit Italy a lot, (an hour's drive away). In Italy there are now many alternatives from this company ~ all in the same pine cone shaped bottle. They are all excellent. Among them a fresh cotton variant and another "talco" variant, which smells like high class talcum powder/ baby powder.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

Thanks for this odysseusm !
    I have always been a big fan of Pino Sylvestre. For many years it was a staple winter favourite of mine in Berlin, where the temperature can plummet to minus 20 centigrade. This fragrance kept me warm during these unbearable temeratures and kept my spirits up.
    Interestingly, now that I live in the south of France I get to visit Italy a lot, (an hour's drive away). In Italy there are now many alternatives from this company ~ all in the same pine cone shaped bottle. They are all excellent. Among them a fresh cotton variant and another "talco" variant, which smells like high class talcum powder/ baby powder.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

Glad to see a revival of this thread. Those in Europe should watch for "Pine Gems" by Pino, reportedly a high-quality flanker to the basic scent. I'd love to try it but it is simply not distributed, or even known, in North America.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Glad to see a revival of this thread. Those in Europe should watch for "Pine Gems" by Pino, reportedly a high-quality flanker to the basic scent. I'd love to try it but it is simply not distributed, or even known, in North America.
    I'll look out for Pine Gems ~ and if I get it I will send you a sample.

I have the pine gems version. Similar to the basic, but with more of a balsamic-medicinal coniferous note. It is actually not much more expensive than the basic one.

cacio

I generally dislike bumping old posts but I enjoyed reading the pamphlet.

Having just acquired a bottle I detect no pine at all - rather it invokes a lot of memories, probably my (mostly Italian) uncles wearing this.

Hadn't seen this thread previously. Also enjoyed reading the pamphlet.

(3011)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I am Italian and I have always thought of Pino Silvestre as one of the cheapest and poorest shower/bath/"fragrances" lines ever. You mainly see their products in street markets, Chinese emporiums and cheap supermarkets. However the fact that this brand is discussed here intrigued me, it is ages I do not use their products - my parents (which are exactly the target I have always though this kind of products was addressed to - respectable suburban lower class, more interested in "the cheaper" product rather than "the better") use to buy them at the supermarket when I was a child. I'll buy something from this line soon.
    Currently wearing: Passion Boisée by Frapin

Blog Entries

Everybody know is this frag still available

As colin was saying, still very available in italy. In the US, it's not distributed in dept stores in the US, but I do see it now and then. And it's still very cheap.

cacio

Online discounters have it still, and sometimes you can get the EDT/Shower gel set for quite cheap. This is one of my favorite cheapies, well worth the $12 or so it costs to pick up.