Code of Conduct

Default Pino Silvestre Information !

Hello to all Coneheads and others interested in pine scents, in particular Pino Silvestre .
    I've received a nice press kit from Mr. Massimo Vidal, the Managing Director of Mavive (the holding company of PS). It is a 4-page colour pdf file, with many interesting facts on the philosophy and psychology behind the scent's design. I've put this in as an attachment to this thread. (Thanks to Grant for his assistance on this.) Enjoy! Let me know what you think.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: Pino Silvestre Information !

How would you compare Sud Est to PS?

Comparing Sud Est to Pino Silvestre is a good question. Its been a while since I've worn Sud Est. I'll do that soon and offer more thoughts. At the moment, I'd say that the herbal emphasis is greater in Sud Est, and the pine emphasis is stronger in Pino. In other words, pine and herbs play off each other in Pino. In Sud Est, the citrus (bergamot), herbs and woods of the drydown strike a chord, but the dominant note is herbal.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Another thought concerns Adidas' Sport Field, which features tomato stem, parsley, and thyme, and sounds like it may be a more "rounded"/"softer" version of Sud Est.

I haven't tried Adidas' Sport Field. I can recommend Sisley's Eau de Campagne, which has tomato leaf and herbal notes. It is excellent.
    odysseusm

I LOVE Pino silvestre. It is probably the best bargain you can find. A truly excellent perfume for less than 20 bucks.

I just don't agree with them when they say that it could be worn by women. I don't think a woman can pull it off.

Absolutely! It delivers well above its price point.
    And our dear senZuality, a lovely lady, would disagree with the men-only assessment. She loves it and wears it.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 29th January 2010 at 01:10 AM.
    odysseusm

That's a really interesting pamphlet, odysseusm. I got more information about Pino from that pamphlet than I have in all of my online research. Thanks for finding a way to deliver this to us in the forum.

What I found interesting, and a tad disappointing, was that the note pyramid from the press kit did not list pine as a note!

If pine is not an ingredient in Pino, then I suppose the perfumer must be commended for creating a wonderful herbal pine smell without actually using pine.
    Last edited by shamu1; 29th January 2010 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    That's a really interesting pamphlet, odysseusm. I got more information about Pino from that pamphlet than I have in all of my online research. Thanks for finding a way to deliver this to us in the forum.
    I am glad you found it helpful, shamu1. I hope others do as well. I agree that that pamphlet contains a lot of information that cannot be found elsewhere, particularly online (until now). The process shows the value of personal connection in information flow (or life, to get philosophical!).
    odysseusm

It was a hit down here but they don't import it anymore since the company was sold. I guess I would have to write to this person in order to ask him to reconsider exportation.

BTW, the actual version has a very strong menthol note that was absent in previous formulations.
    Last edited by Pollux; 30th January 2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Typo

I love good old Pino. My dad used to wear it. It is not obtainable in Croatia for many years now. But I'm gonna obtain it with first signs of warmer weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    How would you compare Sud Est to PS?
    I wanted to have a current assessment of Sud Est to offer. I'm wearing it today.
    SE is a very herbal scent, and in that respect it is similar to Pino, which also is quite herbal.
    SE has very distinct green notes of artemesia (bitter, aromatic, dusky) and bay leaf (herbal, aromatic, slightly soapy).
    In fact, the dominant bay note + spices (coriander, cinnamon) make SE somewhat like a Bay Rum.
    I usually find the clove in Bay Rums to be a little overbearing, so I much prefer this.
    Despite a rosemary note in SE, I don't detect any pine-like elements.
    I think it is reasonable to assume that people who like Pino would like SE. I certainly do.
    odysseusm

What I found interesting, and a tad disappointing, was that the note pyramid from the press kit did not list pine as a note!

If pine is not an ingredient in Pino, then I suppose the perfumer must be commended for creating a wonderful herbal pine smell without actually using pine.
    Yes, I was wondering the same. To my nose, I never got much pine/fir balsam out of it. I think Pino smells more like Bay Rum than anything.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I agree that this is amazing.
    The pamphlet lists "twelve natural oils that compose Pino Silvestre."
    Bergmot, Lemon, Bigarade (3)
    Lavender, Thyme, Clary Sage, Juniper, Clove (5)
    Moss, Cedar, Sandalwood, Amber (4)

Well, the bottle is a pine cone, and the impression is of pine. So props to them for the way they've done that.
    I suppose that the juniper and lavender are key elements for that. They have a resinous, pine-y aspect.
    After all, there aren't any pine forests near Venice (where the scent is made)!
    odysseusm

Whatever is in there, it is great !

Well......OK....I still don't get it, and why ya'll don't get the pronounced bologna accord in PS....LOL...just teasin' :-)
    “Government big enough to supply
    everything you need is big enough
    to take everything you have.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Do you think maybe they just forgot to put the pine note in it? I mean, on the promotional thing.
    Last edited by Billy Budd; 30th January 2010 at 04:21 AM.

If you eat spicy food, I can understand the problem, because I can't wear Gucci PH2 because it reminds me of a tea I drink once in a while. Imagine adding wood and musk to your favorite food! Not very appealing, at least to me. Note: I probably haven't eaten deli slices of any kind in at least 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Budd View Post
    Do you think maybe they just forgot to put the pine note in it? I mean, on the promotional thing.
    I wondered that at first. But I did the math, and the 12 ingredients don't include pine. It is very interesting.
    odysseusm

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Interesting literature, Odysseusm.

I am really amazed that pine itself is not a listed note. One more example of accords of a certain combination of notes evoking a different note entirely. Art. In an inexpensive but wonderful frag. Makes one wonder again about the niche thing.............
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

"The whole is more than the sum of its parts." Aristotle, Metaphysica

Gestalt theory maintains, there are experienced objects and relationships that are fundamentally different from mere collections of sensations, parts, or pieces. (courtesy of Answers.com)
    odysseusm

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    "The whole is more than the sum of its parts." Aristotle, Metaphysica

Gestalt theory maintains, there are experienced objects and relationships that are fundamentally different from mere collections of sensations, parts, or pieces. (courtesy of Answers.com)
    Precisely! the fact that the above almost entirely apply to the humble PS increases its esteem in my mind.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I find pine to have a bit of piercing quality, which PS doesn't have, so I wouldn't be surprised if pine isn't in it.

EDIT: I went over to the Estonian site and they have pine needles listed in their pyramid.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 30th January 2010 at 07:51 PM.

I'm not sure if I dreamt this, am making it up or what, but I'm almost 100% certain I once read a long time ago that the reason PS does not contain pine was/is because a lot of people are allergic to it. The reason I remember (or am certain I remember) that is because I myself suffer from a terrible pine allergy (not had a real christmas tree for about 18 years).

That is an interesting suggestion (about pine allergy), great_badir. And as someone who loves pine, I would find a pine allergy to be terrible! I wonder if you like the scent but are allergic; or if you are allergic and also find the scent unpleasant. Also wonder if that allergy extends to other coniferous scents (spruce, fir, cypress, even juniper).
    odysseusm

That is an interesting suggestion (about pine allergy), great_badir. And as someone who loves pine, I would find a pine allergy to be terrible! I wonder if you like the scent but are allergic; or if you are allergic and also find the scent unpleasant. Also wonder if that allergy extends to other coniferous scents (spruce, fir, cypress, even juniper).
    Whether it's true.......I dunno. Like I said, I'm almost 100% sure, but it may just be I've convinced myself over the years - no amount of Googling has confirmed it. I appear to be okay with synthetic pine notes and frags, and even some natural ones where pine is just a note and not the main accord. Not that I've ever tried one where pine IS the main accord, mind. Who knows, I might be completely fine with a pine (/rhymes) frag and am just allergic to the real thing.

Anywho - nope, I love the smell of pine, it's just not one I've ventured into very much. Spruce and fir yes, cypress and juniper no.

Oh well, it seems to me like a bit of a desperate PR attempt to bring an old low-end men's fragrance in line with trends (ecology, naturalness). Don't get me wrong, I actually like good ole PS (got mine at the local perfumery for 5 Euros), but I don't think anybody but oldtimers and frag-nuts take it seriously - if they even know it (it's a bit hard with the flacon as it is. I mean, I can imagine other reasons than "naturalness" why a women may buy this ). As to the 12 ingredients - kind of a foundational myth, I suppose, but there's obviously no real "amber(gris?)" or "sandalwood" in there, but various synthetic components, though the herbal components do come across very authentically. It does smell more natural (simpler, and better) than the bulk of current designer stuff. It's a nice summer complement to the wintery Epicea. I find it alot greener and sapier than the Macchia-like, dry-herbal Sud-Est, btw. Green forest vs. sunburnt shrubbery. It really deserves a smarter bottle.I'm sure you could sell it as a $180 neo-niche under some "green" "back-to-nature" concept if you threw in some fancy "rainforest" notes bla bla...
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Oh well, it seems to me like a bit of a desperate PR attempt to bring an old low-end men's fragrance in line with trends (ecology, naturalness). Don't get me wrong, I actually like good ole PS ...
    And You are right, the flacon is bit of kitsch. The sprayer itself has an awesome, great, solid technique, well done. But imagine the finger is not right in line with the package - it doesn't hurt. But, the imagination is unavoidable it could! The crude naturalism with a - potentially, visionary - malfunction asks for a redesign. To much plastic in central positions too.

The fragrance is quite stark. My nose is easily fatigued by PS, it's ever so hard an the edge to be tiresome. But then it is invigorating again. Like coffee to cure less sleep than would have been healthy. Nevertheless, the Pine in it keeps me curious. Once summer comes in here in North/Western Europe I'm eager to give it a try with my 'chemistry'. The morning will see Borsar Acqua Classica with bergamote and a very subdued pine. Then when temperature rises we'll see (smell, or not!) what PS could do for me.

The PR is quite revealing on the last page. Why do people wear fragrance - nice read!

It's hard to believe this one does not have ANY Pine at all

It is amazing, especially since there is the pine-dominant name and pinecone bottle shape. It seems odd to me that there is no pine in it, but I have written to the company and they assure me that the fragrance pyramid is exactly as they describe it. For some reason, the LACK of pine does not seem to strike them as odd. (I would have tossed a molecule of pine in it, just to put it in the pyramid list...)
    odysseusm

I agree that this is amazing.
    The pamphlet lists "twelve natural oils that compose Pino Silvestre."
    Bergmot, Lemon, Bigarade (3)
    Lavender, Thyme, Clary Sage, Juniper, Clove (5)
    Moss, Cedar, Sandalwood, Amber (4)

Well, the bottle is a pine cone, and the impression is of pine. So props to them for the way they've done that.
    I suppose that the juniper and lavender are key elements for that. They have a resinous, pine-y aspect.
    After all, there aren't any pine forests near Venice (where the scent is made)!
    Perhaps it's "memory of..." or "Imagining Pine"... I can see how the ingredients could conjure up a pine-like impression. (Much like Yatagan convinces me I'm back on the high plains of Colorado wandering through sage and juniper and rabbitbrush.) Interesting.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Perhaps it's "memory of..." or "Imagining Pine"... I can see how the ingredients could conjure up a pine-like impression. (Much like Yatagan convinces me I'm back on the high plains of Colorado wandering through sage and juniper and rabbitbrush.) Interesting.
    Whether it resembles pine or is actual pine, it's all the same for me. Though I was surprised to learn that there was no pine in Pino, it has not prevented me from continuing to love this scent. As long as my brain thinks it's smelling pine, I'm a happy guy.

That press kit is fantastic! Love all of the psychological and philosophical sentiments. They've really meditated a lot on Pino-Silvestre. I'm enjoying my first wearing right now.

Thanks for this odysseusm !
    I have always been a big fan of Pino Sylvestre. For many years it was a staple winter favourite of mine in Berlin, where the temperature can plummet to minus 20 centigrade. This fragrance kept me warm during these unbearable temeratures and kept my spirits up.
    Interestingly, now that I live in the south of France I get to visit Italy a lot, (an hour's drive away). In Italy there are now many alternatives from this company ~ all in the same pine cone shaped bottle. They are all excellent. Among them a fresh cotton variant and another "talco" variant, which smells like high class talcum powder/ baby powder.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Thanks for this odysseusm !
    I have always been a big fan of Pino Sylvestre. For many years it was a staple winter favourite of mine in Berlin, where the temperature can plummet to minus 20 centigrade. This fragrance kept me warm during these unbearable temeratures and kept my spirits up.
    Interestingly, now that I live in the south of France I get to visit Italy a lot, (an hour's drive away). In Italy there are now many alternatives from this company ~ all in the same pine cone shaped bottle. They are all excellent. Among them a fresh cotton variant and another "talco" variant, which smells like high class talcum powder/ baby powder.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Glad to see a revival of this thread. Those in Europe should watch for "Pine Gems" by Pino, reportedly a high-quality flanker to the basic scent. I'd love to try it but it is simply not distributed, or even known, in North America.
    odysseusm

Glad to see a revival of this thread. Those in Europe should watch for "Pine Gems" by Pino, reportedly a high-quality flanker to the basic scent. I'd love to try it but it is simply not distributed, or even known, in North America.
    I'll look out for Pine Gems ~ and if I get it I will send you a sample.

I have the pine gems version. Similar to the basic, but with more of a balsamic-medicinal coniferous note. It is actually not much more expensive than the basic one.

cacio

I generally dislike bumping old posts but I enjoyed reading the pamphlet.

Having just acquired a bottle I detect no pine at all - rather it invokes a lot of memories, probably my (mostly Italian) uncles wearing this.

Hadn't seen this thread previously. Also enjoyed reading the pamphlet.

(3011)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I am Italian and I have always thought of Pino Silvestre as one of the cheapest and poorest shower/bath/"fragrances" lines ever. You mainly see their products in street markets, Chinese emporiums and cheap supermarkets. However the fact that this brand is discussed here intrigued me, it is ages I do not use their products - my parents (which are exactly the target I have always though this kind of products was addressed to - respectable suburban lower class, more interested in "the cheaper" product rather than "the better") use to buy them at the supermarket when I was a child. I'll buy something from this line soon.

Everybody know is this frag still available

As colin was saying, still very available in italy. In the US, it's not distributed in dept stores in the US, but I do see it now and then. And it's still very cheap.

cacio

Online discounters have it still, and sometimes you can get the EDT/Shower gel set for quite cheap. This is one of my favorite cheapies, well worth the $12 or so it costs to pick up.