Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amber recs please

I am looking to explore some more amber-prominent scents, having recently fallen for Attrape Coeur - excellent timing, I know. In particular, I want rich, sweetish and not powdery. So far I have tried:

LOVE
    Amber Sultan (but this is drier and more complex than I am seeking)
    Calamity J
    Ambre Narguile
    Vintage Youth Dew

DONT LIKE
    Youth Dew Amber Nude
    Amber Fetische
    L'Artisan's Amber & Amber Extreme
    Prada Tendre Ambre
    Last edited by hilaryjane; 29th January 2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: typo

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Amber recs please

Strip by Agent Provacateur
    Amber Absolute by Tom Ford
    Amber Fetiche by Annick Goutal

To name a few...

Pd'Empire's Ambre Russe fits your description very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Seconding both Ambre Russe and Amber Absolute. Adding Histoires de Parfum Amber 114 ( similar to Ambre Sultan, but much drier, softer, and smoother to my nose ).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Pd'Empire's Ambre Russe fits your description very well.
    I forgot to add this one. I hated it until the head and heart notes had passed. I adored the drydown. It did evolve into exactly what I was looking for but I don't think I could live with the beginning !

Yves Rocher Voile d'Ambré & Montale's Blue Amber are a couple that spring to mind

Post Thanks / Like

another vote for Yves Rocher Voile d'Ambré - soft, rich, sweet, but not overly so

L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale, a warm amber with a nice dose animalics thrown in.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Ambre Russe. Have you sampled Ambre Precieux? Very smooth, very lovely.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Post Thanks / Like

Balmain Ambre Gris is lovely. Also try Chanel's Coco (oriental amber) and Dior's Hypnotic Poison (almondy amber), both easily tested at any department store.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

I second Voile d'Ambre, Blue Amber, and Ambre Precieux. I would add Parfumerie Generale's L'Oiseau de Nuit – an unusual and very lovely amber-y fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Adding to the excellent ones already mentioned...Profumum Ambra Aurea.

What would you think about an Amber Patch scent which is a bit softer than Ambre Russe? Reminiscence Patchouli Elixir has an amazing amber base, with chocolately patch on top.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lessa View Post
    Another vote for Ambre Russe. Have you sampled Ambre Precieux? Very smooth, very lovely.
    Have already said why Ambre Russe is a no. I deliberately haven't sampled Ambre Precieux because of the impossibility of finding a bottle. What if I loved it and then couldn't buy it ?!!?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale, a warm amber with a nice dose animalics thrown in.
    I have a decant of this but it's just tooo animalic on me. I smell like I would be arrested for obscene behaviour if I went out of the house

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I second Voile d'Ambre, Blue Amber, and Ambre Precieux. I would add Parfumerie Generale's L'Oiseau de Nuit – an unusual and very lovely amber-y fragrance.
    I will order a sample of Blue Amber then. Going to Les Senteurs today and L'Oiseau de Nuit is one of the few PG's I haven't tried so I'll try that one there.
    Last edited by hilaryjane; 30th January 2010 at 10:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Adding to the excellent ones already mentioned...Profumum Ambra Aurea.

What would you think about an Amber Patch scent which is a bit softer than Ambre Russe? Reminiscence Patchouli Elixir has an amazing amber base, with chocolately patch on top.
    I have sample of Ambra Aurea on the way. I'll have to order one of the Reminiscense too now - it's pased me by because I just assumed it was only Patchoul but it sounds great !

If you have a chance also try Madini's Ambre. I find it very good, although I got several comments about smelling like incense sticks.

Post Thanks / Like

All of my favorite ambers are listed above. If you can get your hands on any of Ava Luxe's ambers, especially Ambre Fonce and Ambre Tibet, consider your amber wardrobe complete.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Washington Tremlett Clove Absolute
    Dior Ambre Nuit
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 30th January 2010 at 03:37 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

I second the Histoires de Parfums Ambre 114 rec. Smoother and not as complex as Ambre Sultan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Washington Tremlett Clove Absolute
    Dior Ambre Nuit
    Well that's annoying - I just missed out on a split of Clove Abolute. I had forgotten about trying the Dior. Octavian's review was wonderful and I think the amber in this is Ambroxan which I love.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I went to Les Senteurs and re-tried Ambre Russe. I decided the top notes didn't bother me so much this time and after spending about an hour in there trying other things decided I loved it and bought a 100ml bottle! Also got a sample of L'Oiseau Night.

I'm still looking for sugggestions though -some geat ones so far - please keep them coming !

3rd YR Voile d'Ambre, also recommend Balmain Ambre Gris.

Great thread! Now I am lemming PG l'Oiseau de Nuit (again lol) and Montale Blue Amber...is the Montale overly masculine?

Post Thanks / Like

Anné Pliska is another one to try. A timeless, cheerful amber, and a classic. Check out Luckyscent, they have cheap samples of niche frags, many of them mentioned here!

(Not affiliated)
    Last edited by musse; 30th January 2010 at 08:04 PM.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by musse View Post
    Anné Pliska is another one to try. A timeless, cheerful amber, and a classic. Check out Luckyscent, they have cheap samples of niche frags, many of them mentioned here!

(Not affiliated)
    Already ordered a sample of this from LS !

Ambra del Nepal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you love ambre then may I suggest you try Le Parfum by Barbara Bui? Warm ambre, incense and heliotrope.

I tried Kiehls Amber oil today and was surprised by how incensy and dark it was. Very nice and straight up amber, but not overly sweet or boring.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Armani Privé Ambre Soie is my own favorite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    If you love ambre then may I suggest you try Le Parfum by Barbara Bui? Warm ambre, incense and heliotrope.
    I don't get so much of the amber in that, more heliotrope, musk and incense. Love it to bits though !

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Great suggestions; I'll add Etro Ambra.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've read good reviews about L’Occitane’s amber. It sounds like a nice, sweet (vanilla) amber that allows the wearer to go straight to the basenotes experience or use as a layering element. Regretfully, I haven't tried it. I see Eau d’Ambre is in stock for the L’Occitane‘s UK site, but out for U.S. Oddly, the copy reads differently for the two sites.

UK: A welcoming Oriental fragrance that marries the sweetness of vanilla with a bouquet of bergamot, freesia and cedar.
    U.S.: A true Mediterranean fragrance. When the sun is slowly setting above the Mediterranean shore, cistus plants fill the air with their delicious ambered perfume. Distilled by perfumers from Grasse, France, these shrubs release a resin with an intense amber aroma - providing strength and sensuality to every fragrance. Amber EDT captivates with its oriental, ambered and woody notes.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I've read good reviews about L’Occitane’s amber. It sounds like a nice, sweet (vanilla) amber that allows the wearer to go straight to the basenotes experience or use as a layering element. Regretfully, I haven't tried it. I see Eau d’Ambre is in stock for the L’Occitane‘s UK site, but out for U.S. Oddly, the copy reads differently for the two sites.

UK: A welcoming Oriental fragrance that marries the sweetness of vanilla with a bouquet of bergamot, freesia and cedar.
    U.S.: A true Mediterranean fragrance. When the sun is slowly setting above the Mediterranean shore, cistus plants fill the air with their delicious ambered perfume. Distilled by perfumers from Grasse, France, these shrubs release a resin with an intense amber aroma - providing strength and sensuality to every fragrance. Amber EDT captivates with its oriental, ambered and woody notes.
    Well that' interesting - I wonder if they are different ? I have a L'Occitane shop close to work so I'll check that one out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleCat View Post
    Ambra del Nepal.
    +1 on Profumi di Firenze's Ambra del Nepal, as well as the Anné Pliska.

Also, for a cheapie, try Amber by Auric Blend Oils. A slightly spicy, very nice amber.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Estee Lauder Private Collection Amber Ylang-Ylang. Beautiful, sweet and very ambery. Some say boring, but I find it compelling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Armani Privé Ambre Soie is my own favorite.
    Ha! Interesting that you mention this one. I've tried many ambers and this one never gets any coverage. I was just at a high end retail store and asked the Tom Ford SA to promise me that if someone loved TF AA she'd make them also try the A.S.

It's a much spicier less sweet amber and a little cheaper. Longevity was an issue for me though. But a really nice underrated frag. I think that whole Armani Prive line is just overlooked because quite a few are duds.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

Montale Blue Amber is beautiful, Michele Bergman Black Amber is OK. Mazzolari Patchouly has a lovely rich, warm ambery drydown and Ambra del Nepal, although a tad powdery at first, dries down all soft and cuddly. I can make a couple of samples of the Patchouly and Ambra del Nepal if you'd like hilaryjane, just send me a pm.

Post Thanks / Like

Teo Cabanel's Alahine

Post Thanks / Like

Adding to the chorus:
    MPG Ambre Preceiux (sounds exactly like what you're describing)
    Dior Ambre Nuit
    Balmain Ambre Gris (cheap and nice soft amber)
    Adding:
    Dior Hypnotic Poison (maybe??)
    Laura Mercier Minuit Enchantee
    Laura Tonatto Amir (mostly myrrh but I think it's powdery once dried down)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Etro Ambra
    Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Ambre Précieux
    Ex Voto Ambre Profond
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, for the thpughtful suggestions. So far I've sampled:

Ambra Aurea - a little bit too 'hippie-ish', flat and direct in the head and heart notes for me, although the drydown was very compelling.

Fiore D'ambra - beautiful, more complex amber. I'd buy this in a flash but sillage and longevity were woeful on me.

Ambre 411 - excellent. The herbs, geranium and vetiver prevent it from becoming flat and cloying.

Etro Ambre - a lovely, subtle softer amber that I think would work in warmer weather.

Anne Pliska - after those terrible 'orange aspirin' headnotes had gone I adored this. Not a straightforward amber, sweet and slightly animalic on me. Will buy this.

L'Oiseau de Nuit - much more than just amber. Sweet and honeyed top notes, yeilding to very slightly leathery amber with labdanum. Hated it at first sniff, was intrigued by the second and in love by the third. Addictive scent. Will buy.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I did an about turn on Amber Russe and ended up craving those boozy top notes and the unapologetic hugeness of it and bought a FB to split.

I also bought into a split of CD's Ambre Nuit, unsniffed, yet to arrive.

Still to try the suggestions I haven't mentioned. Thanks very much chaelaran1008 for the offer of samples of Mazzolari Patchouly and Ambre del Nepal - I have pm'd you.

I second (third, fourth, fifth ) Ambre 114 as an "easier" version of Ambre sultan.

Try Cabanel Alahine, too! It has a middle stage that is quite rich (think Ambre précieux), but the drydown is gorgeous. I situate it near Ambre narguilé on my personal, not-so-scientifically-informed amber spectrum.

And also, Ava Luxe has a wonderful line of ambers, from light adn herbal to deep adn smoky, to sweet and gorumand. I think Amber essence was my favorite from her line.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 14th February 2010 at 01:43 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Post Thanks / Like

Call me blatant though these are a good bet;

Obsession - For Men
    Obsession - For Woman
    Azzaro - Azzaro PH
    Frédéric Malle Une Rose
    ++ More!

Good Luck!

- Balava!
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Add Molinard Ambre to whatever fragrance you like.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot one! This is a great amber - and so easy to wear - seasonless

becker eshaya golden amber

I am not a Amber fan, I tried a view but the only one works on me is Histoires de Parfum Amber 114!!
    Last edited by j_mysscent; 16th February 2010 at 09:20 AM.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Parfum d'Empire's Ambre Russe. There is a very realistic dark whiskey/brandy accord that is very addictive (no pun intended). Booze and leather concocted masterfully.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Another vote for Parfum d'Empire's Ambre Russe. There is a very realistic dark whiskey/brandy accord that is very addictive (no pun intended). Booze and leather concocted masterfully.
    See my four earlier posts on this one in this thread !

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Ooops! No Ambre Russe then. Sorry!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, i LOVE ambers:

My favourites are:
    Obsession, hands down (women's but men's is nice on a woman, too!)
    Coco
    Prada (original, not Tendre)
    Roma
    Dune
    SL Ambre Sultan
    24 Faubourg
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

santa maria novella has an odd amber extrait
    profumum has 2 ambers the strong one is a lot like Tom ford amber absolute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asingleman View Post
    santa maria novella has an odd amber extrait
    profumum has 2 ambers the strong one is a lot like Tom ford amber absolute
    Have discussed these in my last post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    I second (third, fourth, fifth ) Ambre 114 as an "easier" version of Ambre sultan.

Try Cabanel Alahine, too! It has a middle stage that is quite rich (think Ambre précieux), but the drydown is gorgeous. I situate it near Ambre narguilé on my personal, not-so-scientifically-informed amber spectrum.

And also, Ava Luxe has a wonderful line of ambers, from light adn herbal to deep adn smoky, to sweet and gorumand. I think Amber essence was my favorite from her line.
    Testing Alahine today - the drydown reminds me a little of Attrape Couer.

Not much in the Ava Luxe Etsy store for ages...

I'm headed to bed and – on a whim – sprayed on some Ormonde Jayne Tolu. I can't believe I forgot to mention this lovely amber! I suppose it's more complex than some we've discussed here, but it's definitely an "amber" fragrance!

One pyramid I found:

Top: Juniper berry, orange blossom, clary sage
    Heart: Orchid, Moroccan rose, muguet
    Base: Tolu balsam, tonka bean, golden frankincense, amber

Amber is one of my favorite notes. I second the recommendation of Madini Ambre and Teo Cabanel Alahine.

I don't think my favorite amber has been mentioned yet; Ambre D'Or by Il Profumo. I also like Etro Ambra and Amber Sultan and Obsession Sheer. I love me some amber.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hilaryjane View Post
    Thanks all, for the thpughtful suggestions. So far I've sampled:

Ambra Aurea - a little bit too 'hippie-ish', flat and direct in the head and heart notes for me, although the drydown was very compelling.

Fiore D'ambra - beautiful, more complex amber. I'd buy this in a flash but sillage and longevity were woeful on me.

Ambre 411 - excellent. The herbs, geranium and vetiver prevent it from becoming flat and cloying.

Etro Ambre - a lovely, subtle softer amber that I think would work in warmer weather.

Anne Pliska - after those terrible 'orange aspirin' headnotes had gone I adored this. Not a straightforward amber, sweet and slightly animalic on me. Will buy this.

L'Oiseau de Nuit - much more than just amber. Sweet and honeyed top notes, yeilding to very slightly leathery amber with labdanum. Hated it at first sniff, was intrigued by the second and in love by the third. Addictive scent. Will buy.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I did an about turn on Amber Russe and ended up craving those boozy top notes and the unapologetic hugeness of it and bought a FB to split.

I also bought into a split of CD's Ambre Nuit, unsniffed, yet to arrive.

Still to try the suggestions I haven't mentioned. Thanks very much chaelaran1008 for the offer of samples of Mazzolari Patchouly and Ambre del Nepal - I have pm'd you.
    Recieved my 30ml decant of CD's Amber Nuit. Very peasantly surprised by this one. It's pretty complex for a cologne. It has a strange, almost salty, citrussy top, which vanishes very quickly, to be replaces by a rosy floral, dry woody, amber heart. There are moments where you think 'oh no generic masuline' but on the whole it's an attractive scent, wearable in pretty much any situation and season. I've ordered 20 more mls as I can see myself reaching for this often as an work day scent. (I don't like to scare my barristers too much )

Thanks to the lovely and very generous chaelaran I also recieved two samples in the post. The first is one I would never have tried in my search otherwise; why would you test a scent called Patchouly if you were looking for ambers ? Because Mazzolari's Patchouly has a big amber note is why. It opens with a hefty dose of camphoraceous, earthy patchouli and soon moves on to a deep rich honeyed amber note. This is another amber that doesn't become flat or dull. I would have loved to have had a decant of this in the depth of winter and will ensure I have one in time for next year.

The second sample was Ambra del Nepal. It starts off smelling like Arabic amber and similar to many others of that ilk. However it quickly morphs into a subtle, fairly complex scent, with one of the loveliest frankincense notes I have smelled in a fragrance, which lends it a lighter quality that prevents it from becoming flat and dull like a lot of straight up ambers. It somehow manges to feel very silky and honeyed and slightly dusty at the same time. Easily my favourite of all the 'amber with a twist' fragrances I have tried so far and a must for a full bottle. Thanks so much chaeleran .

It's a cheapie but I love it...GapBody White Amber.

A few amber fragrances from the ones I love:
    SL Arabie
    SL Ambre Sultan
    OJ Tolu (this is pure joy with a lot of resin)
    Rochas Absolu (great amber and you can get it for a song)
    Patou Sublime (just "sublime")
    Yves Rocher Venise (the re-edition)
    FM Musc Ravageur (I don't know if this has amber in it actually but for me it has the same "feel"t o it as all the others I have listed)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still searching for my amber holy grail as well, though I like Ambra Aurea more than you did precisely because of its single mindedness.

Have you tried Nobile 1942 - Ambra Nobile? An interesting scent from an under reported house.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag