Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Wednesday 3 February

Good morning!

Another day in Keiko Mecheri A Fleur de Peau for me.

Have a wonderful Wednesday, all!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Thumbs up Re: SotD Wednesday 3 February

Good Morning everyone

For me today is Francis Kurkdjian 's APOM pour homme

and thanks very much Eric for this decant

Notes of : orange flower, cedar and amber
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Default Re: SotD Wednesday 3 February

Think I'll go with Borneo 1834 today.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Basenotes Institution

Have a happy day everyone !

Joy extrait for me today .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

I'm giving Ubar a proper road test today. It's possibly a bit too grand for work but I really want to get my teeth into this one. Happy Humpday!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

The very pretty Iris Noir from Yves Rocher. It's a rosy iris - cool on top and with patch underpinnings. Totally sexy and def FBW.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Zino Davidoff. Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Top notes: Lavender, Rosewood, Clary Sage, Bergamot
    Middle notes: Geranium, Rose, Lily of the valley, Jasmine
    Base notes: Patchouli, Cedar, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Coco Mademoiselle for me today.

Have a wonderful Wednesday, all.

Rolling with my Oudhies today.

L’Artisan Al Oudh

Jim Croce asked if you could catch “Time in a Bottle” musically. If I could capture 2009 in a bottle that bottle would be L’Artisan’s release at the end of 2009 Al Oudh. This fragrance encompassed two of the overriding themes of the year for me. The first was the explosion of oud fragrances starting with Le Labo Oud 27 and ending with Bond No. 9’s signature perfume. In between some of the most talented perfumers around took their turn interpreting this note. This leads to the second trend of 2009 that of the master perfumer creating multiple fragrances. Ellena, Kurkdjian, Laurent, and Buxton all did this but the most successful, to me, was Al Oudh’s perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour and so it is no surprise that M. Duchaufour dove headfirst into the oudh craze of 2009.

The oudhs of 2009 showed a remarkable versatility and managed to stand out from one another while all still being instantly recognizable as oudh focused scents. I think vetiver is the only other note that has shown this same kind of versatility and wide-use. When it comes to oudh you can go the rose tinged oudh exemplified by Montale Black Aoud or you can go one hundred and eighty degrees and work the more challenging medicinal aspects of the note as Le Labo Oud 27 did. Al Oudh falls closer to Oudh 27 on that spectrum as M. Duchaufour chooses to return to some of his favorite notes from the past. The one choice which is going to make Al Oudh a polarizing fragrance is cumin and it is definitely here in all of its power. How you feel about cumin is going to go a long way to how you’re going to feel about Al Oudh.

The top of Al Oudh begins in a challenging way as a fleeting neroli gives way to the oudh and spice-fest to follow. This is oudh at its most challenging and the cumin doubles down on that challenge. I love challenging fragrances and so this mix is right where I want it to be. As I start to really settle into Al Oudh cardamom and pepper are also present to add richness to the cumin and oudh. The spicy oudh stays firmly in the foreground and a very subdued rose come out. This makes for a lovely heart which is reminiscent of many other rose/oudh mixes, but somehow this feels less bold. My wish for bold returns in the base as a large amounts of civet carries Al Oudh back into challenging territory before patchouli and vanilla bring this one back to more pedestrian notes.

Al Oudh has excellent longevity and above average sillage. This is a challenging fragrance and depending on how you feel about cumin and how it smells on you will determine where you think it is appropriate for you to wear, because you will definitely share this fragrance with those around you.

2009 was the year of oudh and Bertrand Duchaufour for me. While Al Oudh isn’t the best oudh of 2009 or even the best Duchaufour of 2009, it’ll do as an appropriate time capsule for the year.

Have a Worldly Wednesday everyone
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 3rd February 2010 at 10:58 AM.

Good morning all Today it feels like I've rediscovered Le baiser du dragon. I really don't wear this scent often enough! Hope you all have a great Wednesday!

Still on International Sample Week, as proposed on MUA Sunday...

Today is SL Arabie. I get the dates and nutmeg the most... And I like it, as I love dates...

Cedar, sandalwood, candied mandarin peel, dried figs, dates, cumin, nutmeg, clove, balsamic resins, Tonka bean, Siamese benzoin, myrrh

Chanel no. 19. Been wearing this for the past two weeks.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Could not agree more with both soirdelune's posts on SotD thread yesterday. LOL too!

Asha, I can't find anise/licorice in it either.

Welcome back to our truants!

Bois des Iles from Chanel, as inspired by another thread.

Mmmm. Yall are in lots of my favs this morning... Zino, Arabie, 19. Delicious.

I'm testing from some samples (thanks Haunani!!!) and I'll post more reactions in the samples thread.

Dzongkha and Hiris: They actually pair beautifully and are really interesting side-by-side. Both are cool and stony, earthy scents, like I've been out gardening and both feature iris (the Hermes more prominently of course). Not getting too much tea or leather from Dzongkha yet, but the incense is spectacular. More to come.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

L'Artisan's cool and luxurious Iris Pallida today!

Am gearing up into "full fitness" mode, as I just signed on to do the "Warrior Dash" on June 19th. in Joliet, Illinois. www.warriordash.com
    Some days I wonder about my sanity...

Prada Amber PH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Mild weather here so Rochas Man today.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Mitsouko EdT on this snowy Wednesday.

Happy middle of week, everyone!

Today Fracas.
    Have a nice day.

Musc Ravageur for me - it's one of those days when it just feels like perfection.

Happy Wednesday to everyone. Wearing Guerlain Chant d'Aromes today. It's gentle femininity is perfect today.

Morning all! Gorgeous smelling bunch today, mmm.

Well, mag shoot was full of gags and giggles yesterday. It is a wee local magazine, Ottawa At Home, but I am very excited that our living room will most likely make the cover! A great coup for a Realtor

The editor was really laying it on thick and had me posing with a glass of scotch (10am!) and an (unlit!) ciggie to really channel Mad Men. I've insisted on a disclaimer if they use the ciggie shot! I busted out the pencil skirt and seamed stockings and my make up artist went nuts. Will post a pic I took with my phone on photo board...the mag comes out March 26th so will post the other photos then. It is quite amazing to have your home staged & photographed by a professional. I spent most of the early morning hours stuffing things in drawers and cupboards LOL.

Ok well I enjoyed the Nude so much yesterday think I will wear it again today. So odd yet so soft. Love the ylang and the sandalwood the most I think. Maybe the narcissus too, gives it a tingle.

Basenotes Plus

Delayed opening for the schools here. I shoveled the walks before Sofie went out to meet the bus. About 2 1/2" of fluffy snow, so it wasn't "too" bad.
    During the night, I found myself digging around in my fragrance collection. I took out Montaigne, "Y", Ecume Rose & Givenchy III and have no idea why. (Well, except I had taken an Ambien before I went to bed.)
    Even though I had put VISA on last night, I must have been craving Montaigne becasue I woke up smelling like it.

SOTD today is Givenchy III. I've got to wear these to figure out why I pulled them out.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Joe, not only that ad kid is an eye candy, I bet he is handy with WD-40 and a hammer, too! Can't stop looking at him -- and then, it is sort of my type, as opposed to the Pirates of the Carribean J.D.

Feeling out of sorts the past few days, but determined to ignore it! Attitude adjustment fragrance: Creed Tubereuse Indiana. Wonderous Wednesday to all.

Tubereuse Indiana notes include: Indian tuberose, Bulgarian rose, ylang ylang, vanilla, ambergris.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

ComDiva, I hope you feel 100% again soon!

I'm wearing Dolce & Gabbana Feminine this morning.

to all.

Quote Originally Posted by malina View Post
    Today Fracas.
    Have a nice day.
    Welcome, babe!!! Smellin' good...

Hello everybody! And welcome to you, malina!

Y'all do smell especially wonderful this morning! And RHM - you smell downright gorgeous! Givenchy III is just so quintessentially Givenchy to me. Every time I hear the name I imagine that beautiful chypre.

I'm in my favorite chypre from the late 70s - the original Calvin Klein.

Thanks Baldufita. Enjoy the dates!!!

And thanks, Evangeline.
    Last edited by malina; 3rd February 2010 at 01:53 PM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    L'Artisan's cool and luxurious Iris Pallida today!

Am gearing up into "full fitness" mode, as I just signed on to do the "Warrior Dash" on June 19th. in Joliet, Illinois. www.warriordash.com
    Good luck Ubu!

You smell fabulous today. I can smell you all the way from here (I'm working in Naperville this week).
    Last edited by petruccijc; 3rd February 2010 at 02:18 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    to all.
    lilybelle - I made a cross stitch pillow of this for my mother in 1975! For a long time she was under the impression that she still had it "somewhere" but I actually found it in a closet when I was home visiting about 15 years, so I swiped it! I used to hide it whenever they would visit but I recently confessed. She was okay with it.

I'm in the beautiful floral cloud of AdP Iris Nobile today. This is one of the most beautiful frags I've had the pleasure of wearing.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Joe, not only that ad kid is an eye candy, I bet he is handy with WD-40 and a hammer, too!
    I'm bet he is also!

Blog Entries

Frederic Malle - Noir Epices
    Top Notes: Orange, Rose, Geranium.
    Middle Notes: Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Clove, Pepper.
    Base Notes: Patchouli, Cedarwood, Sandalwood.
    Last edited by kumquat; 3rd February 2010 at 02:35 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Malina, welcome to Basenotes!
    ComDiva, hope you're feeling better soon. xoxo
    Ubu, you go!!

Estee Lauder Sensuous for this snowy, gray day.

Take care, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Good morning to all, and welcome to Malina!

Antaeusintheair, isn't Dzongkha a marvel? Glad you're enjoying!

I chose Sabi today. Goes with my green sweater. :-)

Oh Haunani, I had Dzongkha on my Wish List from the first time I wore it, but I took it off because my fiance can't stand it! He gets persistent barnyard and "sour pee" notes....I sometimes think he's just pulling my leg, but he's been consistent with this one. Hmph! I'm still thinking of getting a large decant to enjoy when he's not around.

Oh, and you smell beautiful and elegant in your Sabi!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 3rd February 2010 at 03:31 PM.

Serge Lutens Forreau Noir

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Don't go shopping Taolady — bottle of Iris Noir on its way.
    Yippy! I get to de-bulk something!
    Haven't even selected my own SotD yet.
    Back later.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Com Diva- let's go snuggle....
    You smell lovely; I'm in Montale Blue Amber, as ambery as it can get without suffocating one :-0

Rough days, but I won't back down, like dear Tom Petty advocates.
    Big hugs to you sweet folks.

It's just starting to snow here. Wearing YR Rose Absolue.

Quote Originally Posted by jacona View Post
    It's just starting to snow here. Wearing YR Rose Absolue.
    Tell me it's gorgeous! I yesterday ordered the Parfum of this...

Basenotes Institution

Egoiste Cologne Concentree by Chanel (first time from a sample - thanks NEoTY26)

Everything that I love about Egoiste, amplified. Instant love!

Chanel No. 19 EDT

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    lilybelle - I made a cross stitch pillow of this for my mother in 1975! For a long time she was under the impression that she still had it "somewhere" but I actually found it in a closet when I was home visiting about 15 years, so I swiped it! I used to hide it whenever they would visit but I recently confessed. She was okay with it.
    I have a cross stitch kit of this design when it was used as a US Postage stamp. But I can't find it anywhere since we moved. So I laughed when I read your post. I think it would make a nice needlepoint pillow in wool. Maybe I'll do that. One day. Add it to my list.

Welcome, Malina!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 3rd February 2010 at 04:53 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Delayed opening for local schools here, too. I'm in Armani Privé Ambre Soie today.

Wow, you all smell great. And lotsa iris - beautiful!
    Little funny thing... I began reading this thread and as I scrolled past libertine's post, I realized I was holding my hand the exact same way on my face as in his avatar. Just a funny little observation.

Vol de Nuit parfum today.

I am at work at noon today, one of my short days this week. Had bloodwork done on my way in. Wore Issey Miyake's A Scent this morning. Seems to call up Cristalle very much to me, which is always a good thing. Perhaps a bit of a fresher take on it.

Wore Amarinthe to bed. Wow, do I love that stuff!

I'm planning on a wearing of Back to Black after work, as I am meeting up with a girl that used to work for us for dinner. I want to smell DIVINE.

Chaya, hope you're feeling better today!

Kumquat, love the penguins. Wish I could look that adorable when I fall down....

Malina, don't think I've said my howdies to you. Welcome!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Hello! I'm in SL Un Lys, today.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldufita View Post
    Tell me it's gorgeous! I yesterday ordered the Parfum of this...
    I just happened to pick this up today, so I'll just stick my nose in the conversation to say I love it . I was sad when YR discontinued Rose Ispahan some time back, because I'd tried it once and found it intoxicating, but never managed to get a bottle.

Rose Absolute (which is my second SotD today) reminds me a lot of Rose Ispahan in the spicy drydown it has on me. The rose is always there, so it never disappears, and is complemented well by the base. So I, for one, am very happy to have run into this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Joe, not only that ad kid is an eye candy, I bet he is handy with WD-40 and a hammer, too! Can't stop looking at him -- and then, it is sort of my type, as opposed to the Pirates of the Carribean J.D.
    Indeed. Thanks for the candy.

SotD is Frederic Malle, Le Parfum de Therese. First time sampling it and am loving the big fragrant lily scent. It's better than the real lilies, which can be cloying and shed pollen all over everything.
    Last edited by Doc Elly; 3rd February 2010 at 06:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    LOL!! Thanks Kumquat, I needed that!

Cello, isn't it lovely? The edp is particularly stunning!
    Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Yeah... I remember thinking you'd sniffed one too many past-their-prime-vintages when you did that 1000 situps challenge right before Thanksgiving. But you did amazing then, and I know you're gonna master this one too!!

A nice early shift and now I'm free till Friday morning! Gonna shower and then wear something indulgent!! I'll wear one of the three we made on my birthday with our perfume kit!! It doesn't have a name, but its an herbal citrus that warms to a spicy wood base. Simple, but it came out even better than we expected!

Tangerine, Blood Orange
    Coriander, Clove,
    Patchouli, Virginia Cedar

Now to enjoy my time off!! Have a fabulous day darlings!
    <3 ... I'm blind crazy in love... <3

No. 88

Eva Pasco

Greetings, all:

Today it was merely a couple of dabs behind the ears of Terranova Gardenia.

May you find time to explore the untapped and uncharted potential which resides in all of us...

Welcome Nymph!

Samsara edp, and lots of it, for me. Still can barely smell anything because of this cold. Wishing for springtime and budding flowers.

Evening all,

still trying to bring spring to southern Sweden by wearing Van Cleef & Arpel's Murmure.

It doesn't seem to work, we've had more snow today. Maybe I should go for Diorissimo tomorrow :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph View Post
    Hello! I'm in SL Un Lys, today.
    Welcome, Nymph!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Quote Originally Posted by Lessa View Post
    Welcome, Nymph!
    Thank you, Lessa!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

… a-n-d … I'm back, having boxed up some hand-me-downs for Tao. Now when I kook at all my bottle-bottles (as opposed to decants), I feel just right (except that big square bottle of Mandragore is too large).

Scent twins with my darling Haunani in Sabi.

Joe, I'm grinning toward Naperville, which isn't too far south of here. That Zino man is in my favorite “man surrendered” position.

Forgive us our rank old-lady winks, Malina, and welcome to the fragrant Basenotes garden. Oh, and NYMPH, too!

Ubu, I'm saluting your full fitness mode with a second helping of tiara misu.
    Last edited by Quarry; 3rd February 2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Adding nymph
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Thanks guys N gals, for your unwaivering support of my insanity...JOE! Naperville is only about 75 miles from my home. I have to drive my son to Glen Ellyn (neighboring town of Naperville) Friday evening ~ will you still be around then??? Can we sniff together?

3xasif ~ WOWSERS! What a whirlwind experience, please tell us more & or share some pics - pretty please???