Code of Conduct

Thread: Barnyard oud?

Default Barnyard oud?

I was wondering what you "guys" mean by barnyard oud? I'm not sure I tried a "true" scent, I was given a big spray sample of bonds new signatue scent. But most Bn's say they can't smell oud in that.
    I post lots from my I phone so if this looks like a text message that's why ( :

Default Re: Barnyard oud?

I ment never tried "true" oud scent.
    I'm writing this from a new blackberry, so pleas forgive mistakes.

KOUROS = Eau de Outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I was wondering what you "guys" mean by barnyard oud?
    To me a barnyard scent evokes the smell of wet hay and manure.

Banned

Barnyard oud means that it smells like one or more of these: hay, shit, animalic, dirty, skanky.

When most members refer to "barnyard" oud, we're describing a heady stink, much like that which you would find in a barnyard (ie: faeces/urine). This is not the case with all pure oud oils, but it varies a lot depending on the region, age and tree the fungus is cut from. Pure oud is challenging to the novice nose, but rarely ever turns up in mainstream fragrance releases (synthetic ouds are used most often - mainly because they are a fraction of the cost of using pure oud).

Just get a sample of Oud 27 by Le Labo.

Wild Himalaya oud oil by Oriscent literally smells like a horse barnyard. If you smell this you will know what we mean.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Yes, my most powerful oud oil does have a barnyard note. It is a manure note, basically.

When I was a kid, I used to spend my vacations in a farm. I know what a barnyard smells like, and my oud does have that smell. I have another oud oil, from a lower grade, that doesn't have that manure smell, but instead has a very animalic and strong sweat leathery note.

The ouds are also balsamic and sharply woody.
    Last edited by Billy Budd; 30th January 2010 at 07:05 PM.

Also, I was told that the middle-east ouds have a medicinal topnote. But I haven't confirmed this yet. I don't have enough money right now. I will test it someday.

your barnyard oud is probably indian/hindi oud....and the other probably cambodhi....although I have on a cambodhi now that has a pretty strong barnyard note.

I never smelled a mediciny top note in any arabian oud by any of the big houses ASAQ AO and Ajmal.....they are more of a refined cambodhi hindi mix that is kinda one demnsional.....you have to pay like $4000 to get the good stuff from ASAQ..thaqeel!

Ajmal makes a great perfume spray that takes the barnyardy note of indian oud into a perfume...called shams.

that mediciny note they say is oud in montales...i never smelled an oud oil with that note.

Want to try a wonderful quality oud oil...and the best for the money....try agaraura.com indian spice ....its simply amazing how complex it is. starts oud a little barnyardy...then changes on your skin all day.

I guess le labo oud 27 might be barnyardy...but its not the same as real oud barnyardy. its like they tried to copy the top notes of some oud and make it into a perfume with other notes or something....theres nothing like the real thing.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

ever try ajmal indian musk ghazelle? thats like 10 barnyards in a bottle! when i wear that my dog wont leave me alone!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!

Thanks eveyone I'm going to sample an oud, prob tom ford. But to me Dzing smell like you all descibed, but I don't think it has oud.

+++++++1 Oud 27!

tom ford isnt an oud....its a fragrance with a synthetic oud note in it...and dzing smells nothing like the notes we are talking about!

this site here has real oud samples and quality..... agaraura.com check em out if you want a real oud!

my stuff for sale!

Thanks, just thought tom ford special blend would be easy to get. I am going to try some of the ones mentioned here.

Jack, the barnyard oud smell exactly like that, barnyard. If you've ever been around horses you'll know what I mean. It's not the scent of manure per se but more of the pungent animal skin and sweat, with a certain animalic sweetness. As dred said, these notes are predominantly found in some not all Indian, Cambodian, Lao, Vietnamese, Chinese oils. The terms is used in an extremely generalizing fashion and there are huge variations between different ouds in their actual smells, so the term "barnyard" is used just as a conditional designation of a certain scent note that can be percieved in these oils in addition to whatever other notes are there.

The barnyard ouds are generally liked in the Middle East, particularly in the Gulf states and not so much by the typical "Westerners", i.e. the liking for the barnyardy ouds is an acquired taste. Other, more "universally appealing" for the lack of a better word, oud scent profiles do much better with the Western audiences - Indonesian/Borneo which are generally very woody and diffusive in an almost menthol/camphor way (Oriscent's Borneos), Cambodian non-barnyard sweet ouds which can be deep and intoxicating (Oudimentary's KSSS, Agaraura's Ateeq, ASAQ's Thaqeel) and some unconventional Indian of the highest quality that lack the barnyard but still have the depth and complexity of the genre (Agaraura's Indian Spice, ASAQ Kalakassi).

Commercial Western spray fragrances from Tom Ford, Le Labo, By Killian and Montale have none or very little actual oud and don't come anywhere near the depth, complexity and sheer emotional effect real ouds possess. The sprays can be pleasant but they are just two-dimensional black-and-white low-resolution print outs of stunningly beautiful 3-dimensional object of dazzlying colours

Thanks for your insight Igor01. and the other BN's that explained this. I didn't realize it was so "complicated" with the different types of oud. This will make the hobby more fun, I have more to learn than I thought. Basically try a few different ouds and see if I like them and know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    tom ford isnt an oud....its a fragrance with a synthetic oud note in it...and dzing smells nothing like the notes we are talking about!
    Does anyone else think that Tom Ford Oud Wood smells a bit like Ajax or Comet Scouring Powder at first?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I didn't realize it was so "complicated" with the different types of oud. This will make the hobby more fun, I have more to learn than I thought. Basically try a few different ouds and see if I like them and know the difference.
    This is an increadibly rewarding hobby, if you muster the resolve to learn and spend time (and money). I gradually retired all my "regular" fragrances after taking the plunge If you're seriuosly considering dipping your toe, try to sample as many oils (even the known crappy ones) as cheaply as possible. The ouds, particularly the better ones, are so complex and unfamiliar that it will take some time for you to start building a mental frame of reference and classification, as well as to figure out your likes and dislikes. Lots of sampling and lots of time and patience will do it. And even if you find an oil you like a lot, don't jump on buying a whole bottle (mind you, bottles in the oud world are usually 3ML in size...) but give yourself some more time and if possible, compare with others - chances are you'll come across something even more breathtaking that you will want to throw your money at

And if you decide to do some research, there's no place like our very own Oud Social Discussion Group. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Just get a sample of Oud 27 by Le Labo.
    Just what I meant to say. But just the first half hour. The drydown is so soft, warm, wrapping, addictive as withe many Le Labo scents.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Does anyone else think that Tom Ford Oud Wood smells a bit like Ajax or Comet Scouring Powder at first?
    I get a very "detergent", hairspray, chemical (and I don't give a negative conotation to that word) in most TF scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    This is an increadibly rewarding hobby,

And if you decide to do some research, there's no place like our very own Oud Social Discussion Group. Good luck!
    I've been learning a great deal about oud oils from this social group. I have mostly samples of oils discussed in this group but my first encounter with a truly barnyardy oud oil was with Oudhasi's Assam Superior - a very good example of an Indian oud. Oudhasi (oudhasi.com) sells very reasonably priced samples of AS as well as a couple more expensive Indian oud oils (Assam Flora & Assam 15 Year. Igor01 also mentions AgarAura's Indian Spice (its also possible to order samples from agaraura.com - and also very reasonably priced). IS is a very nice Indian oud - but perhaps not as "in-your-face" barnyardy as AS - well worth trying IMO.

I'd add that this type of oud has really grown on me. For those who enjoy musk scents like Serge Lutens MKK, you're going to enoy these as well - I think.

There's 3-4 types of 'barnyard' Indian oud smells: bovine, equiline, elephantine and camel.
    The first being the most common.

By the way, I finally got to smell Le Labo 'Oud', something from Tom Ford, Montale etc..

Now first of all, I detest elitism, and I had initially thought that maybe some people were displaying some elitism when they were putting down Western renditions of oud.
    Having (hoped to have) made that clear: I did not find *ANY* oud note in that Le Labo junk, nor in Tom Ford's concoction.
    Le Labo was quite nauseating; smelled like a gas pump restroom: those white things in the urinal, urine, and a cost-cutting teenager's using his grandpa's cheap sickly-sweet cologne instead of a an air freshener. Absolutely NO oud.
    Tom Ford's smelled okay, but I didn't smell any oud. Maybe a hint, like Arabian mukhallat sprays.
    Montales, similarly didn't smell of any oud.

I'll reiterate: I don't mean to sound elitist; those are my honest impressions.
    Last edited by tahasyed; 31st January 2010 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tahasyed View Post
    ...Tom Ford's smelled okay, but I didn't smell any oud. Maybe a hint, like Arabian mukhallat sprays.
    Maybe they didn't smell of anything similar to a good quality oud oil?
    Here's one thing to consider before judging the 'oud' in any alcohol based perfume. Would any of the Western or ME houses use a decent quality oud oil for their EdP/EdT? I don't think so. I suppose they all use some cheap generic and possibly synthetic (firmenich, givaudan..) 'oud'. The so called 'oud' in any of the spray mukhs I've tried (mostly AO, Montale, a couple from Rasasi) has always been a sharp, often synthetic smelling note. Has anyone from the oud aficionados here ever smelled an alcohol fragrance with a great oud note? Can oud mixed with alcohol ever be a smooth note like the (good) oud oil? And would Thaqeel/Kalakassi still smell as great when diluted in alcohol (God forbid!) and mixed with some other ingredients? Perhaps they would turn into something weird smelling, that is?

Phibess, I have tried tons of the worst quality oud oils (I'm talking worth $20 per tola even!).
    And I've tried also tried Arabian oud sprays, like Ajmal's Shams.
    Similarly, I've tried sprays in which oud is one of several ingredients (i.e. mukhallat sprays).

For all 3 of these^, the oud note is there. It might be good/terrible whatever.. that's not the point. The point is that the oud is there.
    But with Le Labo (ESPECIALLY Le Labo) and many other Western so-called oud sprays, I couldn't smell *any* oud at all.
    I'll reiterate: I've smelled tons of ouds, and of various grades due to the fact that I'm a seller, and have to deal with them. The Western sprays at best might have a synthetic oud note (if you're lucky).
    I was just shocked how all the Western houses manage to call it 'oud' and sell it... : S
    Last edited by tahasyed; 31st January 2010 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    Can oud mixed with alcohol ever be a smooth note like the (good) oud oil? And would Thaqeel/Kalakassi still smell as great when diluted in alcohol (God forbid!) and mixed with some other ingredients? Perhaps they would turn into something weird smelling, that is?
    I think diluting with alcohol has been done by some brave soulds and if I am not mistaken, they report that the duliting helps make some of the less pleasant oil more palatable and reveals some aspects previously hidden. But while this would be an interesting experiment with lesser ouds, I'd probably never muster the courage to do this with the top-tier stuff, and not just because of the cost. Obviously, adding other ingredients would change the overall scent, but that's the beauty of good oud oils - there's no need to add anything.

Sometimes I feel that we are too harsh on the "oud/aoud" spray fragrances - it's somewhat unfair to compare mostly synthetic fragrances to unique oil costing hundreds of dollars per 1ML, but on the other hand having seen the prices some of these "ouds" go for I wonder how the manufacturers can get away with charging outrageous amounts of money for these synthetic frags. And thanks to them, "oud" is now routinely described as bandaid-like, or barnyard-y when in truth ouds have a huge range of increadibly diverse, unbelievably rich and intoxicatingly beautiful aromas. Sorta like I would chew a stick of Juicy Fruit and conclude that I am now familiar with all the intricate nuances of various tropical fruit's taste and smell.
    Last edited by Igor01; 31st January 2010 at 06:33 PM.

I have to agree with Tahasyed here. I have only sampled a few Montale Aouds, but I could find no trace of real Oud in them whatsoever, neither can I in other commercially available western frags (not that I've tried them all). There may be warm, woody elements that to an inexperienced nose are at best reminding of some isolated oud elements.

As to if Oud changes character when mixed with other things: I have mixed Oud with other naturals, pure alcohol, commercial alcoholic perfume with or without synthetics and the oudiness, that undefinable quality that is beyond all my vocabulary, remains. Once settled on the skin any, even tiny, amount of Oud will be discernible as such. To me, the claims from Montale they use real Oud in their "Aouds" are hard to believe unless we are talking purely symbolic amounts, more like just running past the "Aoud" vat whilst holding a bottle of real Oud.

Added: I have also tried this with the very cheapest quality of Oud, now we're talking $13 Tola.
    Last edited by iez; 31st January 2010 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks, Taha, Igor & iez Perhaps the oud used in Le Labo, TF..is a new EU variety and will be much sought after in the near future. A new atomic Euro oud
    Last edited by phibess; 31st January 2010 at 06:56 PM.

Many of the Arabian perfume houses utilise pure Oud in their sprays and yes you can actually detect the Oud!

Ajmal - Dhen Al Oudh Ash-Shams
    Ajmal - Mukhallath Ash-Shams
    Al-Haramain - Dhenal Oudh Ateeq
    Al-Haramain - Mukhallath Ar-Raisi
    Rasasi - Oudh Al Mumaiz
    Arabian Oud - Cambodi Moattaq
    Arabian Oud - Hindi Moattaq
    Abdul Samad Al Quraishi - Oud spray (forgot the name)
    + many, many more ...

Sorta like I would chew a stick of Juicy Fruit and conclude that I am now familiar with all the intricate nuances of various tropical fruit's taste and smell.
    Lol, exactly! Very well said!

Wow acer after reading this whole thread I was about to list half of those fragrances you mentioned!!!!

I have Ajmal dehn al oudh Shams special edition....its my first real oudh note spray its a wonderful indian note.....well for a spray i was amazed!

I have to Thank montale and le labo for this though...if they didnt call their fragrances oud I wouldnt have had the curiosity to seek out real oud oil....I am so glad i did. Its opened my eyes to the most wonderful fragrant in the world! Nothing in the world can compare to a real ouds complexity....they are a joy to wear everyday! I am in the same boat igor is....once you get hooked on oud you slowly start to get rid of the sprays like montales and tom fords.....they just dont cut it for you anymore when you can wear a fragrance as complex as oud.

oh and igor why you telling him even if he finds something he likes not to buy a bottle?? I have 2 bottles of indian spice! If I could wear that everyday of my life I would! I didnt beleive in love at first sniff till then! lol

my stuff for sale!

oh and igor why you telling him even if he finds something he likes not to buy a bottle?? I have 2 bottles of indian spice! If I could wear that everyday of my life I would! I didnt beleive in love at first sniff till then! lol
    It's just been my experience that my perception of oud and my ability to understand and appreciate the many types of oud aromas have been changing significantly with more exposure to different ois. More than once I would fall for a certain oud and get a full bottle only to find after a few months of use that while I still "like" them, there are others that embody a particular aspect that attracted me to them in an even more spectacular way. Or, that another oud would have the notes I love but without some annoying notes I can do without. Or, that another oud would do much better with my skin chemistry.

I've learned to become a lot more restrained when it comes to acquisition, and thankfully, even relatively small and inexpensive amounts in sample vials can usually last a long enough time to figure out whether you really need to splash big for a full 3ML or whatever. So instead on getting one $400 bottle of oil you may or may not remain in love with, I'd rather opt for getting a number of 0.2-03ML samples which will allow me to learn and have the benefit of actually having worn an oil for a long time and having compared it to others.

The other thing I would do differently now would be to abandon the approach when I would get a slightly lesser oil just because it was significantly less expensive than the top stuff. As it turns out, eventually I get the most expensive one too, and the "economical" oud just sits in the drawer and collects dust. (Not that there aren't spectacular oils in the lower-price bracket, but I hope you see what I mean.)

I have no restraint!

although I did buy one bottle of not so good oudh from ASAQ....and I learned my lesson with buying anything from ASAQ AO and Ajmal.....lesson learned...I dont even think theres oud in them! its like oud flavored perfume oil.

now say some site comes up with single origins...and you have no idea how they are...all you know is they sell borneos that you like...a new kind you never tried before...you might have heard on the board someone say they were good...they dont offer samples...are you going to buy one? OF COURSE YOU ARE!!! LOL

everyone on basenotes is gluttonous!

Igor is right and helped me alot too....buy alot of samples of different kinds of ouds and then you will find out what one you like the best.....i like em all!!! just dont do what I did and buy one of the best first....then almost everything afterwards is kinda disappointing lol
    Last edited by dredmahawkus; 1st February 2010 at 01:58 AM.

my stuff for sale!

I am wearing Ajmal shams special edition tonight...it concentrates on that barnyardy indian note....its quite excellent...i am addicted to indian oud note! I am also wearing agaraura indian spice oud oil.....I was just told I smell like an old indian mans fart lol

my stuff for sale!

I am wearing Ajmal shams special edition tonight...it concentrates on that barnyardy indian note....its quite excellent...i am addicted to indian oud note! I am also wearing agaraura indian spice oud oil.....I was just told I smell like an old indian mans fart lol
    Who said such a thing? My mind is boggling.
    I have been waiting for the inevitable "why would you want to smell like a barnyard?" question but it hasn't come so I'll preempt it.
    The thing about the powerful Hindi oudhs, like so many things in life, is that you need to accept the challenge to receive the rewards. While at first the smell can be almost unpleasant, I find that over time on the skin, they develop in a much deeper and more complex way than other oudh oils, and end up being ultra-smooth, rich, beautifully fragrant and long lasting.
    To me, after all is said and done, the "barnyardy" thing is only a very small, albeit striking part of the whole experience.

Just a few days ago, I went to Sayed Junaid Aalam's ( if you've ever heard of the name) oud shop and got myself 6mls of their famous Oud Mubakhar( smoked Burmese oud oil), which for my nose, is a very lovely oil once it calms down( the high notes are a bit rotten if you smell it out of spite). SJA's smoked oil is just amazing when left to cool down, but I made one graval mistake that ruind the whole characteristic of this oil. I simply blended it with an additional 6ml malaysian oud( which I didn't take my time to like it) and the result was a fusion of fecal, fruity, and citrussy scents that makes your smelling sense gets perplexed and uncomfortable.

I did blend this same smoked oil with a 7 year- aged, cheap Cambodi oud five months ago. It gave out a spiritual radiation and mind relaxing fragrance. It seemed as if the smoked oil found a good partner and their atoms got firmly synchronised, extending a scent that would truly make the dismal rejoiced, and the low moraled reinvigorated.

I wanted to retry this blend on a larger scale( a full tola using both types). I didn't find that Cambodi oil, so I tried to make up for it's missing. I thought at first that the Malaysian was a good substitution, but it gave out a totally reversed reaction. Although my parents did not find it that ugly, my father did remark on something being fishy about it.

Now, I should try this smoked oil with something else. I should look for Cambodi oil to go with it ( wish that cheap oil is still around).

Here's my advice: Never try to blend ouds together without an exquisite taster being around you for help.
    Last edited by Oudh Seeker; 2nd February 2010 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oudh Seeker View Post
    Here's my advice: Never try to blend ouds together without an exquisite taster being around you for help.
    This is very good advice Oudh Seeker. I have made my own mistakes as well. Blending oudhs is not as simple as it seems.

@bblake I agree 100% about the drydown of Hindis.
    You defo don't want to be hugging someone right after an application of Indian oud. But after about an hour (and then for the next several hours), that buttery creamy woody spicy smell starts to develop, and I find it more satisfying than any other type of oud.

Perhaps thats what dred loves about Hindis as well...

@ Oudh Seeker... blending with 1 wrong oil can spoil the entire bottle.
    I'm very happy that I've had success at blending, as the result was something that (to my delight) *EVERY* one who smelled it, loved!
    I guess you have to almost be able to 'imagine' what smell you are aiming for, and be able to anticipate what adding X will do to the smell.

I happen to draw and paint, and I'm able to project that imagination in my mind and apply it to the canvas... just as I do when creating a blend. I remember someone once asked me 'how' I draw, and I simply answered it's just lines on paper.
    It's the same with creating a masterful blend. It's just various oils. But it can go horribly wrong.
    Like scribbles v.s. a beautiful landscape.
    Last edited by tahasyed; 2nd February 2010 at 10:24 PM.

I dont know about how your oud blends are.....but that mukhallat you made is incredibly blended! a proffesional house couldnt do a better job!...and yeah thats what I like about indian ouds....although I kinda like the opening blast too when no one is around lol...I like everything about them when I come to think about it! the opening,..when the opening is burning it off and it starts to get that sweet warm smell....and then the drydown woody spicy....I pretty much really enjoy every stage of indian. when I wear it, its like I am treating myself!

my stuff for sale!

Last edited by peppermua; 8th February 2010 at 01:25 AM.

To the OP, I'm pretty new to oud myself, heck i'm new to niche all together, oud "note" and oud oil and attars and all that...for me, I really like the idea of layering oud (pick your poisoin) and a traditional niche fragrance...or even with an attar like Tribute with ASAQ ambergris (ok neither has oud but whatever)...stretches the budget and keeps it interesting. I would not rely on western/euro fragrances as ones exposure to oud (I can't believe that I just said that!)...granted not everyone can afford thaqeel (i know i can't) but I like the cheapie "big house" stuff just fine and it works just fine for layering and mixing things up. Just get a cheap dehen oud and slap it on and then throw on your TF or whatever and it will probably make the TF smell better.

But I think one can appreciate the "spirit" of the oud note in european fragrance. Who knows, maybe it has no oud in it but the whole oud thing reflects a trend in the popularity of eastern fragrances in the west...scents of the orient are back!

That reminds me, i must try an experiment with TF TV and ambergris or oud tomorrow!
    Last edited by peppermua; 8th February 2010 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tahasyed View Post
    By the way, I finally got to smell Le Labo 'Oud', something from Tom Ford, Montale etc..

Now first of all, I detest elitism, and I had initially thought that maybe some people were displaying some elitism when they were putting down Western renditions of oud.
    Having (hoped to have) made that clear: I did not find *ANY* oud note in that Le Labo junk, nor in Tom Ford's concoction.
    Le Labo was quite nauseating; smelled like a gas pump restroom: those white things in the urinal, urine, and a cost-cutting teenager's using his grandpa's cheap sickly-sweet cologne instead of a an air freshener. Absolutely NO oud.
    Tom Ford's smelled okay, but I didn't smell any oud. Maybe a hint, like Arabian mukhallat sprays.

I'll reiterate: I don't mean to sound elitist; those are my honest impressions.
    I appreciate your point that Oud fragrances like the Le Labo one do not necessarily contain genuine oud or smell like the real thing. However, in my opinion the Le Labo oud is still a very good fragrance and stands on its own with merit, and I have respect for the house as a whole.

very well put. its not really fair to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by teger View Post
    Barnyard oud means that it smells like one or more of these: hay, shit, animalic, dirty, skanky.
    hahaha ok...i linked to this post about the barnyard scent in oud...and I just can't help laughing about teger's description of the word skanky to describe the barnyard smell... what does skany even smell like? lol
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Jack, the barnyard oud smell exactly like that, barnyard. If you've ever been around horses you'll know what I mean. It's not the scent of manure per se but more of the pungent animal skin and sweat, with a certain animalic sweetness. As dred said, these notes are predominantly found in some not all Indian, Cambodian, Lao, Vietnamese, Chinese oils. The terms is used in an extremely generalizing fashion and there are huge variations between different ouds in their actual smells, so the term "barnyard" is used just as a conditional designation of a certain scent note that can be percieved in these oils in addition to whatever other notes are there.

The barnyard ouds are generally liked in the Middle East, particularly in the Gulf states and not so much by the typical "Westerners", i.e. the liking for the barnyardy ouds is an acquired taste. Other, more "universally appealing" for the lack of a better word, oud scent profiles do much better with the Western audiences - Indonesian/Borneo which are generally very woody and diffusive in an almost menthol/camphor way (Oriscent's Borneos), Cambodian non-barnyard sweet ouds which can be deep and intoxicating (Oudimentary's KSSS, Agaraura's Ateeq, ASAQ's Thaqeel) and some unconventional Indian of the highest quality that lack the barnyard but still have the depth and complexity of the genre (Agaraura's Indian Spice, ASAQ Kalakassi).

Commercial Western spray fragrances from Tom Ford, Le Labo, By Killian and Montale have none or very little actual oud and don't come anywhere near the depth, complexity and sheer emotional effect real ouds possess. The sprays can be pleasant but they are just two-dimensional black-and-white low-resolution print outs of stunningly beautiful 3-dimensional object of dazzlying colours
    I have actually tried a medium priced Hindi - Bhakoor Khas from Ajmal which is very nice. Initially you get the medicinal note , but later smells with a nice sweet hay along with a tobacco note. Can someone recommend such oudh either from Zahras or elsewhere.

Thanks

As previously advised, it would be far better to ask in the Oud Group, rvinodh199!
    It's not a great idea to keep reviving these old threads.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    As previously advised, it would be far better to ask in the Oud Group, rvinodh199!
    It's not a great idea to keep reviving these old threads.
    Ok sure.

Thanks - there are current discussions over there, so you won't be talking to yourself!

Hi I went to the oudh group and if I want to reply to anyones reply, I don't have an option of reply or reply with quote. I do have only an option of report. Can you guide me .

Hi - it's maybe because you need to join Groups before posting? - if you find the Group on this page, there should be an option to join, then you should be able to post there - good luck!
    http://www.basenotes.net/group.php

Ajmal Mukhallat Al Shams: Very much cow poop-y

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    When most members refer to "barnyard" oud, we're describing a heady stink, much like that which you would find in a barnyard (ie: faeces/urine). This is not the case with all pure oud oils, but it varies a lot depending on the region, age and tree the fungus is cut from. Pure oud is challenging to the novice nose, but rarely ever turns up in mainstream fragrance releases (synthetic ouds are used most often - mainly because they are a fraction of the cost of using pure oud).
    This.
    Thought it is sad that these kind of ouds are scarce nowadays

Dior Leather Oud for sure ! Or try your luck with one of the overpriced Xeryoff (?) juices. They have a cheesy skank thing going on.

Dehn el Ood oudh Seufi by Swiss Arabian*is barnyard in a bottle
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."