Code of Conduct

Thread: polo green

Default polo green

Aside from the oak moss issue, has this classic been significatly reformulated?

Blog Entries

Default Re: polo green

Quote Originally Posted by slimbob714 View Post
    Aside from the oak moss issue, has this classic been significatly reformulated?
    This is an interesting question, I'd like to know the answer to also. I wore it a lot in HS and College, and bought it again recently for nostalgia (and it's my wife's favorite). The dry down seems to sour on me, and I don't remember that from when I used to wear it. I had just chalked it up to not knowing better when I was younger.

I am a huge Polo aficionado and I really don't see a change in the fragrance -

One of my friends rocks this really good, but I don't think I ever could. This seems like one of those fragrances that you'd have to be wearing a polo shirt every day to pull off effectively. It is pretty ageless though. Dont know the difference between old and new bottles btw, sorry i couldn't help

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

It smells the same to me today as it has since the early 80s when i first used it. If it has been reformulated, then it is a "good" reformulation. Don't let it bother you. Just enjoy.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

It''s the same thats for sure. Although imo...

Polo Modern Reserve > Polo green

I had a bottle of polo in the beginning of the 90's, and I bought a bottle recently. I could not find any difference!

I tried a little the other day and it brought back fond memories. That was a real "go to" scent for me in the early 80s. I think it is a classic, but in my world it's just a tad dated and played out. It's a bit more potent than most frags from the last 10-15 years, so I'd advise being careful with the dose. I'd also warn that it might be a bit polarizing. That stuff was so popular and recognizable from its heyday that a lot of people might have good and bad memories associated with it.

I've been wearing this classic for some years now (about 25) and I find it consistant

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    It''s the same thats for sure. Although imo...

Polo Modern Reserve > Polo green
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I agree
    I don't know if I do, but because Mike's opinions are so good and he's so worthy of making them I take the liberty of saying I can't follow him this time. It's a simple reason, but I should get some Modern Reserve and sample it a few days, however Polo Green is such a milestone and great smell that I'm uncomfortable saying anything else carrying its name could be greater. (I realize I'm responding to the name more than the scent though, so take my reservations as lighterweight for sure.)

Polo Green is wonderful. Such a range of things to smell in it, but when I smelled it on a guy at a party over the holidays I wondered if he wore it because he didn't know breadth of options out there, if he might be stuck in a scent. Jackass thought on my part for sure, but all the same I wondered if such a universally recognized scent might be a suggestion of lack of scent taste, if you'll allow me the poor term, rather than good taste in perhaps fully believing in how he felt in the scent, if he did. Even with a wonderful scent.

I'll deserve to be called a jackass about this for sure, but I couldn't make up my mind if wearing a scent I think is wonderful was tasteful or tasteless. There aren't many scents that would put me in this position (Drakkar Noir might), but Polo Green sure does.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

DustB, I don't think you are a jackass. I get what you are saying. Like I said above, I bought it again last year for nostalgia, and it's my wife's favorite. I just couldn't buy MR at the time, it had to be the real thing. But, nevertheless, I don't ever really reach for it (except our anniversary). Since joining BN, a whole new world of fragrances has been opened up to me.

It is good to hear that it hasn't been reformulated though.

Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post

It is good to hear that it hasn't been reformulated though.
    Thgolfer, I sure agree with you there my friend. Think of how fortunate all of us are that we can still pick it up in its original scent vision? Another reason it's great scent.

Now I've got to try out Modern Reserve.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Now I've got to try out Modern Reserve.
    I tried it once, before I bought the original, and thought it was a little smokey. As in, the smell of cigarette smoke. But to be fair, that was early last year when I was just a clueless newbie. I too need to give it another chance.

I've smelled Modern Reserve recently and although it's good, I much prefer the original Polo (big fan of Polo here). Modern Reserve to me smells very much like Polo Crest, which I remember smelling like a lighter, sweeter version of Polo. Lots of BN members seem to like the Modern Reserve better, but I'll be sticking with the original.

Gentleman: Very interesting thread, and for me, a very timely one.

I am very close to acquiring a bottle of my old friend Polo Green. However, I must say that after a few wears, PMR put me off a bit with the rather pronounced pine opening and somewhat uninteresting drydown.

I can safely say at this point that I much prefer Polo Green.

However, based on the above comments and before committing to either, I believe the wise thing to do is to provide PMR with a fair chance and couple of more wears.

Best,

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    in my world it's just a tad dated and played out. It's a bit more potent than most frags from the last 10-15 years, so I'd advise being careful with the dose. I'd also warn that it might be a bit polarizing. That stuff was so popular and recognizable from its heyday that a lot of people might have good and bad memories associated with it.
    Mr. Stylin has it right. For awhile I couldn't bear to be around this stuff. It became too associated with a kind of cheesy what's-your-sign-baby crowd in my part of the world. I disposed of my gift bottle promptly. Only lately have I been able to sniff it again. Still, bad memories persist. Proceed with caution, I can't be the only one. . .

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Mr. Stylin has it right. For awhile I couldn't bear to be around this stuff. It became too associated with a kind of cheesy what's-your-sign-baby crowd in my part of the world. I disposed of my gift bottle promptly. Only lately have I been able to sniff it again. Still, bad memories persist. Proceed with caution, I can't be the only one. . .
    I was wearing Drakkar Noir during the 1980s, not Polo, so I don't get the bad memories when I smell Polo. Now Drakkar Noir, that's another story...

On the reformulation issue, I'm glad to hear that the Polo Green junkies don't notice a difference in formulations, if there even is one. My bottle, which is almost empty, is one I bought about seven years ago. I was wondering if I need to search for an old "splash" bottle, since it would be an older bottle, but it sounds like I don't need to worry. I generally don't get too hung up about reformulations, but Polo is precious stuff.

I find this to be such a hallmark scent, which still smells as luscious and sexy today as it did back in the 80's; seems reformulation might have missed this gem, hallelujah. I find it trumps many other scents out there, even ones that are 4x more expensive and super-niche. It is the only scent that I can smell on a man and instantly be super attracted to them regardless of what they look like; great for them, horrible for me in times past.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Thanks to you all for your comments and help.

DustB, your comments,

"...I wondered if such a universally recognized scent might be a suggestion of lack of scent taste, ...."

"I'll deserve to be called a jackass about this for sure, but I couldn't make up my mind if wearing a scent I think is wonderful was tasteful or tasteless. "

... surprised me. I understand what you are saying. and it got me examining what I think about it, this hobby, and Basenotes. No disrespect intended.
    Last edited by slimbob714; 1st February 2010 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slimbob714 View Post
    Thanks to you all for your comments and help.

DustB, your comments,

"...I wondered if such a universally recognized scent might be a suggestion of lack of scent taste, ...."

"I'll deserve to be called a jackass about this for sure, but I couldn't make up my mind if wearing a scent I think is wonderful was tasteful or tasteless. "

... surprised me. I understand what you are saying. and it got me examining what I think about it, this hobby, and Basenotes. No disrespect intended.
    Slimbob,
    I owe YOU apologies, as I didn't intend any disrespect by my post and in fact think the scent you're into and asking about is a great one. I was trying to get out some thoughts that I had running through my head, and did so rather crudely. Sorry for all confusion or doubts I've passed on. I don't like passing doubts on.

I think all scents should be worn in healthy good confidence, and in my story at the holiday party I was the only one at any fault and with any tastelessness.

(Were we at a holiday party together, by chance?)

Drop a note anytime if I can help out, Slimbob. Good health and good scents to you!

DustB, No apology necessary. Maybe I was surprised because I would have wondered the same thing, had I been at the party.

I have not been doing fragrances long enough to make a conscious decision concerning too popular/ too cheap/too old/ too___ fragrances and how other peoples opinions should effect my scent choices. I guess its about time.

I decided its not the hobby or the Basnotes. I need to adjust my attitude, and I am. Your post was the catalyst. And I think I'll talk about fragrances not people.

Thanks for your friendly offer of help. Sorry for the mix up. Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Bob
    Last edited by slimbob714; 1st February 2010 at 08:02 AM.

Nah, for me...it's just as good, Unless you're thinking of the modern reserve Polo Green...That's just deliberately done!

The Polo Modern Reserve is good...though Is Don Is good! and Don is Mr.Green
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

I think that Polo has been slightly reworked over the years, but the fact that it has changed so little is a sign that it has been deftly done. I have had many bottles over the years, and it is only when you go looking for the differences that you discern small changes in intensity and emphasis. Ralph Lauren clearly have no intention of damaging something so noteworthy. They should also be commended for their introduction of Modern Reserve which could easily have been a disaster and sullied the good name, but they have indeed pulled of the difficult feat of updating the old Polo concept. As a previous poster has already stated, don't worry about possible changes, just enjoy it.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I put off replacing Polo Green in my wardrobe because of MR, which i have used since last July. MR is a worthy frag, no doubt. I actually love it. But i still feel a void where Green is concerned. That said, i will be getting Green soon (Thanks, OP, for making me put my money where my mouth is. Aaargh!!! ;-).
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Basenotes Plus

I still prefer the original classic to Modern Reserve. But I understand where DustB is coming from... wearing the latest or the popular is more common than you think. And as much respect as I have for Polo classic, I still can't rock it as well as other guys could..

Sur la Plage

Polo Green seems slightly different to me than it used to be. But I infinitely prefer it over the "neutered" version known as Polo Modern Reserve.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    It smells the same to me today as it has since the early 80s when i first used it. If it has been reformulated, then it is a "good" reformulation.
    +1 Same thing for me.