Code of Conduct

Default What is it about Envy, Carven Homme, Versus, etc. that is getting to me?

I'm guessing that the combination of amber, wood, and spices (possibly with a floral element) is what's doing it. Even smelling the sprayer to these types of frags is making me nauseous these days. It's like the back of my nose feels like it's getting pierced and widened. Perhaps the amber adds the rubbery fullness while the wood and spice provide the piercing quality. In any case, does anyone else have this problem with these kinds of frags (ST Dupont Signature is another one)? And if so, what do you think is causing it?
    Last edited by Bigsly; 30th January 2010 at 08:55 PM.

Default Re: What is it about Envy, Carven Homme, Versus, etc. that is getting to me?

I don't know about the others you mentioned, Bigsly, but I get what you mean about Envy. The opening notes are quite pleasant, but it rapidly descends into this pungent mess of sweet, rotting wood. It's one of the very few frags that I find nauseating.

Unfortunately I recently bought Polo Explorer. Blind, but cheap and only 40ml. Very similar vibe happening there too.

Default Re: What is it about Envy, Carven Homme, Versus, etc. that is getting to me?

What surprised me is that Pino Silvestre didn't bother me, and that clearly has cedar and amber in the base, but not the spices, so that's why I think if spices are added, it can become overwhelming.

Okay, I tried a tiny spritz of Explorer from an official sample. Though the top was different, the drydown was quite similar to Adidas Victory League! Basically, it's a grassy cedar with a little vanilla. The overall effect is what I think of as syrupy, and I can certainly see how that could irritate a lot of people. I think I can now "look past" the syrupy quality because I like the drydown (the syrupy quality eventually wears off, to a large degree). The Envy for men type frags, on the other hand, have this back of the nose, piercing quality to me, whereas the syrupy effect is "up front" and I think that's the reason I can largely ignore it for a while.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 31st January 2010 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I'm guessing that the combination of amber, wood, and spices (possibly with a floral element) is what's doing it. Even smelling the sprayer to these types of frags is making me nauseous these days. It's like the back of my nose feels like it's getting pierced and widened. Perhaps the amber adds the rubbery fullness while the wood and spice provide the piercing quality. In any case, does anyone else have this problem with these kinds of frags (ST Dupont Signature is another one)? And if so, what do you think is causing it?
    I suppose it could be the combination of the 3 ( amber, woods and spices). But wouldn't that include a whole wack of other fragrances ? By that, I mean there would be alot of fragrances you would dislike. I thought it was just the strong blast of lavender that you couldn't deal with ( at least with Carven Homme) ?

With regards to St. Dupont Signature pour Homme, I do see where you are comming from in regards to the piercing aspect. I think it is the spice, which to me, feels like black pepper. I feel it, along with the wood notes, give Signature pour Homme a piercing quality. Although when one person feels those notes are piercing their nostrils, another person ( me in this case) just feels those notes are just comming to the forefront of the fragrance and adding to it ( by really standing out). I do enjoy Signature pour Homme.

I would be curious as to how you feel about Cacharel Nemo and Gucci pour Homme (2003).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Yes, that's why it's strange. I have no problem with Gucci PH, or a more similar frag (IMO), such as Nicole Miller for Men. I've also noticed this sensitivity issue with some women's frags, such as the original Prada (though it's not quite as bad with that one). I don't mind sharp notes, even lavender (it's the creamy lavender that seems to bother me most, as in the typical fougere), but like I said, it's almost as if this accord lodges in the back of my nose and then starts to widen, and then I feel as if I'm going to get a headache. When I first sampled Versus, I liked it, and barely noticed this irritating quality. Then I didn't wear it for nearly a month, and when I got back to it, the problem was there, in full force! Never tried Nemo.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 31st January 2010 at 04:26 AM.

I'm still with you here! It's definitely NOT the wood that bothers me. I recently waxed lyrical about the beauty of the cedar in Equus. I really appreciate wood when it's well done. It's the sweetness and, perhaps, the spices that get to me. That 'piercing' note you mention I also get in spades from Arpege PH, although it's very different fragrance, but I can't abide it either. I certainly don't mind Gucci PH. Even Boss Bottled could be described as a 'sweet woods' and I quite like that!
    I think I'm digging a hole for myself now...

I really wouldn't think in such general terms such as amber, spices, woods.. it's more likely a specific aroma chemical or two that are bothering you. Unfortunately, if that's the case, it's quite likely that there'll be seemingly little rhyme or reason to those that bother you compared to those that don't.

Also, if you've noticed that this has just started happening again recently I have a strange theory of what it could be. I think winter-induced chemical sensitivity can be caused by vitamin d deficiency, and can be remedied by taking cod liver oil and getting 500% (the 100% RDA value is old and new research suggests more, possibly much more, is actually ideal) or so of the RDA of vitamin D for a couple weeks. There are numerous links between vit. d deficiency and things like back pain and fibromyalgia, which along with my personal experience suggest to me that chemical sensitivity might also be a response to a rather severe deficiency.

I know that with winter and working third shift, I was extremely deficient. I now take copious quantities of cod liver oil daily. Within a month of starting this new regimen I felt like a new man. Seasonal depression was eliminated, my back pain from my scoliosis was greatly reduced, teeth sensitivity completely vanished, and my inability to deal with certain aroma chemicals (eg: something in TdH - not the iso e however) vanished as well. Just a thought, as I know you've mentioned chemical sensitivity in the past.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 31st January 2010 at 05:09 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

There is something about Carven Homme that bothers me too -- but I haven't researched much on that. I wear Carven Homme too infrequently for that.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Perhaps they all have some lavender in them too, and that, combined with the amber, wood, and spice, is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I really wouldn't think in such general terms such as amber, spices, woods.. it's more likely a specific aroma chemical or two that are bothering you. Unfortunately, if that's the case, it's quite likely that there'll be seemingly little rhyme or reason to those that bother you compared to those that don't.

Also, if you've noticed that this has just started happening again recently I have a strange theory of what it could be. I think winter-induced chemical sensitivity can be caused by vitamin d deficiency, and can be remedied by taking cod liver oil and getting 500% (the 100% RDA value is old and new research suggests more, possibly much more, is actually ideal) or so of the RDA of vitamin D for a couple weeks. There are numerous links between vit. d deficiency and things like back pain and fibromyalgia, which along with my personal experience suggest to me that chemical sensitivity might also be a response to a rather severe deficiency.

I know that with winter and working third shift, I was extremely deficient. I now take copious quantities of cod liver oil daily. Within a month of starting this new regimen I felt like a new man. Seasonal depression was eliminated, my back pain from my scoliosis was greatly reduced, teeth sensitivity completely vanished, and my inability to deal with certain aroma chemicals (eg: something in TdH - not the iso e however) vanished as well. Just a thought, as I know you've mentioned chemical sensitivity in the past.
    Interesting ! But is that "specific aroma chemical" listed on the box, or something a person cannot find out ?
    Last edited by Surfacing; 31st January 2010 at 05:19 AM.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Surfacing,

It could be listed on the box if it is a known (skin) allergen or sensitizer. There are many chemicals though that may cause adverse reactions, neurological or otherwise, that need not be listed on the packaging. ISO E Super is a perfect example of that; many people have reactions to it and yet it doesn't currently need to (and hence never does) appear on the packaging.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 31st January 2010 at 05:27 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Surfacing,

It could be listed on the box if it is a known (skin) allergen or sensitizer. There are many chemicals though that may cause adverse reactions, neurological or otherwise, that need not be listed on the packaging. ISO E Super is a perfect example of that; many people have reactions to it and yet it doesn't currently need to (and hence never does) appear on the packaging.
    Thanks for the response SoS. So this will be a trial and error thing. Thats alright, although I was thinking there would be a method for me to figure out whether or not a specific fragrance may work or not. ISO E Super sometimes does not work at all for me. Examples being Terre d'Hermes and Encre Noire. Both I find are highly irritating during the course of a SotD. But alot of vetiver fragrances seem to bother me and I also don't like the smell of vetiver in fragrances ( 75% of the time).

But then Cartier Declaration and several other fragrances have ISO E Super in it and I find it quite enjoyable to wear on a hot day. So I suppose there may be the amount of ISO E Super put in the fragrance.

More HERE
    Please PM me !