Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Chamade as Unisex

I just went to the Guerlain counter. I was sampling all the different Guerlain fragrances I don't have. I sprayed Chamade on a blotter and was really amazed at how unisex it smelled to me. I had always remembered Chamade as being a very feminine floral. Not at all. This smells very modern and almost niche to my nose. There is a wonderful green punch out of the gate that slowly dries down to a soft oriental, passing through a very green hyacinth/black current middle note. I don't know why I have always passed this one over before. This is a great fragrance on my skin.

Anyone else wear Chamade, or do you think it is too feminine?

Default Re: Guerlain Chamade as Unisex

My wife likes it, but I could never wear it. I do wear Chamade Pour Homme which I had picked up in Paris last year at the Guerlain boutique, and I like that a lot.

I don't own it, but it's similar to Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere on me. I think both actually work as masculines. Definitely unisex. The vanilla drydown (as with most Guerlains) is fantastic.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

I own and wear all 3 concentrations of Chamade; EDT, PDT, and parfum. I have had at least 3 men tell me that I smelled wonderful in it and that it did not smell feminine on me. I agree on the basis of my experience that it is an awesome unisex fragrance.

I think it would make a great masculine also. It shares a "vibe" with Cristalle EDP and PdN Le Temps d'Une Fete. I think it is because the daffodil in Chamade seems almost herbal to my nose. Definitely on the "green" side of floral!

Basenotes Institution

I love it, but I cannot wear it - I think a woman I worked with (many years ago) must have worn this as her signature scent and wearing it, the olfactory association is just too strong for me to pull it off comfortably.

It didn't work for me, but another Basenoter I know wears Chamade and it is quite masculine on him.

I wear Chamade parfum and like it a lot.

Hello,
    i have vintage chamade 1970 bottle.
    it smells mutch deeper and richer then the curent one.
    but i do agree with you that it does smell as an unisex perfume.
    I dont think of it as too feminine.

Sur la Plage

I have not tried Chamade, but I will next time I am fragrance sampling - and will form an opinion after I have actually tried it on my own skin.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I gave it a try (on a piece of paper) a couple months ago. I seemed to be getting, similar to what happens when I try Cristalle, what I consider to be a feminine vibe. This may be the result of conditioning living in a perfume wearing population, though. Perhaps I should give it another try.

I really like to wear Chamade, too. The EDT is quite strong and lasts a good while; it dries down to a lightly spiced vanilla.

I don't find this too feminine at all. For one thing, it's extremely DRY and these days "feminine" perfumes tend to be extremely sweet. For another, while it does have florals, it does not prominantly feature rose or jasmine, which often come across as too feminine. The hyacinth is much more gender neutral. I wear this as parfum and people seem to love it, and I'm never the slightest bit uncomfortable.

I know N_Tesla has tried this. Try to find his thread in the women's forum.

EDIT: Here is the link:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/206...ge20?p=1728693
    Last edited by Primrose; 20th March 2010 at 03:58 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.