Code of Conduct

Default Varvatos Artisan Black to be released in upcoming months...

I was walking through the fragrance section of one of the department stores in downtown Toronto the other day. As I passed the John Varvatos counter, a small atomizer caught my eye, and for some reason I decided to enquire about it. The SA told me that is the unreleased Artisan Black by John Varvatos. He didn't know the actual release date but showed me pictures of the bottle to be released. Same style and shape as the original Artisan, but all black, which made it look very interesting. The scent itself is very pleasant as I got a whiff from the small decant. Definite similarity to the orignal, but obviously deeper, richer. Perhaps an oriental version of it. I really liked it, but I also really loved the orignal on first whiff, but then became easily tired of it after buying it on impulse. Has anyone else encounterd Artisan Black? Impressions?

Default Re: Varvatos Artisan Black to be released in upcoming months...

Thanks for the info.....The JV scents smell good, they just don't keep my attention.....This might be one that does.....we'll see.....Thanks again.
    Gary

I'm definitely in the minority; however Artisan went well with my body chemistry. On my friend, it went flat and smelled like dish detergent or something. I lucked out, got his bottle, still loving it.

This intrigues me - I just hope they worked out the longevity.

Def curious about this one. I've been very close to buying artisan and the original jv.

You...have....got...to...be....kidding me! Come on people! This flanker BS is getting ridiculous. Artisan Black!? The first fragrance was marketed as, and smelled the polar opposite of anything black, it was bright and upbeat. This just PROVES (as if we didn't already know) that it's all about the money, what other reason to slap "Black" onto a fragrance that was as far away from dark as you can get?
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 10th March 2010 at 12:41 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    You...have....got...to...be....kidding me! Come on people! This flanker BS is getting ridiculous. Artisan Black!? The first fragrance was marketed as, and smelled the polar opposite of anything black, it was bright and upbeat. This just PROVES (as if we didn't already know) that it's all about the money, what other reason to slap "Black" onto a fragrance that was as far away from dark as you can get?
    I haven't smelled any designer fragrance called 'black' that actually reminded me of anything dark, deep or black. Except maybe Bulgari Black. Your Polo black and double black are boring, fruity affairs which are pretty much what Varvatos, Vintage and Artisan are already. What more could they do to Varvatos fragrances to make them 'black'? They're already black as defined by the designer fragrance world.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 10th March 2010 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    I haven't smelled any designer fragrance called 'black' that actually reminded me of anything dark, deep or black.
    Ever tried Mazzolari Lui ?

Although I can't say this smells like a very 'dark' scent, it really is a very nice take on the original, and I find it much more interesting. I can't wait for its release.

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Ever tried Mazzolari Lui ?
    But that's niche and it's not called 'black' so I'm not sure how that fits?

What more could they do to Varvatos fragrances to make them 'black'
    Well they'll take the wicker that encases the Artisan bottle and dye it black, they'll be sure the box is black, and they'll add a bit of anise to the juice and, Voilà!, it is now OFFICIALLY "Black."
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 10th March 2010 at 02:38 AM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

you can get it online.
    as well as gucci by gucci sport
    Check out my YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JRWRlTER

Blog Entries

I've wanted to like a Varvatos fragrance but none of them have struck me as significant. I don't expect a flanker of a flanker to be the one that does it.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    I've wanted to like a Varvatos fragrance but none of them have struck me as significant. I don't expect a flanker of a flanker to be the one that does it.
    My thoughts exactly. I will try it, but am not expecting much based on the rest of the line.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Where online can Artisan Black be found????

I haven't smelled any designer fragrance called 'black' that actually reminded me of anything dark, deep or black.
    encre noire...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    Well, to be fair Artisan was released five years after the original John Varvatos and I don't think was meant to be a spinoff of the original scent at all, so technically this is simply a "flanker" and not a "flanker of a flanker." I think Artisan is distinct enough to stand on its own apart from the other Varvatos offerings. I do get what you're saying though.

I understand the cynicism over the whole "black" business - it is definitely an overused and almost never appropriate name meant to lend a "mysterious" aura that the scent itself does not actually possess. However, I am a pretty big fan of the original JV so I think this one will warrant a sniff the next time I'm at Macy's.

Blog Entries

There aren't many notes in perfumery that elicit thoughts of black, if we can give synesthesia a ride here. Wormwood, anise, and real vetiver are all quite pungent and black-ish (of course green also seems a reasonable association), they're also largely unpalatable unless expertly handled and for the most part mainstream fragrance has little desire for, say, a wormwood-dominant frag. So we get stuff like Polo Black and Double Black, not bashing PDB on it's scent merits but I think the name is a bit suspect.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I don't think Artisan is, or should be, considered a flanker. It has nothing to do with the original scent, nor did Vintage. Totally different scents that shared a common bottle style. Rock Vol. 1 is a flanker.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

I agree with petruccijc

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    Well they'll take the wicker that encases the Artisan bottle and dye it black, they'll be sure the box is black, and they'll add a bit of anise to the juice and, Voilà!, it is now OFFICIALLY "Black."
    Hah, me like

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Has anyone gotten to try this yet?

It was at Saks. I got it because I like previous Varvatos release, and I had a gift certificate. It is a nice citrus scent. Again, nothing groundbreaking. Not sure what is so "black" about it. Hope more people sniff this so they can explain it to me

From The Scented Salamander:

"According to WWD, the scent has "top notes of tangerine, Meyer lemon, Italian blood orange and Givaudan's captive calypsone. The heart of the scent features Murraya flower, Tunisian neroli, Moroccan orange flower templar, Indian sambac absolute, Nigerian ginger, purple ginger, cardamom absolute and coriander seeds. And, in the base of the scent are notes of Kephalis, Belambre, Boisiris, Serenolide, Vetyvert CO2 extract, patchouli Singapore Orpur, Mexican cueramo, soft leather and Florentine orris absolute."

Looks like it's only available in a 4.2 oz for now, and will be a limited edition. Currently a Saks exclusive as mentioned earlier, but will be in wider distribution by April 1st. Anyway, I love the original Artisan - it's my standard work scent. Hopefully this one is good too!
    Last edited by MFfan310; 21st March 2010 at 03:23 PM.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Sur la Plage

I thought Artisan was one of the worst releases in the past few years. I would rank Artisan Black right up there with the original. Nasty.....
    Last edited by petruccijc; 28th March 2010 at 03:51 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I just picked this up at Nordstroms in Walnut Creek today after trying it in SF at the Varvatos store. Love it! A really awesome citrus scent that seems like it would go well in all weather.

Blog Entries

i've always dug Varvatos scents.....Vintage is still one of the only 'mainstream' fragrances that really does it for me. I never bought the Artisian, because i thought Porsche Design Essence did the same sort of citrus journey, only much better....but i'm definitely interested in the Artisian Black!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabel View Post
    I just picked this up at Nordstroms in Walnut Creek today after trying it in SF at the Varvatos store. Love it! A really awesome citrus scent that seems like it would go well in all weather.
    I had them make me a spray sample from my local Nordstroms last night. It smelt great on the tester strip I thought. It opens with a darker citrus, almost like that of Jo Malones Fig & Cassis Cologne, it's sharp but not bright. 5 minutes later it's already mellowed down to it's dark green and floral heart notes.

Anyway, I'm wearing it at work this morning and I sprayed it on 35 minutes ago. It is super clean and transparent to my nose, almost more so than Bulgari Pour Homme. It might just be a scent the wearer can't perceive after a while or it might have a similar longevity problem like Artisan.
    Yo Jabel, what is your experience so far?
    Last edited by FlexYoFace; 31st March 2010 at 12:58 PM.

I wore it yesterday and it was just like you described. After about an hour it was very mellow but still vaguely present to my nose. It was mid 60's yesterday so I think in warmer weather it will be a real winner.

I picked up a sample of Artisan Black at Nordstrom and wore it yesterday for the first time. I liked the original Artisan, except for its problem with longevity. The initial blast upon application is very citrusy, but within minutes the fragrance begins to mellow out. Oddly enough, about 15 minutes after application, I was detected something much more earthy than the original, almost reminiscent of Terre d'Hermes (which I adore). This, too, evolved into something more woodsy and citrusy yet very energizing and pleasant.

I am happy to say the longevity issue of the original Artisan release has been resolved -- 2 squirts and 9 hours later, it was still detectable and crisp/clean while earthy. Not sure "earthy" equates to "black" -- the additional neroli, ginger and vetyvert notes are definitely present, but I'm not sure I'd call this "black". In any case, I went back to Nordstrom's last night and bought a bottle, which I have to say looks stunning on the dresser next to the original Artisan!
    Last edited by Olfactor; 6th April 2010 at 02:36 PM.

I just sampled this at Sephora in Chicago... total dish detergent on me!

Quote Originally Posted by the_tourist View Post
    I just sampled this at Sephora in Chicago... total dish detergent on me!
    What would Madge from the Palmolive ads say about this fragrance?
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."