Code of Conduct

Default I don't like Terre d'Hermes in the cold--will spring/summer be better?

I recently purchased TdH and was excited. So far I have found it a little unpleasant in the cold, especially here in New England. I want it to be a great summer scent because I don't like overly fresh, clean scents, but I'm ambivalent because so far I have found it a bit dry. I wear it and never really enjoy it much, but strangely, I find myself missing the scent once its gone. Will the warmer weather really improve this one as some people say, or is this just a scent I won't like?

Default Re: I don't like Terre d'Hermes in the cold--will spring/summer be better?

Spray it on your wrist.
    Let it sit for 2 or 3 hours.
    Exhale hot air onto your wrist.
    Wait 1 second.
    Smell your wrist.
    That's how it will smell in the heat.

(I do this whenever I want to fully enjoy my Monsieur Balmain in the winter)

Default Re: I don't like Terre d'Hermes in the cold--will spring/summer be better?

It's impossible for any of us to say what you'll like when or where, Davedude. I think you've only got the option of waiting for the weather and seeing how the scent goes then.

Otherwise, when you note that you don't have it on, I think you're illustrating a point that we become accustomed to a particular scent on us when we wear it consistently, and that it starts to smell like the normal "us." If that's so, it's a pleasure to wear the scent no matter what the time or weather I think. So you should live in it and enjoy the new normalcy. If you wanna, I mean.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

When I did like it (and I don't any more), I preferred it in summer heat.

I wore it yesterday and I enjoyed it the whole day (and I'm in cold Ohio...).
    It's longevity is superb (I wore the EDP version).
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Thanks. I guess I'll wait this one out and see how it holds up when it gets warmer (if it ever does around here...). I have found I've enjoyed it when I'm in a warmer atmosphere, even if it's inside (kind of like what Spray said).
    Last edited by davedude11; 31st January 2010 at 07:36 PM.

I find it evolves better in heat. In the cold its a bit 'flat.' I have the same thing with Live Jazz.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I just got a hold of some and have enjoyed it well enough in the cold (Wisconsin), but I'm looking forward to it in the heat as well.

do you have the EdT?

you might wanna check out the parfum version, which is in my eyes more suitable for colder weather

It is 100 times better in the heat... It's a great frag. i live in NY and in the winter cold and dryness it just dosn't work. but when summer comes it will be amazing

Blog Entries

I wore it on a winter night a couple years back and it was nice, but I suppose my skin wasn't moisturized enough, so I got sharp bitter orange instead and it died pretty fast. A few months later, I finished the rest of my sample during when spring started and during the day. It was nice and sunny outside, about 67-70 degrees by noon. I remembered walking outside during my lunch break in the middle of San Francisco and the mineral notes started to really warm me up with the sun. It took on a different character when the weather was a little warmer.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 1st February 2010 at 07:45 AM.

I think I might be the only person who doesn't like Terre d'Hermes. It's not a bad scent but it's very dry and uninviting for me, no matter how warm or cold it is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladdypwnz View Post
    I think I might be the only person who doesn't like Terre d'Hermes. It's not a bad scent but it's very dry and uninviting for me, no matter how warm or cold it is.
    Oh, no, there's plenty of us who don't think TdH is the best thing since sliced bread. I don't own a bottle because it doesn't suit me. I like it and I think it's a solid fragrance, but I just don't feel the need to rock some Terre D'Hermes.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 1st February 2010 at 07:55 AM.

I don't really eschew this frag in Winter, though instead I find it Felicitous in all perennial conditions, I love it! It's a cheap cognate from that of French Lover By Frederic Malle, It's notes are an inch off French Lovers Complexity...though Terre'D makes up for French Lover severely by it's pricetag!

Loving it!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    Oh, no, there's plenty of us who don't think TdH is the best thing since sliced bread. I don't own a bottle because it doesn't suit me. I like it and I think it's a solid fragrance, but I just don't feel the need to rock some Terre D'Hermes.
    Now let your shoulder leeeeeean

Well, warm weather has arrived (at least for a while), and I must say I really enjoy it now. I am glad I stuck it out and didn't get rid of it. Its cold austerity in winter does begin to come alive now. Nevertheless, although many consider it a year-round scent, I think I will stick with it only in 60 degree weather or warmer, the warmer the better.