Code of Conduct

Default New Haarlem appreciation thread

This scent is awesome. It's somewhat like Angel Men but tamer, more concise and more masculine. Nevermind the obscene price tag.

Does anyone know how popular this frag is? I love it.

Default Re: New Haarlem appreciation thread

it's on my wish list, i'll try to find a sample/decant soon.
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

It's much more refined than A*Men, I've got to give it that. It'd be a bigger hit if it were priced better I think.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Sur la Plage

I appreciate it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I love New Haarlem! It's well up in my Top 10 - it is complex, refined and works well in many situations both formal & casual. It has good sillage and amazing longevity due to the generous use of essential oils. I use it very sparingly due to the eye-watering price tag but its power means a little goes a very, very long way!

I'm yet to find another Bond which excites me but they've stumbled upon a future classic with New Haarlem - it rules!!

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    I love New Haarlem! It's well up in my Top 10 - it is complex, refined and works well in many situations both formal & casual. It has good sillage and amazing longevity due to the generous use of essential oils. I use it very sparingly due to the eye-watering price tag but its power means a little goes a very, very long way!

I'm yet to find another Bond which excites me but they've stumbled upon a future classic with New Haarlem - it rules!!
    What is the source of your information, if I may ask?

After trying a sample from Joe I had to get a bottle and it's here with me. Sillage and longevity are excellent, let alone the scent itself.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    What is the source of your information, if I may ask?
    Hi Gupts

I've spoken to Bond No.9 representatives at both Harrods in London and Saks in San Francisco and was told (hopefully truthfully!!) that all Bond No.9 fragrances contain 18 - 22% perfume oils in their composition.

Sniffapalooza Magazine has published various articles on Bond No.9 in the past including one on the Andy Warhol Silver Factory fragrance, the extract from which below backs up these figures:

Decadent? Yes, Bond’s new creation is indeed decadent – but it favors the more luxurious aspect of the word. It is luxuriously priced at $230 for a 100 ml bottle making it the most expensive Bond creation to date. The reason? Bond has never been shy about their perfumes – they are very quick to tell you the percentage of perfume oil in their eau de parfums – much higher than other fragrance companies. With Silver Factory, however, Bond has gone above and beyond their standard, already high percentage of 22 percent to make Silver Factory a 28 percent concentration. They are calling it just that, in fact – a Perfume Concentrate

When applying Bond No.9 fragrances they are noticably oily on the skin and are very difficult to wash off! The gentleman in Harrods warned me not to spray directly on to clothing as he said the fragrance would cause oily stains which were difficult to remove!!

Anyway, all that sounded like some kind of Bond promo!! I've got to say, whilst I find New Haarlem to be excellent and highly addictive, I'm yet to find another Bond fragrance I like a quarter as much...!

Bond No. 9 = overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Young Dro View Post
    Bond No. 9 = overrated
    Bond No. 9 New Haarlem = underrated, if anything.

People love to rag on Bond. I agree that I dont enjoy the majority of their line, but New Haarlem is the exception. I am a big fan of gourmands and have tried everything I can get my hands on. NH is still at the very top of my list and, in my opinion at least, is probably the finest gourmand ever created.
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 1st February 2010 at 03:41 PM.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Its one of my favorite Bonds also!
    Last edited by chipper; 1st February 2010 at 03:44 PM.
    SALE:Bond no.9, Armani Code Summer, Prada, Kenzo, Amouage...more!!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/310...o-Amouage-more!!

Look at my signature to see how much I appreciate this scent. BTW, Rochas Man is very similar to New Haarlem - although, given the choice, I reach for NH every time.
    someone please stop me from buying more cologne.

top five: 1) Creed Vintage Tabarome 2) Creed Windsor 2) Serge Lutens Chergui 3) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 5) MFK Lumiére Noire Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Midiguru View Post
    Look at my signature to see how much I appreciate this scent. BTW, Rochas Man is very similar to New Haarlem - although, given the choice, I reach for NH every time.
    I know it isn't always that easy to explain, but what are, according to you, the main differences between NH and RM?
    Considering the price tag, I much prefer RM...
    Last edited by Desmond Hume; 1st February 2010 at 03:59 PM.

I find Rochas Man to be a bit sweeter, and lighter and less aggressive than New Harleem. It also contains a prominent vanilla note, that is toned way down in NH.
    But, the two are similar and they both were done by Maurice Roucel. How do these guys get away with it?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 1st February 2010 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks

I think the best way of putting it into proper perspective would be to say that Rochas Man is to New Haarlem what Cool Water is to Green Irish Tweed.

- Brad
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post

People love to rag on Bond. I agree that I dont enjoy the majority of their line, but New Haarlem is the exception. I am a big fan of gourmands and have tried everything I can get my hands on. NH is still at the very top of my list and, in my opinion at least, is probably the finest gourmand ever created.
    Count me in the group who likes to rag about it then.

So you don't enjoy the majority of the line, yet it's, in your opinion, underrated?

New Haarlem is just another of those scents which Bond No. 9 copied and put up a huge price tag on, which is absurd since it's not worth my $250 or even, $275, which is the price here.

I'm a fan of gourmands too, but I'll pas this one

+1 on both accounts. Ie I think most of the line isn't great and the prices are too high IMO to really want to buy any of them, but NH is one of a few that stand out and if you/me had the money and didn't care about price would be worth getting.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 1st February 2010 at 05:25 PM.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I think the best way of putting it into proper perspective would be to say that Rochas Man is to New Haarlem what Cool Water is to Green Irish Tweed. - Brad
    Well put, Brad!

Count me in the group who likes to rag about it then.

So you don't enjoy the majority of the line, yet it's, in your opinion, underrated?

New Haarlem is just another of those scents which Bond No. 9 copied and put up a huge price tag on, which is absurd since it's not worth my $250 or even, $275, which is the price here.

I'm a fan of gourmands too, but I'll pas this one
    First of all, the thread is called "New Haarlem Appreciation Thread". It has nothing to do with whether Bond is overrated or underrated as a house.

Second, although you're entitled to your opinion, it's a bit of a stretch to say that New Haarlem is a "copy" of anything.

Third, feel free to take a pass on NH. I don't think Bond, or us NH fans, will take offense.
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 1st February 2010 at 06:27 PM.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Being the Big Bond Fan that I am.....This is one that I Love but have not purchased.....A Fantastic scent for sure.....The cost has to be a big factor right now with this economy.....One that I will have some day.....Gary

First of all, the thread is called "New Haarlem Appreciation Thread". It has nothing to do with whether Bond is overrated or underrated as a house.

Second, although you're entitled to your opinion, it's a bit of a stretch to say that New Haarlem is a "copy" of anything.

Third, feel free to take a pass on NH. I don't think Bond, or us NH fans, will take offense.
    Says the one who said it's underrated

Says the one who said it's underrated
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and attribute your misunderstanding of my comments to the language barrier and/or immaturity on your part. In your short time on Basenotes, I've seen you make disparaging comments towards others and I refuse to engage you in some ridiculous argument that I don't care about.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Very mature of you, WindyCity1014, show the board what you are made of, congrats, unfortunately you won't get any bonus points with it

Please show me some disparaging comments I made on here, I'm sure the people are angry at me for my so called ''Immature behaviour''

It's one of the few Bond scents I do appreciate, but I still find too much overly sweet "hard candy"/"grape candy" in the blend, that disrupts the wonderful coffee, spice, and chocalate theme.

New Haarlem is one of a very few that I like enough to order another bottle when I ran out of the first one. Usually I'm tired of a scent before I ever finish a bottle. It's my only Bond frag. Much appreciated.

Basenotes Plus

Just curious, Young Dro...what scent is New Haarlem a copy of?

I love it. Replaced Angel Pure Coffee for me - which turned somewhat bitter on me - for this which smooths out to a good vanilla and slight musk on me. The initial, metallic coffee smell invigorates me, but quickly goes to the notes that I enjoy.

I used to appreciate it more than I do now. It used to be the best gourmand scent I had smelled. I now rank at least three higher. In a head to head competition of coffee-gourmands I vastly prefer Penhaligons Endymion, and my favorite overall gourmand is Frapin 1270. The other I'd rank ahead is Parfumerie Generale Aomassai.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

This is a very warm and cozy scent. The only Bond No. 9 I have a full bottle of.
    Evenstar

tried yesterday for first time...
    awesome..
    very decent gourmand, fancy, elegant.. IMO is similar to Rochas Man but fancy, elegant and more wearable
    i want a bottle

After reading many raves on BN I had to try New Haarlem. So last weekend I sniffed it on a test strip. It seemed a little too heavy on the card; reminded me of the smell of Starbucks mocha, as if you've spilled it on you.

Still very curious though, especially after reading this thread. So, tell me: I'm guessing it's better on skin, right?

Incidentally, I like Rochas Man. Bought a bottle about three weeks ago. If I like Rochas Man, I should love, New Haarlem, correct?
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 20th March 2010 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I'm guessing it's better on skin, right?
    YES!

Incidentally, I like Rochas Man. Bought a bottle about three weeks ago. If I like Rochas Man, I should love, New Haarlem, correct?
    They're very similar but New Harleem is better IMO..

had finally picked this fragrance up a few days ago as my 1st bond. it was definantly the 1 that caught my attention when i was sampling them all over a few trips to saks. but im also really into just how cleaner this is compared to pure coffee. i'll still probably give all the various coffees equal time as ive got a handful of them i really like that are near the top of my list

I'll be honest, I had a phase were I wore A*Men like five times a week over the winter, and now it kinda makes me a little sick. Now I've moved on to New Haarlem, It's the sophisticated, refined, matured version of A*Men, and it doesn't make me sick.
    Live a wonderfully perfumed life!

Im very curious about the Bond line but never tried it , anywhere in the UK other than Harrods stock it

I would say yes. I have done a small test and they are quite similar. I think what holds it back a bit is indeed that it is so similar to RM, that many would rather pay the lower price. I would readily believe people who have used both and find NH better made and longer lasting. For me, it comes down to the amount of priority on having a scent like this. I like a gourmand scent every so often, but not enough to merit my purchase of Bond New Haarlem.

New Haarlem is a great scent and it wears even better on the skin. Although, the price tag is pretty steep and I'd choose Rochas Man over it due to it being about 5x cheaper. For that price I could purchase about 5 other scents that I also enjoy. Then again, I'm a college student and I don't think spending $230 on a perfume to be justified.

Regardless, Bond No.9 is still a great scent and may be the only one of Bond No. 9's creations that I would possibly be willing to purchase given I have the money to do so.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I now rank at least three higher. In a head to head competition of coffee-gourmands I vastly prefer Penhaligons Endymion, and my favorite overall gourmand is Frapin 1270. The other I'd rank ahead is Parfumerie Generale Aomassai.
    I've got Endymion. I'll have to try the other two.

how would one spray this if working in a small office? i dont want to suffocate everyone. when i say small think a 2 bed apt size.

thanks

I'm not a fan of this type of scent, but can definitely appreciate the quality of New Haarlem. I imagine ladies would probably love it too.

I sampled a fragrance yesterday by Hilde Soliani called CiocoSpezissimo which, in my opinion, offers a lot more than A*men, New Haarlem and Rochas man (etc.). I would recommend people try this one!

+1 for CiocoSpezissimo. I also enjoyed Bell’Antonio.
    Last edited by neal; 20th June 2010 at 06:10 PM.

This is the best Bond no. 9 IMO, and one of the best gourmand scents ever. I will eventually own a bottle unless Rochas man smells similar. (Still have to test that one)
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

It's a masterpiece. It's a panty dropper. Mindfully applied, it rarely offends.

If I was a corporate drone, I would probably not wear it; it just doesn't evoke business (unless it's coffee). If I looked like a Highlander from Braveheart or a member of Hell's Angels, I probably wouldn't wear it either. It's a bit metrosexual.