Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: BMM10 Selection Show! Will your selections make the big dance?

Interesting premise, SoS. My biggest issue with that is the additional time required for me to tally up the votes. Round 1 is 32 matchups, and an average matchup will be about 100 votes per match. That's around 3200 entries to go through, and last year I was doing about all I could getting here at the same time midnight every day to post the new poll for the day and record the previous day's scores. It's a cool idea but quite labor intensive, especially with the amount of games to be played.

EDIT: There is a vBulletin addon called vBookie that would make this easier but Grant doesn't have it on here, I can't really ask him to modify the forum for a one month ordeal, and I'm not sure if it supports VB4.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 4th February 2010 at 10:13 PM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Well, if we trusted people to a) be honest and b) not make mistakes, you could simply make polls like the following:

Vote 5 points for A
    Vote 10 points for A
    Vote 15 points for A
    Vote 20 points for A
    ...etc
    ------------------
    Vote 5 points for B
    Vote 10 points for B
    ...etc.

Of course, to be sure you'd have to cross check different threads and make sure people weren't spending more points than they have. :|

I'm trying to think of a way, perhaps even some website or something outside of basenotes, that would facilitate the process and make it easy.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 4th February 2010 at 10:12 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Well, if we trusted people to a) be honest and b) not make mistakes, you could simply make polls like the following:

Vote 5 points for A
    Vote 10 points for A
    Vote 15 points for A
    Vote 20 points for A
    ...etc
    ------------------
    Vote 5 points for B
    Vote 10 points for B
    ...etc.

Of course, to be sure you'd have to cross check different threads and make sure people weren't spending more points than they have. :|

I'm trying to think of a way, perhaps even some website or something outside of basenotes, that would facilitate the process and make it easy.
    Well, part of the reason Grant puts up with the mass of BMM threads in March is that is all does stay on Basenotes, meaning advertisers get seen throughout the tournament. I wouldn't dream of having this extent past Basenotes and diverting traffic away from the advertisements that help this place stay alive. I'm not saying abandon the idea, but it either needs to be used on a smaller scale (perhaps a smaller tournament to decide which fragrances 'on the bubble' advance to BMM) or with the help of a plugin like vBookie, or totally standardized (ie, a copy-and-paste template that I can drop straight from the forum into Excel).

I may toy with it for next year's event, which I'm already working on.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

SoS, nerd alert!
    Interesting premise, though. And it's true; last year, I found myself not voting for rounds where I knew none of the scents. With weighed votes, those skipped matches wouldn't be lost since you could transfer the "points" to be spent to other matches.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    I debated with exactly that quite a bit, and came down on the reasoning that this is going on in men's discussion, and while I've got no problem in assisting the running of a women's tournament, my belief is that there are enough good competitive men's frags to run the field solely with them. I just don't think I have the time involved to run two separate tournaments, mens and womens.
    Oh, I didn't mean to push you into running two at the same time! I just wonder how they'd fare in the contest, especially given the general notion on BN that gender marketing is usually just that: marketing. You're right in that two separate contests might do more justice to the diversity of the playing field though.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

This tournament sounds cool, wasn't here last year so I'm looking forward to see that.
    I suggest L'Instant de Guerlain PH.

I'm going to have to go with the classic Polo Green.

Blog Entries

A lot of good suggestions so far, keep them coming! Eight more days and the field will be locked in, don't miss your chance.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Hooray for another exciting tournament! Great job of organizing, bluesoul!

So many great scents still have not made the field. Zino Davidoff. Le 3e Homme de Caron. Chanel Pour Monsieur. Hermés Equipage.

However, it would be a real travesty if Caron's Tabac Blond extrait parfum were not allowed to compete! I'll use my 1 suggestion to recommend this.

Blog Entries

Thanks for bringing this back to the top, I let it slide for a few days while I worked on getting the SoTY stuff dialed in.

I think I'll make a suggestion myself! If the randomness gods don't see to it that this one gets in, I may have to make it my personal selection despite not knowing a ton about it, and that would be L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme, the most-worn fragrance last week.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Blog Entries

Only a few more days to get your picks in, don't be left out!
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Blog Entries

I'm gonna be moving the deadline forward for this by one day, so you officially have until Saturday night to get your picks safely in, I'll be doing the drawing on Sunday and revealing the brackets then.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

I was really considering Yatagan, but I'm afraid it is too far out to stand a chance. Therefore I second the entry of Polo Green (original).

Blog Entries

Alrighty, not much time left!!

For my one and only suggestion: Le Labo Rose 31

Can't wait to see what happens!! Gonna be some interesting matchups...
    <3 ... I'm blind crazy in love... <3

Blog Entries

Okay, here are our lucky winners!

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Czech & Speake No. 88
    Creed Windsor
    Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
    Aramis Havana
    Giorgio Beverly Hills For Men
    Le Labo Rose 31
    Ralph Lauren Polo (Green)

And the finalized brackets look like...this!

(Click for full size.)

The brackets are done and this selection show is over, the prediction contest and schedule of games will be up soon!
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

OMG, C&S 88 against LL Rose 31!!!!!!!!

A tad bit disappointed that not a single Amouage or MPG is being represented while things like Windsor, which very few have or will be able to sample, are on the board. Other than that small gripe though, it's looking good.

Some very interesting match ups early on. TdH vs Windsor. Rose 31 vs No. 88. A battle of titans in K10 vs Musc Ravageur. GIT vs Mugler Cologne.

It's gonna get intense, fast!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    A tad bit disappointed that not a single Amouage or MPG is being represented while things like Windsor, which very few have or will be able to sample, are on the board. Other than that small gripe though, it's looking good.

Some very interesting match ups early on. TdH vs Windsor. Rose 31 vs No. 88. A battle of titans in K10 vs Musc Ravageur. GIT vs Mugler Cologne.

It's gonna get intense, fast!
    I hear you, there's always gonna be something worthy that doesn't make it in. Heck, I had about 5 I wanted to use my 1 pick on, and then when I saw what my matchup ended up being I regretted choosing Wall Street but fair is fair. This year I really wanted to try a totally random selection rather than hand-picking it, so you end up with a considerable underdog like Windsor in the mix. I'm constantly tweaking, modifying and hopefully improving the process so there's the most fun throughout the whole show, from Selection Sunday to The Final Spritz and beyond (hint, hint).
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

The one thing I don't really get is the rankings. I mean, it's one thing to use statistics it's another to base the entire thing in it. IMO, here are just a FEW examples of what I'm talking about:

Green Irish Tweed should be AT LEAST a 3 seed, for one it's the most popular scent from the most popular niche house.
    Mugler Cologne should also be higher IMO, at least a 5 seed.
    Givenchy Pi shouldn't even be on the list.
    And based solely on the polar opinion of A*Men, there's no way it should be a number 1.

I think next year, we should throw out the reviews and statistics and base the selections more on the current atmosphere of the forums, since those are the people most likely to vote.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I understand, Bluesoul. I hope you didn't feel that the gripe was aimed at you as it's not. I've nothing but respect and admiration for all the time and effort you've put into this. It was a ton of fun last year and should be even better this year. DOWN WITH HABIT ROUGE!!!!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    The one thing I don't really get is the rankings. I mean, it's one thing to use statistics it's another to base the entire thing in it. IMO, here are just a FEW examples of what I'm talking about:

Green Irish Tweed should be AT LEAST a 3 seed, for one it's the most popular scent from the most popular niche house.
    Mugler Cologne should also be higher IMO, at least a 5 seed.
    Givenchy Pi shouldn't even be on the list.
    And based solely on the polar opinion of A*Men, there's no way it should be a number 1.

I think next year, we should throw out the reviews and statistics and base the selections more on the current atmosphere of the forums, since those are the people most likely to vote.
    Well, there are three different ways to be a 1 seed, either you're the Most Worn, Most Owned, or Most Reviewed, and A*Men was the most owned that wasn't a duplicate (#4 overall). There actually was a bit of confusion over the seeding process this year but it was too late by the time I caught it, the idea was that wherever a frag was ranked highest would determine it's seed, and duplicates in the other datasets were eliminated. In practice this got confusing quick, I chose instead to prioritize them by what I felt was order of importance, so Most Worn, Most Owned, and Most Reviewed in that order. I didn't want the 16th most worn fragrance (Black Orchid) to not make it in because I had to make room for the 16th Most Reviewed, because I felt that what people are wearing now is more important than what's been reviewed over the last ten years. I apologize but I decided to go ahead and roll with what I had and try doing it right next year, with highest overall seeding determining the spot. There are some aspects of BMM that are pretty tightly modeled after the NCAA tournament and some that really aren't, the seeding is closer to the tightly modeled side, using data instead of personal preference.

I think using 3 different sets of data helps get a wider range of fragrances into the mix, this year we've got a better estimation of what people are really wearing.

Using data to determine seeding isn't going anywhere, but the plan is to use a different set of data every year, so we have some new entries every year.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 14th February 2010 at 06:59 PM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    Well, there are three different ways to be a 1 seed, either you're the Most Worn, Most Owned, or Most Reviewed, and A*Men was the most owned that wasn't a duplicate (#4 overall). There actually was a bit of confusion over the seeding process this year but it was too late by the time I caught it, the idea was that wherever a frag was ranked highest would determine it's seed, and duplicates in the other datasets were eliminated. In practice this got confusing quick, I chose instead to prioritize them by what I felt was order of importance, so Most Worn, Most Owned, and Most Reviewed in that order. I didn't want the 16th most worn fragrance (Black Orchid) to not make it in because I had to make room for the 16th Most Reviewed, because I felt that what people are wearing now is more important than what's been reviewed over the last ten years. I apologize but I decided to go ahead and roll with what I had and try doing it right next year, with highest overall seeding determining the spot. There are some aspects of BMM that are pretty tightly modeled after the NCAA tournament and some that really aren't, the seeding is closer to the tightly modeled side, using data instead of personal preference.

I think using 3 different sets of data helps get a wider range of fragrances into the mix, this year we've got a better estimation of what people are really wearing.

Using data to determine seeding isn't going anywhere, but the plan is to use a different set of data every year, so we have some new entries every year.
    I want to echo SOS in saying that I don't want to come off as criticizing you, but rather offering up ideas for next time. I didn't realize that you used the most worn statistic, which would then make sense to use. I don't really have any idea for how to do it better than you did, it just seems odd that some heavyweights are ranked so low and vice versa.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

No, no offense taken on either count, I know better than that. I like getting critiqued on this stuff, and suggestions and commentary are great; I make no suggestion that this is an exact science, there's a lot of spontaneity to offset the methodical stuff. Next time around I'm definitely going to be trying the "highest overall seed" method and see how that affects the brackets, as it stands every fragrance is seeded where it is because it was statistically ranked there in at least one category. I live and learn with this stuff.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp