Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default BMM10 Selection Show! Will your selections make the big dance?

Basenotes March Madness 2010

Pre-Game Selection Show

(Ends February 14th)

48 of the 65 berths for Basenotes March Madness 2010 have been locked in, and 17 remain!

What's Basenotes March Madness?

Basenotes March Madness, or BMM, is a perfume lover's take on the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament, a 65-team, single elimination tournament where only one team is left standing. Instead of basketballs we have bottles, and instead of two-pointers and free throws we've got your votes to decide who advances and who goes home.

How does it work?

Starting March 1st with the Play-In Game, there will be a new BMM10 thread every day with the day's games, in poll form. You choose who you'd like to see move to the next round. Your only criteria for voting is "Which of these 2 fragrances would you most like to see advance?" It could be that you love the fragrance, the sillage, the bottle, or just hate the competition. Usually there will be multiple games to one poll, up to 4 at a time in the early rounds.

What's the Selection Show?

I'm doing it a bit differently this year, I learned a lot from last year's event and this one will be even better. We're revealing the first 48 entries tonight, and giving you, the user, the chance to decide not one, not two but eight fragrances to make it into the tournament. You'll do that by suggesting, in this thread, who you'd like to see in the tournament. I'll take eight suggestions at random, along with eight veteran members who I'm asking via Private Message, and I'll make the last pick to round out the field. These seventeen picks will be randomized and fill out the last of the field.

EDIT: Sorry, may not have been clear, I do need to limit suggestions to one per post, one suggestion per user. Multiple people can suggest the same frag. If there are multiple suggestions in one post only the first one will be considered. You can, however, edit your one suggestion up to the last day, the 14th.

So who's in?

I thought you'd never ask. Here's the 2010 brackets so far, click for full size!

There are already some good matchups set for round one, and a lot of blank spaces that your suggestions can help fill. Suggestions will be taken until February 14th, which will mark the full reveal and the start of the Prediction Contest.

Prediction Contest? Like we pick the winner?

Yup, and you fill out the whole bracket before the first game is played. Surreality won the Prediction Contest last year and an_oud_girl took runner up. Once I reveal the full brackets, you'll have until February 28th to send me, by any means necessary, your completed bracket. You can use the image I provide and copy and paste with the image editor of your choice, you can print it and scan in your results, take a picture of your completed form and email it, mail a printed form to me, or send me an easy-to-follow text list. First round games are worth 1 point, second round is worth 2, 3rd round is worth 4, and so on, up to 32 points for correctly predicting the winner. The high score is 121 out of a possible 192 points. I will not be accepting late entries this year! Sorry, but you'll have quite a bit of time to fill out a bracket!

So what's new this year?

The methodology for choosing the fragrances has changed for half the field, and it shows, there are a lot of newcomers and I'm sure there will be some "Why isn't X in the tournament?" I say suggest it in this thread. Notably, I'm using Somerville Metro Man's SotY data from last year to determine 16 of the spots, and Grant has provided me with the 16 Most Owned fragrances, along with the final 16 Most Reviewed fragrances. So Most Worn, Most Owned, and Most Reviewed, in that order for priority purposes (to resolve duplicate entries, unless a frag would rank higher in another set of 16). The actual process of what frag goes in what spot on the board is a bit dense but if you're curious I can answer those questions via PM. We're also taking more forum suggestions, 3 more than last year. Last year 5 veteran users each got to make 2 additions to the field, this year it's 9 veteran users each making 1 selection, and the play-in will be fan-selected instead of the borefest it was last year (sorry to those that enjoyed the Light Blue PH versus Secretion Magnifiques matchup).

Also, all games will be 24 hours this year, instead of the 48 hour games towards the end, I feel like it dragged down the tempo of the thing. 24 hours to decide everything, including the champion!

Did you forget anything?

Probably. If I left something out post a message, if not go ahead and enter your suggestion for the 8 forum entries.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 2nd February 2010 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Clarifying the suggestion process.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Default Re: BMM10 Selection Show! Will your selections make the big dance?

Yes! I've been waiting for this for a while now. Bluesoul man, thanks for all the hard work, it's really appreciated. I'm gonna give the bracket a look over and then I'll think of some suggestions.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Brilliant! So well designed. Great stuff.

My recommendation:

Creed Windsor - new, costly, not everyone has sampled it, but it's getting a lot of buzz

Thank you for the time and thinking you've put into this. Very well done.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 2nd February 2010 at 02:32 AM.

Blog Entries

Sorry, may not have been clear, I do need to limit suggestions to one per post, one suggestion per user. Multiple people can suggest the same frag. If there are multiple suggestions in one post only the first one will be considered. You can, however, edit your one suggestion up to the last day, the 14th.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 2nd February 2010 at 02:17 AM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for all of the hard work coordinating all of this D. I swear, sometimes I wonder whether you think in algorithms, or if all of this data crunching comes easy to you? Maybe a little of both? Or maybe just a bit too much Kouros?

So fantastic. Makes me want to re-read all of last year's BMM.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

EDIT: Doh! Misread the instructions...

My one vote goes to Encre Noire
    Last edited by rogalal; 2nd February 2010 at 04:55 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Yay!

There are absolutely no Carons in the brackets! I nominate... Caron Pour Homme!

This is awesome! Oh man, Acqua di Gio takes on Guerlain Heritage in the first round. That's rough.

Tobacco Vanille > 1/2 what's listed

Wow, things have started with a bang! Looks like great fun again this year--thanks bluesoul

How can it be a fair contest without Czech & Speake No.88?
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 2nd February 2010 at 01:06 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

OK, I'll bite. My on suggestion: By Killian Liaisons Dangereuses.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

My one vote goes to Diptyque Tam Dao

Although someone really ought to nominate a few of the big feminines... Where's Bal à Versailles? No 5, much as I loathe it? Hell, Nuit Noire for all I care - that one'd *really* stink the place up.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

My vote goes to one of my favorites and something I think could become a big contender, one of the ultimate masculine roses, Amouage Lyric Man
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

My nomination, though not a personal favorite, I just feel it deserves to be there, is Blenheim Bouquet.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Plus

Encre Noire has to be a contender.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    My one vote goes to Diptyque Tam Dao

Although someone really ought to nominate a few of the big feminines... Where's Bal à Versailles? No 5, much as I loathe it? Hell, Nuit Noire for all I care - that one'd *really* stink the place up.
    I debated with exactly that quite a bit, and came down on the reasoning that this is going on in men's discussion, and while I've got no problem in assisting the running of a women's tournament, my belief is that there are enough good competitive men's frags to run the field solely with them. I just don't think I have the time involved to run two separate tournaments, mens and womens.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Splendid. As No. 88 was already named, I'll propose Acqua di Parma Colonia, for the honor of traditional cologne and for bella Italia .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

My proposal, although it will be probably the vote in favor this frag, goes to Armani PH

Personally, I think that past winners and runners-up should get to pick a fragrance to be included in the competition. If this were the case I would nominate HdP Ambre 114.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Havana would be my vote...

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Personally, I think that past winners and runners-up should get to pick a fragrance to be included in the competition. If this were the case I would nominate HdP Ambre 114.
    That's a very good one, but I fear that not enough people would know about it. You know what would be cool, if we somehow managed to get together small samples of every scent, and sent them to those that wanted to vote but hadn't sampled the scents in question.

Blog Entries

I've got seven of the eight user selections PMs received, not counting my selection.

In no particular order, count on these seven also being in the brackets:

CdG Avignon
    Old Spice
    Dior Eau Noire
    Chanel Coromandel
    Knize Ten
    Diptyque Eau Lente
    SL Ambre Sultan

...along with the 8 frags to be determined via this thread.

Keep going! Plenty of time to make suggestions still.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 4th February 2010 at 01:47 AM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Blog Entries

Up with ye!
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Thanks to bluesoul and to all others helping put this together! Sounds like fun!
    I'll submit Michael for Men from Michael Kors.

This is awesome. I love March Madness and its good to see Kouros with a number 1 seed.
    My vote goes to Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men for its rise from the ashes.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Smile Re: BMM10 Selection Show! Will your selections make the big dance?

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    This is awesome. I love March Madness and its good to see Kouros with a number 1 seed.
    My vote goes to Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men for its rise from the ashes.
    Thanks for the Giorgio shoutout!

I have been following this thread to see if someone else would recommend C&S No.88 so that I could change my vote to Giorgio for Men. Thanks to you, I don't have to do that!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

This will be a lot of fun!

I'll go with Encre Noire

One thing that would be nice is if the tournament was modified in a way that reduces (but doesn't eliminate!) the importance of popularity of a scent, as often people simply vote for the frag they've tried - assuming they've only tried one of the two - if they even marginally like it.

After musing, admittedly only briefly, I'm imagining a system wherein say, for each 'round' of voting you are given (just as an example, all numbers are just placeholder suggestions) 10 points per match, so if there are 10 voting matches in that 'round' you get a total of 100 points. Then, instead of the way the system is now where each vote is effectively worth one point, you could assign more or less points to each frag you are voting for, perhaps with some maximum upper limit assignable to a single fragrance.

As an example, imagine the following:

Round 1
    32 matchups
    You have 320 points (32 matchups x 10 points each)
    You can assign, at most, 40 of your points to a single fragrance
    You may decide not to spend any points on a given matchup
    If you do decide to vote on a match, you can assign, at minimum, 5 of your points to a single fragrance

You may have points left over at the end of a round, but cannot exceed the rounds maximum point value (320, in this example round).

So you might do the following, given the initial matchups listed in the tournament chart

Guerlain Vetiver - 20
    Platinum Egoiste - 0

Mugler Cologne - 0
    Green Irish Tweed - 40 (we'll imagine you're a huge GIT fan )

Allure Homme - 5 (you don't care much about this match but do prefer Allure)
    Armani Code - 0

etc etc, until all your points are spent (or not, if you have points left over after voting for all those that you care about) for that round.

This effectively lets you cast a "weighted vote" for those you really care about, with the maximum weighting being determined by the maximum and minimum numbers chosen. Here, you are given 10 points per match and can spend, at minimum, 5 if you so choose (you don't need to vote on every match). So, ultimately, a 'full vote' of 40 points is 8 times stronger than the minimum vote (a 'half vote', given that you are only spending 5 of the 10 points you get per match), and 4 times stronger than a 'standard' vote of 10 points.

Of course, as mentioned, the numbers here are completely arbitrary (although I do think the maximum vote should be at least 4 times more than the minimum vote), but this would allow people that feel strongly about fragrances to weight their votes accordingly.

To tally this, instead of a single thread for each matchup, we could use one thread per round of voting. This would make it much easier to calculate totals and make sure that people are not spending more points than they have. Each person wishing to vote in the round would make ONE post, listing all of the matchups (a template could be provided so that everyone doesn't have to type it out themselves) and the points they wish to attribute to each, kind of like I did above with the fictional matchups.

To avoid people changing their numbers as the day goes on (perhaps to save a favorite) a rule could be made that any post that has been edited whatsoever will not be counted, and will exempt that user from voting in that round (ie: make sure you've got your numbers where you want them before you hit post!).

Thoughts, suggestions, comments or criticisms would be welcome.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 4th February 2010 at 10:09 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Blog Entries

Interesting premise, SoS. My biggest issue with that is the additional time required for me to tally up the votes. Round 1 is 32 matchups, and an average matchup will be about 100 votes per match. That's around 3200 entries to go through, and last year I was doing about all I could getting here at the same time midnight every day to post the new poll for the day and record the previous day's scores. It's a cool idea but quite labor intensive, especially with the amount of games to be played.

EDIT: There is a vBulletin addon called vBookie that would make this easier but Grant doesn't have it on here, I can't really ask him to modify the forum for a one month ordeal, and I'm not sure if it supports VB4.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 4th February 2010 at 10:13 PM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Well, if we trusted people to a) be honest and b) not make mistakes, you could simply make polls like the following:

Vote 5 points for A
    Vote 10 points for A
    Vote 15 points for A
    Vote 20 points for A
    ...etc
    ------------------
    Vote 5 points for B
    Vote 10 points for B
    ...etc.

Of course, to be sure you'd have to cross check different threads and make sure people weren't spending more points than they have. :|

I'm trying to think of a way, perhaps even some website or something outside of basenotes, that would facilitate the process and make it easy.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 4th February 2010 at 10:12 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Well, if we trusted people to a) be honest and b) not make mistakes, you could simply make polls like the following:

Vote 5 points for A
    Vote 10 points for A
    Vote 15 points for A
    Vote 20 points for A
    ...etc
    ------------------
    Vote 5 points for B
    Vote 10 points for B
    ...etc.

Of course, to be sure you'd have to cross check different threads and make sure people weren't spending more points than they have. :|

I'm trying to think of a way, perhaps even some website or something outside of basenotes, that would facilitate the process and make it easy.
    Well, part of the reason Grant puts up with the mass of BMM threads in March is that is all does stay on Basenotes, meaning advertisers get seen throughout the tournament. I wouldn't dream of having this extent past Basenotes and diverting traffic away from the advertisements that help this place stay alive. I'm not saying abandon the idea, but it either needs to be used on a smaller scale (perhaps a smaller tournament to decide which fragrances 'on the bubble' advance to BMM) or with the help of a plugin like vBookie, or totally standardized (ie, a copy-and-paste template that I can drop straight from the forum into Excel).

I may toy with it for next year's event, which I'm already working on.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

SoS, nerd alert!
    Interesting premise, though. And it's true; last year, I found myself not voting for rounds where I knew none of the scents. With weighed votes, those skipped matches wouldn't be lost since you could transfer the "points" to be spent to other matches.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    I debated with exactly that quite a bit, and came down on the reasoning that this is going on in men's discussion, and while I've got no problem in assisting the running of a women's tournament, my belief is that there are enough good competitive men's frags to run the field solely with them. I just don't think I have the time involved to run two separate tournaments, mens and womens.
    Oh, I didn't mean to push you into running two at the same time! I just wonder how they'd fare in the contest, especially given the general notion on BN that gender marketing is usually just that: marketing. You're right in that two separate contests might do more justice to the diversity of the playing field though.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

This tournament sounds cool, wasn't here last year so I'm looking forward to see that.
    I suggest L'Instant de Guerlain PH.

I'm going to have to go with the classic Polo Green.

Blog Entries

A lot of good suggestions so far, keep them coming! Eight more days and the field will be locked in, don't miss your chance.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Hooray for another exciting tournament! Great job of organizing, bluesoul!

So many great scents still have not made the field. Zino Davidoff. Le 3e Homme de Caron. Chanel Pour Monsieur. Hermés Equipage.

However, it would be a real travesty if Caron's Tabac Blond extrait parfum were not allowed to compete! I'll use my 1 suggestion to recommend this.

Blog Entries

Thanks for bringing this back to the top, I let it slide for a few days while I worked on getting the SoTY stuff dialed in.

I think I'll make a suggestion myself! If the randomness gods don't see to it that this one gets in, I may have to make it my personal selection despite not knowing a ton about it, and that would be L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme, the most-worn fragrance last week.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Blog Entries

Only a few more days to get your picks in, don't be left out!
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Blog Entries

I'm gonna be moving the deadline forward for this by one day, so you officially have until Saturday night to get your picks safely in, I'll be doing the drawing on Sunday and revealing the brackets then.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

I was really considering Yatagan, but I'm afraid it is too far out to stand a chance. Therefore I second the entry of Polo Green (original).

Blog Entries

Alrighty, not much time left!!

For my one and only suggestion: Le Labo Rose 31

Can't wait to see what happens!! Gonna be some interesting matchups...
    <3 ... I'm blind crazy in love... <3

Blog Entries

Okay, here are our lucky winners!

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Czech & Speake No. 88
    Creed Windsor
    Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
    Aramis Havana
    Giorgio Beverly Hills For Men
    Le Labo Rose 31
    Ralph Lauren Polo (Green)

And the finalized brackets look like...this!

(Click for full size.)

The brackets are done and this selection show is over, the prediction contest and schedule of games will be up soon!
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

OMG, C&S 88 against LL Rose 31!!!!!!!!

A tad bit disappointed that not a single Amouage or MPG is being represented while things like Windsor, which very few have or will be able to sample, are on the board. Other than that small gripe though, it's looking good.

Some very interesting match ups early on. TdH vs Windsor. Rose 31 vs No. 88. A battle of titans in K10 vs Musc Ravageur. GIT vs Mugler Cologne.

It's gonna get intense, fast!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    A tad bit disappointed that not a single Amouage or MPG is being represented while things like Windsor, which very few have or will be able to sample, are on the board. Other than that small gripe though, it's looking good.

Some very interesting match ups early on. TdH vs Windsor. Rose 31 vs No. 88. A battle of titans in K10 vs Musc Ravageur. GIT vs Mugler Cologne.

It's gonna get intense, fast!
    I hear you, there's always gonna be something worthy that doesn't make it in. Heck, I had about 5 I wanted to use my 1 pick on, and then when I saw what my matchup ended up being I regretted choosing Wall Street but fair is fair. This year I really wanted to try a totally random selection rather than hand-picking it, so you end up with a considerable underdog like Windsor in the mix. I'm constantly tweaking, modifying and hopefully improving the process so there's the most fun throughout the whole show, from Selection Sunday to The Final Spritz and beyond (hint, hint).
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

The one thing I don't really get is the rankings. I mean, it's one thing to use statistics it's another to base the entire thing in it. IMO, here are just a FEW examples of what I'm talking about:

Green Irish Tweed should be AT LEAST a 3 seed, for one it's the most popular scent from the most popular niche house.
    Mugler Cologne should also be higher IMO, at least a 5 seed.
    Givenchy Pi shouldn't even be on the list.
    And based solely on the polar opinion of A*Men, there's no way it should be a number 1.

I think next year, we should throw out the reviews and statistics and base the selections more on the current atmosphere of the forums, since those are the people most likely to vote.

I understand, Bluesoul. I hope you didn't feel that the gripe was aimed at you as it's not. I've nothing but respect and admiration for all the time and effort you've put into this. It was a ton of fun last year and should be even better this year. DOWN WITH HABIT ROUGE!!!!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    The one thing I don't really get is the rankings. I mean, it's one thing to use statistics it's another to base the entire thing in it. IMO, here are just a FEW examples of what I'm talking about:

Green Irish Tweed should be AT LEAST a 3 seed, for one it's the most popular scent from the most popular niche house.
    Mugler Cologne should also be higher IMO, at least a 5 seed.
    Givenchy Pi shouldn't even be on the list.
    And based solely on the polar opinion of A*Men, there's no way it should be a number 1.

I think next year, we should throw out the reviews and statistics and base the selections more on the current atmosphere of the forums, since those are the people most likely to vote.
    Well, there are three different ways to be a 1 seed, either you're the Most Worn, Most Owned, or Most Reviewed, and A*Men was the most owned that wasn't a duplicate (#4 overall). There actually was a bit of confusion over the seeding process this year but it was too late by the time I caught it, the idea was that wherever a frag was ranked highest would determine it's seed, and duplicates in the other datasets were eliminated. In practice this got confusing quick, I chose instead to prioritize them by what I felt was order of importance, so Most Worn, Most Owned, and Most Reviewed in that order. I didn't want the 16th most worn fragrance (Black Orchid) to not make it in because I had to make room for the 16th Most Reviewed, because I felt that what people are wearing now is more important than what's been reviewed over the last ten years. I apologize but I decided to go ahead and roll with what I had and try doing it right next year, with highest overall seeding determining the spot. There are some aspects of BMM that are pretty tightly modeled after the NCAA tournament and some that really aren't, the seeding is closer to the tightly modeled side, using data instead of personal preference.

I think using 3 different sets of data helps get a wider range of fragrances into the mix, this year we've got a better estimation of what people are really wearing.

Using data to determine seeding isn't going anywhere, but the plan is to use a different set of data every year, so we have some new entries every year.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 14th February 2010 at 06:59 PM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    Well, there are three different ways to be a 1 seed, either you're the Most Worn, Most Owned, or Most Reviewed, and A*Men was the most owned that wasn't a duplicate (#4 overall). There actually was a bit of confusion over the seeding process this year but it was too late by the time I caught it, the idea was that wherever a frag was ranked highest would determine it's seed, and duplicates in the other datasets were eliminated. In practice this got confusing quick, I chose instead to prioritize them by what I felt was order of importance, so Most Worn, Most Owned, and Most Reviewed in that order. I didn't want the 16th most worn fragrance (Black Orchid) to not make it in because I had to make room for the 16th Most Reviewed, because I felt that what people are wearing now is more important than what's been reviewed over the last ten years. I apologize but I decided to go ahead and roll with what I had and try doing it right next year, with highest overall seeding determining the spot. There are some aspects of BMM that are pretty tightly modeled after the NCAA tournament and some that really aren't, the seeding is closer to the tightly modeled side, using data instead of personal preference.

I think using 3 different sets of data helps get a wider range of fragrances into the mix, this year we've got a better estimation of what people are really wearing.

Using data to determine seeding isn't going anywhere, but the plan is to use a different set of data every year, so we have some new entries every year.
    I want to echo SOS in saying that I don't want to come off as criticizing you, but rather offering up ideas for next time. I didn't realize that you used the most worn statistic, which would then make sense to use. I don't really have any idea for how to do it better than you did, it just seems odd that some heavyweights are ranked so low and vice versa.

Blog Entries

No, no offense taken on either count, I know better than that. I like getting critiqued on this stuff, and suggestions and commentary are great; I make no suggestion that this is an exact science, there's a lot of spontaneity to offset the methodical stuff. Next time around I'm definitely going to be trying the "highest overall seed" method and see how that affects the brackets, as it stands every fragrance is seeded where it is because it was statistically ranked there in at least one category. I live and learn with this stuff.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp