Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default BMM10 Has begun!

Hello ladies, just letting you know that Basenotes March Madness is underway over in the men's discussion board, we had a wonderful female turnout last year and I hope we do better this year. Don't forget to join the Prediction Contest too, an_oud_girl was one game away from winning the whole thing last year.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Default Re: BMM10 Has begun!

If you do not have anything good to say, keep silence, they say. I have absolutely nothing to say about the whole big thing. Sorry.

Did I miss something?

Anyhoo, I'm toddling over - thanks for the heads-up, bluesoul!
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

What? No Carons this year at all?

What's this about? *is lost in translation*

Blog Entries

Its a game we had last year, based on an American basketball tournament called March Madness. Instead of basketball teams, BNers choose which fragrances they want to see advance, and they vote in polls that Bluesoul will post every day in March. Everybody gets to vote for the one they want to win. At the end of the day, he posts the results and the winning fragrances advance, until there's only one left.

On the main thread, he's posted the bracket, and you can fill in which fragrance you think will win and play along! There are some empty spaces too, because all of the fragrances haven't been picked yet, and he's taking suggestions for them.

Its a lot of fun, and since I missed my chance last year, I'm excited to join in! There's still plenty of time, so feel free to ask if you have any questions about it.
    Last edited by exquisitely me; 2nd February 2010 at 08:57 PM.
    <3 ... I'm blind crazy in love... <3

A lot of fun for who? Boutique owners or industry sharks? Then, it is the wrong forum.

Most of the fragrances "in the bracket" (???) are either masculines or the ones that I do not particularly care about (i.e. Shalimar), or both. Popularity votes, what's the purpose? Will I like the certain fragrance more if it wins or fall out of love with another if it loses? Nope, not likely, not me.

Will I make a correct prediction? Why bother, I'd rather read the Directory with Vibert's and Trebor's reviews, you know? Or sniff out something new in my stash of decants. Or, search the net about Nesti Dante soaps and recommend doing the same to everyone who is interested.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Twolf; 3rd February 2010 at 11:18 AM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the abbreviated explanation, EM. I'm thick-of-skull when it comes to understanding games (unless they're word games). I can't even make sense of poker gambling. But you youngin's have your fun.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Dude, Twolf???? It's all good, I've only sniffed two on the roster this year, so I'll see how far they get....

Blog Entries

Its alright, its only a game. And yes, they are mostly masculine fragrances, since this was something created for the men's forum last year. I wouldn't mind trying to host a ladies game if there was sufficient interest, but I'd need some help and Bluesoul worked hard on just making one, we didn't get a chance to make two this year.

Just the same, I wanted to point out that everybody's welcome to play if they'd like.
    <3 ... I'm blind crazy in love... <3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    A lot of fun for who? Boutique owners or industry sharks? Then, it is the wrong forum.

Most of the fragrances "in the bracket" (???) are either masculines or the ones that I do not particularly care about (i.e. Shalimar), or both. Popularity votes, what's the purpose? Will I like the certain fragrance more if it wins or fall out of love with another if it loses? Nope, not likely, not me.

Will I make a correct prediction? Why bother, I'd rather read the Directory with Vibert's and Trebor's reviews, you know? Or sniff out something new in my stash of decants. Or, search the net about Nesti Dante soaps and recommend doing the same to everyone who is interested.

Thanks.
    If there was a feminine version with 65 feminines and unisex would you take more interest in it?

Well, it's hard to argue with "what's the purpose" or "why bother", it's done for fun and entertainment and if you don't get any fun or entertainment then of course you're not required to participate. But please don't disparage what I'm doing, I put a lot of time and energy into this, and it's met with mostly positive feedback, last year we ended up with nearly 29,000 pageviews on the collective threads and several thousand posts. It's one of the things I look forward to most each year, so if you do have some suggestions as to improving the quality of it then I'd love to hear it.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

summer means fireflys

Thanks, Bluesoul for all the work you did on this last year and now this year too. I love the real March Madness, the basketball kind and this was fun to combine my love of MM + fragrance. And SMM's commentary was very funny!

I will be playing along most definitely!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

Just letting you lovely ladies know the full brackets have been revealed over in MFD, so if any of you would like to fill out a bracket this year it's ready when you are. I had to have a bit of fun with the selections this year, so I set the play-in game as the "War of The Roses", No. 88 vs. Rose 31. Enjoy!
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Ladies! Tobacco Vanille and Old Spice need our help in today's BMM competition! These two get alot of love on our side of the board--show your support if you are so inclined!

Vote here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/247442-BMM10-3-7-Games-21-24-%28Antaeus-TdH-Old-Spice-Fahrenheit-and-More!%29

Last edited by Asha; 7th March 2010 at 03:05 PM.

Blog Entries

A lot of fun for who?
    Me! And apparently the other 80 to 90 Basenotes members voting daily. I had a blast last year, and am again this year. When Eau Sauvage was trailing early in yesterday's voting, I was sure my entire bracket was going to get blown out of the water. And I wouldn't have minded if it had-- it's just a game! I also love SMM's commentaries:

In the Creed Region, fifth seeded Creed Bois du Portugal showed that even a highly regarded designer entry has trouble when playing a niche flacon. Their opponent Burberry London for Men is one of those designer fragrances that has been able to break through in the past, but against one of the Creed blue bloods London bridge came falling down under the weight of the woods of Portugal, 50-26.

Wouldn't y'all have rather watched him in Vancouver than Bob Costas?

Yes, ladies, Old Spice needs help! It's up against Creed Himalaya. If you have a soft spot for this legendary scent, please show your support.

And sorry Asha, but I went with Antaeus over TF Tobacco Vanille. Many of my picks this year went to sentimental favorites, and I just adore our most lovable rogue Mario, so I let him sway my vote!
    Last edited by Heartwood; 7th March 2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

It was a tough call for the Tobacco Vanille vs. Antaeus matchup. It seems like TV gets more discussion and more wears, but I agree that Antaeus is a classic, and probably is a better fragrance when all else is equal. I chose TV because I thought it would have more support!

If you do not have anything good to say, keep silence, they say. I have absolutely nothing to say about the whole big thing. Sorry.

????????????????
    Last edited by musse; 8th March 2010 at 02:29 AM.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Cheerleading for Jicky again today in the BMM competition--show your support if you are so inclined!

Cast your vote here:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/247...8-vs.-Jicky%29

(Mine is not the vintage, but I thought the bottle was so pretty...)

Basenotes Institution

OK, thanks everyone for explaining what it's all about . It sounds like fun !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

It may not be fun for everyone but it is great fun for me too!
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell