Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stetson - The daring complexity of a niche and the greatest pun of all-time in Men's fragrance

I have to admit I haven't smelled Stetson in years. I almost thought it was extinct until I read Tania Sanchez's review in the Guide which she gives it 4 stars and claims that its a frag ladies could wear. Was my perception of this "manly" fragrance for cowboys (pre-Brokeback Mountain) wrong all these years?!

Well, I spotted an older bottle (RL Safari-esque) at a local frag store, but they didn't have a tester so I bought it "blind" anyway for $12. Got home and splashed some on. Wow, there is huge jasmine/floral opening that leads into a powdery amber/musk drydown. No way could this have been same Stetson from my youth! I am shocked to think that Stetson was propped up as being the über-masculine frag all these years when it could easily have been labeled and marketed for ladies, Aramis be damned. A unisex that was never labeled unisex. Perhaps it was the perfumers' greatest pun/revenge, "They want a frag for cowboys, I'll give them a feminine and let's see how that dangles their spurs!"

And it's shockingly good and complex. The jasmine/floral accord reminds me of Caron's 3rd Man and the musk/amber smells really composed and reminds me of M7 albeit a lighter M7 to a certain extent. It's a lovely fragrance that probably influenced not only 3rd Man but Joop Homme as well and countless others. Sillage and longevity are excellent.

Whatever your perceptions were/are, give it Stetson a try. You just might find, like myself, that you were wrong all these years.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Stetson - The daring complexity of a niche and the greatest pun of all-time in Men's fragrance

Nice post! To think that i always ignored Stetson at Walmarts et al any time i came across them. Then a recent thread on Cuiron smell-alikes mentioned Stetson's Rich Suede. I ordered RS last week through a friend visiting the States, and should get it in a few weeks. Your thoughts give me further comfort (not that i am averse to blind buys ;0)

Thanks for sharing.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Cuba by Czech & Speake

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Stetson - The daring complexity of a niche and the greatest pun of all-time in Men's fragrance

double post
    Last edited by perfaddict; 2nd February 2010 at 06:41 PM.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Cuba by Czech & Speake

These are the notes of Stetson Rich Suede by Coty:

leather accord, blue cypress, blue sage, osmanthus petals, orrisroot, bemi resin, myrrh, crushed saffron, cedarwood, rich suede accord, orange dewdrops
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

The jasmine and rubbery/synthetic amber combination is too much for me. I've got a couple of unused vintage ones on my swap list (2 oz. and .5 oz.), for those who are interested. I do have an old "publicity version" (whatever that means) of Opium for women which I do like. For some reason, the rubbery amber in that one doesn't bother me (which is why I think the jasmine combined with it is causing me problems).

EDIT: Untamed by Stetson smells like Fresh's Cannabis Santal a bit.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 2nd February 2010 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    These are the notes of Stetson Rich Suede by Coty:

leather accord, blue cypress, blue sage, osmanthus petals, orrisroot, bemi resin, myrrh, crushed saffron, cedarwood, rich suede accord, orange dewdrops
    I was just thinking to myself I wish more colognes had Orange Dewdrops in them.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Basenotes Institution

How do you all know you have 'vintage' bottles? Are the bottles (or boxes) different?

Here in the UK, time was (not so long ago) that most of the Stetson range were always the great el cheapo frags on the 'Bay - I saw plenty of 100ml bottles going for a few pounds BIN, I even remember seeing a vintage 80s bottle that literally went for pennies (plus P&P) at the end of an auction. Unfortunately, by the time I managed to get a sample to smell how great it actually was, everyone else had caught on and so it is these days they rarely go for less than £20 for the same 100ml, if they come up for sale at all - a quick check now lists only a 22ml bottle for £9 + P&P BIN.

Ho-hum.

Mine comes from a relative who has had them since the 1980s, so that's how I know.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 2nd February 2010 at 09:13 PM.

I have a bottle and wear it from time to time. While there are great things about it, it can be mistaken for an expensive odd ball oriental, I find it is never completely convincing - sort of like Tabu. I think Ms. Sanchez got a little bit giddy with her four star review. I ask, in reality would anyone really pay more than $10 for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I have a bottle and wear it from time to time. While there are great things about it, it can be mistaken for an expensive odd ball oriental, I find it is never completely convincing - sort of like Tabu. I think Ms. Sanchez got a little bit giddy with her four star review. I ask, in reality would anyone really pay more than $10 for it?
    I agree with everything you say. Except for the last sentence - yes I would, because I think it smells far better than that. Unfortunately so do other UK 'Bayers. I wouldn't pay more than £15-20 for 100mls.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Stetson is a recent find for me. I rank it just behind Aqua Velva as the best bargain in frags.
    "Are you a god?"
    "No"
    "Are you a wizard?"
    "No"
    "Are you a man?"
    "No"
    "Then what are you?"
    "I am awake.."

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post
    I agree with everything you say. Except for the last sentence - yes I would, because I think it smells far better than that. Unfortunately so do other UK 'Bayers. I wouldn't pay more than £15-20 for 100mls.
    I find this fascinating as I honestly think most US stores have a hard time unloading it. Have you read Ms. Sanchez on Lady Stetson? She prefers it to Chanel No. 22. I've yet to smell it, but somehow I think Chanel spends a little more on their formula.

I've a bottle of the plain Stetson (the one with the picture of Tom Brady on the cover) and I must say upon first smell I was highly surprised. It certainly is not what I expected a rugged heterosexual American-Cowboy-ey scent to smell like a rich Floral Oriental.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

I agree that Stetson is a powdery floral oriental kind of like a butch version of Chantilly for women. Give it a burlly name like Stetson!

i purchased my first Stetson a few months ago ,, it immediately reminded me of a mid 70'd classic , and thats a good resemblance .
    Stetson Cologne = Etienne Aigner 1975 !

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Forgot to mention before that I think it smells like Lutece, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I find this fascinating as I honestly think most US stores have a hard time unloading it. Have you read Ms. Sanchez on Lady Stetson? She prefers it to Chanel No. 22. I've yet to smell it, but somehow I think Chanel spends a little more on their formula.
    Ruggles, indeed Lady Stetson smells "cheap" in comparison to No.22. I still think LS is rather decent given its humble market positioning, though. It certainly is as worthy as some of the designer dreck being palmed off these days. They could spuce it up a little, remove some of the aldehydes, give it a chunky pink bottle with bling, and make alot of money on it.

TS also really likes another old cheapy called "Sex Appeal" by Jovan. I've yet to smell this one. I've always though Stetson was one of the best of the Drug Store men's frags though.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 3rd February 2010 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    TS also really likes another old cheapy called "Sex Appeal" by Jovan. I've yet to smell this one. I've always though Stetson was one of the best of the Drug Store men's frags though.
    Not trying to hijack the thread here, but if you like KL Homme, you'll probably like Sex Appeal For Men. It really is an excellent scent, at a fraction of the price of KL Homme. I just posted a review of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Ruggles, indeed Lady Stetson smells "cheap" in comparison to No.22. I still think LS is rather decent given its humble market positioning, though. It certainly is as worthy as some of the designer dreck being palmed off these days. They could spuce it up a little, remove some of the aldehydes, give it a chunky pink bottle with bling, and make alot of money on it.
    I'm actually dying to try it, I think it sounds fab and I'm all for good, cheap masterpieces, but I have never seen a tester of it anywhere. I heart aldehydes!

I have the cajones to layer Stetson and Aspen !
    -

the Stetson frags are as good as many designer scents

Quote Originally Posted by seasoldiermarine View Post
    the Stetson frags are as good as many designer scents
    I have to agree. I used to not like Stetson, but now that I've resampled it recently, I quite like it. I don't get the whole "it's a feminine in a man's bottle" stuff. Why, because it's floral?? I find it very masculine.

Stetson became something of a running joke between me, this guy I work with and my stepson. Around the playoffs the stores were literally flooded with Stetson giftsets for Christmas with Tom Brady all over them. I'd go to Kmart there were hundreds. Wal-Mart, hundreds. I go to this guy I work with "Do you wear Stetson". He's like "no", and I'm like "but Tom Brady wears Stetson and he's in the playoffs" "there is so much Stetson around everyone should be wearing it". I bought a bottle after Christmas when the stores started clearing out the giftsets, and wear it on the occasions when I work with this guy then make a big deal about it. I'm working with him tomorrow so I'll probably make a big deal about it again. My stepson is 9 (which is around the age I started wearing cologne) and he thought the whole thing was funny, so we bought my dad a bottle for Christmas. Then I was searching through a box of old colognes my dad used to wear that I've had for a while and find an old bottle of Stetson that was never used (probably dating back to when it first came out because my dad hadn't worn cologne in years, up until we started getting him some as Christmas gifts in the last few years). I gave it to my stepson and told him he had to wear Stetson every day now. Everyone gets a good laugh out of it.

I don't actually mind the stuff, it smells OK. Some people can pull it off better than others. I don't really think of it as a ladies fragrance, more of a powdery mens fragrance from the late 60s and early 70s that was released later and somehow remained more popular (probably due to more marketing, I mean when was the last time you saw a big name star advertising British Sterling on prime time TV?).

I incidently bought All American by Stetson as well when it was on clearance. They could call it "Essence of Generic". Its such a generic smell you'd be hard placed to describe it. Its a pleasant woodsy fougere thats not enitrely placed in any terms. Its not overly sweet. Its not aquatic. I usually wear it when I don't know what to wear simply because it is so inoffensive and so generic no one would take notice. I mean it seriously seems so commonplace I can't imagine what they were trying to do except for create an easily unplaceable background smell that no one would mind. The sprayer on this thing is as bad as Safari with its super fine mist by the way.

While I don't really think original Stetson is a feminine scent, and all of my own inside jokes aside (mostly relating to the overabundance of the stuff and plethora of advertising), it is a fairly complex scent. It seems though this stuff has skyrocketed in price. I mean you can still get it cheaply enough because there is so much out there, but $11.99 for a 1.7 oz bottle seems a tad steep for what is largely considered a cheap cologne. They've got some of the large bottles up in the $20 range, at which point you can get something a lot less commonplace. Maybe at a higher price it makes it more appealing because people will disassociate it with cheap? (I can say I got two bottles for $3 and $4 respectively, paid $1.50 for the All American, but I did pay full price for my dad's so he'd have it in time for Christmas). Also while I don't wear it I notice Gravity has followed the same trend and is getting expensive. I remember that stuff selling for $7 and they're up in the $15-20 range now too. Oddly its only a select few of these that are regarded as cheap that went up substantially in price and not others. Maybe they're trying to make them seem more premium. People might shrug at a $7 bottle but at $17 they might say "That must be good stuff if it costs that much".

I found Stetson to be very disappointing. I hate powder, and this is excessively powdery on me. I'll give it this, that it's not totally linear ( funky top note - powder heart - balsamic drydown ), but that's about the best I can say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong
    I found Stetson to be very disappointing. I hate powder, and this is excessively powdery on me.
    Same, powdery to the max, and not particularly complex. If I had to pick an el cheapo I'd go with Monsieur Musk - more understated and slightly less cheap-smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by man114 View Post
    It seems though this stuff has skyrocketed in price.
    I remember when Stetson used to be advertised without Tom Brady in it. Now that they have to pay Tom Brady, maybe that's why it's more expensive; because his salary doubles the price!
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Basenotes Plus

My blind-ordered Stetson arrived today, and I have to say it is really unexpectedly beautiful, especially for the price. It also reminds me a lot of my recent favourite Caron Third Man, but is still different enough to justify having both.
    I love cologne.