Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance for the lady - Help with a valentines day gift

Hello Hello!

I'd like to get my S.O. a fun bottle for valentines day.

Currently she really likes Rive Gauche along with a couple of my masculines; PdN - New York "has the magic" according to her nose.

Would you mind making some recommendations for a few frags that are $60 and under, and not your typical flower/candy/etc?

something unique and fun

Thanks in advance!
    ---
    -josh

www.imaginaryauthors.com

Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.
    -Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Fragrance for the lady - Help with a valentines day gift

Hi, Josh --

Welcome!

Based on what you've said, I have two suggestions for your honey:

1) Mariella Burani by Mariella Burani: A delicious floral with some citrus and spice notes and a *really* fun bottle (huge artificial flower on the cap). Can be had at any of the reliable online perfume websites for $35-$50.
    2) Ivoire de Balmain: More old-school (like Rive Gauche), it has soft florals including rose, green notes and aldehydes. $30-$45 on the same reliable perfume websites.

Happy hunting, and I do hope you find something your girlfriend will enjoy! Keep us posted?
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

I think Gres Cabaret could be a hit with your lady. It's a beautiful dry woody rose with incense. I'm not much at writing reviews, so I'm linking you to this excellent one:

http://tinyurl.com/grescabaretreview

And here's a photo of the funky-retro bottle and packaging. Some hate it, but I think it's great fun and – a bonus – it's done in Valentine colors!
    Last edited by Haunani; 5th February 2010 at 02:12 AM.

Narciso Rodriguez For Her EDT (much nicer than the EDP), Rochas Femme, Guerlain Mitsouko.

Thank you Ladies for your help!

I think there are a couple of serious contenders!

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately depending on one's viewpoint) my mother wore Mitsouko. She has a few perfumes, most of which are from her sister, things like Amour amour, Britney spears, but she love a lot of my colognes (on me) and would like something a little more esoteric for herself.

I like the Incense idea, also maybe something with patchouli or musk, and less on the aldehyde since Rive Gauche covers it pretty well (IMHO at least )

thanks all!
    ---
    -josh

www.imaginaryauthors.com

Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.
    -Oscar Wilde

"Y" from Yves Saint Laurent

Hi. If your lady likes Rive Gauche, she may like Calandre by Paco Rabanne. The same perfumer worked on each, and Calandre came first. The two are similar but distinct fragrances.

Welcome, Josh!

If she has been raiding your scent wardrobe, try Gres Cabochard or Balmain Jolie Madame. These are nice scents (that you can share!) and easy on the wallet.

For a splurge, try Hermes Equipage.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Fabulous reply's!! Thank you all!

I'm particularly intrigued with the Y from YSl, the Cabaret, as well as Primrose's recommendation for Jolie Madame!

it's going to be a little bit difficult to pick out a couple without thinking of what i would like to wear in her new wardrobe

Thanks again!
    ---
    -josh

www.imaginaryauthors.com

-Oscar Wilde

You might try something from the Etro line. There are plenty on Ebay. I have so many favorites in that line: Etra - a creamy floral, Messe de Minuit - a cranky, sweet, scary incense, and Palais Jamais - a smoked tea extravaganza. Two particularly nice floarals they produce are Vicolo Fiori and Magot. And, there are many more excellent choices in that line. Good luck.