Code of Conduct

Red face Immediate regret

Have you ever sampled something, then bought a full bottle and immediately regretted it?

I have. A week or so ago, I sampled Bond No 9 Coney Island and rather liked it, so I ordered a bottle off ebay at a good price and it arrived yesterday. Trouble is, I can't imagine what possessed me to buy it now I've tried it again. Actually, I probably can - it was a rather large volume of a rather nice Merlot.

I'm not knocking the frag, but it's far too sweet for my taste. Oh, well!

Has anyone else had a case of immediate regret upon purchase, and if so, what did you regret buying?

PS - The Coney Island will be in the For Sale section soon....

Default Re: Immediate regret

Hugo Element - test sprayed it in Boots, loved it, and bought a bottle a couple of days later, also from Boots. When I used it properly a couple of days later it smelt like a completely different frag. What I tested was a fresh, decent aquatic with citrus overtones. What I bought was something that smelt slightly of BO. And then disappeared to nothing. I'm going to give it another go soon, but that one may also end up in the market place (when I'm permitted to do so).

Give it 2-5 proper wearings to make your judgement on it. The instant I tried Gucci Pour Homme I and Burberry London I hated them. London was way sweeter than I was used to, and Gucci was just pencil shavings. Now I absolutely love both of them. The drydown of London is just wonderful - smoky, woody yet slightly sweet. Gucci PH is spicy, a little woody and has this really nice sweet touch to it.

Versace Man.

And I tested it on several occasions, but to no help. When bought it turned out to be a sour-smoky cloying mess on my skin.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Guerlain Vetiver....I still have no idea what happened between testing and buying!!
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I'll give it another go, but I truly don't hold out much hope!

From my wardrobe, or at least from what used to be in my wardrobe, Paco Energy

Only because I paid full retail for Caron Pour Homme ($90) when I could have purchased online for only $30. Ugh, I still feel dumb.

No regrets!! If I don't care for something that I had originally liked, I give it some more time. Otherwise I sell it on. No reason for regret.

Early in my frag fascination, I was at Sephora doing some testing and LOVED Platinum Egoiste. I bought a bottle, and from the first wearing there was something incredibly off-putting to me. I've probably worn it twice since, but that note still kills me.

Point taken, mrclmind, it's just that I usually fall out of love with frags over a period of time, not as soon as I recieve the FB. Disappointment (with myself) is probably a more suitable word than regret.

Anyway, I think it was the Merlot's fault.

Bulgari Black, 10 years ago. I returned it a week later.

Kenneth Cole's Black

tested it in the mall, thought it was really nice and decided to buy a bottle,

when i came home, i thought what the f*ck have i done..

No regrets either but I cant belive how wrong my estimation turned out with partick dempseys unscripted.
    The notes sounded truly intriguing to me, alas I underestimated the cloying mess the violet, fig and vetiver, maybe also the musc turned out to be.
    Couldnt even bear to wear it once.
    But mo regrets, it'l be sold off soon again

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    I think it was the Merlot's fault.
    How many times have I heard that???!!!

My most recent regret, buying a bottle of Lanvin Vetiver because it was cheap. I now have something new in my gift drawer.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th February 2010 at 04:41 PM.

If I ever wake up in a haze one morning, with a bottle of Pure Oud next to me that I'm pretty sure wasn't a gift from someone else, I'll know what regret is, and it'll have nothing to do with what's in the bottle.

( To answer the question - yes, more than once. Knize Ten was the most expensive accident. )

Actually, I just had an issue trying on One Million. I had to wash it off. I'll see when I attempt to wear it again. It's just SO cloying for me.

One that immediately comes to mind is a 50 mL bottle of AdP Intensa that I bought at Epcot's Italy gift store (loads of fragrances there, btw). I was in an extreme hurry, the place was packed and I WANTED an Acqua di Parma as a souvenir. When I got back to the hotel room, I immediately thought "This stuff is loaded with IsoE Super!". Yuck.

Should have gone with Colonia instead.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Musc Ravageur. Liked the top notes, but didn't give it a test wear. Went nowhere interesting on me. Swapped it.

For me, Lanvin Oxegen was a big mistake. I don't like its outstanding note -- the cypress. I don't think it goes well with an aquatic fragrance. I sold it a couple of months later and glad someone quickly bought it. It's not bad, but just not for me.

From there, I've learned that we shouldn't test too many scents at the same time. Oxegene wasn't a blind buy, I tested it on my wrist first, but still after other 5-6 scents. However, I was new to the world of perfume back then, it happened in 2005.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I bought English Leather cologne which came in a plastic bottle. The scent I swear was a bit off and I think it was due to the plastic bottle reacting with the scent. I mean have you ever heard of a scent coming in a plastic bottle, also the scent was just to pungent for my tastes. Though the cologne was cheap so it was not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post
    Hugo Element - test sprayed it in Boots, loved it, and bought a bottle a couple of days later, also from Boots. When I used it properly a couple of days later it smelt like a completely different frag. What I tested was a fresh, decent aquatic with citrus overtones. What I bought was something that smelt slightly of BO. And then disappeared to nothing. I'm going to give it another go soon, but that one may also end up in the market place (when I'm permitted to do so).
    You didn't try Hugo Elements Aqua and then purchase Hugo Elements did you???

Just a thought

Cartier, Roadster
    Malle, French Lover

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    Have you ever sampled something, then bought a full bottle and immediately regretted it?

I have. A week or so ago, I sampled Bond No 9 Coney Island and rather liked it, so I ordered a bottle off ebay at a good price and it arrived yesterday. Trouble is, I can't imagine what possessed me to buy it now I've tried it again. Actually, I probably can - it was a rather large volume of a rather nice Merlot.

I'm not knocking the frag, but it's far too sweet for my taste. Oh, well!

Has anyone else had a case of immediate regret upon purchase, and if so, what did you regret buying?

PS - The Coney Island will be in the For Sale section soon....
    I will buy it off of your hands for a good price

Higher by Christian Dior. What was I Thinking???????

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC View Post
    Bulgari Black, 10 years ago. I returned it a week later.
    I don`t understand.. When a box is opened, the seal is broken, and the bottle has been used. How can you then return it? This is out of the question in my country!

Thumbs down Re: Immediate regret

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    Versace Man.

And I tested it on several occasions, but to no help. When bought it turned out to be a sour-smoky cloying mess on my skin.
    purchased samples from frag net, wonderful. bought 100ml bottle from frag net

DIDNT smell the same, sent right back!

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
    Early in my frag fascination, I was at Sephora doing some testing and LOVED Platinum Egoiste. I bought a bottle, and from the first wearing there was something incredibly off-putting to me. I've probably worn it twice since, but that note still kills me.
    didnt regret, but sample smelled differet from whole bottle, i dont get that.

this is my regret, threw away receipt & could'nt take back

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I don`t understand.. When a box is opened, the seal is broken, and the bottle has been used. How can you then return it? This is out of the question in my country!
    depends where you buy it (in US) Some stores won't take it back once it's been opened, some will.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    You didn't try Hugo Elements Aqua and then purchase Hugo Elements did you???

Just a thought
    Nope - none of my three local Boots do Element Aqua. But a good thought nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I mean have you ever heard of a scent coming in a plastic bottle
    Most Trumpers colognes have only been available in plastic shaker bottles for a few years now. I don't go for all that "plastic bottles ruin frags and are dangerous" stuff - most plastics these days contain nothing harmful (think of the number of skincare products which also contain alcohol and acids that have been in plastic bottles for years), and I've owned plenty of frags over the years that came in plastic bottles. Never known any of them to go bad.
    Last edited by great_badir; 5th February 2010 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
    Higher by Christian Dior. What was I Thinking???????
    +1

ugh...luckily this fragrance doesn'tlast very long. I used most of it to freshen up and clean my toilets.
    Knize Ten !

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post
    Most Trumpers colognes have only been available in plastic shaker bottles for a few years now. I don't go for all that "plastic bottles ruin frags and are dangerous" stuff - most plastics these days contain nothing harmful (think of the number of skincare products which also contain alcohol and acids that have been in plastic bottles for years), and I've owned plenty of frags over the years that came in plastic bottles. Never known any of them to go bad.
    And price-wise, the difference is astounding - 200ml plastic bottle vs 50ml glass at the same price.

I did that at Aedes a few years ago with Diam Blond. I bought it because I liked how it smelled on me so much. But it ended up making me feel a little sick. It got cloying. I regretted it as immediately as the dinner that followed the store's visit.

I ended up going back and exchanging it for Chergui because I never opened my original purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS View Post
    ...I ended up going back and exchanging it for Chergui because I never opened my original purchase.
    Now that is a fantastic exchange . Chergui is a whole lot better than Daim Blond, in my opinion. Much more going for it.

As far as my immediate regrets, yes, I have had a few. Most are early on in my fragrance years. Armani White He, Burberry Touch,...etc... . Now, I use online shopping so I can think in my own comfort zone...if that makes sense. I still have had regrets though as of late.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Tom Ford Italian Cypress. In the store, on my skin... smelled great. Went back, tried it again, loved it, bought it. Got it home, there's something in it that smells like BO. Took back the bottle, got a new one. Same thing. But the tester smells great still, somehow.

Switched to Oud Wood instead, happy since.

Terre de Hermes, bought it after a long day of sampling, but on my first full wear there was something about the flint/earth note that I found nauseating. The frag would make me physically ill.

Tiffany for Men. Bought a sample from a BN'er, smelled fantastic. One day maybe a year later, after a long day of sampling new stuff at the mall and finding nothing, I popped into Tiffany's and bought a full bottle. Turned out to be nothing like my memory of the sample.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress. In the store, on my skin... smelled great. Went back, tried it again, loved it, bought it. Got it home, there's something in it that smells like BO.
    That must be why I like it.
    Last edited by Carlos; 6th February 2010 at 03:28 AM.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Double whammy for me. I bought Kiss Him and Lavin Oxygene at the same store, because they had a discounted mix 'n match deal.
    The Kiss fragrance I grew to hate within days. The Oxygene is not so bad, but it gets very few wearings. I have been complimented on it when I do wear it. Still, it's too generic. I liked it when it first came out.