Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: JPG Le Male or Bvlgari Black?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Le Male

30 36.14%
  • Black

53 63.86%
    Post Thanks / Like

Default JPG Le Male vs. Bvlgari Black

Hi all,

i'm wanting to buy another fragrance, and looking at a few options. The main ones on the table are Bvlgari Black and Le Male. I was never really that into Le Male in the past, but in the past few weeks i've had a few tests of it and i've completely changed my tune. It's incredible stuff. The minty opening and sweet-yet-not-overly-sweet vanilla powder is pretty intoxicating.

Now With my recent tests of Le Male, I wanted to try another vanilla-ey scent, and Bvlgari's Black is one i've always wanted to try but just haven't been able to test it since no stores around me stock it, and I don't really feel like paying for samples. If I were to get Black it would have to be a blind buy, but i'm not sure that is wise since people often comment on the rubber note which definitely makes it a possibly offensive scent to some people.

So what do you guys think of these fragrances?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: JPG Le Male vs. Bvlgari Black

Bvlgari Black had a poor longevity on me, surprisingly so because most of scents last long on me, and JPG Le Male lasts very, very long time. Black has that rubber note I didn't like at all.

My advice is that you do try Bvlgari Black first, you might like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Between the two, I prefer Black by a mile, but I wouldn't get it unsniffed unless you're willing to sell it off or hold and revisit. It's quirky and you might like it or you might hate it. I haven't decided if I *need* to own yet, but I do really like Black because of it's uniqueness. But then again I do find Le Male too sweet (for me). Maybe attempt a swap and then swap it out again if unsatisfied.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

I'd go for the Black because it's so unique. Having said that, I do also like Le Male.

Get both?
    Last edited by great_badir; 5th February 2010 at 12:40 PM.

Le Male for me. Excellent sillage and longetivity.
    Last edited by dreamer81; 5th February 2010 at 12:45 PM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I personally prefer Bulgari Black. But it has a weird rubber note that could turn you off, so you really should try to sample it first.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

+1 to all above. Basically I prefer Black because it's more interesting, but I almost never wear it. It's pretty weird and I have to be in a quirky mood. Certainly not something I wear every day and if it didn't have such a cool bottle I would have just bought a decant instead for occasions. I think Male is a bit "overdone", ie popular but it's good and girls like it. Just don't overapply. I think it's more versatile and less likely to have someone go "ewww, what's that burning rubber smell".
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Le Male by far.

Post Thanks / Like

Le Male by far...................................faaaaaaaaar! !

Post Thanks / Like

I nearly voted for both, honestly
    because if you like quirkier, more youthful (but not immature, generic teeny-smelling), slightly more casual and still edgy, Bvlgari Balck is the right one
    if you want something more Oriental, a bit fore formal, slightly heavier (but not in an overpowering way), with woody-spicy notes bordering a gourmand frag, Le male is the suitable choice

Post Thanks / Like

I own and like both, but if I really have to choose one I'll go with Le Male.

Le Male is more appealing and has proved to be one of the all time best sellers. I still get a whiff of it from people today. One negative point about it is that its opening notes are very synthetic and IMO don't blend well. It takes a long time to start shining and it's also really in your face so have to go light in summer.

Bvlgari Black is my favorite from Bvlgari, perhaps the most favorite. Its burnt rubber note is outstanding, and the base of vanilla is delightful. But, this one is unique and as you have said, could be offensive to some people, especially those who've only showered themselves with aquatic, fresh fragrance.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I nearly voted for both, honestly
    because if you like quirkier, more youthful (but not immature, generic teeny-smelling), slightly more casual and still edgy, Bvlgari Balck is the right one
    if you want something more Oriental, a bit fore formal, slightly heavier (but not in an overpowering way), with woody-spicy notes bordering a gourmand frag, Le male is the suitable choice
    I don't lie LeMale, think it's a bit overdone by too many people, but it's really a pretty good frag. I echo Ken Russell's insights.
    I do think B Black is more classic, less worn and edgier.

OH, YE GODS!

Do not compare such unworthy liquid (Le Male) to the likes of Bvlgari's Black!

And to see that it's even a close call? Gee Louise!

Post Thanks / Like

Before you get either one you have to try out John Varvatos (original).

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I prefer JPG Le Male; it's more complex, strong at first but the heart and dry down are floral, powdery but masculine and wearable. Bulgari Black is boring and non-descript...it's nice, but Le Male is just different. The Lavender and Vanilla is nice. But to be honest you are the best judge in the end. You have to try them both on your skin, wear each for an hour or so and then make your final judgement. Some may think that JPG Le Male is over worn by the masses, but that should tell you that it is more popular, besides, all colognes smell differently on each individual person; they will mix differently with your chemistry. Try them both out then come back and tell us which you prefer.

Easiest comparison yet. Le Male! Bvlgari Black smells like rubber and sh!t.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Black is one of my favorite colognes, so it gets my vote. But I don't have much experience with Le Male so I can't comment on it.

Neither! Caron Pour un Homme, or as a second choice if you think the Caron is too minimalist, Joop Thrill

Can I please vote 100 times for Black? I think Le Male is the 90's olfactory equivalent of platform shoes in the 70's: generations to come will be wondering "how on earth could they be wearing this?"

Le Male

Better sillage, longevity, gets a ton of compliments. Bvlgari black just stinks to me, its that rubber note that turns me off.
    Le Male is def in my top 5.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going with Bulgari Black because it has more restraint and uniqueness to compared to Le Male. But interms of longevity and sillage Le Male wins hand down.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: JPG Le Male vs. Bvlgari Black

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    Can I please vote 100 times for Black? I think Le Male is the 90's olfactory equivalent of platform shoes in the 70's: generations to come will be wondering "how on earth could they be wearing this?"

Smeghead, you have my permission to look up my reviews on both
    (awfully big of me, I know)
    You also have my permission to go to a better dept store where the SA's are not (expletive deleted)
    and ask for a whiff of B.Black. They should have a tester.
    Really if they don't they deserve someone politely asking to see their mgr, super or grand punjab.
    If refused, reply: " I fear I shall run amok. "
    It gets their attention.

Meanwhile I am fighting the temptation to start a thread entitled

Axe vs Patou Pour Homme

But it's too easy. Jean Patou is such an old man's smell.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 5th February 2010 at 11:50 PM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    Before you get either one you have to try out John Varvatos (original).
    I would definitely get John Varvatos above Bvlgari Black but Le Male is a bit different. Within the first hour John Varvatos is similar but after that it dries down to something more along the lines of Burberry London or Armani Attitude.

But between Bvlgari Black and Le Male definitely Le Male. Regardless of the hatred for it here, it's a great scent with excellent sillage and longevity and warrants plenty of compliments. It's just most of the people that do wear it wear WAY too much and tend to ruin it.

Post Thanks / Like

Bit of an update, I decided to go for Black. I actually was walking in town yesterday and I smelled it Le Male on someone. That reminded me just how ubiquitous and popular it is and completely turned me off. Plus it's one of those scents that is so popular that as people have already said, you get those stupid teenagers who just douse themselves in it and that just turned me off of it completely. It's a great scent, but the popularity ruins it.

So I was gonna buy a small 8ml (~0.28oz) sample of Black from ebay, but the bottle is so damn cheap now. The sample auction ends tonight but is already at £9 with shipping, and a 40ml (1.4oz) bottle costs just £15, so that's 5 times the amount plus you get the full box and bottle and everything for just £5 extra. I figured why not? Should be arriving tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Hardly Le Male wearers where I'm from...but even less Bvlgari Black wearers. I've learned that what might be mainstream for someone or some country, doesn't need to be mainstream in some other part of the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for Le Male, cause I assumed you're searching for a frag that would make an impession, and for that Le male is better. Black is very private, intimate scent, only for your enjoyment and for someone(very, very) close to you...

Le Male is just so... well, GAY. I dunno where you're from but it's the smell that seems to hang in a stagnant, overly sweet cloud over every metropolitan gay 'village' in the world. It's also horribly dated - but even today you can't enter a bar on London's Old Compton Street or Berlin's Motstzraße without choking on the stuff.

And like many a gay man, one squirt and it'll out-stay it's welcome.

Bvulgari Black, on the other hand, is clever, sophisticated, totally original, and happily experimental with its rubber predilection. It's DEFINITELY what I think you should go for. True, it doesn't have the 'muscle' of JPG's campfest but, hey, I know who I'd rather spend the night with.

By the way. I'm gay.

;o)
    * BVLGARI Black * SANTA MARIA NOVELLA Nostalgia * KNIZE Ten * DEMETER Tarnish *

Post Thanks / Like

Le Male is more appealing and well-received, Black is more artistic and pensive. One gets boring fast, the other says enticing. I voted for Black.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Bvlgari Black
    I find it more masculine

Post Thanks / Like

Bulgari Black by a MILE.

Post Thanks / Like

Bulgari black is more unique, more masculine and has a great dry down. First smell "do i want to smell like weird rubber for a couple of hours?"...second smell: "hell yeah". The vanilla drydown is excellent-- the vanilla overall is well done and I'm not much of a fan of vanilla either.

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny how so many people slate Acqua Di Gio for being "common", yet don't slate Le Male for the same thing. It's been worn in nightclubs constantly over here since it came out. Common as muck, one might say.

Post Thanks / Like

Bvlgari Black easily gets my vote in this poll...
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Post Thanks / Like

Bulgari Black, by far!

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't stomach the rubber in BB but could see how some like it.... not a "safe" choice though IMO. Le Male is safer but I don't like it at all, same with Varvatos, too sweet and cloying.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy the uniqueness of the rubber note in Bulgari Black balanced by the soft powder and vanilla. Bulgari's best.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Post Thanks / Like

2day i tried Bvlgari Black for the first time

i only smell the leather for like the first 20 minutes

after that all i smell is vanilla and it reminds to le male a lot

longevityi s good, it has aBout 6 hours onmy skin

But i think it's pretty close to the skin

Post Thanks / Like

Go for Black...

Post Thanks / Like

Black for me

I love Le Male. But recently have tried Bvlgari Black and loved it like no other fragrance in a long time.

I will buy a large bottle ASAP.

I'd buy both, but if I have to choose one, at this time, Bvlgari Black.

JEAN PAUL GAULTIER'S LE MALE BY FAAAAAAAAAAAAAR. in my opinion of course

On the normal world Le Male will win with about 90% of the votes.