Code of Conduct

Exclamation What is the ideal skin care routine for men?

I am soon going to turn 34 and am beginning to get a bit worried about my facial skin. I am not facing any particular problem with my skin but am getting concerned that I am not doing enough (read anything) to take care of my face. I believe that it is very important that one starts to look after one's face during these years and the neglect or the care taken at this time, will clearly reflect on the face as one steps into the 40's. It's a long way to go but sometimes it feels that time is just flying

I would like to hear some suggestions on building a face care routine that helps my face look good, healthy & glowing. My current routine is fairly simple.

I have been using Neutrogena® Oil-Free Acne Wash for over 4 years.

It has helped me tackle my acne problem quite successfully. During this time, I did have a few periods of breakouts but I think those were more hormonal & I had to take some prescribed medication to treat them. I always wash my face twice a day with this.

My skin feels really dry after I've used this and to counter that I apply
    L'oreal Men Expert Erase Wrinkles Anti-expression Lines Moisturising Cream

I find this moisturiser extremely good as it's not sticky at all plus I feel psychologically better that I am using some face cream that has anti wrinkle properties. I am not quite sure though how good it really is or does it really have some ingredients to back its claims.

Well that's it. That's what my routine is and I am just getting this feeling that I should raise the bar.

For shaving, I just use spray foam and Schick Quattro.
    To tackle skin burn, I use Amway Dynamite After Shave Moisturiser

I do however use sunscreen rarely. Only on days that I may have to step out in the sun for an extended period of time. The sunscreen that I use is
    Loreal UV Perfect Daily Moisturising Lotion SPF 30

I think I know the answer to this question but 'Do I need to wear sunscreen everyday, even when I am not stepping out?'

Please advise on what cleansers/exfoliaters/moisturing cream/sunscreen/night cream/serum etc. should I use to combat & possibly delay the inevitable.
    Thanks in advance for all your suggestions and help.

Default Re: What is the ideal skin care routine for men?

I do advise to wear sunscreen every day even if you're staying indoors (I think the one you're using is good)... And some good anti-oxidant serum or cream. Clinique has a good one called Super Rescue Antioxidant Night Moisturizer (you have it for dry, combination and oily skin).

To prevent acne, and believe me, I know a bunch about acne, I recommend using Paula's Choice 2% BHA (you have it in lotion, gel or liquid) together with her benzoyl peroxide cream for stubborn areas. This can be a little bit drying, so make sure you use something emollient that won't cause you breakouts (like the Clinique above).

As for the routine:

AM
    - Cleanse
    - Sunscreen

PM
    - Cleanse
    - Exfoliate
    - Moisturize (with anti-oxidants)

This is what I do and, so far so good...

My routine is similar to Baldufita's but I use a toner twice day. So far the effectiveness of my Biotherm Homme T Pur toner is minimal at best so when my bottle finishes I don't think I will use toners anymore. I have just recently incorporated the use of sunscreen in my daily routine but I still a bit uncomfortable with the slightly sticky finish of my sunscreen. I guess I just need to get used to it. So far the products that has given me the best results are Avene Diacneal and Biotherm Homme T Pur SOS moisturizer.

Careful with using Clinique toners, especially the men scruffing lotions. I previously used the toner with 5% benzoyl peroxide gel and the skin dryness was scary to say the least. But the Clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel/ M Gel Lotion remain one of the lightest moisturizers I have used. However, they are just too basic to warrant such as high price so I stopped buying.

Your current routine is good and maybe a little tweaking here and there and u will get better results. I think a face scrub and face mask will be good addition. Don't forget sunscreen too
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Gupts,

"Ideal" is a bit hard to articulate over the Internet. It's a question of what's ideal for your skin. You are doing the right things, you just may want to review which products you're using.

Morning:

Cleanse - great that you're not using soap. I'd probably change the cleanser - you've commented on its drying properties. I use the one made by Natio for Men "Daily Face Wash". If you wanted to step it up, I'd encourage use with a facial brush, or wash cloth / flannel.

Exfoliate - I'm an advocate for chemical exfoliation. It's done wonders for my skin - and this will also deal with your acne, or the potential of acne. Beta Hydroxy Acid products (salicylic acid) supposedly clean inside the pore as well, and so are great for blackheads. I use the Paula's Choice BHA solution 2% liquid. (You can get it in a gel, and also in a 1% formulation).

Anti-oxidant serum - Again, I use the Paula's Choice product mainly because it's inexpensive. I'd also recommend Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair Complex; or Skinceuticals C E Ferulic (DJs carry Skinceuticals).

Moisturiser - I previously used the L'Oreal Men Expert products (I still use the shaving gel) but I think there are better products out there (and at numerous retail price points). My current favourites: Clinique for Men M Lotion or Oil Control Hydrator - depending on how oily your skin is (expect to pay $55 instead of $15 for the L'Oreal); or the Armani Skin Minerals for Men Regerating Cream which I think is a fantastic product (and for the better part of $150 it would need to be!)

Sunscreen. Yes, you know the answer. In this country, SPF 30 every single day (notwithstanding consulting the UV Index). You are protecting yourself against ageing and burning; and the ageing happens without burning - depending on your skin and the UV Index you've got less than 5 minutes in the sun - don't risk it. And those UV rays don't care about glass in the car or the tram - they get through. This season I've been using the Neutrogena UltraSheer Dry Touch - it's great. There are two almost identically packaged - I choose the one for oily skin. - although your current product is just fine.

Evening:

Cleanse as per morning. Exfoliate as per morning. Anti-oxidant serum as per morning.

You may want to moisturise in the evening instead of the morning.

Possible add-on: eye cream. Depends on if you want to target your eyes or not. I do, and I'm a convert to Lancome's Genifique Youth Activator Eye Concentrate.

Occasional treat: Face mask - something with clay and sulphur preferably.

Anti-ageing: Apart from daily use of sunscreen, retinol is *the* anti-ageing product. You could use this at night as a moisturiser. Retinoids will be found in a number of products, but a specific retinol product is pretty hard to come by over-the-counter in Australia. I've purchased the Skin Ceuticals 1% over the net, but haven't got it into my routine yet. This is essentially Vitamin A, and will - in effect - peel your skin. So go easy; and always use sun screen if you use a retinol product.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    My skin feels really dry after I've used this and to counter that I apply
    L'oreal Men Expert Erase Wrinkles Anti-expression Lines Moisturising Cream
    Combating the damage caused by one chemical product with another doesn't seem to be very sensible idea, plus, I would never really trust an "anti-wrinkle" product. I believe less is more here, but then again, I've never suffered from severe acne.

I started cleaning my face with oil a year or so ago and have better skin than ever.

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

Easy and gives better results than expensive skincare products. The ingredients in a common cream are things like water, thickeners, film formers, oils, emulsifiers, preservatives, trace amounts of botanical extracts... Nothing revolutionary, a good oil is healthier and more nourishing for your skin.
    Last edited by tott; 7th February 2010 at 11:08 PM.

the patrick bateman routine

lol, seriously though.. i just drink water and thats been enough to make my skin look healthier and clearer.
    i just wash my face and use clearasil on my face before bed.
    i used to use the clearasil pads but they made my face shiny and oily looking even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldufita View Post
    This is what I do and, so far so good...
    It sure is working Baldufita....I have seen the pic :-)
    Thanks for sharing your secret.

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    I have just recently incorporated the use of sunscreen in my daily routine but I still a bit uncomfortable with the slightly sticky finish of my sunscreen. I guess I just need to get used to it.
    This is precisely the reason why I don't like to use sunscreen. I have tried a few & found that all of them have make my face look slightly 'oily'. They all quite literally put a sort of an oily layer on the face which I don't quite like but I guess that's the way sunscreens are. Like you, I'd have to get used to them.

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    Combating the damage caused by one chemical product with another doesn't seem to be very sensible idea, plus, I would never really trust an "anti-wrinkle" product. I believe less is more here, but then again, I've never suffered from severe acne.
    I think all acne cleansers inherently will dry your skin because oily skin is the biggest culprit responsible for acne.
    Not sure if you've noticed after using most general face cleansers, the skin feels a bit tight and that is why it's important to moisturize.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I started cleaning my face with oil a year or so ago and have better skin than ever.
    Interesting alternative there mate. I never imagined one could just use 'oil' on facial skin and get away with good results.
    I'd surely have a look.

@ Dr. Rudi

As always, thank you so much for chipping in. I really appreciate it.
    I might PM you for some more advice/clarification. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    I have just recently incorporated the use of sunscreen in my daily routine but I still a bit uncomfortable with the slightly sticky finish of my sunscreen. I guess I just need to get used to it.
    This is precisely the reason why I don't like to use sunscreen. I have tried a few & found that all of them have make my face look slightly 'oily'. They all quite literally put a sort of an oily layer on the face which I don't quite like but I guess that's the way sunscreens are. Like you, I'd have to get used to them.
    Gupts - you just have to find the right sunscreen. As I posted earlier, I use the 'oil free' - Neutrogena Face Ultra Sheer Light-Weight Daily - it's SPF30 and should cost you no more than $15 at the local chemist (you might even find it cheaper at your supermarket). I think the other version is called 'hydrating' - but the two bottles are very similar, so look carefully at the label. The so-called ''dry-touch technology'', gives them a light-weight, clean feel. According to Neutrogena, the micronised silica powder in the formulation absorbs excess sunscreen oils and won't clog pores. You don't feel like you're wearing a sunscreen. Highly recommended. Happy to respond to any PM.

Cheers

It sure is working Baldufita....I have seen the pic :-)
    Thanks for sharing your secret.
    Thank you! My secret is just called Paula Begoun... I love her to bits... Just when, after two rounds of Accutane, I was starting to dispear because my acne wasn't going away, I found her, started using her BHA and the acne was gone... I wish I had known sooner.

My advice is the same as Dr. Rudi: try her BHA. I would recommend starting with 1% liquid, just to get used to it, and then, switch to 2% liquid (liquid is the lightest form she has in texture, so is safer for us, acne-prone people).

Just tell us how you're doing, and any Q you might have, just shoot!

Hey...don't want to hijack the topic, but I have a similar question. My face care routine basically involves cleaning with Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser. Thats it. What else on the cheap can I do because my face is still pretty jacked up.

Quote Originally Posted by mrshackleford View Post
    Hey...don't want to hijack the topic, but I have a similar question. My face care routine basically involves cleaning with Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser. Thats it. What else on the cheap can I do because my face is still pretty jacked up.
    You definetly need a sunscreen and an exfoliating product! Which type of skin do you have? Dry, Normal or Oily?

Well after going through all the suggestions I've finally chalked out a skin care plan for myself. It is long and tedious but I am sure it will be well worth all the time and money. It goes like this:

AM

Cleanse:
    Paula's Choice One Step Face Cleanser or Natio for men

Exfoliate:
    Paula's Choice 1% Beta Hydroxy Acid Gel

Anti oxidant:
    Skinceuticals C E Ferulic

Moisturise: Loreal UV Perfect Daily Moisturising Lotion SPF 30 (I will change this once I exhaust my current stock of this)

PM

Cleanse:
    Paula's Choice One Step Face Cleanser or Natio for men

Exfoliate:
    Skinceuticals Retinol 0.5

Moisturise: Skinceuticals Renew Overnight Dry cream or Paula's Skin Recovery Super Anti Oxidant concentrate

So what do you guys think of this schedule? Do you reckon its complete and tackles all areas?
    Thanks again to everyone for all the precious advice.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post

Easy and gives better results than expensive skincare products. The ingredients in a common cream are things like water, thickeners, film formers, oils, emulsifiers, preservatives, trace amounts of botanical extracts... Nothing revolutionary, a good oil is healthier and more nourishing for your skin.
    DHC, a Japanese company, have a line of oil cleansers. I have not tried this but it is tempting to try.

I stick to that Victorian staple for skin: cold cream. Mostly mineral oil these days, but you can but olive-oil based products. In the good old days, whale oil was used!

http://www.dhccare.com/DHC/ProductDe...atalog=dhc+usa
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th February 2010 at 12:57 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

My skin is normal leaning towards oily.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    DHC, a Japanese company, have a line of oil cleansers. I have not tried this but it is tempting to try.

I stick to that Victorian staple for skin: cold cream. Mostly mineral oil these days, but you can but olive-oil based products. In the good old days, whale oil was used!

http://www.dhccare.com/DHC/ProductDe...atalog=dhc+usa
    Seems interesting, thanks for sharing!

I crow about one product. Zirh "Clean." Use everyday before I shave. It's an alpha hydroxy wash and I've used for 12 years. I swear it has made a huge difference in my skin and wrinkles and I'm a pretty old guy compared to many in here. Dermalogica makes a good cleanser too.

If you're late 30s, you should look into some face care routines now, it pays dividends down the road. And be clear, though I'm a "metrosexual" from way back, I'm not talking about major male beauty regimes, just a couple of simple steps daily. Bear in mind it's like consistent exercise. You don't expect to see results from one month of working out. But look at what happens after a year or so.

Take it from a old mother f-er who looks pretty damn good for his age.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 15th February 2010 at 10:14 PM.

My skin is normal leaning towards oily.
    Er, would you like to be more specific ? 'Jacked up' doesn't mean anything to me. Specifically what skin problem(s) do you have? And how old are you ? Otherwise the basics are pretty simple:

AM
    - Cleanse
    - Anti-oxidant serum
    - Sunscreen

PM
    - Cleanse
    - Anti-oxidant serum
    - Moisturise

So, you have a good start by using the Cetaphil Daily Cleanser - beloved of dermatolgogists everywhere.

You can play around with moisturiser in the morning; and we can talk about AHAs and BHAs to control acne; and face masks and scrubs and toners and retinoids - but let's find out what's "wrong" first.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Er, would you like to be more specific ? 'Jacked up' doesn't mean anything to me. Specifically what skin problem(s) do you have? And how old are you ? Otherwise the basics are pretty simple:

AM
    - Cleanse
    - Anti-oxidant serum
    - Sunscreen

PM
    - Cleanse
    - Anti-oxidant serum
    - Moisturise

So, you have a good start by using the Cetaphil Daily Cleanser - beloved of dermatolgogists everywhere.

You can play around with moisturiser in the morning; and we can talk about AHAs and BHAs to control acne; and face masks and scrubs and toners and retinoids - but let's find out what's "wrong" first.
    Dr. Rudi u sound like a mechanic trying to diagnose what's wrong with the engine LOL

But once again great advice from you.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

I have combination skin. It never dries out and it isn't particularly oily. My clores are pretty clogged. Not much of an acne problem, but I do get sporadic pimples every now and then. I've developed a little routine:

AM
    Cetalphil Cleanser
    Beyond Belief Vita-C Antioxidant Serum
    Cetalphil Facial Moisturizer with SPF

PM
    Cetaphil Cleanser(2 days a week I sub in Beyond Belief ABH Exfoliating Scrub)
    Beyond Belief Vita-C Antioxidant Serum
    Beyond Belief ABH Oil Free Moisturizer

Cool Re: What is the ideal skin care routine for men?

How about getting a facial once very two weeks?
    Expensive, to be sure.--In this economy right now I can barely afford soap

But the results I've seen on those who use facials as a regular routine are outstanding!
    Especially those over 40.
    Fly first class . . .

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 23rd March 2010 at 06:16 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Here's a blog I came across recently. It gives practical and simple routine on men skin care. check it out here:

http://sensualsideofmen.com/2011/05/...ning-pays-off/

I see now great tips have already been mentioned...and I'm a bit late here haha
    So I'll just be quiet. BTW Paulas Choice products are great, so if one doesnt work out try another (or sample), skin is a bit tricky I've found.
    But anyway healthy food, and living (and lots of alcohol now and again ; ) ) sure makes a difference. Maybe some dietery supplements like vitamin E and C...and whatnot (those are in lots and lots of stuff people might be putting on their faces anyway).

I use this Cleanser everyday, in the shower:

http://www.nivea.com.au/products/men...tive-Face-Wash

I use this moisturiser every second day, after showering:

http://www.nivea.com.au/products/men...ve-Moisturiser

I shave every three-five days, and use the following:

http://www.theartofshaving.com/shop/...ing-kits/98057

If shaving falls on a moisturizing day, I don't moisturise, as the kit's after shave balm does the trick.

I find that when I moisturise every day, my skin tends to break out in mini pimples, and when I moisture less than every second day, my skin becomes flakey (particularly on the forehead). Every second day is the sweet spot.
    My good reputation gave me a friend that I don't know.

Whatever suits the man.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I'm having difficulties with finding stuff good for really dry skin. Some days I am completely normal, but others I am flaky. My derm recommended I tan for 5 or so minutes a week, and when I do, my dry skin is gone. But I do have sensitive skin. I use Aveenos oatmeal cream for my face which includes a sunscreen. Other than that I was my face with Cetaphil.

I am looking for stuff to help with my flaky skin and sensitivity without much scent. Any recommendations? What I am doing now is still leaving my face feel nit hydrated enough. I'm sure I need to exfoliate, but am nervous about the affects on my skin. I hink a PM moisturizer will help tremendously as well!
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Post Re: What is the ideal skin care routine for men?

I'm a 40 year old guy and my skin care ritual is this:

I shower and shave 5-6 times a week, so take 1-2 days off

5-6 days a week:

Morning routine:

¤Wash face with Clinique face soap extra mild

¤Shave using high quality shave cream, Silvertip badger brush and a combo of DE razor and Fusion razor.

¤Close up the shaved area with first a little dap of Speick AS Lotion followed by a hybrid of Proraso Balm & Proraso Splash and end the AS ritual using a tiny bit of Edwin Jagger AloeVera AS Balm (Winter) or Clinique Post Shave Healer (Summer)

¤Exfoliate my entire face with Clinique Scruffing Lotion 1(Winter)/Scruffing Lotion 2(Summer)

¤Then a tiny bit of Clinique M Lotion Gel(Summer) or Clinique M Lotion Cream(Winter)

¤Then 2-3 drops of Clinique Laser Repair Focus around the eye area and forehead are - basically where wrinkles start to appear

¤Clinique All About eyes followed by Lancome Men Rénergy 3D Yeux aound my eyes

¤Clinique Youth Surge SPF 15 Oil Free version on entire face area in very thin layer or Lancome Men Rénergy 3D Face Cream in very thin layer

Finito!

Evening Routine:

3-4 days a week I also have an evening ritual (when I have been to the gym)

¤Wash face with Clinique face soap extra mild

¤Exfoliate my entire face with Clinique Scruffing Lotion 1(Winter)/Scruffing Lotion 2(Summer)

¤Then a tiny bit of Clinique M Lotion Gel(Summer) or Clinique M Lotion Cream(Winter)

¤Then 2-3 drops of Clinique Laser Repair Focus around the eye area and forehead are - basically where wrinkles start to appear

¤Clinique All About eyes

¤Clinique Youth Surge Night Oil Free version on entire face area in very thin layer or Lancome Men Rénergy 3D Face Cream in very thin layer

Finito!

I do have oily skin on the T-area, so I often dap a little bit of Clinique Scruffing Lotion on these area during the day, if I see the need to do so

Some find my skin care ritual excessive, but compared to women in general, it's pretty ordinary
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by Regis Philbin View Post
    I'm having difficulties with finding stuff good for really dry skin. Some days I am completely normal, but others I am flaky. My derm recommended I tan for 5 or so minutes a week, and when I do, my dry skin is gone. But I do have sensitive skin. I use Aveenos oatmeal cream for my face which includes a sunscreen. Other than that I was my face with Cetaphil.

I am looking for stuff to help with my flaky skin and sensitivity without much scent. Any recommendations? What I am doing now is still leaving my face feel nit hydrated enough. I'm sure I need to exfoliate, but am nervous about the affects on my skin. I hink a PM moisturizer will help tremendously as well!
    I would recommend a gentle exfoliator, I don't know if you have this around town, but try Lush's "Angels on Bare Skin", it is a good Exfoliator but not harsh. One of the best products I have used honestly.

In terms of a moisturizer, I would recommend Garnier Shine Control moisturizer, its a good moisturizer but with the clay really helps out with the factor of keeping shine down. If your not worried about shine, or not succeptable to breaking out, try Lush' Skin Drink, a really thick excellent quality face cream.

Here is a trick, apply at night before going to bed, this really helps to tackle dry skin.

Also, respond to my pm
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

same question what i was looking for mens skin care.As so many client of mine asked me give some good products name for mens make-up, now a days many of men are looking for skin care product as well as mens make-up.
    At last i found some good products from here http://www.mensmake-up.co.uk/.
    I suggest you may try ...

Very diversified in my case, I tend to alternate my routines quite a bit, so it might be slightly too soon for an answer

As an near-off-topic remark: I recently discovered an Aloe Vera gel, very affordable yet good quality which complements my face care routine just perfectly, I use it regularly, a few times a day and it relaxes, sooths and moisturizes my skin in a very satisfactory manner