Code of Conduct

Default Opinion of commoners on "Black Aoud" by Montale

I like Black Aoud a lot, but for some reason I am somewhat afraid to wear it outside.
    It hold such tremendous power (silage) + the smell is definitely something different than main-stream...
    What are the comments you get from "normal" people and how much do you spray on?

thanks in advance for the replies!

Default Re: Opinion of commoners on "Black Aoud" by Montale

Definitely need to go easy on the trigger on this one. Even so, most "normal" folk will not really have smelled anything like it before.

When I first bought the bottle and wore it, she looked at me quizzically and said knowingly "yeah, yeah, I know - fox pee and saw dust." Or was that Dzing!...........

I'm not much help here as I'm still a bit wary of applying my sample to my skin...

"It smells like hippies in here"

- Casual Observer

I wore it to work a few times and our accounant came in and she commented that I smelled like "a really expensive spa."

I think I know what you mean. I love the dry, medicinal, almost leathery smell of oud, but it's not exactly a crowd pleaser. As a woman, I am partial to White Aoud which is softer and has some vanilla. I love, love it but am also pretty wimpy about wearing it out. I probably will at some point, though. I think Black Aoud could probably be particularly stunning on a man applied judiciously so I say take a chance and go for it! What's the worst that could happen?
    Last edited by sharilstuff; 8th February 2010 at 12:22 AM.

me and my friend wear it out quite often
    nothing but compliments
    I say try it with 1-2 sprays and post back!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

The only comments I get are positive. Two sprays for me are enough.

Compliments all the way--including sexy ones. I use 4 sprays (including wrist and neck). Usually, by the time others smell me, the scent has softened a bit. This one is very special to me.
    IMO, it's not the oud that gets people's attention in this although I'm sure it's part of what they experience as "unusual." I think it's more about the rose/patchouli combo.
    RM

I only wear one spray. No comments from anyone other than my wife. But then she hates rose!

Quote Originally Posted by ApacheRosePeacock View Post
    I wore it to work a few times and our accounant came in and she commented that I smelled like "a really expensive spa."
    I know exactly what she meant. Most people here say it is a "dark" scent (probably because of precoceived ideas associated with "black") but to me it smells like the freshest rose around, almost a florist refrigerator smell. The focus definately not on aoud!
    I wear my usual 4 sprays (neck and wrists) and people usually compliment me. I must admit I might be training their noses with my scents because the other day I wore Patchouli 24 in a room full of people I see quite often and everybody kept saying how beautiful this was, which I didn't quite expect

Sur la Plage

Only comment I got was "You smell good".
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Only comment I got was "You smell good".
    This

hmmm, guess I'll just give it a shot tmw. I don't mind if I don't get any compliments, just hope I don't get any negative comments though XD

btw. anyone tried to layer this, succesfully?

layering montale's sounds like trying to enhance a nova explosion

Forgive me for asking the original poster here, but how does one pronounce your user name, 王家名?

It is one of only a handful in Basenotes that I cannot read as a word or character-by-character!

Did somone say "layering?"
    Why of course. I love layering BA with Kiehl's Musk OIL (not EDT) or Norma Kamali Incense Perfume. Obviously, you keep the total application amount in control but the combination is wonderful and SEXY especially with musk. I would imagine other simple musks or incense would work well too. These are very varsatile notes and I often use them to layer with other things too.
    RM

Ive really wanted to try Black Aoud, but the price has made the purchase almost impossible......if only i wasnt still in college. But ive only heard good things, and have absolutely loved every other oud fragrance ive tried.

And btw his name is pronounced Wang Jia Ming
    King/Ruler-House-Name/Surname
    only a word by word translation

I would use an alternative to the usual spraying locations for a very powerful scent such as this, particularly on debuting it in your public life.

I wouldn't spray to the chest or neck or anywhere near the solar plexus, as this is a body area that tends to warm and push a scent to the fore. I would use a spray divided between both wrists, and then one spray to the small of my back. If any fragrance got on my fingertips, I'd dab the tops of my shoulders (the delts). This pattern of scent distribution would give you an aura of Black Aoud (or any other powerful scent) without projecting too much. Of course, it matters how many layers of clothing you're wearing. If you were in a tank top and shorts, this might be too much, whereas in a shirt, trousers and a jacket or sweater, it would be perfect.

Just my two yuan on the subject - but it's worked for me - most recently with the very potent Patchouli Homme by Patricia de Nicolai.

Hi,

Last time I wore this I was practically embarrassed due to a co-workers reaction.

I try it putting on at least 30 minutes before leaving the house.

I tend to spray it on my hands (2 shots) and rub it on my upper chest, underneath my tee shirt.

What is left on my hands I use with a scentless shaving balm--the scent is still there because it adheres to the balm.

Throughout the day there will be a pleasant effusion. It is a compromise but modifiable.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by labtek99 View Post
    Hi,

Last time I wore this I was practically embarrassed due to a co-workers reaction.

I try it putting on at least 30 minutes before leaving the house.

I tend to spray it on my hands (2 shots) and rub it on my upper chest, underneath my tee shirt.

What is left on my hands I use with a scentless shaving balm--the scent is still there because it adheres to the balm.

Throughout the day there will be a pleasant effusion. It is a compromise but modifiable.

Hope this helps.
    So, what was the reaction?

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    layering montale's sounds like trying to enhance a nova explosion
    lol!
    Last edited by magnnum; 10th February 2010 at 11:39 PM.

If you want a nice rosy incense then I would better suggest Czech and Speake's No88. It is more wearable and has a much nicer rose note there. I will never buy or use Black Aoud because I know the majority of people smelling it will not 'get it' and start thinking you have scrubbed incense on yourself.

And that for me defeats the very purpose of buying perfumes, after all the 'avant garde' concepts in niche perfumes they should at least smell pleasant to people around you and not confuse them.

If you persist on a Montale then buy Blue Amber. Now this is one scent that smells very good and will definitely give people around you more positive vibes.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Let me put it simple....Go to a city and walk around, the amount of people you walk past...no one will know it's you...So enjoy it on a regular basis :P

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

家名, I go one spray on the neck and done. Have gotten compliments from Taiwanese people in department stores as they have never smelled it before.