Code of Conduct

Thread: I crave limes!

Smile I crave limes!

Hi guys! I have had this obsession for quite some time; I'm in search for the perfect lime fragrance. I'm going to order the whole grooming range of some lime fragrance one of these days. Just checking if you guys have some good ideas. Trumper's is a strong candidate at the moment, I enjoy it quite abit. What other options are there? I've heard Truefitt & Hill's West Indian Limes is sweet and can get kind of synthetic in the drydown? Synthetic drydown is a definite no here. I'm looking for very simple, natural and sparkling lime scent, not the likes of Selection Verte or Virgin Island Water, where lime is just one of the players. I would also be very interested to hear about lime grooming products of for example Trumper's and Truefitt & Hill.

Any ideas?

Default Re: I crave limes!

Trumper's is my favorite, but this is nice also:
    https://www.stjohnsbayrum.com/default.asp

Original Source Lime shower is very limey indeed:
    http://www.originalsource.co.uk/
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Sounds like you want some linear, almost single note lime frags? There are the trad old English companies of course - Trumpers, T&H, Floris and Taylors of Old Bond Street do simple, traditional lime frags. Of these I think Trumpers is the most authentic, though many say Floris do the best one. T&H is good, but lacks intensity. TOBS lime is meh.

There's also Royall Lymes. Not quite a linear lime scent, but very definitely lime all the way through and probably the longest lasting proper lime I know of.

Jo Malone, Crabtree & Evelyn, Castle Forbes and Anglia Perfumery do some pretty good lime frags, but all of these are not single note or linear scents - they've all got "added extras" in the mix.

One common problem with simple lime scents of course is longevity - none of the trad ones will last any more than a couple of hours. If that doesn't bother you, my vote goes for Trumpers.
    Last edited by great_badir; 8th February 2010 at 01:34 PM.

Thumbs up Re: I crave limes!

Thanks alot guys! I'm aware of the longevity problems. But the thing is, that if it last more than 2-3 hours, it's no longer natural lime. I'm leaning towards Trumper's. Longevity issues are part of the reason I'm looking to buy basically the whole range. Another is the fact, that it's just for me lime is just so amazingly enjoyable and invigorating scent.

Comme des Garçons - Series 8 - Energy C Lime
    Royall Lyme Bermuda - Lyme
    Truefitt & Hill - West Indian Limes

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post
    Sounds like you want some linear, almost single note lime frags? There are the trad old English companies of course - Trumpers, T&H, Floris and Taylors of Old Bond Street do simple, traditional lime frags. Of these I think Trumpers is the most authentic, though many say Floris do the best one. T&H is good, but lacks intensity. TOBS lime is meh.(I've heard good things about the T&H)

There's also Royall Lymes. Not quite a linear lime scent, but very definitely lime all the way through and probably the longest lasting proper lime I know of. (look for it at Brooks Brothers)

Jo Malone, Crabtree & Evelyn, Castle Forbes and Anglia Perfumery do some pretty good lime frags, but all of these are not single note or linear scents - they've all got "added extras" in the mix. (Malone Sweet Lime is a pretty good one, but a whole coctail of things)

One common problem with simple lime scents of course is longevity - none of the trad ones will last any more than a couple of hours. If that doesn't bother you, my vote goes for Trumpers.
    +1 word for word. Everything I was going to say, like exactly.

OP, have you thought about just buying lime essential oil and making your own spray?
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, Lavender Palm, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Master-Classter, for the strangest reason, I don't enjoy lime essential oils I've tried all that much. I do think it's in a way silly to pay that much for Trumper's Limes. But it would just be great to have around.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    I do think it's in a way silly to pay that much for Trumper's Limes. But it would just be great to have around.
    Well, you do get what you pay for - that's why Trumpers, Floris and T&H are between £35 and £40, whilst TOBS is half the price.

Having said that, Royall Lymes represents excellent value for money and, in my opinion, is better than Floris, almost as good as T&H and more than standing up for itself against Trumper. Trumper pips it for authenticity and limyness, whereas Royall wins out on complexity, longevity and price point.

I've got Floris's Summer Limes, which is different from the straight up limes. I think it's inferior too. Sort of sweeter than limes should be. I see that your decision is made and a good one, Johnny, I just wanted to add a thought that included Summer Limes.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

jojoelle.com has Lime Margarita and Key West (coconut and lime).

Master-Classter, for the strangest reason, I don't enjoy lime essential oils I've tried all that much. I do think it's in a way silly to pay that much for Trumper's Limes. But it would just be great to have around.
    Fair enough. I just wanted to put the option out there. I've used that sort of thing to add a little flavor to my shave creams.

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post
    Well, you do get what you pay for - that's why Trumpers, Floris and T&H are between £35 and £40, whilst TOBS is half the price.
    That being said, I find TOBS pretty solid value. If you like one cream, you'll like them all (the actual cream anyway), though I've heard a few are much better then others (Rose, Avocado, etc). I've heard one of them (maybe Caste Forbes?) can be a bit inconsistent, like sort of goopy?
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 8th February 2010 at 10:12 PM.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, Lavender Palm, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    That being said, I find TOBS pretty solid value. If you like one cream, you'll like them all (the actual cream anyway), though I've heard a few are much better then others (Rose, Avocado, etc). I've heard one of them (maybe Caste Forbes?) can be a bit inconsistent, like sort of goopy?
    Oh, don't get me wrong - I LOVE TOBS in general, it's just their lime cologne ain't all that and their whole sandalwood range has, to my nose, a distinct uriney under(over)tone. Otherwise they're the best value for money of all the trad English groomers and they have a good, individual range with no annoying super-cloying powdery house accord a la Trumper, Floris and Pen's.

Expressed lime oil is pretty much unavaialble these days due to its high level of phototoxicity. The lime oil you can buy now is distilled and smells very much like fruit confectionary (think starburst) unless used in minute quantities. I have ruined a couple of good eau de cologne mixes by trying to use it.
    Trumpers is the best by far in my opinion. I find I can get a day's longevity out of it if I splash on a good handful (or lots of sprays) and put my t-shirt on quickly.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I've made up my mind, I'm going for Trumper's West Indian Limes cologne, skin food, shaving cream, shampoo and shower and bath gel. Using these together is going to be great way to start - or end - a day, I imagine. Thanks alot people!

Extract of Lines from Penhaligons anyone?- This was my first Penhaligons scent and the first that I stocked up on when it was discontinued- just as well since i doubt i'd pay the relaunch price 95GBP

I love limes so much that I bought a bottle of "lime" cologne from The Body Shop 13 years ago. It was very light and nice but didn't last at all. It's so hard to get longevity from limes.

Edit I just went to the Body Shop website - they still sell it. It's called Of a Man.
    Last edited by Spray; 9th February 2010 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis_Sniffs View Post
    Extract of Lines from Penhaligons anyone?- This was my first Penhaligons scent and the first that I stocked up on when it was discontinued- just as well since i doubt i'd pay the relaunch price 95GBP
    I really loved this one and was wondering why I could never find it. Someone stole it from my bathroom at a party! It was the old bottle with the black and white label. Oh memories. Now it's just me and Jo Malone LBM.

Light Blue has a nice lemon vibe to it
    GFT is limey
    so is habit rouge (try edc)
    also Eau Suave
    Last edited by Hasupk@gmail.com; 9th February 2010 at 07:22 PM.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

All good suggestions since, but on balance Johnny I think you made a good choice.

Thanks great badir. I'm very impressed with your knowledge when it comes to this type of scents, considering you only joined one month ago. I know it's not a reliable indicator, but still. You are certainly a great addition to our basenotes family. I'm afraid I'm going to annoy you with questions about traditional english perfumery in the future.

Thanks great badir. I'm very impressed with your knowledge when it comes to this type of scents, considering you only joined one month ago. I know it's not a reliable indicator, but still. You are certainly a great addition to our basenotes family. I'm afraid I'm going to annoy you with questions about traditional english perfumery in the future.
    You're very welcome.

Being a traditional wet-shaver (with brush, creams, hard soaps and double edge razor), I have many years of experience with the trad English houses and designer/high street stuff, but it's only since lurking and joining BN that the niche world has opened up to me - I had no idea, and I am really a complete newbie to all that stuff still. Not that I can easily partake in most of it due to expense and my location, but it's nevertheless a new and curious world.

Basenotes Institution

This thread has renewed my interest in smelling the Trumpers'. It is almost nonexistent here in Miami, but I remember stumbling into the entire range in NY (at New London Pharmacy in Chelsea) and buying on-the-spot, the Sandalwood shaving cream. Love that stuff!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th February 2010 at 10:48 PM.