Code of Conduct

Default oudh -- beter to smell than to wear?

I just tried L'artisan parfumeur's Al Oudh -- it's quite interesting.

I would definitely like to smell this from time to time but I can't imagine wearing it. What do others thinK?

Default Re: oudh -- beter to smell than to wear?

It's a matter of personal taste. I personally have no problems wearing it. Others find it overpowering.

If you apply it lightly, I can't imagine it being overpowering. It's just such a unique smell. I

Blog Entries

From a western point of view, oud is very much a "foreign" smell. That medicinaly, rubbery nature, paired with sweaty and fecal notes in the L'Artisan version, takes some time to get used to. Some ouds are more subtle and woodsy (I'm no expert, but I gather that the Cambodian ones are milder) and completely wearable (the oud oil I have actually smells quite a bit like Encre Noire, but with more woods and less vetiver).

I personally think the oud that Montale uses is kind of gross, but it's grown on me with repeated wearings.

I think it's a note that may have to grow on you.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I totally think oudh is better to wear than smell
    its very masculine
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I think the original poster may have a point. I just can't really wear oud. I have some Montales and everytime I've worn them it was an uphill battle to make it all work. M7, I can pull off on the right occasion; I've gotten a few negative comments on wearing ouds (even in small doses) and I don't feel like they work very well for me in real world situations.

I like smelling them though.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post

I personally think the oud that Montale uses is kind of gross, but it's grown on me with repeated wearings.
    I have heard this being mentioned quite often on the board and I am beginning to wonder if I am smitten with Montale aouds, I can't imagine how much I'd like the real aouds when I get to try them. I am talking of the ones that go for like a few hundred bucks for a tiny 3ml bottle.

As a prominent note in perfumes I really do like it and wear it out quite comfortably, i.e., M7, Black Aoud, Habit Rouge EDP...

I like frankincense as a prominent note in perfumes a lot too...

Sur la Plage

I have no problems wearing oud-based fragrances. But I found L'Artisan Oudh to be "oud lite".
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I think L'Arrisan is really light too .

Montale by killian ectect try and copy eastern Oudh based fragrances like ajmal arabian oud ASAQ. They smell nothing like real Oudh! Real Oudh dosent snell rubbery or mediciny. Real Oudh developes and changes smells on your skin like 5 times while wearing it. It really is incredible stuff! L'arrisan version of oud is nothing like real Oudh!

If you want to know what real oud is supposed to smell like go to agaraura.com and try a sample of real cambodian Oudh! You will then understand what oud is all about!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

I have only worn western oud fragrances and a couple Arabic fragrance oils that may or may not contain real oud.

That being said, I don't find oud hard to wear at all. I'm kind of oud-indifferent, and what sways me one way or another is the treatment of the note in the fragrance. Oud itself neither calls to me nor repels me.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 9th February 2010 at 11:14 AM.

my only experience is oudh oil, i have some samples coming in the mail(cologne).

as far as the oils are concerned, its like cologne. some really love it, others are offended or repulsed.

i've only had arabian & dun el oudh, both are amazing(& didnt cost a fracion of some of the prices i see). definately have to wear

to appreciate, in low doses. 1st time i smelled it on one of my friends, was like wtf is that, it smelled so good!

where you getting the samples from?

the ones from agaraura.com and oriscent are single origin oils....they are incredible! you put them on and you can smell em change smells like 8 times while wearing them.....every hour they are slightly different and intoxicating!

I find the arabian companys like ASAQ arabian oud Ajmal to smell good...but are very linear...they never change smell....and they are mixes of different ouds.

that of course excludes the huge money ASAQs like thaqeel and kalakassi....which I have never smelled but have a sample coming! from what i hear though Thaqeel is amazing! i guess it should be for $3500 per 12ml.
    Last edited by dredmahawkus; 9th February 2010 at 05:02 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Blowe46 View Post
    I just tried L'artisan parfumeur's Al Oudh -- it's quite interesting.

I would definitely like to smell this from time to time but I can't imagine wearing it. What do others thinK?
    Why cannot you imagine wearing it ? It depends on the occasion, does it not ?

I remember a year and a half ago....I thought YSL's M7, Dior Homme and Michael for Men ( Michael Kors) were far too unwearable for me during the daytime. Well, one and a half years later, I was dead wrong. Granted, the M7 has been reformulated. But they are lovely fragrances ( the Kors is just okay in my books, but anyways....). The point is, you need to get aquainted with the fragrance. As well, it really depends on the situation and occasion. A Montale Aoud would be outstanding going out in the evening. Just don't overapply. You feel confident wearing it, and everything will go well.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I recently got the oudh sampler from Oriscent and now understand the hype. Some are fecal, barnyardish and some are mediciney, some woody. They are all intoxicating but I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them in public yet. I wear them when I come from work and want to relax. My only problem now is debating whether to spend $470 for 2.7 grams of Royal Kinam from Oriscent.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I love indian ouds they are my favorite....is royal kinam a nice indian? I been dying to try it!

have you tried agaraura.com indian spice? it is out of this world! the best indian I have tried ever! it goes from that classic indian smell to like a cologny smell to like a cherry smell.....it really is incredible! they sell samples at agaraura too and you dont have to buy a whole sampler like at oriscent....although oriscents is worth it they have great oud.

my stuff for sale!