Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which is more synthetic, Terre d'Hermes Edt or the Parfum?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • TdH EdT smells more synthetic to me

9 64.29%
  • TdH Parfum smells more synthetic to me

5 35.71%

Default TdH EdT vs Parfum: Which is more synthetic?

So, which of these two smells more synthetic to you?

Please only vote if you've tried them both!
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 7th February 2010 at 10:04 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: TdH EdT vs Parfum: Which is more synthetic?

Although, to me, the parfum smells more synthetic (only in the opening really), I find the parfum version much better

Perhaps one of them smells more synthetic in the early phase and one in the later stages of development?

I'm asking primarily because I really like TdH EdT but do find it a bit synthetic/irritating, and while I do like Red Vetiver I find it different enough that it doesn't quite scratch the same itch that TdH does. I'm hoping to sample the parfum soon, but until then am just seeking more opinions regarding its syntheticness.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

The Parfum comes off as slightly more vegetal / organic in the top notes to me, but in all honesty I can't tell them apart with a blind sniff after 30 minutes.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

You have a synthetic fixation. Let it go. If it smells good wear it, if it doesn't, move on. Synthetics make this hobby interesting for me...better living through chemistry. If I wanted to smell entirely natural I wouldn't bath and I would wear Sandalwood essential oil....wait....that has been done before....synthetics take us on new olfactory journeys. I love TDH parfum better than the EDT, but both are great fragrances of the past 10 years. Don't over analyze things...you either click with a frag or you don't. Don't blame it on synthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    You have a synthetic fixation. Let it go. If it smells good wear it, if it doesn't, move on. Synthetics make this hobby interesting for me...better living through chemistry. If I wanted to smell entirely natural I wouldn't bath and I would wear Sandalwood essential oil....wait....that has been done before....synthetics take us on new olfactory journeys. I love TDH parfum better than the EDT, but both are great fragrances of the past 10 years. Don't over analyze things...you either click with a frag or you don't. Don't blame it on synthetics.
    Honestly, I really don't. Yes, I've personally worked only with all-naturals in my own blends for quite some time but as you'll see, none of my favorites are by any means all-natural and I've nothing against synthetics, as a whole. It's just that TdH really does come across as rather synthetic to many here (same with another one of my faves, Fleur du Male), and I was just wondering if the majority found the parfum to be less so.

I only ask because the synthetics used in TdH actually do bother me, despite me loving the smell. And I know that I'm not the only one with that issue when it comes to TdH. It's been brought up frequently.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I only ask because the synthetics used in TdH actually do bother me, despite me loving the smell. And I know that I'm not the only one with that issue when it comes to TdH. It's been brought up frequently.
    You won't discuss the synthetics again, do You? I think TDH relies on the Iso E Super. As with the other of Hermes' new releases it is meant to be - jargon de mercantile - "transparent":

http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/20...e_hermes_.html ( .. now also available as deodorant and aftershave functional scent)

To have any substance despite of being "multifaceted" and "translucent" the Iso E Super has to stick the composition together. What bothers me with the stuff, it gives a shocking impression of my own skin, somhow liquefied. I can't stand the idea of using it in a deodorant! Maybe that would help You then, try the deo ... .

Good Luck

They both smell of high quality synthetics; both are fine fragrances.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    AbdesSalaam Attar, Naomi Goodsir, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, L'Atelier de Givenchy, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse, by Kilian, and Oliver & Co. splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Honestly, I really don't. Yes, I've personally worked only with all-naturals in my own blends for quite some time but as you'll see, none of my favorites are by any means all-natural and I've nothing against synthetics, as a whole. It's just that TdH really does come across as rather synthetic to many here (same with another one of my faves, Fleur du Male), and I was just wondering if the majority found the parfum to be less so.

I am sorry if my post seemed a bit blunt and 'attack mode'. I am sick with a cold and I guess cranky.

I'd guess if you find something synthetic and off-putting in the EdT of Terre D'hermes that you're probably going to have the same problem with the parfum.
    I think the parfum version is overall a better fragrance for my sensibilities but I also like the EdT very much still without any of the distractions you find when you wear it.
    I'll be very surprised if you find the parfume to be enough different that you find it wearable if the EdT is not so wearable for you.

I love 'em both sos - I find the Parfum a little 'smoother / rounder' and less overtly 'bright' for what it's worth, but I really enjoy the sparkle and light of the EDT . . . so go figure. Whether that in any way helps with the synthtic question I have no idea but I sympathise if you like the scent but have some reaction to it. Maybe, just maybe, the parfum won't hit you so hard?

I would say the EdT is more synthetic, only because people have told me that it has a nose-crinkily quality about it, and though I don't find it annoying, I can see how others can. Maybe the Iso E Super?

The Parfum has less of that slightly irritating quality but also less of the amazing initial burst of citrus and other zingy things I can't make out but for me, make TdH so good.

My 2 year-old 5ml mini of the EdT that is basically finished smells almost exactly like the Parfum does but is less enveloping and pervasive.
    Last edited by vg007; 10th February 2010 at 01:28 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I'd guess if you find something synthetic and off-putting in the EdT of Terre D'hermes that you're probably going to have the same problem with the parfum...
    That's what I was going to say.

My 'synthetic' might be so different from your 'synthetic'.

My point: Sample the parfum yourself! Several times too. The first time I sampled it I thought, eh...smells just like the EdT. The 2nd time, I got it - it just clicked and I was totally impressed. I still don't own a bottle, but for Xmas Ray gave me a bottle of TdH shower gel and I have purposely not opened it, in hopes that I will buy the parfum (or a decant) in the future and I can layer them.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I do intend to sample the Parfum but my sampling budget is very slim right now and so this thread was, at least partially, written to determine just how far up or down it should go on my sampling list.

Do you find the parfum works better in winter? I do like the EdT in winter but feel it shines best in medium warm weather. It seems the parfum's qualities may make it more of a winter scent. So, two questions - does the parfum perform better in winter than the edt? Also, is the parfum too heavy for summer or hot weather wearing?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!