Code of Conduct

Default The scent of Morocco

The air of the Moroccan desert smelled like... the dromedario that I rode, hehehe. Yes I know that the fragances names are poetic and metaphores, evocations, but I´m still intrigued to know how "L’air du désert marocain" smells after my trip to Morocco. I knew Lutens’ "Chergui" but I couldn´t remember it while wandering around Erfoud (yes, I know scents are poetry for the nose, as music for the ear).

Before my trip I had read just only about "Soir de Marrakech". I saw an announcement in the airplane magazine that said I would find it in any duty-free in Morocco. And thus it was, in Marrakech and Casablanca airports I found not only "Soir de Marrakech", but the other scents ("Tangier", "Casablanca", "Mogador", "Fès", etc) from "Les parfums du soleil" (I think there isn´t the brand here at BN brand list). After smelling and trying them on my skin, I feel that no one was for me. (No comments, I respect l’art du metier from this brand www.lesparfumsdusoleil.com) But I was bringing in my luggage my last discover, so I wasn´t worried.

I had a big surprise when at home I read about the creator of my last discover, above (too me) the scents that I brought too from Spain (L’Artisan’s "Al Aoud" and Penhaligons’ "Elixir") That discover is EP "Jardin Majorelle" that I bought at the same name garden in Marrakech. And the creator is Abderrazak Benchaâbane, the same "Les parfums du soleil" owner and "nez". This wonderful perfume caused a great impression to me and it seems that it was the first perfume created by him, after Yves Saint-Laurent request. "Jardin Majorelle" is "a base de fleurs d'oranger de Marrakech, jasmin de Fès, rose de Kelâa Megounna, bois of cèdre de L'Atlas, baies de piment de Meknès, benjoin de Fès et safran d'Agadir". It`s terrific.

The other great surprise and discovery was Madini Parfumeur in Tangiers. I didn´t know so famous this shop is in Morocco, until after I return home. Wandering in Tangiers streets I found a small shop crowded of people. Because of that, I only decided to buy some jasmine and orange blossom soaps. They are superb! Those soaps along with those of Claus Porto would be my favorites. Now I know that Madini is another great store with own creations and perfumed oils that worth the effort to visit.

(When I visited Kelâa Megounna, the valley of the roses, because winter season only were stems and thorns. But there are stores selling rose products that I found them not so sublime)

I recommend Jardin Majorelle, it´s lavish and no presumptuous. I enjoy it a lot, I would buy it again and again (I think I would not with the other two ones that I brought) and everybody say ¡WOOOOOOW, qué bien hueles! (= You smell so great)

Congratulations, Monsieur Benchaâbane, you created the scent of Morocco and after so many designers and niche frags that I tried I have found something very special to me....Schokran Gazillan

Default Re: The scent of Morocco

Congrats. Sounds like a great trip and a perfect souvenir. Jardin Majorelle sounds fantastic.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

I visited Morocco a couple of years ago and visited the Parfums du Soleil shop in Marrakech. I really liked Soir de Marrakech and wish I would have bought a bottle. I did end up buying Mogador which I really enjoy the lime, cedar, thuja wood, and argan notes. It alway reminds me of Morocco.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

is mandini the same one that is so easily available here "mandini oils"?

don't forget to try serge lutens cuir mauresque one of these days.

Yes, it´s the same Madini oils that it´s here in the brand list. Thanks for the Lutens recommendations.

Thank you!I love Morocco!I had a great time there!Thank you for your recs!

I love Morocco, too. I visited 15 years ago and the two fragrances I purchased are long gone.

I still remember two aromas (besides the camels): First, the smell of dried fruit in the medinas, and that suggested Lutens' Arabie; Second, one of the guides wore an excellent cinnamon fragrance which suggested JHL or Cinnabar.

I don't care to duplicate the aroma of the camels.

Having never been to Morocco, I imagine it (collectively, as a whole, I guess) to smell something like either MPG's Bois de Turquie or perhaps Amouage Jubilation XXV. I'd be interested to hear more opinions on the scent that best epitomizes Morocco to you.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Based on the apricots and leather at a craft market, I'm thinking Serge Daim Blond
    Based on the spices and sweaty bodies, I'm thinking Frapin Caravelle Epicee
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

scent of morocco can't be singular.
    wrapped in a wool blanket, sitting by the dying fire, drinking bedouin tea, can be a scent of morocco.
    dinner time at jamaa al fna can definitely be a scent of morocco,
    fresh oranges under baking sun, in the spice market
    stench in the leather curing and dying facilities
    lemon preserves, figs, olives
    smell of raw and cooked meat in the meat market
    mint tea and cafe latte

lots really. but if I had to choose one it would include mint, cinnamon, orange, lemon (briney and dirty), saffron, and.. dust.

Very interesting thoughts saripatates, thank you. I guess I wasn't so far off with Bois de Turquie then which smells of light incense (dusty, in the drydown), oranges and cinnamon, with hints of sandalwood and jasmine (tea? Well, ok, it doesn't have a tea accord but it does have some greens with the bay leaf and geranium, the latter which adds a hint of lemon and minty bite, too).

I am curious how you would describe the smell of your home country, Turkey, then. I am not familiar enough with both countries to know exactly how and where their 'scent personas' would differ. Thanks again!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Tauer LDDM is an amazing cologne!! It's the only cologne sample that I've had where I constantly and randomly caught different smells from it while laying in bed. I had the sample sitting on my dresser next to the bed. It's a masterpiece to put it mildly.

well, Turkey is much much more diverse. There needs to be lots of fragrances to have at least a silhouette IMO.
    I know that many people just outright associate turkey with "orient" but, that's not the case. at least it's severely incomplete.

add greece, england, steppes, alps, black sea and middle east to morocco, subtract desert... maybe.

I'm from the north eastern part. tough cold sea, high arid mountains, lots of trees and tea.
    I'm thinking, blackest black tea, green tea, wet soil, pine, mushroom-iness, oxygen, cherry laurel, linden and fresh water. for the mountainous region of my region :P
    For the seaside, black tea, saltwater, anchovy, rain on stone, lavender and honeysuckle.

weird like that. :P

I have never visited Morocco but there is one scent that always makes me think of the spice markets: Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum. It is the exact smell of of spice shops in the more "oriental" side of the city where I live, Athens.
    On the other hand, when foetidus mentioned the camels, I immediately remembered Montale Aoud Cuir d' Arabie. If all basenoters came to a concensus about clissifying leather scents, this one would still be left in a category of its own. The opening is like a cross between feta cheese and cheap badly tanned shipskin. What comes next is a different story. You just have to try it to know. It is good enough to have its own leather scent category.
    My idea of the scent of Morocco would be a mix of those two.

Sampatates, you really have a knack for breaking down ambiances into a list of notes. Excellent descriptions.

thanks neighbour

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    well, Turkey is much much more diverse. There needs to be lots of fragrances to have at least a silhouette IMO.
    I know that many people just outright associate turkey with "orient" but, that's not the case. at least it's severely incomplete.

add greece, england, steppes, alps, black sea and middle east to morocco, subtract desert... maybe.

I'm from the north eastern part. tough cold sea, high arid mountains, lots of trees and tea.
    I'm thinking, blackest black tea, green tea, wet soil, pine, mushroom-iness, oxygen, cherry laurel, linden and fresh water. for the mountainous region of my region :P
    For the seaside, black tea, saltwater, anchovy, rain on stone, lavender and honeysuckle.

weird like that. :P
    This is a wonderful post--thanks.