Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Pour Monsieur by Chanel discontinued!?!?

I bought a bottle in Ireland yesterday. Incidentally, it no longer has the leaflet enclosed that claims it hasn't changed since 1955, so they're either not pretending anymore, or they've messed with it again. The allergens list is still the same though.

In my experience, if you're looking to buy the original, you'd best take responsibility yourself for determining which you're getting. (The picture above is great reference). The average store or online SA is likely just going to tell you it's Chanel Pour Monsieur. If you press them on the "concentree", they'll just say it's the same formula but more concentrated which isn't exactly true.
    The possibility is also real that they won't even notice/pay attention to the small "concentree" written on box and bottle.

Opinions vary on the juice itself. I've seen some in here who tried both that say the differences are minimal. Others think the original is the gold standard of men's frags and the concentree version is a dreadful flanker.

There does seem to pretty widespread agreement though that the original, wonderful though it may be, has no legs and is very fleeting. I have the concentree version and it's a nice enough scent to me. But it too a little light in the longevity department.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 14th February 2010 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sean-dt View Post
    I bought a bottle in Ireland yesterday. Incidentally, it no longer has the leaflet enclosed that claims it hasn't changed since 1955, so they're either not pretending anymore, or they've messed with it again. The allergens list is still the same though.
    They actually enclose leaflets saying that? Interesting, I'd love to see the actual wording. **dreams of false advertising lawsuits for shameless reformulaters**

And did your bottle still have Oak Moss on it? The ones I've seen recently only list Treemoss on the allergens.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    They actually enclose leaflets saying that? Interesting, I'd love to see the actual wording. **dreams of false advertising lawsuits for shameless reformulaters**

And did your bottle still have Oak Moss on it? The ones I've seen recently only list Treemoss on the allergens.
    This is from the leaflet from my old bottle bought in 2009:

"Ever since 1955, the natural materials that go to make your Pour Monsieur Eau de Toilette have remained unchanged.

The process of selection by the creator of Parfums de CHANEL is always extremely rigorous.

Because these are natural ingredients, their colour may change over a period of time.

From one bottle to another, your Pour Monsieur Eau de Toilette may show slight variations in colour, while remaining true to its unique, timelessly elegant fragrance."

The allergens list on the box is the same down to the inclusion of oakmoss. I didn't realise about the treemoss in newer bottles, so I must have managed to beat the latest reformulation. Still, I don't think this bottle is quite as good as the one I bought a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by sean-dt View Post
    This is from the leaflet from my old bottle bought in 2009:

"Ever since 1955, the natural materials that go to make your Pour Monsieur Eau de Toilette have remained unchanged.

The process of selection by the creator of Parfums de CHANEL is always extremely rigorous.

Because these are natural ingredients, their colour may change over a period of time.

From one bottle to another, your Pour Monsieur Eau de Toilette may show slight variations in colour, while remaining true to its unique, timelessly elegant fragrance."

The allergens list on the box is the same down to the inclusion of oakmoss. I didn't realise about the treemoss in newer bottles, so I must have managed to beat the latest reformulation. Still, I don't think this bottle is quite as good as the one I bought a year ago.
    Many thanks =)

What accounts for the recent substitution of treemoss for oakmoss in so many frags (in addition to PM, my recently purchased bottle of Bandit is now oakmoss-free)? My understanding was that the two ingredients are similarly limited by IFRA.

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    What accounts for the recent substitution of treemoss for oakmoss in so many frags (in addition to PM, my recently purchased bottle of Bandit is now oakmoss-free)? My understanding was that the two ingredients are similarly limited by IFRA.
    I'm not entirely sure. One theory is that there are many Oakmoss substitutes out there but no decent synthetic Treemoss.

It does seem to be getting harder and harder to find , one assistant told me that PM is being discontinued in favour of concentree but it does seem available in a few places here . My last bottle brought last year does have oakmoss listed in the ingredients

I saw Pour Monsieur (non-concentree) at Saks here in Portland the other day. It's still out there. I think Chanel is trying to clamp down on their distribution channels which is confusing people into thinking they're being discontinued. Maybe at a particular store but not completely.

Funny that, in Australia, only the regular CpM is available. Can't find CpM Concentree here.

But also in Australia, it's Egoiste Platinum that's available - regular Egoiste is impossible to find.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    I saw Pour Monsieur (non-concentree) at Saks here in Portland the other day. It's still out there. I think Chanel is trying to clamp down on their distribution channels which is confusing people into thinking they're being discontinued. Maybe at a particular store but not completely.
    I found what I thought was PM; looked just like it; turned out to be aftershave moisturizer.

Ah, I didn't have a close look. Next time I swing by that neighborhood I will have to check.

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    Ah, I didn't have a close look. Next time I swing by that neighborhood I will have to check.
    If it is PM, I'd buy it up... you can always sell it on.