Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: I'm craving civet at the moment -- suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Scent, I hope you will come back after trying all the new suggestions and give us your impressions!
    Well, after an amazing trip to London, I'm back with my initial results!

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Now you got me wanting to try First by Van Cleef and Arpels, Rasa extreme ( I wonder if Serena will ever produce this again .... ) ,vintage Femme ( though I heard the modern version is great too ) and a whole load of other dirty civetty scents .
    First: Not a drop of civet that I could detect. All I could smell was aldehydic galbanum and then a powdery floral. Pass...
    Vintage Femme: The biggest discovery I made in London was Peau d'Espagne. It smelled very, very similiar to my depleting parfum of vintage Femme. A must buy for every vintage-lovin, skank fiend out there. I want to try the extract sooo badly but don't know where it's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    "Second" the rec of First, Paco Rabanne La Nuit and Sublime. You should love L'Arte di Gucci!. Could also add Schiaparelli Shocking and Lancome Magie Noire, also DSH Jitterbug, which I sometimes catch myself almost liking... : - )
    Sublime EDP: I was greeted by a big box of blind-buys when I finally got back home! Sublime was one of them! My initial reaction was that it smelled so beautiful and well-mixed, yet oddly familiar. I didn't get civet though, but did get one of the loveliest drydowns my nose has ever smelt. After wearing it a couple of times, I discovered what it smelled familiar to: Tauer's Une Rose Chypre. I've been craving URC for so long, but never really pulled the trigger. Sublime is somewhat sharper in the drydown and it doesn't have that very subtle cinammon note, but all in all, very similiar. Phew! At least my craving for URC has been met!

L'arte di Gucci EDP: This was another blind buy in the box of goodies that arrived. I probably have civet instead of blood, because I couldn't detect civet..at all! I even wore it as my SOTD three times to make sure. I guess all my pre-Basenotes years of smelling Gucci No.3 (similiar to L'aDG) on my mom and uncle, has made me anosmic to the smell, and all my brain registers is a rose chypre. Don't get me wrong, this is very, very pretty. But reading the reviews describing L'adG as being anything other than pretty, I can't help but feel a little disheartened

Que Sais Je: This was also one of my blind buys. Given this is an EDT, this is actual quite tenacious. A plummy chypre with loads and loads of oakmoss and good dose of skank. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    If you like Jicky EDP because of civet, you would *love* Jicky PdT.
    I've heard Jicky has changed very little over the years, so can you tell me the difference between the two? Currently, I'm on the verge of buying a bee-bottle of Jicky parfum because I love it's velvety civetness!

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Addict View Post
    I found myself craving YSL "Y" for the civet today. Its in the Joy/First category IMO. I fell in love with the vintage, and while the current EDT is just a pale reflection of the vintage, its still pretty good all things considered.
    Thanks! I'll look into these suggestions as well!

I also made a couple of interesting new discoveries in London.

Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger: WoW!!! Imagine Bal a Versailles with a more musk and civet, topped with a bitter orange topnotes with a velvety leather running through its veins. This is seriously, seriously skanky stuff! I grabbed the last bottle from the Mayfair store as it is discontinued now, and what a shame that is! I asked the SA why that was, and he said, Lyn (perfumer for MH) thought the perfume was too grand for her line. This is on-par with L'air de Rien as being the greatest in the line.

Eau du Coq: While not exactly fulfilling my craving for civet, this is an extremely well-made cologne that manages to smell like a uber-light Jicky. I managed to snag a vintage 500ml as well! Score!

Chanel EDC: There's something weird about this cologne. It is at once very metallic and pungent, then disappears, then reappears hours later (triggered by water give you), as an extremely subtle animalic citrus. I bit the bullet and bought the 400ml bottle; the giant Les Exclusifs bottle is so intimdating standing next to my tiny decants! Lol!
    Last edited by scent; 24th February 2010 at 10:37 PM.

I love Krizia Krazy for civet - and Femme.

reine

Smile Re: I'm craving civet at the moment -- suggestions

IMO The most elegant civet I know is captured in Arpege.

The most sexy civet is Jicky's

The most refined civet is captured in En Avion.

It's not the scent that recalls the person; it's the person who recalls the scent.
    LaNose

Hillaire

Re: Your not finding civet in Sublime, First, or Gold...the latest formulations have none, that's probably why. Neither does the newest Y, but the old Y...now that's civety!
    Speaking of vintage offerings, I find more civet in vintage Fleurs de Rocailles that I do in vintage Jicky.
    I have not smelled a more civety creation in all my life than Apogee from Les Senteurs. They send samples if you call, and it is also a divine divine creation. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Scent, so glad to hear you like the Sublime edp (even if it's lacking civet). It's one of my absolute favorites... a six star frag if you will. I've been wanting to try Une Rose Chypree and now will definitely seek it out if there's even a slight similarity, but I don't get much of a chypre feel from Sublime. The jasmine, patchouli, and sandalwood make it all oriental for me. But if you are craving spice, no cinnamon like the Tauer, but in its place a really nice nutmeg accord if you sniff closely. Look for it and enjoy!
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Assuming that my calculations are correct, Amouage's Epic has loads of civet musk in it.

The most civet I've ever experienced in a fragrance -- more than Jicky even -- is Mona di Orio's "Nuit Noire." The opening is a little distressing, but the patient are rewarded with a gorgeous drydown.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Hillaire is correct. Vintage Amouage Gold Man has a distinctive civet note.

Quote Originally Posted by reine View Post
    I love Krizia Krazy for civet - and Femme.

reine
    Thnx! I'll look into Krazy!

Quote Originally Posted by LaNose View Post
    IMO The most elegant civet I know is captured in Arpege.

The most sexy civet is Jicky's

The most refined civet is captured in En Avion.

It's not the scent that recalls the person; it's the person who recalls the scent.
    LaNose
    I've always wondered what vintage Arpege smelt like, so this might just push me over the edge Roja Dove told me that Arpege has changed drastically and that it was unrecognizable, but my mom's bottle (at least 20 years old) smells quite similiar to today's version

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Re: Your not finding civet in Sublime, First, or Gold...the latest formulations have none, that's probably why. Neither does the newest Y, but the old Y...now that's civety!
    Speaking of vintage offerings, I find more civet in vintage Fleurs de Rocailles that I do in vintage Jicky.
    I have not smelled a more civety creation in all my life than Apogee from Les Senteurs. They send samples if you call, and it is also a divine divine creation. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
    Ahhh...ba humbug My new Sublime doesn't have civet! But I guess I have to thank you on behalf of my nose. My poor nose almost died from sniffing it a hundred times, trying to find a smidgen of civet
    Was it you who wrote the review of Fleurs de Rocailles that it was disgusting from its animalicity? lool!!!
    I've been to Les Senteurs a couple of times and I don't remember seeing Apogee there. Can you elaborate on it pweeeeez!!!! It's peaked my interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Antaeusintheair View Post
    Scent, so glad to hear you like the Sublime edp (even if it's lacking civet). It's one of my absolute favorites... a six star frag if you will. I've been wanting to try Une Rose Chypree and now will definitely seek it out if there's even a slight similarity, but I don't get much of a chypre feel from Sublime. The jasmine, patchouli, and sandalwood make it all oriental for me. But if you are craving spice, no cinnamon like the Tauer, but in its place a really nice nutmeg accord if you sniff closely. Look for it and enjoy!
    Yes Anataeus Sublime is subliiiime! Pun intended! Do you get the same sharpness I'm getting in the topnotes that make it quite masculine? Or is it only me
    I don't really see Une Rose Chypree as a chypre to be honest...it's an oriental to me. Please do try Une Rose Chypree you'll be surprised by the similarities. Noir Epices is also a tiny bit similiar to URC.

Quote Originally Posted by acer3 View Post
    Assuming that my calculations are correct, Amouage's Epic has loads of civet musk in it.
    I've only tried the men's briefly but for the brief moment it was on my skin, it was a bit generic and "safe". If you're talking about the women's (which is waaay better ), has something disturbing and odd...which is great!

Quote Originally Posted by PB101 View Post
    The most civet I've ever experienced in a fragrance -- more than Jicky even -- is Mona di Orio's "Nuit Noire." The opening is a little distressing, but the patient are rewarded with a gorgeous drydown.
    It is great, isn't it?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by divinemama View Post
    My mom has a vintage bottle of Gold WOMAN. I'll have to dig it up and compare side by side between vintage and new.
    will. report. back.

Quote Originally Posted by divinemama View Post
    I have a bottle of Amouage Gold Man that I bought around ten years ago, and the last thing to remain on my skin is the very strong civet. It's not like Jicky where the civet is part of a complex fragrance. It's more like I haven't washed in months

I know someone mentioned Avon Occur! earlier in this thread, but I'm wearing it for the first time today and it's so civety that I'm wondering if it's NSFW. I got mine at a thrift store but this one is super cheap on ebay, so I recommend it.

Well Jicky Pdt is a civet monster, sorry never tried the edp.

Caron Narcisse Noir is another civet monster, but it has to be the parfum the edt is weak and watery
    DONNA

I could be mis-smelling things, but Chanel No. 5 strikes me as having a good quantity of civet. Especially the parfum, which is so furry and warm and animalic.

Some civet was released last year ,I'm thinking of Absolur pour le soir from MFK and M/Mink from Byredo....unexpected animals

No suggestions for Weil's Zibeline? no the easiest stuff to find but a rich warm scent with civet and ambergris in the base.
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!
    Currently wearing: Le De by Givenchy

Another +1 for MFK Absolue pour le soir

Am I hallucinating, or is there civet in Ava Luxe Chypre Noir?
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~