Code of Conduct

Default Challenge: perfume for a perfume-hater?

My friend's husband is a perfume hater, who uses only those supermarket deodorants. After many years, my friend is finally sick of those pugent smelling deodorants. She gave me, a perfumista, the task of picking up a proper perfume for her husband, only that my knowdege of men's perfume is very limited. So, I am seeking help from your guys. Here are some details:
    - it has to be masculine, not unisex
    - light, millimum sillage but reasonably long lasting
    - suitable for office, not "weird" or offensive
    - not watery (my friend doesn't like aquatic smells)

Any idea?
    Last edited by j_mysscent; 5th March 2010 at 10:47 AM.

Default Re: Challenge: perfume for a perfume-hater?

Sounds like Bvlgari Pour Homme to me. Take a look the reviews.

Chanel Pour Monsieur
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

How about Balenciaga Ho Hang?
    Live simply, Love fully.
    http://twitter.com/_flannelman PM me for facebook

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    Sounds like Bvlgari Pour Homme to me. Take a look the reviews.
    +1 agreed on this one

Quote Originally Posted by j_mysscent View Post
    My friend's husband is a perfume hater, who uses only those supermarket deodorants. After many years, my friend is finally sick of those pugent smelling deodorants. She gave me, a perfumista, the task of picking up a proper perfume for her husband, only that my knowdege of men's perfume is very limited. So, I am seeking help from your guys. Here are some details:
    - it has to be masculine, not unisex
    - light, millimum sillage but reasonably long lasting
    - suitable for office, not "weird" or offensive
    - not watery (my friend doesn't like aquatic smells)

Any idea?
    Should the recommended perfume replace the deodorant? If so, as Your post implies, Your friend will look up some deodorants, that are not or only faintly scented. The concept should be applied to shampoo, shower gel, body lotion too.

The fragrance should be applied light handed. It should come without a to sharp top. The overall scent should resemble a simple recognizable natural odor of few components and avoid animalic or components that remind of sugar/food. Synthetic fixatives/smoothers as Iso E Super or musks have to be dismissed.

a) Borsari 1870 Acqua Classica (EdC), damped top of bergamot, faint but long lasting pine ('bay)
    b) Carven Vetiver, older formulation with green cap, refreshing mint/citrus top plus some uplifting slightly smokey vetiver (hard to find in bigger bottles, minis are still around at 'bay), may be a tad to strange, to much of a perfume
    c) Sisley Eau De Campagne, no citrus, substantial but mild top, different from the others, pleasant development, smells easy to get, captivating
    d) Gucci Flora, simple but appealing frank synthetic flower, leans towards Diorella, easy, clean, not lovely
    e) Dior, Diorissimo, lily of the valley, frank synthetic but convincing, refreshing, again, not lovely

The best would be to convince the husband that the functional fragrances - yes, that's perfume too! - in all his grooming products stink when put together on his very body. In consequence he will make a mans and follow to the perfumery. The perfumery should itself be clean, odor wise. So visit them very early in the morning! Then avoid to shock him with the pungent alcohol or sharp tops or to complex or unknown odors.
    Last edited by merry.waters; 5th March 2010 at 12:23 PM.

Montale's Louban!

Mugler cologne
    Paul Smith story
    Prada Infusion d'Homme
    Bvlgari Aqua

You will get the soapy and deodorant smell from these and they are all office compatible, inoffensive and readily available
    Last edited by Granola; 5th March 2010 at 01:02 PM.

I'd go with Bowling Green, any of the classic Acqua di Parmas, any Truefitt & Hill, Penhaligon's Opus 1870 or Blenheim Bouquet, Dior Eau Sauvage, or even Brut - sounds like a silly suggestion, but it's the surprising dark horse with a lot of negativity attached to its name. Otherwise it's a nice, classic green fougere suitable for work and formal occasions that, if applied correctly, will last all day without fumigating an office.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    + 1

Chanel Pour Monsieur
    I actually managed to get my perfume-hating brother to wear it recently to a wedding.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Quote Originally Posted by sean-dt View Post
    I actually managed to get my perfume-hating brother to wear it recently to a wedding.
    ... see!

It took me a few sample runs with it before I fell in love with it, but I can't help suggesting the lavender and vanilla super delight of Caron's Pour un Homme.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Gendarme
    Mugler Cologne

Maybe Rive Gauche pH
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

The guy sounds like he thinks of himself as some kind of a macho man. I agree with perfaddict - Rive Gauche PH is probably perfect for this guy.
    Last edited by shamu1; 5th March 2010 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    The guy sounds like he thinks of himself as some kind of a macho man. I agree with perfaddict - Rive Gauche PH is probably perfect for this guy.
    Ah, PH. There are other reasons too to not like fragrance. For example the lots of stink one may complain about while on the bus, subway etc. Everybody wears his just applied signature scent which ends up in a terrific mess. To not use fragrances is a a quite honorable choice in every single occasion. Not at least this attitude makes You as a perfume addict standing out. I've been told famous Luca Turin as a perfume expert uses plain lavender to scent his presence ... .

A deal could be to avoid functional fragrances as in shampoo, shower gel, lotions, after shaves in favor of a single more elaborated perfume. I've got the inquiry that way. As I've posted already earlier herein the complete concept of personal grooming is in question. The elected fragrance most probably has to fulfill certain requirements, that should be defined first. Simple name dropping won't help to much.

I feel like I'm missing something. If she just hates the deodorant fragrance, why not just go with a fragrance-free deodorant? It might be easier to talk him into that than into a fragrance.

Fragrance-free deodorants do tend to be more expensive - you often have to pay the extra for "hypoallergenic" just to avoid the annoying fragrances - but it should be possible to find one.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    I feel like I'm missing something. ... why not just go with a fragrance-free deodorant?
    That is exactly the unavoidable first step, as I've written earlier (post #6). You are welcome.

Finding a scent for a perfume-hater seems like a really lost cause. Why try to change people?

It's just like saying "Let's make a pasta dish for someone who hates Italian food." It's really counter-productive.

If you must, try something very, very light and bound to be innoffensive.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    If you must, try something very, very light and bound to be innoffensive.
    My personal case was to have hated perfume for its sharp notes added on top to the alcohol. Nauseating. A second was the connection of perfume with special social occasions as a must. By now I like Tommy Girl on myself while buying a convertible. I still disregard semi functional, so called 'mass market' fragrance with lines from shampoo to extrait (Shalimar, Terre D'Hermes). Once I've found - thanks to Grey Flannel / Knize Ten - that perfume could be more than a rip off, I've opend my mind a bit to enjoy more demanding odors. GF on one arm, KT on the other, and a plain Lavender 'to kill the bacteria' - that will make it possible for a real 'hater' to recalibrate matters.

The scent of the deodorants is clearly the problem:

I recommend Mitchum Unscented Roll-on. It does its job perfectly without smelling like anything.

If he is interested in finding a fragrance that works with his tastes:

+3 on Rive Gauche pour Homme
    He will smell as though he just left a barbershop. I haven't met a guy who doesn't like this (I've decanted for 3 guys already).

Last edited by Spray; 6th March 2010 at 06:53 AM.

Bvlgari pour Homme is great advice.

Find out what he does like the smell of and what he dislikes. Find out about his childhood and postive associations, the sort of work his father and grandfather did or their hobbies.
    Scent is a great kicker for memory, I can only use myself as an example, the scents of dried woods and leather being worked..... Chene or Cuir Ottoman. The clean green English forests of my childhood English Fern, Wild Fern. The pipe tobbaco of his grandfather or grandmother. Give him what he recognises and likes.

And find out the scents he really dislikes in his wife's collection avoid the heart and base notes in particular like the plague, for me it's rose scents, it wouldn't matter how well done it is, it won't work.

I used to be the same as your friends husband, try asking him what a man should smell like? Whatever you do don't select a scent that is inoffensive, he can clearly cope with pungent aromas. He's likely to find something that is just inoffensive just pointless.

When you have answers to these questions it's off to The Perfumed Court and search through their sample sets. At very worst you can get a relatively representative gentlemans collection. And get him to think of scent as an extension of his wardrobe, picking one will become a problem, start looking for 4. Two for the office one for special occasions and one for weekends.
    Last edited by dacha; 6th March 2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Incomplete and spelling.

Chanel Allure Homme Ed. Blanche
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Gendarme - Invented by a guy who is allergic to everything. Smells clean and light. He can easily wear it anywhere. A favorite. Very comforting.
    Last edited by adonis; 6th March 2010 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post
    Chanel Allure Homme Ed. Blanche
    +1.