Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default What scent did you wear in high school?

High school was a good 10 1/2 years ago. Started in the fall of 1995 and graduated in the spring of 1999. I did wear cologne back then during my senior year when I received my very first bottle, it was Acqua Di Gio. I randomly thought back a moment ago, given the knowledge I know now with my own nose, what else would I have worn back then? To even further narrow it down, what would I have worn back then with the budget I had in high school? Back when I was a kid, I was mainly restricted to what's at Macy's. Therefore, it's not as if I could go out and hunt down bottles of Creed, Serge Lutens, Killian, Bond No. 9, and what not.

So, I'm asking, given the budget you had whether it be a part-time job at the local pizza parlor, mowing lawns, or allowance or just simply starving yourself or packing your own lunch when your folks give you lunch money, what would you have worn knowing what you know now? The knowledge, at the very least, knowing what notes you like best. There was a thread a while back asking what could you have worn if you were back in high school again, but that was a wider range, and no budget restriction. My venues would be shopping malls (which have fragrance stores, kiosks, and department stores), Marshall's/Ross/TJMaxx, Target/Walmart/etc. My budget would be the $7.25 an hour I made working at K-Mart for 2-3 days a week in my junior and senior years. Prior to that, I would work for my dad once a month for $10 and I'd get birthday as well as Chinese New Year money.

Despite the fact that my tastes currently aren't very pricey (although it could potentially be if my nose was subjected to niche), the list was pretty easy for me to come up with. I'd probably own 1-3 of these bottles or either I'd get 1-2 per year and still have a steady rotation that'll last me into college (of course, the jobs I had in college paid considerably more than Kmart did). I wasn't a heavy sprayer back then and I sure as hell am not nowadays. Although during my newbie days 2 years ago, I was fairly heavy on the trigger.

Versace The Dreamer (1996)
    Acqua Di Gio (1996)
    Azzaro Chrome (1996)
    Cartier Declaration (1998)
    Hanae Mori (1997)
    Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male (1995)
    Joop! Nightflight (1992)
    Kenzo Pour Homme (1991)
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (1994)
    Guerlain Vetiver (eons ago)

These are the ones that barely missed the list because I wasn't sure when in 1999 they were released, but I'm pretty sure I would have owned all a couple of these.

Rochas Man
    212 for Men
    L'eau Par Kenzo

Basically these are the restrictions for the list:
    • They must be released or be available during the time you were in high school. So, no time skips here and post "Black Aloud" by Montale when you graduated in 1997 or something.
    • Whatever money you had back then, that's your budget. This is the hard part where you might have to dig deep for value picks or you're that good with penny pinching as a kid.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 10th February 2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Titled revised by Spray because I'm too sleepy to word it correclty the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Knowing what you know now, what would you have worn in high school?

Had I had the knowledge and money, I'd have worn:
    GIT instead of the imitation cool water
    Erolfa instead of imitation polo sport,
    Green Valley and L'Anarchiste instead of hugo
    and of course Millesime imperial.
    Probably Eau D'Orange Verte, also.

I knew of none of these until 3-4 years ago.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 10th February 2010 at 06:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Had I had the knowledge and money, I'd have worn:
    GIT instead of the imitation cool water
    Erolfa instead of imitation polo sport,
    Green Valley and L'Anarchiste instead of hugo
    and of course Millesime imperial.
    Probably Eau D'Orange Verte, also.

I knew of none of these until 3-4 years ago.
    Ah, but part of the requirement was what you know now, but with the money you had back then, and those had to be the only things available at the time you were in high school. That's the challenging part. I'm going to assume you weren't old enough that even Green Irish Tweed hasn't been released yet when you were in high school. LOL.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 10th February 2010 at 06:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What a fun topic! I'd go to high school with you Rawk Lee, and if you were wearin' that stuff I'd say PeeUuu, here comes Rawk Lee again. (Naaaaa, just having fun.)

In my high school days I wore Aramis, Eau Sauvage, Habit Rouge, Polo, Lagerfeld original, and nursed department store counter samples, especially when I could beg Guerlain's Vetiver.

I don't know how I afforded them, but two or three ounce bottles were between $13 and $18.

The others that I wanted were Antaeus, Kouros, JHL, Quorum, Jacomo de Jacomo, and Jacomo Eau Cendree. I would have bought Guerlain Vetiver if I'd had the money then too. The cool kids wore Kouros and/or Polo. One of my girlfriends said there was only one scent that a man should wear, and that was Aramis. Good enough for me.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    Ah, but part of the requirement was what you know now, but with the money you had back then, and those had to be the only things available at the time you were in high school. That's the challenging part. I'm going to assume you weren't old enough that even Green Irish Tweed hasn't been released yet when you were in high school. LOL.
    No, I understood that all the scents which we were to list had to be released when we were in HS. So my latest listed release was L'Anarchiste in 2000.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, but part of the requirement was what you know now, but with the money you had back then.
    If i knew what i know now I would have quite easily chosen to earn more money just for the scents I listed LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great thread!

I had Preferred Stock and Acqua di Gio.
    I should have had The Dreamer and Monsieur Balmain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This thread was actually inspired by folks in high school or even middle school getting into fragrances. They're the ones I've seen scouring around for YouTube reviews, online reviews, and Basenotes to post questions and learn. I was thinking, "Man, if only I had these kinds of resources on my trusty 56.6k modem and AOL account back then." Especially nowadays since the fragrance industry has boomed and a lot of people own at least one bottle of something. When I was in high school, there was a lot of fragrances available, but not the clusterfark of choices we have now (celebrity scents, flankers, mall clothing store fragrances).
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 10th February 2010 at 06:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

"you've got mail" lol

To better help the kids currently in middle/high school the question might be:

If you were in high school right now with the budget you had back then, what would you buy?
    Last edited by Spray; 10th February 2010 at 06:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I forgot to add one to the list. Guerlain Vetiver. The Swiss Army knife of reasonably attainable fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Back when you were in high school with the budget you had back then, what would you buy?

The girls I went to high school with wouldn't like Guerlain Vetiver (old tobacco smell)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Back when you were in high school with the budget you had back then, what would you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    The girls I went to high school with wouldn't like Guerlain Vetiver (old tobacco smell)
    Same here, but I was the weird kid who watched anime shows and geek out on stuff like that. So I might as well. Hell, no one really knew I listened to hip-hop music except for a handful of people. I just didn't really look like the type. So I might as well wear something out of the ordinary like Guerlain Vetiver. To me, it smells smokey, but clean on me.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 10th February 2010 at 07:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll remember the judgments of girls you went to high school with.

To answer the thread's question, I'd have gotten a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver and worn it back then.

Post Thanks / Like

I wore mainly Santos and Antaeus. I would've explored the classic Chanels and Guerlains if I knew then what I know now.

Post Thanks / Like

Same here, but I was the weird kid who watched anime shows and geek out on stuff like that. So I might as well. Hell, no one really knew I listened to hip-hop music except for a handful of people. I just didn't really look like the type. So I might as well wear something out of the ordinary like Guerlain Vetiver. To me, it smells smokey, but clean on me.
    I guess you were cooler than me cuz I was focused on wearing a scent that would get me noticed/laid quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

If I'd live through the same experience all over again and on the same budget, I'll probably buy YSL Rive Gauche PH, one of the most affordable designer frags around.

Post Thanks / Like

You were in high school in 2003?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Probably what I did wear - Adidas VS, simply because I just didnt have the money for anything else.
    In its range, its one darn good frag.

From my own pocket, pretty much Brut and nothing else, though I usually got Boss Bottled for christmases and birthdays.

Post Thanks / Like

I used Brut, some Playboy deos that I can't remember the names of, and Old Spice in high school

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well.. high school for me was only 2 years ago. I had Candies for Men, Fierce, Le Male, and Eau Fraiche. What would have I bought? Probably the same scents I like now.. just not that often! Kenzo Power, Encre Noire, John Varvatos, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a sophomore in high school I saved for months and bought a bottle of Chanel Egoiste.
    Nobody else in school was wearing it, or even knew what the hell it was. I thought it was such an amazing frag.
    Nowadays it's a fragrance I hardly reach for because I associate it with high school -I feel like a sophomore again wearing it!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd get Rive Gauche by YSL which can be found for under $30 online. Great all around scent that gets a lot of compliments.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Post Thanks / Like

adidas sports field
    nikos sculpture

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    When I was a sophomore in high school I saved for months and bought a bottle of Chanel Egoiste.
    Nobody else in school was wearing it, or even knew what the hell it was. I thought it was such an amazing frag.
    Nowadays it's a fragrance I hardly reach for because I associate it with high school -I feel like a sophomore again wearing it!
    You should still reach for it. It isn't your fault that you were so classy in high school! Still, I understand what you mean. I don't like to wear CW or GIT because I used CW so much when I was younger.
    Last edited by Spray; 10th February 2010 at 09:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Versace Blue Jeans, without a doubt! It's such quality and underrated frag, which really is outstanding by almost all criteria...and it's also really cheap...

Post Thanks / Like

You should still reach for it. It isn't your fault that you were so classy in high school! Still, I understand what you mean. I don't like to wear CW or GIT because I used CW so much when I was younger.
    My wife bought me a bottle of it about eleven years ago as a birthday present, and it still awaits me in the armoire, barely touched...
    Aww hell!! I'll give it a little spritz -for ol' times sake.
    Last edited by Manuel; 10th February 2010 at 09:58 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

High school-equivalent for me was around 1986-89, before I got drafted into the military. Internet as we know today did not exist then. I was a thrifty lad and could probably put together $100 for a quality frag, available at dept stores. Knowing what I know now but adjusting for my taste preference as a 17 year old, I'd probably have gone for:

Mitsouko by Guerlain
    No.19 by Chanel
    Polo (classic) by Ralph Lauren
    Armani by Giorgio Armani (which I actually did buy in 1988 btw)
    Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Guess I was never much into fresh sporty scents, even then...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 10th February 2010 at 11:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I wore Cool Water every single day throughout High School.

Today, for High School, I would be wearing Guerlain Vetiver for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    High school-equivalent for me was around 1986-89, before I got drafted into the military. Internet as we know today did not exist then. I was a thrifty lad and could probably put together $100 for a quality frag, available at dept stores. Knowing what I know now but adjusting for my taste preference as a 17 year old, I'd probably have gone for:

Mitsouko by Guerlain
    No.19 by Chanel
    Polo (classic) by Ralph Lauren
    Armani by Giorgio Armani (which I actually did buy in 1988 btw)
    Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Guess I was never much into fresh sporty scents, even then...
    That was smart. Some guys didn't consider their tastes back then.
    Last edited by Spray; 11th February 2010 at 12:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't change a thing, and I could still afford it today even earning the $2.25 an hour I made as a service station attendant while in high school in 1974. Tabac Original would still be my signature/only fragrance, and I would be as happy as I could be.

Post Thanks / Like

JOOP! is quite cheap
    Kouros
    Opium Pour Homme
    Polo
    Chanel Allure

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That was smart. Some guys didn't consider their tastes back then.
    Good point. That's like your present self recommending a fragrance for your younger self in high school. I can imagine how hilarious it would be for me to do the whole time machine thing and tell myself, "Hey, don't get Acqua Di Gio. Everyone's going to wear it. Trust me." "What? You're crazy, everyone wears Tommy and Polo Sport at my school." "Yea, for now, but give it a year or two, everyone will wear this stuff. Here, grab this bottle of Cartier Declaration, it's new, you'll like it. Also, grab the Hanae Mori since I know you love all things Japanese and you like chocolate. You'll wear this when it gets cold. Trust me, for years, no one else you'll be around will be wearing this stuff." "Anything else future Rawk Lee?" "Nope, don't worry, the computers won't explode when the year changes to 2000, you'll buy things called "DVD's", and you'll get cable internet in your neighborhood just like your cousins in Toronto very soon. Also, get your music downloads on a thing called Napster, but don't rely on it too much a year or two from now, good luck!"
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 11th February 2010 at 05:52 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL. Hey Rawk, you forgot to tell yourself "Buy Yahoo and Google". Imagine if you'd invested some family savings and bought into these stocks... The same way Jim Caviezel's character did with his best bud in the 2000 movie, Frequency.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha...the girls I go to school with have only admired Joop PH, A*Men and Adidas Frags...So..I really give up on that...I guess If I want the girl then...hell, Joop PH it is!...though sample vials at the most :P..I guess it's the way we're brought up that depicts on how we enjoy a scent..

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Post Thanks / Like

Rive Gauche is the first frag to come to mind for me here. Very good size to price ratio, and of course smells amazing as we all know.

Post Thanks / Like

Versace Blue Jeans

ESCAPE FOR MEN calvin kelin... swore by this stuff. the shower gel..amazing

Post Thanks / Like

Back then I was wearing Cool Water, Lacoste Booster (15ml bottle and just got 4.2 bottle this month. How I miss it!), Fahrenheit, Polo Sport and CK Escape.

If I were in high school now, I would wear Rive Gauche, Silver Romance, Rochas Lui, F pour Homme Black, for instance.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

This would be a main reason I'd wear it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    This would be a main reason I'd wear it...
    That's hilarious!

Post Thanks / Like

Old Spice is what I used back in the day.

Post Thanks / Like

I wore Azzaro Pour Homme, Polo (green), and Grey Flannel back in High School. The Girls loved these back in the Day

Post Thanks / Like

What would I have worn knowing what I know now ?

Thats a tough one. All my money seemed to go to clothes. That was the "thing" in highschool. But I have always found mens fragrances to be very cool, so I know I would have wanted a bottle. Actually, highschool was very recently, so I can remember that I did want a bottle of something.

But with my knowledge of right now, well, I know I would steer clear from the junk ( Polo Sport and Eternity...etc). But I would likely have to get whatever the local discount shops were offering. And likely a couple of cheapies along the way. I don't even know if I could get ahold of alot of the fragrances that were being offered back then, but I would likely buy :

Versace Baby Blue Jeans and YSL Body Kouros. Maybe Carven Homme if available.
    Last edited by Surfacing; 14th February 2010 at 09:01 PM.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I went to high school from 1974 through 1977 and had no interest in fragrances back then, but if I knew then what I know now and had to choose from what was available then (if I'm understanding the question correctly), I would probably choose Aramis, Paco Rabanne, and Pierre Cardin. I guess these would not be considered typical high school-type fragrances, but there really wasn't any such thing around back then as far as I know (unless you count Love's Baby Soft ).

Default What did you use in highschool

so my 1st question is What did you use in high school?

2nd question Im going to be a sophmore in highschool i already got my summer scents but not sure for winter. i already have angel men. do i need to get another cologne to get compliments because i wear cologne basically to feel good and get compliments. should i get a stud like le male or not. i dont like popular cologne or aquatics for example adg, fierce , cool water, curve etc. le male's popularity is not as high as the other colognes in high school so i would not mind wearing le male

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What did you use in highschool

I wore Aramis Tuscany, and Polo, but I'm strange. Never tried Le Male.

Post Thanks / Like

I used Armani Code, definitely got some compliments from the girls in my classes with that one :-P For a winter scent Le Male could be good, also try out Burberry London

Post Thanks / Like

Drakkar and every one else wore it too. Haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Damn right you should buy Le Male! Also test 1 Million if you can, i find it very very good

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

1. Almost always...nothing. Very rarely a splash of Aqua Velva for a big date if I recall correctly.

2. Wear what you like best
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

clinique happy
    “The Sandal Tree as if to prove,
    How sweet to conquer hate by love,
    Perfumes the axe that lays it low.” Rabindranath Tagore, Indian poet.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Eternity....honrable mention: I wore Drakkar Noir to 7th-8th grade dances!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh those were good days. My locker had Aramis, Polo, Eau Sauvage, Habit Rouge, Chanel For Men, Lagerfeld Classic, and all the samples of crazy stuff I could beg from fragrance counters: Jacomo de Jacomo, Jacomo Anthracite, Azzygos (I think it was), R&G L'Homme and who knows what. Oh yeah, and my mom had bought me Halston Z-14 and 1-12.

I don't go for Le Male myself. It's also very popular, but that's a separate issue.

Post Thanks / Like

In order of most often to least often: Polo Sport (3 bottles), Jovan Ginseng NRG (3 bottles), Hugo, Cool Water, Bowling Green, Nautica, Swiss Army, Perry Ellis 360, Nautica Competition, Coty Avatar

And of course other's frags also:
    friend's Emporio Armani/Eternity/Hilfiger/Chrome, GF's CK One, occasional shot of dad's Dana Navigator/Actif Blue, or Mom's 4711

My friends had Nautica and Fahrenheit but I had the rather mature 4 bottle rotation of Zino Davidoff, Gucci Nobile, Aramis Tuscany and Colours by Alexander Julian.

If you feel you can wear Le Male in a close quarters social situation like high school and not feel self conscious I say go for it! I would recommend that you go easy on the application for your sake and others. Le Male can get out of hand fast.

Yatagan, Paco Rabanne ph, Brut... A kiddo who wore his daddy's and uncle's fragrances, and spritzed half a bottle every day without shame

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    ... and spritzed half a bottle every day without shame
    Hell yeah, and too bad all the high school ladies had that "sexual anxiety" problem wasn't it?

The cooler kids wore Kouros and Antaeus where I was, and I secretly ached to get a bottle of The Baron.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Chanel's Égoïste for the most part!

The only scent I wore through HS was of the lingering 'ode de herbal essence' I partook of every other period. LOL! I had what would be called A.D.D. now for most of my childhood and as soon as I started 'self medicating' my attention span and focus really got better.....surprisingly and contrary to common belief it improved my focus and allowed me to excel in my studies.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!