Code of Conduct

Default So I made my first niche sample purchase from lucky scent.

Boy was i let down..
    I think sometimes I can get my expectations up a little bit too high after reading some folks excellent reviews. Thank goodness i only ordered samples. I ordered the following:
    LDDM - smells exactly like a headshop oil mix of frank and myrrh
    Philosykos - smells exactly like target brand fig air freshener
    Tam Dao - cedarwood oil
    Dia Man - Was the only one I was impressed with
    Gold Man - Cat pee in a teenage locker room
    Al Oudh - smelled like moist vagina (gay man here. not interested)

Am I crazy?
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Default Re: So I made my first niche sample purchase from lucky scent.

Must we refer to vaginas as a yardstick against which scents are measured?

Take some time to get to know these, each in turn. Different roses for different noses applies here of course, but yes, perhaps your expectations were a little high.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 10th February 2010 at 11:47 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Take some time to get to know these, each in turn. Different roses for different noses applies here of course, but yes, perhaps your expectations were a little high.
    This is great advice! Unless you have already given each one of those several wears.

It's good advice; wear each sample around for a couple of days before you conclude that it's them and not you. I really disliked LdDM at first. Tauer's scents do have a rustic quality, but there's more going on there than you've noticed yet.
    You wouldn't be the first to find Tam Dao too cedar heavy but I think there again there's more to it than one note.
    And Philosykos? Wait for spring.
    Best of luck to you, sir.

I also have the same question in how much time you've spent with all of the samples you bought. While I don't expect any number of us would rank order the fragrances you bought in the same way all of them have some very good qualities to them.
    Even so they just may not work on your skin but I'd also suggest giving them a second or third try before completely giving up on them sometimes that's what it takes for you to really find the sweet spot in a fragrance.
    If you have done that then it's time to move on and try something different. Somewhere out there is a fragrance that will make you inspired to write an excellent review of a fragrance you really like.

Chacun a son gout...as they say. To each his own taste.

I think your one-liner reviews are hilarious, though! All in all, do try each scent for a few days, and at different times of the day. Humidity and heat can affect scent, too.

Sampling IS the best way to go for more expensive niche scents. (Unless you are like a high-stakes gambler and like expensive blind buys....) Usu. I try several samples in order to make it worh the postage.
    Last edited by Primrose; 10th February 2010 at 01:35 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I've been there. Eventually a person gets to know which notes, which reviewers, which houses, which perfumers connect with one's preferences. Sometimes a different season will make a fragrance sing that only barked previously. I'm hard to please, for whatever reason. In the past seven years, I've sampled 1,000 fragrances (seriously), and only about two dozens really trip my trigger. Oh, but locating each one of them was a triumph and worth the pursuit.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I also recommend you spend more time with them. Tam Dao for instance has much more than mere cedarwood going on. There are so many other scents from Lucky Scent I would have sampled other than the ones you did though. But liking 1 out of the 5 you sampled isn't bad! That's why you sample first.

Regardless, and I'm sure you will find many who disagree with me on this point, but my rule of thumb remains "niche is not necessarily better."
    Last edited by mrclmind; 10th February 2010 at 03:20 PM.

+1 to much of the above

1. Give these some time and some wearing... there's more to many of them then meets the nose right away
    2. That being said, not everyone will like the same thing. Many of these are liked by a lot of people but just as easily not liked by others and you never know which group you'll be in... Niche=different, not "better" per say
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by wooznib View Post
    Boy was i let down..
    I think sometimes I can get my expectations up a little bit too high after reading some folks excellent reviews. Thank goodness i only ordered samples. I ordered the following:
    Tam Dao - cedarwood oil

Am I crazy?
    No you're not crazy. I find that I really don't like about 99% of the niche stuff that people rave about. I agree that Dia is the only impressive one out of that list (at least out of the ones that I'm familiar with) .
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I almost always get too excited by the prospect of new sample of a frag I am dying to try. Often the real smell is a letdown. But keep trying them and keep sampling new stuff. Eventually you'll find the scents you can't imagine living without.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

I happen to be a really really a big fan ( not of the perfume, never tried it). Maybe if I come across a sample of "male armpit sweat" or "man ass" we can swap samples. Have definitely gotta try that one, though... see if it smells like anyone I know.
    Last edited by Handsome Toad; 10th February 2010 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Must we refer to vaginas as a yardstick against which scents are measured?
    A yardstick? Now that's one experienced woman.

Boy was i let down..
    Tam Dao - cedarwood oil

Am I crazy?
    I've only smelled three of those, none which I'd care to own. You're not crazy. Niche is no guarantee you'll love or even like something...

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    That was bad... funny as hell, but bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    LOL! *cringe*

Boy was i let down..
    Tam Dao - cedarwood oil

Am I crazy?
    I don't think you're crazy. Your descriptions seem apropos to me.
    Now order some more samples until you find something you like. I have at least 1500 samples of stuff I don't like.

I only have one slight disageement. Gold Man smells a little more like cat pee on grandmas rug to me.
    Last edited by thebeck; 10th February 2010 at 05:21 PM.

Boy was i let down..
    Tam Dao - cedarwood oil

Am I crazy?
    No, you're not crazy. I was very excited to try LDDM, too, and was really disappointed. Likewise with Tam Dao and Philosykos. I've only smelled Al Oudh from a vial that arrived broken, so I'll withhold judgement on that one for now. Unlike you, I'm also not a fan of Dia. Since you must be interested in fig and cedar to have ordered the samples you did, you might want to pick up a bottle of Salvatore Ferragamo PH. You can find it online for about $25. For incense, check out the Comme des Garcons incense series, Black Tourmaline, Passage d'Enfer, and Dzonghka. You'll find some you love, both niche and non-niche. Just keep smelling, man!

You're relatively new and we don't know you well yet. It is easy to dismiss many frags upon first test. There are some that take a little time to fully grasp. So not sure if you've tried them all a couple of times, worn them at all, or just dismissed them sniffing them out of the bottle or on a paper strip. Only one opinion really counts for you.

Al Aoud is oddly sensual and compelling...hmmmmm

Straight man here; interested in smelling like moist vagina only when I'm enjying one.
    Last edited by Spray; 10th February 2010 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    No you're not crazy. I find that I really don't like about 99% of the niche stuff that people rave about. I agree that Dia is the only impressive one out of that list (at least out of the ones that I'm familiar with) .
    I think there's a difference between "like" and appreciation. At least that's what I've come to learn. Very few scents do I like enough to want to wear, but I try and most often find something to appreciate about the scents. You've picked some benchmark fragrances, I wouldn't write them off so easily. Philosykos is the best fig for my money, and L'Air is a pretty special amber and incense frag.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Toad View Post
    I happen to be a really really a big fan ( not of the perfume, never tried it). Maybe if I come across a sample of "male armpit sweat" or "man ass" we can swap samples. Have definitely gotta try that one, though... see if it smells like anyone I know.
    For this, try Alexander McQueen Kingdom. Hands down smell of a man's armpit thanks to the cumin.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...me-ingredients

I agree that niche is not always better. I have many department store and even drugstore scents that I enjoy.
    Last edited by Primrose; 10th February 2010 at 09:47 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    For this, try Alexander McQueen Kingdom. Hands down smell of a man's armpit thanks to the cumin.
    If only my armpits smell like McQueen's Kingdom, I'd have women swooning whenever I raise my arms up. To be fair, I haven't smelled that many armpits to compare against but apparently my mini bottle of Kingdom doesn't contain these 'armpit extraits'...

To OP, oh yeah you're crazy 'cuz those one-line reviews are just plain loony. LOL. But unlike some others, I actually find 'first impression' reviews more useful than overwrought essays contemplating a fragrance's virtues. Only caveat: they are based on more than just a 10 minute encounter with the top notes...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 11th February 2010 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Toad View Post
    Grow up dude................just a thought!