Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Modern machismo.

I don’t know if it’s because I grew up during the 1980s and my Dad wore scents such as Lagerfeld Original and Drakkar Noir, thus creating my sense of “what a man should smell like”, but I find myself drawn to what are often described as “macho” scents.

This has lead me to discover the delights of Azzaro pour Homme, Tuscany and the rather more off the wall Yatagan. I realise that these sorts of scents can evoke in some people images of lounge lizards with medallions, receding hairlines and pony tails, but personally I’d far rather smell of mossy wood or dark smokey spices than of aquatic candied fruit or the synthetic vanilla and cinnamon that seems to dominate so many mid-market designer fragrances now.

One problem, however, is that because many of these “classic” fragrances were created in the late 70s/ early 80s, they ain’t always all that subtle! That can be part of their charm, and reducing the number of sprays helps, but sometimes these powerbombs are just a bit too much for daily office wear.

I would therefore really appreciate some recommendations of modern alternatives to these macho favourites. I’ve got Rive Gauche pour Homme and like it, but is there anything else out there? Fragrances which are descended from the beautiful brutes of 30 years ago but which are wearing sharper, more elegantly cut suits and speaking at a slightly lower volume.

I’m not altogether ruling out fragrances from the more distant past, but for the sake of this discussion, I’d like to focus on scents from the last 10-12 years or so.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Modern machismo.

Mordern Machismo almost sounds like an oxymoron with what we have nowadays. Even room-clearing frags like A*Men and Le Male do not score too high on the machismo scale, IMO.

Polo Modern Reserve?
    Amouage Epic Man (definitely)
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

Sample Versace L'Homme. It's technically a power scent from the 80s I guess, but I think it's fairly refined and wearable now.
    Not as overwhelming as some of the classic 80s powerhouses if used carefully. It is very unlike anything else from Versace.

Post Thanks / Like

Love my macho powerhouses (Antaeus, Quorum, M7, Z-14, Yatagan, Zino, etc.) and I was thinking Polo Modern Reserve as well. It is a bit more, well, reserved. Other manly but refined designer scents good for everyday wear without stinking up the joint (though that doesn't bother me) imo: Burberry London, Guerlain Heritage, Michael for Men, and even Gucci PH. Some of these might even be too close to the power frags from which they descend.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Post Thanks / Like

Besides Polo Modern Reserve I suggest:

Narciso Rodriguez for him
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Jil Sander Scent 79

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Rochas Lui
    Halston Man
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

^Rochas Lui, definitely. Modern masculine.

Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver. It takes the classic concept of Guerlain Vetiver and interprets it for the modern man. Allows you to feel classic without sharing the same scent associations of men from the past 50 years. Tom Ford's best fragrance yet IMO.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Robrobur, check out Narciso Rodriguez for Him.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Rochas Lui
    Halston Man
    +2 for Rochas Lui - this has gravitas!

Post Thanks / Like

Santos de Cartier
    Esencia Loewe
    marginally even Bois du Portugal
    Francesco Smalto PH (smells like a more herbal -spicy, but still very potent version of Drakkar Noir)

although both coming from the 80's, they are a slightly more modern take on macho powerhouse

Versace Black Jeans and Ungaro III, both from the 90s, are slightly more experimental, off-beat, creative takes on the machismo frag pattern
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 10th February 2010 at 05:39 PM.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa
    Bulgari Aqua pour Homme
    Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir
    Encre Noire
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    Ferrari Uomo
    L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme
    Gucci pour Homme
    Vetyver by L'Occitane

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver. It takes the classic concept of Guerlain Vetiver and interprets it for the modern man. Allows you to feel classic without sharing the same scent associations of men from the past 50 years. Tom Ford's best fragrance yet IMO.
    'Don't think so. The TF-V is far from Guerlains because of the simple fact that TF-V contains large amounts of Iso E Super. The latter aroma chemical constitutes a very different "wear" of a scent. An analogy would be to wear a polyester microfibre T-shirt (Guerlain) compared to a wet suit (Iso E Super in general). I personally prefer two-ply cotton, though.

I think today no specific style of scent is connected to machismo in western culture (advertisment).

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Amouage Epic Man
    Gucci pour homme
    and you could really like Eloge du traitre
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

Yes, I think so merry.waters.
    IMO Guerlain smells old. Grey Vetiver smells new and modern. If it is the ISO E Super so be it. I take my vintage in cars, and watches...not in fragrance
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 10th February 2010 at 07:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Antaeusintheair View Post
    Love my macho powerhouses (Antaeus, Quorum, M7, Z-14, Yatagan, Zino, etc.) and I was thinking Polo Modern Reserve as well. It is a bit more, well, reserved. Other manly but refined designer scents good for everyday wear without stinking up the joint (though that doesn't bother me) imo: Burberry London, Guerlain Heritage, Michael for Men, and even Gucci PH. Some of these might even be too close to the power frags from which they descend.
    I wholeheartedly agree with all of these suggestions. I would also hook your nose near Czech & Speake's Oxford & Cambridge - by the time you get to work, you'll be left with a lightly minted oakmoss which you might enjoy on warmer days.

Largo, I have a partial bottle of Polo Modern Reserve you can have for nothing, seeing as you're just above the border. If you want it, PM me your address and i'll shove it in the post.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merry.waters View Post
    'Don't think so. The TF-V is far from Guerlains because of the simple fact that TF-V contains large amounts of Iso E Super. The latter aroma chemical constitutes a very different "wear" of a scent. An analogy would be to wear a polyester microfibre T-shirt (Guerlain) compared to a wet suit (Iso E Super in general). I personally prefer two-ply cotton, though.

I think today no specific style of scent is connected to machismo in western culture (advertisment).
    When I smelled Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, my initial thought was "Wow - Guerlain Vetiver minus the tobacco note". But maybe I have been sniffing too much Iso E Super and it has damaged my sense of smell.......
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

When I smelled Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, my initial thought was "Wow - Guerlain Vetiver minus the tobacco note". But maybe I have been sniffing too much Iso E Super and it has damaged my sense of smell.......
    If "modern" means to You wearing a wet suit instead of cotton underwear, be it. In that case I would suggest Terre D'Hermes anyway. Nothing is more "macho" than a perfume that works on pure imagination and sells itself as knowledgeable transparent multifaceted. "Macho" and Terre D'Hermes may have a lot in common, no?

If "machismo" means to You being rude, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is in its own besides the strange Iso stuff not to much different to many other vetivers I know. If You want to radiate a disgusting appeal, flat-headed, brief and nevertheless utterly self confident and it is Tom Ford for unquestionable reasons, take Black Orchid into consideration.

If "modern" means to You wearing a wet suit instead of cotton underwear, be it. In that case I would suggest Terre D'Hermes anyway. Nothing is more "macho" than a perfume that works on pure imagination and sells itself as knowledgeable transparent multifaceted. "Macho" and Terre D'Hermes may have a lot in common, no?

If "machismo" means to You being rude, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is in its own besides the strange Iso stuff not to much different to many other vetivers I know. If You want to radiate a disgusting appeal, flat-headed, brief and nevertheless utterly self confident and it is Tom Ford for unquestionable reasons, take Black Orchid into consideration.
    Calm down Mary! uh...I mean merry.
    Like what you like, and we like what we like...now let us all hold hands and sing. God thank you for ISO E SUPER.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I like Terre d'Hermes and Black Orchid, but only when I am wearing my neoprene thong.

I really like Polo Modern Reserve.
    Narcisco Rodriguez is another nice one.

I like Terre d'Hermes and Black Orchid, but only when I am wearing my neoprene thong.
    So, define "modern", define "machismo" regarding the initial post. I did, and gave answers accordingly. I've omitted a certain olfactory aspect that changed meanwhile, looking back on the eighties: rubber, read condom.

Have Fun!

With all due respect...the OP asked for recommendations based on his description. We are hijacking this wonderful thread by questioning one poster's recommendations and driving off into never never land.
    If you disagree with Grey Vetiver as a recommendation, start a new thread and discuss it, but let us give this person the recommendations he /she deserves please.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

So, define "modern", define "machismo" regarding the initial post. I did, and gave answers accordingly. I've omitted a certain olfactory aspect that changed meanwhile, looking back on the eighties: rubber, read condom.

Have Fun!
    I did answer the OP's question - which I believe was to name some fragrances produced in the last 10-12 years that you consider to be "modern machismo".

Post Thanks / Like

Fahrenheit is machismo bottled. So is Varvatos Vintage.

Last edited by Spray; 12th February 2010 at 05:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think today's machismo would be in the heavy woodiness of Gucci PH and CdG 2 Man. Also in Le Male for its extreme popularity and the social expectation that that's the best thing a real man can smell of that drives that purchasing.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's an excellent question the OP had. I've been grinding my brain for like ten minutes trying to think of a macho, strong scent released in the past few years, and I can't think of any. That is not to say there aren't lots of good scents that are recently released, but "macho"? Damn, that's tough.

I definitely think YSL Rive Gauche is ultra masculine, but the OP already owns that...

Thanks for the recommendations, everybody. JDE, I've PM'd you in response to your kind offer re. Polo Modern Reserve. It's reassuring to see a few other fragrances reoccuring throughout the posts as well. I'll have to check out Rochas Lui, although I'm a little dubious about the vanilla in the drydown. I'm not a huge fan of vanilla and don't want to end up smelling like freshly baked cakes. Is that a risk?

Merry, I think you're suggesting that real masculinity lies in being secure and comfortable with oneself as a man regardless of whether one fits into any of the many male stereotypes of modern society. I think you're correct but I'm afraid I wasn't being nearly as sophisticated as you have been. By "macho", I simply mean fragrances that have something in common with the mossy, woody frags that were popular 30 or so years ago. For the essence of masculinity, however, search YouTube for the Charles Bronson "Mandom" ads. Happy, simpler times... ;-)

I suppose my real question is why these fougere and chypre scents have fallen out of favour so much when they smell so good! Sure, fashions change, but we're already living through something of an 80s revival in clothes and music so why are the kids wearing Diesel's Only the Brave?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Largo View Post
    I think you're correct but I'm afraid I wasn't being nearly as sophisticated as you have been. By "macho", I simply mean fragrances that have something in common with the mossy, woody frags that were popular 30 or so years ago.
    Maybe more "rugged" than "macho"? They haven't been replaced by more modern versions because tastes changed. Not many guys want a softer, kinder version of Grey Flannel or Quorum - violet/tonka and rose/carnation accords scare them enough as it is.

I suppose my real question is why these fougere and chypre scents have fallen out of favour so much when they smell so good!
    The fougeres have been swamped by Cool Water clones, and IFRA wants classic chypres off the market.

Some scents to consider, across the years

profumo.it - Oak Moss

Yatagan (1976 ?) It may have been reformulated, as the EdT I have isn't the beast that TPC sent. If so, the reformation is exactly what you are asking for.

Knize Ten (1924) So retro it's almost avant-garde.

Knize Forest - sits at the green junction of fougere and chypre. It's not very macho or rugged until you try comparing it to something else.

Comme des Garçons - 2 Man, Sequoia, Vettiveru, the entire Incense Series

Post Thanks / Like

He hit a home run with this one IMO.

I think Bois d'Orage is very masculine.. at least on me.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 11th February 2010 at 04:43 PM.

and IFRA wants classic chypres off the market.
    Would anyone care to elaborate on what this means?
    url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/972]Wardrobe[/url]

Merry, I think you're suggesting that real masculinity lies in being secure and comfortable with oneself ... By "macho", I simply mean fragrances that have something in common with the mossy, woody frags that were popular 30 or so years ago.
    Not exactly. Real masculinity lies in between the ears - just kidding. There is no such thing anymore. Macho meant in the eighties - as far as I have had been concerned - self confidence without any grounds but visualized sex appeal. Something rude, anti social, not to bright, though.

My personal master plan is to have an ancient, therefore very basic sweet/herbal females "signature scent", namely FLORAMYE (aldehyde, violet/orris, powder) while my girl friend uses BANDIT, that I just ordered. She promised to like it as I like my FLORAMYE. Think we don't split about it. Everyone wears what she/he likes ...

Post Thanks / Like

If we're going to assume "macho", for the purposes of this discussion, means extroverted, testosterone-fueled, nails-for-breakfast, overdone masculinity, I can't think of any scent released in the past 5 years that I've tried which falls into this category. I think you're "stuck" with the Quorums and Kouroses from the 1980s.

[/B]
    Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    He hit a home run with this one IMO.
    Again, due to the heavy usage of the aroma chemical Iso E Super in TFGV both fragrances, TFGV and Guerlains Vetiver can not be compared. After 2 showers, and about 6 hand washes I'm still aware of an Iso E Super smell on my left wrist. It was an other than TFGV, but once I tried the latter I have had the same effect. Guerlains is by far more respectful to my nose, that means to its user.

The comparison between TFGV and Guerlains Vetiver is as odd as to take a black wetsuit as a "better" concept of black than black microfibre underwear. In case of really using it as clothing the difference will show. Especially when doing a home run.
    Last edited by merry.waters; 11th February 2010 at 06:22 PM.

Amouage Silver updates the macho man in the boardroom style rather nicely. Sharp and rich, in a strong voice.

Post Thanks / Like

Gucci PH
    Encre Noire
    Bvlgari Black
    Polo Modern Reserve
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    A*Men Pure Malt

Perhaps Azzaro PH Elixir when it's available??

Post Thanks / Like

[/B]

Again, due to the heavy usage of the aroma chemical Iso E Super in TFGV both fragrances, TFGV and Guerlains Vetiver can not be compared. After 2 showers, and about 6 hand washes I'm still aware of an Iso E Super smell on my left wrist. It was an other than TFGV, but once I tried the latter I have had the same effect. Guerlains is by far more respectful to my nose, that means to its user.

The comparison between TFGV and Guerlains Vetiver is as odd as to take a black wetsuit as a "better" concept of black than black microfibre underwear. In case of really using it as clothing the difference will show. Especially when doing a home run.
    I wasn't commenting on any similarities between the two. I just liked the scent; I think he did a good job with Grey Vetiver. I prefer the Guerlain personally.

Re: ISO E Super, it is not an inherently evil aroma chemical, but I think it is to perfume what auto tune is to popular music. It can be used to good effect, or it can be used to make everything smell alike, and also to take an inferior formula and make it smell "modern" and marketable. In the case of Grey Vetiver, I feel it is used to good effect.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 11th February 2010 at 06:57 PM.

Re: ISO E Super, ... In the case of Grey Vetiver, I feel it is used to good effect.
    I like a raw vetiver without peculiar fixatives more. Even the Givenchy Vetiver is more pleasing towards a somehow male vetiver. It fishes for compliments - on men only! And it is green, fresh, shows it's wearer well minded and having brains, contemplative, what is after all a residual male domain to some degree. Same with Beene's Grey Flannel but more sharp, unmistakenly.

If You are after a rude Vetiver try ETRO. It is NOT green but heavily smokey and still airy light. A sweeter, but sharper rendition would be L.T. Piver Vetiver - that I use in dilution with isopropanol to enhance its radiation a bit. TFGV lacks any inspiration, sorry.
    Last edited by merry.waters; 11th February 2010 at 07:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nassamato Duro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    If we're going to assume "macho", for the purposes of this discussion, means extroverted, testosterone-fueled, nails-for-breakfast, overdone masculinity, I can't think of any scent released in the past 5 years that I've tried which falls into this category. I think you're "stuck" with the Quorums and Kouroses from the 1980s.
    Holding to last 5 years, I'm stumped too. Maybe Duro- but when did that come out?

Post Thanks / Like

I like a raw vetiver without peculiar fixatives more. Even the Givenchy Vetiver is more pleasing towards a somehow male vetiver. It fishes for compliments - on men only! And it is green, fresh, shows it's wearer well minded and having brains, contemplative, what is after all a residual male domain to some degree. Same with Beene's Grey Flannel but more sharp, unmistakenly.

If You are after a rude Vetiver try ETRO. It is NOT green but heavily smokey and still airy light. A sweeter, but sharper rendition would be L.T. Piver Vetiver - that I use in dilution with isopropanol to enhance its radiation a bit. TFGV lacks any inspiration, sorry.
    I judge each composition on its own merits.. I try avoid preconceived notions about what I like.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 11th February 2010 at 10:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

"and IFRA wants classic chypres off the market."
    Quote Originally Posted by conehead View Post
    Would anyone care to elaborate on what this means?
    Simply that some of the defining components and aromachemicals that went into the older chypres - from citrus top notes, to oakmoss in the base - are being ever more tightly regulated by that organization.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend to try Gucci PH I and II as well as Esencia by Loewe, and just about any vetiver scent including Encre Noir
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    One of my favorite posts to the forum in months. Don't you agree, Dimitrios?
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

What about the Havana re-release?
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

Merry.Waters, I am very curious as to why you say like Terre d'Hermes so much, when elswere in this thread you seem to vehemently dislike Iso E Super. Perhaps I am misunderstanding you.

Iso E Super makes up more than half the formula of Terre d'Hermes.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

...Iso E Super makes up more than half the formula of Terre d'Hermes.
    55%

http://www.perfumedeal.com/blog/terr...hermes-review/

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought Mr. Blass by Bill Blass last week. It is a 2009 release, but it is a modern/slightly toned down take on the 1980s powerhouses. A modern approach to the 1980s powerhouse genre. Recommended!

Post Thanks / Like

To sound like a broken record here, I think Mazzolari Lui is insanely macho (dirty patchouli and animalic juices) and was probably released within the last ten years, but is also insanely expensive ($175 for a 3.4). I think it "out-machos" most of the 80s scents. And that's coming from me, a guy who loves and wears 80s powerscents.
    Last edited by shamu1; 12th February 2010 at 12:54 PM.

Anyone remembers Dona Karan Fuel for Men. Thank god it is available again! Macho but with a very modern twist.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Merry.Waters, I am very curious as to why you say like Terre d'Hermes so much, when elswere in this thread you seem to vehemently dislike Iso E Super. Perhaps I am misunderstanding you.

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell Iso E Super has to do with this thread at all - as well as wetsuits and underwear....

Post Thanks / Like

i'm still trying to figure out what the hell iso e super has to do with this thread at all - as well as wetsuits and underwear....
    lmao

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell Iso E Super has to do with this thread at all - as well as wetsuits and underwear....
    someone wrote this:

"Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver. It takes the classic concept of Guerlain Vetiver and interprets it for the modern man. Allows you to feel classic without sharing the same scent associations of men from the past 50 years. Tom Ford's best fragrance yet IMO."

I answered exactly that:

"'Don't think so. The TF-V is far from Guerlains because of the simple fact that TF-V contains large amounts of Iso E Super. The latter aroma chemical constitutes a very different "wear" of a scent. An analogy would be to wear a polyester microfibre T-shirt (Guerlain) compared to a wet suit (Iso E Super in general). I personally prefer two-ply cotton, though."

From that You might see the connection. If not, be it.

Post Thanks / Like

someone wrote this:

"Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver. It takes the classic concept of Guerlain Vetiver and interprets it for the modern man. Allows you to feel classic without sharing the same scent associations of men from the past 50 years. Tom Ford's best fragrance yet IMO."

I answered exactly that:

"'Don't think so. The TF-V is far from Guerlains because of the simple fact that TF-V contains large amounts of Iso E Super. The latter aroma chemical constitutes a very different "wear" of a scent. An analogy would be to wear a polyester microfibre T-shirt (Guerlain) compared to a wet suit (Iso E Super in general). I personally prefer two-ply cotton, though."

From that You might see the connection. If not, be it.
    But later you were praising Terre d'Hermes which has much more of a concentration of Iso E Super than Grey Vetiver, so I don't get what your point is.

I’d like to focus on scents from the last 10-12 years or so.
    FM Vetiver Extraordinaire
    AOS Sandalwood
    TF Italian Cypress
    Alan Cumming Cumming
    Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac
    Creed Tabaróme Millésime
    Lutens Muscs Koublaï Khän
    Hermes Rocabar

Probably a lot more, I just haven't tested them yet...

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Modern machismo.

Merry.Waters, I am very curious as to why you say like Terre d'Hermes so much, when elsewere in this thread you seem to vehemently dislike Iso E Super. Perhaps I am misunderstanding you.

Preach, brther, preach!
    Last edited by Spray; 13th February 2010 at 03:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella (2002)

Should have been named "Steve McQueen"
    Last edited by adonis; 13th February 2010 at 04:07 AM.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

CH for Men - Carolina Herrera

Modern machismo with a Spanish flair. Fahrenheit Absolute + leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Coriolan / L'Àme d'un Héros*
    Lancome Miracle Homme
    Divine L'Homme Sage*
    Villoresi Piper N*
    Kiton Men
    M7

...and if further back was acceptable:
    Givenchy Xerius (black)
    Dior Jules

*= perhaps not for the office.
    Last edited by narcus; 13th February 2010 at 06:18 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we're stuck with all these great 70's-80's Powerhouses for the Macho Meter types like Shamu1 Suggested. But Polo modern Reserve, Narciso rodriguez, And Rive Gauche Pour Homme come close