Code of Conduct

Default Can you guys give me some sample suggestions on houses I'm unfamiliar with?

I hope to make a purchase towards the end of the week for a bottle of Endymion from ShopLondons. As the name would imply it's primarily English fragrance houses, most of which I am completely unfamiliar with. Look at the houses offered, can you give me some suggestions for my free samples. They say that you get 2 samples with each order, so only the best of the best will I be able to sample.

http://www.shoplondons.com/
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: Can you guys give me some sample suggestions on houses I'm unfamiliar with?

I'm not very familiar with most of the Houses they sell either, but if you're interested in sampling Floris, they offer this box of 15 samples for $20 which is a pretty good bargain if you want to try a bunch of them. I've enjoyed going through mine.
    http://www.shoplondons.com/floris-lo...t-library.html

I know you're asking about free samples, but I just wanted to point it out in case you hadn't seen it.

Default Re: Can you guys give me some sample suggestions on houses I'm unfamiliar with?

Try Amaranthine by Penhaligons and Wild Fern by Trumper, hard to tell if we don't know what you're into.

Try West Indian Limes from Truefitt&Hill, and Castile from Penhaligon's
    Extra Vieille from R&G, and Ajaccio Violets from Trumper

I got LP No. 9 by Penhaligon's there when I was visiting home during Thanksgiving. It's probably the best Penhaligon's... that and Elixir. Deeeelish.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Please do try Lp. No 9 for women as well. It's very similiar to Dune (women), and is hands-down, THE sexiest floral oriental out there. Uber, uber sexy!!!

Thanks guys, I actually have samples of all masculine/unisex Penhaligon fragrances. All the rest are on my radar. I've been curious about Floris Sandal for a while, and I've read good things about Geo F Trumper Sandalwood as well. I don't like clove, so the first 70% of LP no. 9 is way too much for me, I really dislike it, the drydown however is amazing.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I enjoyed Trumper's Sandalwood, I highly recommend a sample.

Basenotes Institution

Sandalwood by GEO F. Trumper and Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

Blog Entries

I've smelled most of the Floris and Trumpers locally.

Horrible over-simpliification: Trumpers = classic barbershop. Lots of cloves and classic smells. Their Bay Rum is great (but clovey, of course). Their extract of Limes is a cult favorite, but the lime only lasts a minute before the petitgrain takes over.

Floris: Their feminine soliflores are nice, while their masculines range from classic barbershop to wanna-be Creed.

Knowing you, I'd skip Dr. Vranjes (powdery susper-sweet Italian scents) and Caswell Massey (except maybe the super-green grassy neroli/vetiver Greenbriar, which you may enjoy)

Not that I've ever even heard of it, but now I'm curious about "Hemp and Myrtle" by Speziali Fiorentini. Feel like being a guinea pig for us??
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

If it were me I'd try the Trumper Sandalwood and Eau de Quinine - I'm curious about the Gin & Tonic note.

I noticed an Almond in there - you were looking for that recently, weren't you? Haven't tried it but might be worth a shot.

LP No9 is identical to Opium fror Men. Blenheim Bouquet is a quiet citrus scent the kind that I am sure you have already smelled. I would go from GEO Trumper :Sandalwood & Spanish Leather, from Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet (which I personally love) and from Floris : JF & Elite.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I've been curious about Floris Sandal for a while, ...
    Wearing Floris Santal today - it's a good one. It's not daring or anything, but really nice. Think of Creed Original Santal, but not Joop-y/heavy and much crisper.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Santal is, in my opinion, by far the best thing Floris do and a very good frag which stands out. Most of the rest of theirs, particularly the incredibly over-rated 89, is over-priced.

Unfortunately that link is blocked here at work, but if they have Trumpers and T&H stuff - I can honestly recommend ANY of the T&H range and Ajaccio Violets, Limes and Spanish Leather by Trumper.

Penhaglion's - Elixir and LP No. 9 if you like orientals and Amaranthine if you like florals.

The only one I'd have suggested from Floris has been discontinued, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    If it were me I'd try the Trumper Sandalwood and Eau de Quinine - I'm curious about the Gin & Tonic note.

I noticed an Almond in there - you were looking for that recently, weren't you? Haven't tried it but might be worth a shot.
    I'm really interested in the Trumpers Sandalwood. Unfortunately the Almond is only ancillary products and no fragrance.

All of the Trumper scents are outstanding. And London Bathecary is generous with samples with purchase. A good company to buy from.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Right, now I can see what's on offer (these are my OWN PERSONAL opinions)...

D R Harris - any of Arlington, Marlborough, Albany and Mayfair, all really nice scents, if fleeting (which is a problem with most Harris stuff, unfortunately);
    Floris - Santal and Santal only;
    Trumper - Ajaccio Violets (smells like parma violet sweets - if you don't like those, don't bother), Astor, Curzon, Eau de Cologne (warning about this one - it doesn't even last as long as 4711), Eau de Quinine (a quite ridiculous frag on me and I verge between loving and hating it), GFT, Limes, Marlborough and Wellington. The rest of the Trumper range has a REALLY prominent and, for me, massively off-putting heavily cloying sweet powder accord which is fine if you like that sort of thing, but if you don't steer clear;
    Penhaligon's - Blenheim Bouquet, Castile, Opus 1870 (probably my favourite frag of all time) and Quercus. As with Trumper, the rest have a big powder accord (a common theme in traditional English perfumers. Unfortunately);
    Taylor of Old Bond Street - Eton College,Mr Sidney's, St James and Shaving Shop. All of these basically a variation on the classic barbershop frag, but each one unique. Warning - avoid sandalwood, original 74 and limes, which are generally accepted to be awful.
    T&H - 1805, Clubman, Freshman, Grafton, Spanish Leather, Trafalgar and Limes. Basically all of them are top notch and my personal favourite (in terms of smell and quality, if not price) of all the trad English lot.

It's a shame they're no longer stocking J E Atkinson's/I Coloniali stuff - they've always been under the radar and in the shadow of the other English perfumers for years, which is a shame because they offer (or used to - I see most of it is, sadly, being discontinued) some great frags and the various Mirra Mirra scents were divine.