Code of Conduct

Default Borneo 1834 vs. Hungry Hungry Hippies

Sampling both today side by side (I've tried each separately before) and my pick is surprisingly the Smell Bent HHH.

Both are patchouli with chocolate and the HHH is much more gourmand and fudgey (the inspiration is pot brownies after all) and less complex, but it's a richer scent and it has an added cinnamon/cassia and mint note that the Lutens lacks. While the Borneo starts as grand patchouli with dark and bitter cocoa evolving later, Hippies morphs from death-by-chocolate into a rich patchouli drydown. I think I like the Borneo best for half an hour, but Hippies wins overall with a much stronger and pleasant base (which ultimately reminds me of Borneo's opening).

Borneo 1834 is @ $140 for 50ml of edp
    Hungry Hungry Hippies is $20 for 8ml of oil

roughly the same price per ml, but of course the Smell Bent would probably last longer than the spray so bargain hunters N.B.--not all niche need be out of reach.

Anyone with a sweet tooth or fans of Angel, A*men, L'Instant PH, Dior Homme, Borneo, and Coromandel should give Hungry Hungry Hippies a shot.

Anybody else like or dislike this Smell Bent offering?
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Default Re: Borneo 1834 vs. Hungry Hungry Hippies

Yeah the death-by-chocolate description is pretty accurate, and on me it never got over that stage. It was interesting to try, but for me ultimately too one-dimensional. I do think that Borneo is far more complex and interesting. And I wasn't happy with the way the HHH oil stained my arm in brown, it looked pretty unappetizing..

Also, jojelle.com has very strong gourmand frags that some may prefer to the similar, and much more expensive, niche ones.

HHH is great - the opening is a bit much with the chocolate, but the dry down is pretty fantastic. I got samples of the whole line - I bought a HHH as a gift, and Hippy Holidaze for myself. HHH actually made my skin red on my arm where I put it, so the concentration may be a bit high for my skin.
    I love Borneo as well, but it's a totally different creature though.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Luckily no staining for me, but I don't use much. I just reapplied a drop of Borneo and on me at least the powerful opening is very close to the base of HHH after 7 hours.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Basenotes Institution

I have a sample of HHH at home, I must try it soon. I would never have thought about putting it up against the Lutens, but I love Borneo 1834, so now I'm intrigued.