Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Real perfume help?

I'm interested in getting a real perfume.. I don't have much money, however, so >50 bucks is a no-go.

Anyway, the only scents I've ever owned are Bath and Body Works, Brown Sugar & Fig and Moonlight Path. I like these scents because they're sweet without being nauseating... and most importantly, they don't burn my nose. I like that they're kind of... soft.

Are there more complex and interesting perfumes that I might enjoy that are along these lines? Or something I should look for in fragrances?

Thank you!!

Default Re: Real perfume help?

Hmm. I'm tentatively assuming that what's burning your nose is either aldehydes or an excess of musk, so I'm keeping that in mind in the recommendations below. I should make a point of saying that I wouldn't recommend buying anything unsniffed.

My first thought for a line that has a variety of high-quality, fairly complex fragrances available in that price range is Annick Goutal. They'd only be in your price range at discounters, but there are perfectly reliable discounters, like BeautyEncounter. (Or Amazon, if you're more comfortable with them.) BeautyEncounter sells samples, too.

Another possibility is the Jo Malone line, though they break your price boundary slightly - the 30ml bottles are $55, and I've never seen them discounted. My favorite by far is White Jasmine & Mint, but Sweet Lime & Cedar also seems to be very well regarded.

The Elizabeth W line might be too plain for you, since you mention complexity - it's mostly straightforward florals. But you could try the Sweet Tea, if you can get your hands on a tester or sample. Tea, lemon, almond honey - it's very nice, and very inexpensive. And the Rose is a lovely simple rose. And I love the Magnolia. And now that I like tuberose I'll be trying the Tuberose again...

Specific fragrances that are widely available at a good price from the discounters include:

Bvlgari Black is a nice vanilla/tea/rubber fragrance, and don't let the word rubber scare you - it really is very nice, definitely worth trying.

Many people adore Rochas Tocade, a rose and vanilla fragrance. I don't get it myself, but you might love it as much as they do.

I do love Balmain Ivoire, a rather stern green and soapy fragrance - even though I usually hate soap.

Balmain Vent Vert is a shadow of its vintage self, but if you never smelled the vintage, the modern version does smell pretty darn nice.

And in general, just go sniff. Sniff everything, even if the price tag is impossible - once you know that you love a given fragrance, people might be able to recommend something with similar notes that's less impossibly priced.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, sounds like you enjoy the mild scents, A sweet-gourmand will probably be your best bet...hmmm, Maybe try Burberry London for Men It's Under $30 at my local shops!

Cheers and Good Luck!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    advice
    Thanks for your suggestions. The names of what you've suggested sound up my alley (especially Sweet Tea, yum) but, like you said, I think it would be best to smell at least a sample before buying anything.

Balavassassin, I think you're right about mild scents. But do you think a man's fragrance would be wearable for me, a woman?

Quote Originally Posted by macdo017 View Post
    Balavassassin, I think you're right about mild scents. But do you think a man's fragrance would be wearable for me, a woman?
    You could always just fix your profile to show that you're a woman. This will make your request for suggestions more helpful

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx Indie_Guy...for A second I thought I was inculpated without knowing why

Cheers Guys!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Post Thanks / Like

But that would be too easy! Haha. Fixed, sorry!