Code of Conduct

Default Tobacco notes...suggestions, please.

I am exploring tobacco scents--scents with a dominant tobacco note.

I was intrigued by the new Costamor Tabacca, so I sampled. It is a wonderful woody, warm tobacco.

It's on the sweet side with a touch of floral, and reminds me of Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir without the strong powdery notes. Long lasting. Not a ton of sillage, but the scent lasts for many hours.

BTW, this retails at $90.00 at Kitson and for $75.00 at Lucky Scent.

Can anyone else recommend tobacco scents, preferably a tobacco/floral?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Tobacco notes...suggestions, please.

I too am facinated by tobacco scents. I love Havana Vanille.
    But my most exciting tobacco find is Smoky Tobacco Premium Accord from CBIHatePerfume (#451). I have been happily playing with it, overlaying it on florals, vanillas, etc. It can amp up a smoky scent and is fabulous on its own. While at CBIHatePerfume, I also bought the butterscotch accord, which is perfect under the Smoky Tobacco.

Try Etro Palais Jamais, more leathery than floral tobacco though.

Floral tobacco says Back To Black. It starts out spicy-sweet tobacco and warms to a honeyed ambery floral.

I don't have a lot of experience in tobacco scents, as florals/orientals are usually more of my thing. But I do have a couple in my wardrobe that are tobacco prominent, but they are also gourmands: Chergui, Tobacco Vanille and Back to Black. I think Chergui is the most tobacco prominent of the bunch, and it has a lovely earthy, hay note that balances out the sweetness. Tobacco Vanille, my favorite TF, is super sweet but feels very luxurious due to the earthy sweetness of the tonka bean. The tobacco plays a major role in balancing out the sweetness of the scent. Back to Black is a very different affair. When I first smelt Back to Black, I dismissed it as a wannabe Tobacco Vanille, but oh how I was wrong. BtB couldn't be more different to TV. BtB has a huge cherry pipe-tobacco note that takes over as the scent progresses. This thing has insane sillage and longevity.

I would love to hear what other people can recommend as tobacco florals!

Besides the others recommended which i can give a +1 to all of them, the one I would also suggest you check is Sonoma Scent Studio's Tabac Aurea.

Sur la Plage

There is Jasmin et Cigarettes by Etat Libre d’Orange.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I tried Tobacco Vanille and did not find it bottle worthy, nor did I like Tuscan Leather. I will have to try Back to Black and Chergui at some point.

And petruccijc, thank you. I already have a bottle of ELdO's Jasmin et Cigarette--purchased as an inspiration from the Comte d'Orsay, my perfume patron saint. It has more of an "ashtray" accord rather than unburnt tobacco, with its usu. light fruit or vanilla scent. I find this very "authentic" in the way burnt tobacco smells.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Besides the others recommended which i can give a +1 to all of them, the one I would also suggest you check is Sonoma Scent Studio's Tabac Aurea.

Big fat second!!
    "Scent is very important. Strong fragrances suit some men, while citrus types suit others. I like my men to smell fresh and woody, but also like a man."
    Donatella Versace

For me, Cabochard is all tobacco. Tobacco chypre.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Sur la Plage

Have you tried Versace The Dreamer?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I just thought of the perfect tobacco floral: Fleur de Narcisse by L'artisan. It's very pricey, but I think it's exactly what you're looking for. I tried it several times and everytime I found something new about it. The first time all I got was earthy hay and grassy fields. The second time a smoky note creeped up on my skin, causing me to rethink the whole thing through, so I purchased a small decant to wear it a couple of times. I came up with the conclusion that it starts out like dry flowers baking on a hot scorching sun in the middle of a field of cut grass. Quite a picture, I know! But then, what I can only percieve as tobacco (it's listed in the notes), plays a major role in transforming the "slightly" floral into an earthy, leathery floral. It's a very beautiful and obviously well-thought out scent, but it didn't warrant me to purchase a full bottle. I seriously recommend this stuff.

Also, please try Tribute by Amouage. It's slightly similiar to Onda, but with way more tobacco than vetiver and a very subtle dark, somber rose that creeps up towards the drydown.
    Last edited by scent; 10th February 2010 at 11:42 PM.

Try Balsamo della Mecca by Profumo.it (La Via del Profumo). Nice tobacco that smells like candied fruit
    Evenstar

I think Burberry London for Men and Michael (Kors) for Men would be elegant on a woman. Both are more pipe/cigar tobacco than tobacco leaf or cigarette and while neither is particularly floral, there's a fruit component to each (port wine in Burberry and plums and dried fruits in Michael) that lift them above simple tobacco. Inexpensive to boot.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Quote Originally Posted by Antaeusintheair View Post
    I think Burberry London for Men and Michael (Kors) for Men would be elegant on a woman. Both are more pipe/cigar tobacco than tobacco leaf or cigarette and while neither is particularly floral, there's a fruit component to each (port wine in Burberry and plums and dried fruits in Michael) that lift them above simple tobacco. Inexpensive to boot.
    +1 Michael Kors for Men -- one of my all-time faves

I think you need to try HABANITA!
    Leather, tobacco, cigarettes and rose all wrapped
    up in a powdery veil. The drydown is amazing!!
    I agree that Cabochard is also "tobacco" through and through.
    Last edited by kewart; 11th February 2010 at 11:50 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by somerville metro man View Post
    besides the others recommended which i can give a +1 to all of them, the one i would also suggest you check is sonoma scent studio's tabac aurea.
    a b s o l u t e l y.

I second kewart's suggestion of Molinard's Habanita - it's always the first fragrance that springs to mind when tobacco comes up. Some people find it very smoky, but I find it more like fresh honey-sweet tobacco with just a whiff of smokiness, plus lots of dark leather over sheer but rather tropical florals and rich warm and boozy vanilla. It is sultry and sexy and just so jazzy...at least that's the image it conjures for me. It has an interesting history, and conception - it was released in 1921, but was originally intended to scent cigars and cigarettes and wasn't sold as a personal fragrance until a few years later.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 11th February 2010 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Big fat second!!
    Big fat third.

Also Fumerie Turque for a lot of tobacco and some florals or Ineke's Field Notes from Paris for a orange flower and tobacco.

Of the 6 best tobacco's I've tried three are hard or impossible to obtain:
    Virginia by Villoresi (intense, cured tobacco with salty immortelle and patchouli accents)
    Vintage tabarome by Creed (opulent & masculine, Habanita for Men, sort of)
    Vento Canale by Campagna (beautiful fruity-sweet pipe tobacco, done very tastefully)

Three are not:
    Via del Profumo's Tabac (perfect natural cured tobacco note with great underlying complexity)
    Alt Innsbruck Cologne: All natural tobacco & menthol. Simple & good
    C&S Cuba: Not a sheer tobacco, but it is prominent.

I've heard good things about Odori and Miller Harris tobaccos, but they didn't leave too much of an impression on me (shop sniffed only, though).
    Last edited by the_good_life; 11th February 2010 at 02:39 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

There's one from Santa Maria Novella, I think it's just called Eau De Colognia? Or Torroco or something, i can't remember which one exactly.
    It reminded me of a lighter version of TF TV... anyone know the one I mean or agree/disagree?
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 11th February 2010 at 03:02 PM.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

A big third for Habanita.

Caron's Aimez Moi strikes me as having a sweet pipe tobacco note in it.
    Last edited by VintageVogue; 11th February 2010 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Big fat second!!
    Big fat fourth! (actually fifth, counting diamondflame)

Also giving love to Back to Black, Chergui, Miss Balmain.
    Last edited by Lessa; 11th February 2010 at 05:09 PM.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lessa View Post
    Big fat fourth! (actually fifth, counting diamondflame)

Also giving love to Back to Black, Chergui, Miss Balmain.
    Make that a sixth for Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea.

http://www.sonomascentstudio.com/FragranceShop.shtml

It sounds like she's trying to play catch-up on the orders she's got in, but I'm sure she'll be taking new ones soon.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Thank you all again for the suggestions? Now I have a list of "to-try" scents!
    Last edited by Primrose; 11th February 2010 at 08:23 PM.

uuuuhhhhh, I feel like an Elephant... lol. Ok, I'll go back to the "just starting out" section
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Another nice one is Tabacco Toscano by Santa Maria Novella. It smells of light floral and creamy vanilla and very strong but smooth tobacco notes.

Thumbs up Re: Tobacco notes...suggestions, please.

Another one for Molinard's Habanita
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

and one more vote for Habanita! I just love it...I don't get all too much of the tobacco-note..although it is smokey(maybe it's the vetiver), but the rest of humanity does get all that tobacco! It's leathery, dirty vanilla..yummy! And it's pretty cheap!
    (btw:I was so stupid to buy a bottle of Roja Dove's Enslaved when I visited Harrods last year...fell in love with it and there was no other way to get it..so I smelled one day, and came back to buy the next..and a few weeks later a friend of mine let me sniff her Habanita...they are clones! Enslaved is less "dark" (doesn't have that much leather and smoke) and is three times more expensive...Now I have bottles of Habanita-Enslaved for a lifetime,thank god I love the scent.

Blog Entries

I am surprised nobody has suggested Les Exclusifs de Chanel Sycomore - to me it's the perfect tobacco-floral scent.

Notes: Tobacco, Aldehydes, Violet, Sandalwood and Vetiver.
    Last edited by blood-orange; 12th February 2010 at 08:52 AM.

Basenotes Plus

I haven't smelled many of these tobacco based scents but I do own and am a fan of Habanita- Became intrigued with it due to SMM's detailed review of it- when sniffed, fell in love. For me, it's not a smoking tobacco scent- I swear it transports me to childhood to my grandparent's living room where grandpa was a chewing tobacco "practicioner". A gross habit per se, but the smell triggers good memories.

jasmin et cigarette from etat libre d'orange

oh, now I see it has been said before.

uhm well, it's a good one.

so, another plus for jasmin et cigarette!
    Last edited by w3pearl; 12th February 2010 at 11:36 AM.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

I sampled Back to Black...and, oh, my, it's wonderful. The tobacco scent really comes through for me. It is also very pricey and this will go on my wish list. (Wedding anniversary gift hints...)

The Habanita, at this point, is more pocketbook friendly.

Again, thank you for the kind suggestions.
    Last edited by Primrose; 12th February 2010 at 11:16 PM.