Code of Conduct

Default GQ's Most Stylish Men 2010

It's always interesting to see how fashion defines itself in the face of celebrity.

This year's cover man is Johnny Depp, with fashion accessories of ink, cigarette, necklaces and winecork.

It was once when fashion houses were defined by their patrons (often royals and aristocrats, the royals sometimes granting Royal Warrants) but now it seems patrons are defined by their fashion houses. Agree or disagree? It is not new that celebrities are often paid (officially or unofficially) for the clothing they promote/wear--this goes back at least 150 years.

It is interesting to see that some men are fashion icons because they can get away with wearing anything they please (again, not a new concept as a true man of fashion dresses only for himself) and some have started clothing lines themselves.
    Last edited by Primrose; 10th February 2010 at 09:40 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: GQ's Most Stylish Men 2010

God , please dont let it be Kanye ..... His fashion line Pastelle has now been abandoned thankfully

Pharell is OK , sometimes he gets it right , cant stand BBC clothing though - the bastard child of Bape

Some guys - Johnny is a great example of just doing his own thing , I dont know if he patronises one particular house but he seems to have his look and he does it well and makes it look effortless - you know he wears the clothes , they dont wear him * see opening comment . So many have stylists they look contrived and uncomfortable .

Some of those guys in that list shouldnt even be there IMO , Ronaldo - give me a break , he is pure eurotrash D&G / Armani at its worst

Beckham seems to look great in everything , smart or casual , he can even make sweats look sexy

I guess, the term male fashion icon has become very diluted and blurred today, since some men simply get away with not just wearing anything, but also setting any trend they please, while in the case of others,only haute couture, custom-made and/or royal supplier-manufactured clothing will do.

PawelL

Patrick Wolf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by PawelL; 14th February 2010 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Some of those guys in that list shouldnt even be there IMO , Ronaldo - give me a break , he is pure eurotrash D&G / Armani at its worst
    Hehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post

This year's cover man is Johnny Depp, with fashion accessories of ink, cigarette, necklaces and winecork.

Well, it has always been Johnny Depp. But I do feel that there are others who deserve the title better than him.

God , please dont let it be Kanye ..... His fashion line Pastelle has now been abandoned thankfully

Pharell is OK , sometimes he gets it right , cant stand BBC clothing though - the bastard child of Bape

Some guys - Johnny is a great example of just doing his own thing , I dont know if he patronises one particular house but he seems to have his look and he does it well and makes it look effortless - you know he wears the clothes , they dont wear him * see opening comment . So many have stylists they look contrived and uncomfortable .

Beckham seems to look great in everything , smart or casual , he can even make sweats look sexy
    David Beckham proves the man of fashion does not really need clothing...the Armani underwear ads prove this. I am thinking of a portrait bust of a man of fashion from the 1840s...
    Last edited by Primrose; 19th February 2010 at 01:53 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Depp's outfits often remind me of what a male version of the Annie Hall look would present.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    David Beckham proves the man of fashion does not really need clothing...the Armani underwear ads prove this. I am thinking of a portrait bust of a man of fashion from the 1840s...

I agree.. David Beckham is one great fashion icon!

Don Draper from Mad Men is my style hero. But for current real-life person whose style I admire, it's George Clooney. I prefer the Clooney over Beckham because Beckham is a metrosexual, whereas Clooney is the old-fashioned yet modern gentleman. Beckham probably smells of one of his own perfume, but George Clooney is the kind of man that Henri Robert made "Chanel Pour Monsieur" for.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Depp's outfits often remind me of what a male version of the Annie Hall look would present.

Heh. True dat. Saw him at Niemans some years ago shopping with his family. Nice guy. Very shy.
    Last edited by adonis; 30th March 2010 at 06:30 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post
    I prefer the Clooney over Beckham because Beckham is a metrosexual, whereas Clooney is the old-fashioned yet modern gentleman. Beckham probably smells of one of his own perfume, but George Clooney is the kind of man that Henri Robert made "Chanel Pour Monsieur" for.
    I agree. Clooney has that old school debonair charm about him.

Another one to watch for is Robert Downey Jr. He looks pretty sharp (in suits esp.) now that he'd cleaned up his act...

Pharell is OK , sometimes he gets it right , cant stand BBC clothing though - the bastard child of Bape.
    Lol why not? Kanye dresses wayyy better than Pharell imo.. and Bape doesn't even look too great for the price. I like how Kanye can combine classical hip hop fashion which has flair but looks messy with the prep look which looks neat but boring.

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2007/10/02/1...st_getty-1.jpg
    http://www.upscaleswagger.com/wp-con...tton-scarf.jpg
    http://images.teamsugar.com/files/up...00.preview.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_koPgLXT8Mr...kanye_west.jpg

He basically started the whole shutter shade, Arab scarf trend. The father of hipster hip hop along with Pharell (Kanye's more preppy while Pharell is skater), he is definitely a fashion icon.
    50 mL (99.9%) Abercrombie Fierce available for swap. Basically brand new; cap, box, and receipt included. Open to all reasonable offers so send me a PM

I like Depp and Beckham for the award, of the previously mentioned guys. Clooney does classic, timeless elegance very well and always looks good, although I can't remember ever having seen him wear anything even the slightest bit risky.

Daniel Day Lewis is a very quirky dresser, I like his style, even if it's far from orthodox. Don't suppose he's in the running for the GQ award, though!